Jump to content Jump to content

Why do they always remove features?

What I mean is this:

50 hours of F1 2021 and I hate it. It´s no fun to me due to various reasons, in fact I find it so bad that I stopped playing racing games entirely for 2 weeks just because of how dissapointed and angry I was about F1 2021. 

However the sprint yesterday and the race today made me wanna play an F1 game again, so I started F1 2020 and continued my driver career. Season 4 and honestly the best career safe I´ve ever had in any F1 game apart from the boring car performance order changes which are basically non existent.

F1 2020 just feels so much better overall but I realised there are features in F1 2021 that I missed in 2020. For example engine failure for the player, the way the AI behaves in battles or the approximate option when it comes to the weather report. These 3 things alone would make F1 2020 even better than it already is which made me think about features from even older F1 games that should still be in the newest release. 

A few examples would be the career menu of F1 2016, the classic cars from F1 2020, the classic tracks as in F1 2013, the post race interviews being a proper press conference if you finish on the podium as in F1 2010, the scenario mode from F1 2014, the red flag from F1 2011, the many different animations for the same sake (e.g. race win) from F1 2012 or the authentic and excited radio messages also from F1 2010

All those things were already featured in F1 games from Codemasters and while most of them would "just" add something to the immersion of the game it would already make a huge difference when it comes to enjoying it, at least in my opinion. 

(And yes, I´m well aware that F1 2021 has much much bigger problems than these things not being in the game ^^)

• Agree 4
37 minutes ago, Blackout210 said:

... the classic tracks as in F1 2013,

Imo tracks add a lot of replay value to the game. it would be really great if they kept tracks from their previous F1 games: Vietnam, Hockenheim, Malaysia, Korea, India, Istanbul, etc. Having classic tracks such as Jerez, Estoril, Sebring, Magny-Cours, etc, would add a lot of replay value to the game imo, way more than that silly story mode.

• Agree 8

I actually didn’t buy 2020 for 6 months after launch... I now do this with all games.. by then serious issues have been resolved and you can pick the game up heavily discounted.... Only got 2021 on week off release as it was same week i eventually got my hands on a ps5.

But you think 2020 is a better more polished game.. but was it as polished  2 months after release.. I’m guessing but I doubt it... It astounds me but a lot off games take a year off patching and other updates before they are actually finished... and to where they should be on release...

i was following a bug a bug report and the member posted that she hadn’t been able to play it once as it crashes every time she starts the game... a cm employee asked her why its taken her 2 months to report the issue... and she said and it actually upset me... all games are released with loads off bugs I thought after a few patches it would work... says it all... when we buy a product and are not only are we not surprised it doesn’t work...but we pretty much expect it..

All software developers do it... industry standard... but with loot boxes and pay to win and games like cyberpunk.... developers have crossed the line off what is acceptable and albeit slowly those in power who have the power to force change are starting to take notice..  trouble is the majority off those people in power are at an age when gaming was sitting round a table playing monopoly... 

Edited by ScaredDuck
16 minutes ago, FS7 said:

Imo tracks add a lot of replay value to the game. it would be really great if they kept tracks from their previous F1 games: Vietnam, Hockenheim, Malaysia, Korea, India, Istanbul, etc. Having classic tracks such as Jerez, Estoril, Sebring, Magny-Cours, etc, would add a lot of replay value to the game imo, way more than that silly story mode.

It would be great if the game had a large roster off Tracks that are capable off holding F1 races...  That you could swap in and out at the start off every new season in career 

• Agree 7
8 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

It would be great if the game had a large roster off Tracks that are capable off holding F1 races...  That you could swap in and out at the start off every new season in career 

Imagine how much leagues would love this feature.. Would literally make every player happy

• Agree 2
19 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

Imagine how much leagues would love this feature.. Would literally make every player happy

I don’t know online players seem to find something to cry about...   self obsessed and it must be the game and not their lack off skill that makes them spin off.. sorry a online player annoyed me earlier... 

id love it cause I can leave out the tracks I hate because I find them hard

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Haha 1
Just now, ScaredDuck said:

I don’t know online players seem to find something to cry about...   self obsessed and it must be the game and not their lack off skill that makes them spin off.. sorry a online player annoyed me earlier... 

No worries lol im pretty amused by them thinkin 99% of the players only play online so it should be Codemasters sole focus😂

• Agree 1
8 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

No worries lol im pretty amused by them thinkin 99% of the players only play online so it should be Codemasters sole focus😂

F1 I expect make it clear they want this game to be accessible to as many people as possible.. as it helps raise F1 profile.... it’s a old famous sport but not very popular. Compared to other sports.   most games are bought and played by casual players who play an hour here and there...  esports is growing and f1 want to have a toe in.  But it’s massively less popular than real f1.  F1 wants to needs to attract the masses to stay relevant... and casual players massively outnumber online players without real f1 there’s no online f1

Edited by ScaredDuck
7 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

F1 I expect make it clear they want this game to be accessible to as many people as possible.. as it helps raise F1 profile.... it’s a old famous sport but not very popular. Compared to other sports.   most games are bought and played by casual players who play an hour here and there...  esports is growing and f1 want to have a toe in.  But it’s massively less popular than real f1.  F1 wants to needs to attract the masses to stay relevant... and casual players massively outnumber online players without real f1 there’s no online f1

I'm not sure how the OP's post has led to this diatribe against online players? 

First of all many casual players play online, there's not a wall there between casual and online. Online player doesn't automatically mean eSports wannabe.

I would wager more people would play online if the experience was better designed, more reliable and had more effort put into it. 

In the end all players just want the game to be better and yes people want the modes they play to be improved first, this is perfectly natural. 

It's funny and I would guess a generational thing that this forum, which most players will never read or know exists, seems to have such hostility to online play which again, is not some niche corner of the game where only league players resides, it's a major part of the product. 

3 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

First of all many casual players play online, there's not a wall there between casual and online. Online player doesn't automatically mean eSports wannabe.

I would wager more people would play online if the experience was better designed, more reliable and had more effort put into it. 

In the end all players just want the game to be better and yes people want the modes they play to be improved first, this is perfectly natural. 

It's funny and I would guess a generational thing that this forum, which most players will never read or know exists, seems to have such hostility to online play which again, is not some niche corner of the game where only league players resides, it's a major part of the product. 

I wouldnt say its hostility towards online play, its just (at least for me) that im annoyed by those few that think online is the most important and most played part of the game.. Nothing against everyone else on my side

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

I’m not hostile to online players.  In general.  Online play on most games requires certain amount off dedication.  No one want to play against fellow humans and suck.  Against ai no one knows.   

Ill hold my hands up not slept in 3 days(severe insomnia) and a post annoyed me and I’ve bit... But like I’ve said I care as much about online players experience as they do my offline experience..

maybe it’s cause I’m old but I still think getting 20 players to play the same game at the same time despite players being all round the world..  you’d expect issues 

online offline. You know what really sets the game apart from the majority off games.... No poxy zombies... I hate zombies... it’s been done so many times but still they come.   See all these great looking games. The you read info.. set in a world ripped apart by a deadly virus that has killed lots but lots turned zombie.  

Wanr to know why stars wars became so big despite being sci-fi...  set in space but star destroyers were like actual  earth destroyers. Death Star models were made from cannibalising model warship kits.  Laser guns fired like guns and not some overtop firework display... most the aliens were bi-ped.  Although fantasy it wasn’t over the top.

looking on psStore whilst waiting for update and it’s all zombies 

Edited by ScaredDuck
On 9/12/2021 at 11:59 PM, Blackout210 said:

F1 2020 just feels so much better overall but I realised there are features in F1 2021 that I missed in 2020. For example engine failure for the player,

I’m not sure which game mode you’re referring to there, but engine components can fail in Career modes - it has happened to me (energy store and MGUK) in one of my “MyTeam” seasons. There is a setting somewhere which controls types of failures and frequency of those failures. 

I agree with the general thrust of the post though, for example they removed the results screens from the practice programs which has been a major drawback for me.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 1
On 9/12/2021 at 11:59 PM, Blackout210 said:

What I mean is this:

50 hours of F1 2021 and I hate it. It´s no fun to me due to various reasons, in fact I find it so bad that I stopped playing racing games entirely for 2 weeks just because of how dissapointed and angry I was about F1 2021. 

However the sprint yesterday and the race today made me wanna play an F1 game again, so I started F1 2020 and continued my driver career. Season 4 and honestly the best career safe I´ve ever had in any F1 game apart from the boring car performance order changes which are basically non existent.

F1 2020 just feels so much better overall but I realised there are features in F1 2021 that I missed in 2020. For example engine failure for the player, the way the AI behaves in battles or the approximate option when it comes to the weather report. These 3 things alone would make F1 2020 even better than it already is which made me think about features from even older F1 games that should still be in the newest release. 

A few examples would be the career menu of F1 2016, the classic cars from F1 2020, the classic tracks as in F1 2013, the post race interviews being a proper press conference if you finish on the podium as in F1 2010, the scenario mode from F1 2014, the red flag from F1 2011, the many different animations for the same sake (e.g. race win) from F1 2012 or the authentic and excited radio messages also from F1 2010

All those things were already featured in F1 games from Codemasters and while most of them would "just" add something to the immersion of the game it would already make a huge difference when it comes to enjoying it, at least in my opinion. 

(And yes, I´m well aware that F1 2021 has much much bigger problems than these things not being in the game ^^)

it's so they can bring them back in future releases and everyone goes "OH THANK YOU SO MUCH, CODIES! YOU'RE SO AMAZING!".

It's an EA trick that they've been using in their sports games for years.

9 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

I’m not sure which game mode you’re referring to there, but engine components can fail in Career modes - it has happened to me (energy store and MGUK) in one of my “MyTeam” seasons. There is a setting somewhere which controls types of failures and frequency of those failures. 

I believe the point made was that the player failures in F1 2021 were something missed when going back to play F1 2020.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, milook said:

it's so they can bring them back in future releases and everyone goes "OH THANK YOU SO MUCH, CODIES! YOU'RE SO AMAZING!".

It's an EA trick that they've been using in their sports games for years.

The EA deal came too late in F1 2021 development cycle for them to have any say on the final product. 

That's not to say that Codemasters could be pulling one of these "tricks" on their own, but even the skeptic in me does not believe in that. More likely a wrong turn in the path of streamlining the gameplay. Seems like they got it wrong in this but hit the mark with the Quick Practice feature.

Whatever the reason though, I'd be glad to have it rectified. There will be no "thanks Codies love you xoxo" from my part as I do not buy games blindly and I'm all for the driving experience here.