Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao: Well done, Codemasters!

So, I just raced my first few laps around Portimao and at first glance I gotta say, it is really really well done!

The elevation changes translate really well into the game and the track feels authentic. I still need to compare it to some real life onboards for the usual minor nitpickings but based on what I've seen so far I think it's really well done.

Either way, I tip my hat to the team on a job well executed. Can't wait to try it out some more and looking forward to Imola and Jeddah next 🙂

Edited by CptBalloonhands
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Wow what a great track!

Drove a handful of laps and still did not get below 1.20 mins, looks like it needs its own setup of sorts. This is a huge addition to the game and I am looking forward to see how it feels in a competitive race. Judging from TV pictures I thought the start finish straight would be longer before the elevation, but i m sure they got this one correct 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great job Codies, the elevation changes are incredible, it is a really enjoyable circuit. I think it is perfectly designed. Looking forward for Imola and Jeddah, I'm sure they will be perfect recreated. Honestly, great job

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
40 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

Great track, and not really that hard to learn must say. With the default balanced setup it’s perfectly driveable without being punished when using a lot of the curbstones.

Solid track, looks as high quality as I expect from Codemasters. Agree with the above, a lap or two in and you can start attacking and finding areas where you can gain time, there's not anything major to worry about, little snappy hitting the throttle out of a couple of corners but this is with basic setup as well. 

Reference points initially tricky as there's not much going on around the track to pick out for braking but it once it starts coming together it has a natural flow to it, you can feel the Moto GP rhythm of it, and a final sector I'd love to see lifted wholesale into Catalunya but that's another thread. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Another one of my World Records gone!

Is it intentional that you run out of ERS in the middle of the last corner like 5 seconds off the line in qualifying? The track is great, just this little thing slightly irritating but also happening to the AI so its not a disadvantage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding setups, going by the Pirelli's track previews we'd have something like this:

1123507493_PortimaoTrackComparison.png.71f23b50e7881371a9bb020253adb944.png

Pirelli also sets the maximum camber at -3.25°/-2.00° front and back respectively. From the selection above, that's close to the parameters for Mexico and Brazil 2019 (-3.5/-2.0) and Spain 2021 (-3.25/-1.75).

Whenever I sit down to come up with a setup I bet it will end up looking like a mix of my Brazil and Mexico setups.

@Meza994 my guess is that it is not intentional. ERS is greatly simplified in the game comparing to real life – and honestly, I'm mostly ok with that. If I'm not mistaken, the engine modes regarding ERS in the game should aim for:

• Medium – Net positive charge, ending each lap with extra battery with extra charge by capping the deployment;
  • Hotlap – Full 4MJ deployment per lap. Should always get you to the finish line though, hitting the deployment cap thereabouts;
  • Overtake – Deploys the full 160BHP from the hybrid system up to the 4MJ hard cap.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
11 minutes ago, marioho said:

@Meza994 my guess is that it is not intentional. ERS is greatly simplified in the game comparing to real life – and honestly, I'm mostly ok with that. If I'm not mistaken, the engine modes regarding ERS in the game should aim for:

• Medium – Net positive charge, ending each lap with extra battery with extra charge by capping the deployment;
  • Hotlap – Full 4MJ deployment per lap. Should always get you to the finish line though, hitting the deployment cap thereabouts;
  • Overtake – Deploys the full 160BHP from the hybrid system up to the 4MJ hard cap.

Yeah i thought as much which is why i posted it😉

I knew picking this track in a new myteam career as it comes so early on in the season and Only thing I know about it is it’s complex and havnt got the durability to Be able to put in the practice laps. Would bite me... 

Ohwell need to learn it. So may as well in race... and as a rule once I setup game options at start I don’t change them.  But for this race I think ai needs to lose 20 points. And on hard I bet they still fly past me

This is easily the best track in the game. Codies have done an excellent job capturing the feel and character of the circuit. I do think it really highlights the fact that most of the other circuits need to be rebuilt from the ground up. Most of them have been in the game for several years and their age is really starting to show, especially when Codies do such a good job bringing the new circuits to the game.

Portimao is such an amazing track to drive, particularly in an F1 car. I really hope it gets a permanent slot on the calendar. Would be gutted not to have it in next year's game.