Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao: Well done, Codemasters!

very good track. Take a look yesterday on bottas onboard pole lap form the official grand prix and it looks very good. All the bumps and kerbs are in. I would hope that we become an actual update for monza, spa and austria that looks authentic like this track. The first pictures of Imola in the trailer are great. Looks that imola will be one of the most detailed tracks on F1 2021 game.
I really enjoy the last update. 

contra - dots on tires and halo  (shadow artifacts) are always there
          - screen tearing in replays and cutscenes not solved with 1.10

It is strange, I can see noithing of the issues in the portimao hotlap video, but it is in TJ´s video track guide from yesterday.

• Agree 1

@scared duck I cannot drive with any TRL Limitless settings, because of his anti roll bar and suspension settings. I don´t know how different it is to play with a 10000 or more dollar rig with changing the steering wheels like shoes for every game, but the setups are really not working for me on the dual sense. I´m testing my own setups. It has a lot to do with the driving style. I hate most of the you tube stuff. They think all they were professional drivers and talking like they were real F1 drivers. They do nothing more that playing a F1 game the whole dayz when other guys are at work. They play the whole day a game and creating videos and talking like a boss. 

• Agree 2
11 minutes ago, MadEvilBeavis76 said:

contra - dots on tires and halo  (shadow artifacts) are always there
          - screen tearing in replays and cutscenes not solved with 1.10

It is strange, I can see noithing of the issues in the portimao hotlap video, but it is in TJ´s video track guide from yesterday.

PJ says he's on "Xbox Series X in Performance Mode", at least in the previous Monza and Zandwoort vids (where dots are there). I wonder if he changed something or switched to a PC for the occasion.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, advanceapple said:

the circuit itself is nice enough but the understeer of the cars is embarrassing. on 50 laps 5 clean but very slow.
give yourself a rule that giving gifts to shut up people are all good.
make this game as it should be of the right rule and not a ********.

The elevation changes and curved braking zones of this circuit are a handling killer, just like in real life. Maybe watch a track guide from real drivers like Rosberg and Grosjean, or the stellar work PJ Tierney did with Codemasters' own guide, to get a feel of what to do with your throttle. The elevation changes will constantly shift the load all around and consequentially the grip available for your tyres, so there will be a lot of oversteering on corner exit and understeering on corner entry for those unaware of the dynamics at play.

Also suggest running with the default setups at first before the community comes up with real ones for this track. All the extremes that specially the youtube meta does in that senseless chase of a "fast" setup will not go down well with the nature of this circuit.

Great opportunity too to learn to tweak brake bias on the fly for extra tenths per lap.

10 minutes ago, MadEvilBeavis76 said:

They think all they were professional drivers and talking like they were real F1 drivers. They do nothing more that playing a F1 game the whole dayz when other guys are at work. They play the whole day a game and creating videos and talking like a boss. 

I've said a good deal about a select few of youtubers and streamers already and hesitate to keep on hitting that same key. But even more astonishing is how they try to sound technical just to get fundamental things all wrong. Seriously, the game tooltip at the screen isn't the best piece of writing in the world but if they at least stuck to that they would still hit the mark somehow. But nope, there are youtubers out there that don't even know what direction to go in a slider to add more camber to an axle.

It's a shame, really, because the sim racing community is huge and full to the brim with knowledgeable and dependable guys with a solid understanding of vehicle dynamics – often built from real track days.

• Agree 1
52 minutes ago, MadEvilBeavis76 said:

@scared duck I cannot drive with any TRL Limitless settings, because of his anti roll bar and suspension settings. I don´t know how different it is to play with a 10000 or more dollar rig with changing the steering wheels like shoes for every game, but the setups are really not working for me on the dual sense. I´m testing my own setups. It has a lot to do with the driving style. I hate most of the you tube stuff. They think all they were professional drivers and talking like they were real F1 drivers. They do nothing more that playing a F1 game the whole dayz when other guys are at work. They play the whole day a game and creating videos and talking like a boss. 

To be fair to TRL Limitless on this one I doubt he'd suggest his setups as being suitable for controller players, just as I wouldn't have thought any wheel-based setups would be?

24 minutes ago, joserdcosta said:

Well done codemasters. My favourite circuit 🙂

Regards!

This is an example of once devs really want a perfectly executed track they definitely can do it. I wish every single track on this game would've got this sort of a fantastic overhaul one day. 👍

• Agree 3
1 hour ago, Blackbird said:

This is an example of once devs really want a perfectly executed track they definitely can do it. I wish every single track on this game would've got this sort of a fantastic overhaul one day. 👍

How did you manage to read my (and everyones) thoughts?

@PJTierney secretly keeping the gems for his own channel

Portimao is a beast and to be fast and consistent there you need to have a good notion for what is going on with your car as you dive and hike those hills and take on both on- and off-camber corners.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, advanceapple said:

do we speak with or without driving assists?

'we' were talking more without assists I suppose but I bet the same is true with. 

@PJTierney's two videos are probably a good place to start if you haven't watched them already. I'll also just add to not forget that the elevation changes will have an impact on handling, which may be why you're finding some sections more challenging than you are expecting.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, marioho said:

You crest a hill on the exit of Turn 8, if I'm not mistaken. When doing so the weight is shifting quite a lot and unloading the rear. Depending on your rear wing setup and throttle application you're bound to have the back sidestep in there. I need to ease off the throttle as I get to the top and keep my eyes on the steering to not have issues compounding one over the other as the rear unloads.

Not saying the game is correct or that you're doing something wrong. Maybe by the parameters you're running (setup + driving) you did indeed find a spot where the game simulation falls short, but in the 8-10 laps I did quickly today I did not find any funny business going on.

It’s not the exit I’m having issues with, I’ve got no issues with the throttle control. The back end is just swinging round mid-corner. Firstly I thought I was just going too fast on entry but I even tried to take it a bit slower and the back end is still so unstable, even after trying multiple different setups.

3 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

It’s not the exit I’m having issues with, I’ve got no issues with the throttle control. The back end is just swinging round mid-corner. Firstly I thought I was just going too fast on entry but I even tried to take it a bit slower and the back end is still so unstable, even after trying multiple different setups.

Are you able to record a lap and upload it so we can see whats happening?

5 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

Avoid the curb on the inside and take a wide line late on the breaks then easy on the throttle. Make sure the car is as straight as possible.

19 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

As @Ialyrn proposed, it would be more helpful if you could upload a clip. The back end swinging mid-corner sounds pretty much like a throttle application issue to me as you're feeding power to the wheels in excess to the progressively decreasing grip they have as you the track levels out.

Chain Bear will break down these concepts way better than I ever could even dream of:

The whole video is worth a watch but the link above is timestamped to the most pertinent part.

• Like 1
Just now, marioho said:

As @Ialyrn proposed, it would be more helpful if you could upload a clip. The back end swinging mid-corner sounds pretty much like a throttle application issue to me as you're feeding power to the wheels in excess to the progressively decreasing grip they have as you the track levels out.

Chain Bear will break down these concepts way better than I ever could even dream of:

The whole video is worth a watch but the link above is timestamped to the most pertinent part.

Unfortunately I’m unable to make a clip right now but sorry I forgot to mention that is happening off throttle.

Just now, Luke1991 said:

Unfortunately I’m unable to make a clip right now but sorry I forgot to mention that is happening off throttle.

No problem, mate! 

The issue can still happen off-throttle. Let's say you enter a corner at the highest top speed possible without handling issues, according to your grip. Your wheels are putting all that power down through the grip available. Suddenly your grip levels drops significantly. Even if you're not sending more power (by having some degree of open throttle), you're still exceeding the grip available to the rear axle, resulting in oversteering. 

Haha these kinds of corners, with elevation changes (dips and crests) and with some sort of camber (slanted sideways) are tricky to get right. Both on the driving and in the setup sides. Regarding setups, I'll be playing a lot with anti-roll bars and camber to get the car to behave to my liking in this circuit.

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Luke1991 said:

Do you happen to trail brake?

I only ask, as trail braking can cause over rotation in the mid corner in some instancs.

• Social Media & Community Team
13 hours ago, marioho said:

@PJTierney secretly keeping the gems for his own channel

Not really 😅

Basically, I did the official guide and it went out (below for those that missed it).

On Monday evening after work I thought "Hmm, well I can't do it again. People have seen it already on the official channel" so I whipped up this instead.

It's a bit more general whereas the official guide is quite specific, though I guess it works as sort of a second helping.

Incase anyone missed it, this is a deep-dive into every corner. Perfect for beginners 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Luke1991 said:

sounds like your rears are locking up under braking, causing your back to break out. set the brake bias 1-2% to the front and try to lock the off throttle diff around 80%. Also setting brake pressure down to 98-96% might help. But as others wrote, it also might be your braking style and also the type of the elevation change on a specific corner. It is easier to brake going uphill as gravity helps slowing you down, you can brake later. Braking downhill will shift the weight of the car towards the front, the rear will get lighter and will become much easier to lock up. Be gentle on the brakes and ease the brake pressure earlier when you fell your rears locking up.