Jump to content Jump to content

Portimao: Well done, Codemasters!

6 hours ago, milook said:

You're a typical example of a consumer suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. Codies can now release F1 games that don't even have the official tracks in it and have stats from the previous season. They barely have to do anything but you will defend them. They'll even increase the price of the game, as they did this year, so you pay extra for the privilege AND you thank them for it. It's scary that you and so many others can't even recognise that.

Slipping once or twice is fine, we chalk it up to just being careless on the writing or not putting much thought on the comment. But this is the third time already I see you trying to peg this colloquial idea of Stockholm Syndrome on members of the forum in here. This is literally the 4th time the term has been thrown around in the whole forum:

image.thumb.png.6ec7134fbce2d6058c9e507974c27803.png

You undoubtedly know this is crass, so I won't waste our time here pointing out what is a deliberate choice of yours.

I'm taking a shot at the other half. Albeit being assertive, you do realize that your argument is as stuffless, right? If we were to keep on the trend of using fancy terms, that's top to bottom the definition of the straw man fallacy. 

Codemasters have warranted a fair share of criticism for the state F1 2021 was put out and the business model, though adopted industry-wide, is falling rapidly behind what we as consumers now deem acceptable. But the frame you're painting is so grossly off the mark I seriously see no point in your criticism. It is absolutely expected that the official F1 game will have all the official tracks for the season, and we did not get that. Why?

Reasons have been laid out time and again by different users and even staff going over what prompted the game to be released without the Portimao (confirmed on the calendar only on March 2021), Imola (confirmed on January 2021) and Jeddah, that as of April 2021 looked like this:

image.thumb.png.89599e24674b470af26cb46b308944c2.png

We are riding high on September already and there's still a To Be Confirmed on the schedule for Round 20 in November in a press release on the 28th of August that was supposed to announce the definitive second leg of the season.

Now the contingent nature of the 2021 season wouldn't suffice as an excuse if tracks were made by simply importing a Google Earth screenshot and running it on, dunno, the microwave. Put it in, 2min, spin spin spin and there you go, just push the 3D assets in an update and and it's done. These are complex resource consuming tasks and definitely the major point to understand what went on. Truly fundamental to dish out reasonable criticism on the devs (or praise for Portimao) if you want to argue in good faith. The best thing though, even if you were not aware of the process before just yesterday you had @Ialyrn and @CptBalloonhands shedding light on the matter.

This "the official game must have the official tracks" will only carry you so far. Calling people apologists and labeling them as "suffering from Stockholm Syndrome" will set you back a step or two. 

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1
10 minutes ago, marioho said:

Slipping once or twice is fine, we chalk it up to just being careless on the writing or not putting much thought on the comment. But this is the third time already I see you trying to peg this colloquial idea of Stockholm Syndrome on members of the forum in here. This is literally the 4th time the term has been thrown around in the whole forum:

image.thumb.png.6ec7134fbce2d6058c9e507974c27803.png

You undoubtedly know this is crass, so I won't waste our time here pointing out what is a deliberate choice of yours.

I'm taking a shot at the other half. Albeit being assertive, you do realize that your argument is as stuffless, right? If we were to keep on the trend of using fancy terms, that's top to bottom the definition of the straw man fallacy. 

Codemasters have warranted a fair share of criticism for the state F1 2021 was put out and the business model, though adopted industry-wide, is falling rapidly behind what we as consumers now deem acceptable. But the frame you're painting is so grossly off the mark I seriously see no point in your criticism. It is absolutely expected that the official F1 game will have all the official tracks for the season, and we did not get that. Why?

Reasons have been laid out time and again by different users and even staff going over what prompted the game to be released without the Portimao (confirmed on the calendar only on March 2021), Imola (confirmed on January 2021) and Jeddah, that as of April 2021 looked like this:

image.thumb.png.89599e24674b470af26cb46b308944c2.png

We are riding high on September already and there's still a To Be Confirmed on the schedule for Round 20 in November in a press release on the 28th of August that was supposed to announce the definitive second leg of the season.

Now the contingent nature of the 2021 season wouldn't suffice as an excuse if tracks were made by simply importing a Google Earth screenshot and running it on, dunno, the microwave. Put it in, 2min, spin spin spin and there you go, just push the 3D assets in an update and and it's done. These are complex resource consuming tasks and definitely the major point to understand what went on. Truly fundamental to dish out reasonable criticism on the devs (or praise for Portimao) if you want to argue in good faith. The best thing though, even if you were not aware of the process before just yesterday you had @Ialyrn and @CptBalloonhands shedding light on the matter.

This "the official game must have the official tracks" will only carry you so far. Calling people apologists and labeling them as "suffering from Stockholm Syndrome" will set you back a step or two. 

Beautiful 😍  😁. Hate reading.  But I could read you all day😂

• Haha 2
  • Disagree 1
On 9/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, CptBalloonhands said:

Back on the topic of Portimao, I opened a bug report about this yesterday, but has anyone else noticed the red and white kerbs being extremely dark in some conditions?

curbs2.thumb.jpg.9bce706d97f88157d8b6095512ea7f98.jpgcurbs3.thumb.jpg.1fde66e661dfee4ac6d860d78285013e.jpgcurbs5.thumb.jpg.53cb9d76b5929949d1e96dc44a51d868.jpgcurbs1.thumb.jpg.d2122393437dfcc0bda842fb22b143af.jpg

I can't reply to your report as I always race in Clean Dry/Midday conditions so I didn't notice anything. Just wanted to ask you how did you manage to add the "bug" and "visuals" tags to your post:

Capture.JPG.8f54803e48121754d614ffcabb216248.JPG

31 minutes ago, zApPaDiEtRo said:

Oh, thanks. I'm on Firefox, no adblock, but that Tags feature is totally missing... Well, it was just a curiosity.

I just had a look and don't have this either, using Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

@zApPaDiEtRo @CptBalloonhands If I remember correctly, only moderators and above can add tags in the F1 support forums. This is because they're used as filtering options for the dev team.

I'd certainly agree with that, blue tags are especially useful as you can easily see admin or mods comments, info or questions about the topics reported. As a member I don't really need that option, was just wondering why it seemed like some non-staff users can use those tags too.

On 9/13/2021 at 9:51 PM, Luke1991 said:

I’ve always enjoyed this track on other games so was excited to see how it would be in the F1 game. For the most part it’s great, but what the hell is going on with turn 8??? Ridiculously unrealistic sudden oversteer every lap no matter what line you take or how slow you go... Losing 3 tenths a lap to the AI in one corner.

I’m just going to give an example as havnt actually been to that tract let alone driven on it.

Brands hatch is made up off 2 circuits. Grand Prix and the tiny but awesomely fun indy circuit..

when you drive the full circuit where you turn left (to go through the countryside..) is where the Indy circuit goes straight on to last corner before the home straight....  on that intersection if your on the Indy track there a  very slight left just before then you go up a shallow rise... then hard brake the the right leading onto the straight..

that little left it’s not really a corner... but go through it at slight wrong angle and your rear  end steps out on you.. this was some years ago.. and despite in safety briefing before you go out on track and they warn you to be mindful... you would always see a few unfortunate souls completely taken by surprise

you say unrealistic how the car steps out...  but how do you know...   Because you havnt seen any f1 cars do it..?   But maybe   the TEAM off race engineers in each team... some being the best off the best... night know a thing or to about the track and know how to set up the car to negate it and what’s more f1 has the very best drivers and maybe you don’t see the car spin because they may know it’s there and adjust for it...., after first couple of times I lost it there:. I now carry more speed so I can roll through the slippery  before accelerating and what do you know since the first couple off time apart from the occasional little bum wiggle I’ve been fine

• Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team

I mentioned it in the official track guide a bit:

• Because of the elevation change, the four tyres of the car have different weight loads placed on them compared to when the road is flat.
  • If there's too much load on the fronts or not enough load on the rears, or a big difference between left/right, the chance of the car rotating is increased.

Portimao has at least 7 places where this phenomenon can occur, whereas Monza has none (except for the kerbs of course).

• Agree 2

From the provisional calendar that's been leaked Portimao and Imola are off the calender next year, which is a shame as there fun tracks to drive due to elevations changes etc and most likely won't be in the game next year. We get the Miami track that's literally built in a flat car park 🤮

Edited by TomAAA
1 minute ago, TomAAA said:

From the provisional calendar that's been leaked Portimao and Imola are off the calender next year, which is a shame as there fun tracks to drive and most likely won't be in the game next year. 

I'd be careful believing leaks when it comes to sports news, especially when you've got people actively faking driver announcements 😄 

Just now, PJTierney said:

I'd be careful believing leaks when it comes to sports news, especially when you've got people actively faking driver announcements 😄

True but the calendar has been reported on by some well known F1 journalists 

Just now, TomAAA said:

True but the calendar has been reported on by some well known F1 journalists 

If Dieter Renken is one of them I'll pay attention 🙂 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

If Dieter Renken is one of them I'll pay attention 🙂 

No comment from Dieter yet on that. Although his article about the 'trucks' F1 drivers will soon be racing is interesting LOL

Crazy how heavy they are getting and maybe needing to go even heavier. First these regs were meant to be 768, then 775 now 790kg isn't enough. I remember the 2010 cars going to the 'beastly' weight of 620kg LOL

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.11.15.png

Edited by TomAAA
29 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

From the provisional calendar that's been leaked Portimao and Imola are off the calender next year, which is a shame as there fun tracks to drive due to elevations changes etc and most likely won't be in the game next year. We get the Miami track that's literally built in a flat car park 🤮

do you have a link to the calendar?

nvmd, found it https://then24.com/2021/09/17/this-will-be-the-formula-1-calendar-for-2022/

I already don’t believe it’s legit because they put Melbourne as one of the first races. There is no way that’s happening. 

Edited by CptBalloonhands
7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

@zApPaDiEtRo @CptBalloonhands If I remember correctly, only moderators and above can add tags in the F1 support forums. This is because they're used as filtering options for the dev team.

Is @CptBalloonhands a 'moderator or above' though? I'd wondered if it might be something like this but there is nothing indicating any special status by his name?