Jump to content Jump to content

Penalty scenario in qualy 2 - advice needed

So I’m about to go into Q2 for the US Grand Prix, and have a interesting scenario I need some advice on.

My current (and only functioning) energy storage unit (had one fail on me earlier in the season), is now 75% worn. Going into Q1, I take a new energy storage unit and incur a 10 place grid penalty for the race - fine.

I qualified P1 in Q1 (so my pace is good) and given I will have the 10 place grid penalty, want to start on the mediums to run longer into the race.

Should I run Q2 with mediums or softs? Whatever position I finish in Qualy, my starting grid position will be outside the top 10. Does this give me free choice of tyre for starting the race or will I have to use the set from Q2?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

🖖🏽

19 minutes ago, Monzie83 said:

So I’m about to go into Q2 for the US Grand Prix, and have a interesting scenario I need some advice on.

My current (and only functioning) energy storage unit (had one fail on me earlier in the season), is now 75% worn. Going into Q1, I take a new energy storage unit and incur a 10 place grid penalty for the race - fine.

I qualified P1 in Q1 (so my pace is good) and given I will have the 10 place grid penalty, want to start on the mediums to run longer into the race.

Should I run Q2 with mediums or softs? Whatever position I finish in Qualy, my starting grid position will be outside the top 10. Does this give me free choice of tyre for starting the race or will I have to use the set from Q2?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

🖖🏽

You will have to use the set you qualified on in Q2 if you get into Q3. You wont be allowed a free choice of tyre if you get into Q3. As the penalties get appiled after the session. If you can get through on mediums and then qualify as high as possible in Q3, is your best option.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

You will have to use the set you qualified on in Q2 if you get into Q3. You wont be allowed a free choice of tyre if you get into Q3. As the penalties get appiled after the session. If you can get through on mediums and then qualify as high as possible in Q3, is your best option.

Thank you - I thought this would be the case.

14 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Personally if i take an engine penalty like that i take the full lot including new gear box. Do a P20 to … challenge. Makes it more interesting for me coming through the pack.

Normally I’d do the same (when I was finishing in the middle somewhere as I was in Season 1), but am in a title fight this year and need every point I can get - USA is not one of my “good tracks” and I’m only playing 25% races so little chance I can get the points needed.

Most of my power unit components (1 of each left), are in fairly good shape to take me through the final few races I think, but will be worn - I estimate around 65-75% by the last race. But am now wondering if I should take another power unit element that is potentially “at risk” right now, maybe the ICE - would that would incur a further 10 place penalty? Or does it depend on the power unit element taken?

Edited by Monzie83
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Monzie83 said:

Thank you - I thought this would be the case.

Normally I’d do the same (when I was finishing in the middle somewhere as I was in Season 1), but am in a title fight this year and need every point I can get - USA is not one of my “good tracks” and I’m only playing 25% races so little chance I can get the points needed.

Most of my power unit components (1 of each left), are in fairly good shape to take me through the final few races I think, but will be worn - I estimate around 65-75% by the last race. But am now wondering if I should take another power unit element that is potentially “at risk” right now, maybe the ICE - would that would incur a further 10 place penalty? Or does it depend on the power unit element taken?

I’m not sure exactly. I think a new ice would be another 10 places. I know gear box is 5 places. Normally when i take everything its a 65 place grid penalty 🤣

might be 10 for each component (ice, mguk, mguh, ce, energy store, turbo) plus 5 for grear box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

but am in a title fight this year and need every point I can get - USA is not one of my “good tracks” and I’m only playing 25% races so little chance I can get the points needed.

How did you get on, you manage to score some good points ? 😁

10 hours ago, Jobling1983 said:

How did you get on, you manage to score some good points ? 😁

Worked out extremely well. Just about made it into Q3 on the mediums (P8 I think). Eventually qualified in 2nd and started 12th with the grid penalty. Made up 3 places in the first stint, with everyone else on softs. Went in on Lap 6, came out dead last, but managed to get up a few places consecutively as I got in the DRS zones behind cars at the right time. Everyone else goes in around lap 8/9 and I smash it because I’m in clear air. I pass about 15 cars in the pit window over those two laps, eventually behind Hamilton, and Leclerc coming out of the pits and Russell who is yet to pit. Overtake the first two on track and Russell when he pits. Comfortable first place by about 3 seconds - somehow managed to find a good rhythm over the whole race. 2nd in the Drivers championship, 1 point behind Bottas, 11 in front of Hamilton. 2nd in constructors. Four races to go and should get some wins out of the next 3 and finish well in Abu Dhabi - looking good for the drivers champ and 2nd in constructors at the end of the season. Happy days 😎, (unless I get any more mechanical failures - had 2 this season already…)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Monzie83 said:

Worked out extremely well. Just about made it into Q3 on the mediums (P8 I think). Eventually qualified in 2nd and started 12th with the grid penalty. Made up 3 places in the first stint, with everyone else on softs. Went in on Lap 6, came out dead last, but managed to get up a few places consecutively as I got in the DRS zones behind cars at the right time. Everyone else goes in around lap 8/9 and I smash it because I’m in clear air. I pass about 15 cars in the pit window over those two laps, eventually behind Hamilton, and Leclerc coming out of the pits and Russell who is yet to pit. Overtake the first two on track and Russell when he pits. Comfortable first place by about 3 seconds - somehow managed to find a good rhythm over the whole race. 2nd in the Drivers championship, 1 point behind Bottas, 11 in front of Hamilton. 2nd in constructors. Four races to go and should get some wins out of the next 3 and finish well in Abu Dhabi - looking good for the drivers champ and 2nd in constructors at the end of the season. Happy days 😎, (unless I get any more mechanical failures - had 2 this season already…)

Brilliant! Good luck with the championship. I’m hoping COTA is a bit easier since the recent patch. AI were so fast through the S section in sector1.

58 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Brilliant! Good luck with the championship. I’m hoping COTA is a bit easier since the recent patch. AI were so fast through the S section in sector1.

Cheers mate. I’ve always struggled with COTA for some reason. It’s odd because it’s quite a flowing track and similar to Silverstone in that respect, and I do really well there, but suck here. Thinking about it, I used to play a lot of multiplayer in 2020 and it hardly got picked, so maybe I’m just unfamiliar with it. Btw the AI seem to be still quite fast through the S section here after 1.10, but I can’t tell if it’s the patch or my greatly upgraded car. I read somewhere today they reset the TT leaderboards so imagine something has changed in the way the cars behave - must apply to AI also.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Monzie83 said:

Cheers mate. I’ve always struggled with COTA for some reason. It’s odd because it’s quite a flowing track and similar to Silverstone in that respect, and I do really well there, but suck here. Thinking about it, I used to play a lot of multiplayer in 2020 and it hardly got picked, so maybe I’m just unfamiliar with it. Btw the AI seem to be still quite fast through the S section here after 1.10, but I can’t tell if it’s the patch or my greatly upgraded car. I read somewhere today they reset the TT leaderboards so imagine something has changed in the way the cars behave - must apply to AI also.

1st sector kills me.  2nd and 3rd no problem... buts it’s good fun cause lose time in first sector then often make up time in next 2 sectors and get the overtake at end off the home straight... then lose place in first sector and that goes on until pit stops.  I do 50% races Both ai who start on softs and me do 2 stops... but they 99% time go soft soft  medium.  So I do soft medium soft..  so I lose out mid race.. but second stop I’m on  softs and less fuel weight... and   Can get away with dropping front wing by 2.. Chasing ai on half warn mediums.. generally catch them with a couple off laps to go...  but if trying to pass ai  Hamilton... I love it cause that’s when I you see the ai at its best..