Jump to content Jump to content

What do we want? Large track roster!!! When do we want it??

It seems having a larger track roster is something we all pretty much want..

Im sure owners off whichever tracks would jump at the chance to have their track on the roster.. exposure etc.  

FOM surely wouldn’t object... would give F1 more exposure in countries it doesn’t currently race... 

would make F1 game more attractive. For instance.., people in turkey would be more likely to buy game if they had the option off picking a Turkish circuit To race on.  

Only real issue i see is if codemasters  willing to put time into training ai 

• Agree 5
2 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Im sure owners off whichever tracks would jump at the chance to have their track on the roster.. exposure etc.  

FOM surely wouldn’t object... would give F1 more exposure in countries it doesn’t currently race... 

would make F1 game more attractive. For instance.., people in turkey would be more likely to buy game if they had the option off picking a Turkish circuit To race on.  

Don't think it's to do with CM but more so to do with the "Powers that be" that govern how close the F1 game should be to the real F1 season. 

E.g, I doubt we'll have ex F1 tracks in here like Sepang if it doesn't appear in the F1 calendar for that year. 20/21 has been a strange year with Covid and changes to the season so it will be an exception. Maybe even 2022. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
2 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

I’m sure it all comes down to licensing.  No major track will allow their track to be used in a game for free.  I assume the current year calendar is covered by the F1 license.  Each additional track would need to be negotiated and paid for by CM/EA separately.  
Im sure this is something we all want but is not nearly as simple and easy as it sounds.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

It’s clearly possible (licence issues or not) as they have done it in other games...

It’s clearly something a lot of people want...

Seems like a no brainer really...

Let’s say i own a modern race track with all the facilities to host F1.  Which only gets used weekends for professional races.  And during the week it’s mainly trackdays...  

one day  cm contact me and indicate they are interested in using my track as part off their track roster for  their official F1 game that’s sold worldwide..  would I agree to do it for free? Of course I would... free worldwide advertising.. if nothing else people locally who raced on my track in game.  Might pay to do an occasional trackday.

Not that easy?  It’s easy to send a mail 

F1 won't allow it. To host a real GP you have to pay F1/FOM a massive fee etc, F1 won't allow a track that does not pay them to host a race the free exposure to have the official game and this seasons F1 cars drive around it.

They could maybe get around it by having classic cars drive around non official circuits but F1 won't allow the official game and official current seasons cars to drive around tracks that have not coughed up for a real GP first 

Edited by TomAAA
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1
1 hour ago, ScaredDuck said:

Let’s say i own a modern race track with all the facilities to host F1.  Which only gets used weekends for professional races.  And during the week it’s mainly trackdays...  

one day  cm contact me and indicate they are interested in using my track as part off their track roster for  their official F1 game that’s sold worldwide..  would I agree to do it for free? Of course I would... free worldwide advertising.. if nothing else people locally who raced on my track in game.  Might pay to do an occasional trackday.

Not that easy?  It’s easy to send a mail 

Fees are In the 6-7 figure range from what I have read in the past.  And that is only for tracks have not already signed exclusive deals for other games or maybe have some contract that limits them from selling to CM.

There are added complexities with licensing tracks individually that I’m sure could be dealt with.  But, my point is, it is not as simple as sending a mail and getting best wishes from some local track manager.  It is going take a serious investment each year to acquire additional tracks.  I would certainly buy DLC to get the additional content.  But it is not clear whether enough people would do that to get a significant return on their investment. 

While Codemasters are not being lazy and sending these mails out, how about to Indycar?! I sure do miss Indycar 05, lets get those cars in the game!

They're close enough to F1 right? And I'm sure they'd love some free worldwide advertising as well. 

Why stop at tracks?!

Edited by KNT2011
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

While Codemasters are not being lazy and sending these mails out, how about to Indycar?! I sure do miss Indycar 05, lets get those cars in the game!

They're close enough to F1 right? And I'm sure they'd love some free worldwide advertising as well. 

Why stop at tracks?!

I fully agree, I would love to win Indycar championship and then get transferred to F1 to emulate how some real-life drivers have done. Oh, and having spent 10 years in F1 I want to race in DTM for another two years.

Also, having a career with classic cars would be amazing, like picking Hunt in 1973 and driving for another 10 years with authentic tracks and drivers! I am 100% sure all players will support me on this, so Codies should do it!

Edited by Axaios
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, KNT2011 said:

Why stop at tracks?!

Maybe that’s EA ultimate goal... Using there influence to license  all major motor racing and put then in cm stable...

Then we can look forward to every racing game being like the next... release year on year.. They might not even bother rinsing 🙄

Yes I know it’s not that easy 🙄 

Silverstone wouldn’t be here anymore... F1 were serious about pulling the race.  Unless silverstone was brought up to spec.. Silverstone Top brass have said if they lost F1 race with the revenue they make from it... Wouldn’t be able to cover running costs.. so their option was to update or close . 

Im not talking about a guy that’s got a old speedway track is garden... I’m talking about as I said Tracks that are considered capable off holding a actual F1 race😒

I live ten minutes from brands.. would love it in the game... But it’s pit area isn’t big enough to host a F1 race anymore.. so no point putting it in game..

whsts that green eyed thing

I think it would be great to have them all back.  Malaysia.  Nurburgring. Hanoi, Imola, Istanbul, portugal.    I get the licensing issues, but you've already got the assets made; so if licensing is an issue and costs need to be recovered, then release them as paid DLC, or as part of a Deluxe edition or something.   Along with classic cars to sweeten the deal.  I know, I know, classic cars used to be free, why pay now?  Well; it's to help cover those costs for the tracks/cars not in the game.

I'd even be ok if we couldnt use the tracks in career modes if that's a licensing issue too.  As long as they are available for all other modes like grand prix, time trial, online, etc.

Just a thought.  The more variety the better, it keeps the replay value there through the year.  You can only run the same 22 tracks so many times, usually after 5 or 6 career mode seasons over several career saves the game gets stale.

• Agree 1

When I’m bored and my thumbs have nothing better to do... and esp like this week where i go days without sleep... I’ll post random stuff sometimes it’s good stuff but most times it’s nonsense to pass time.  Even if being I’m serious I don’t take myself seriously and most things I say on here and in life my tongue is in my cheek.  So don’t get upset just chill they are only words on a forum 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

Why stop at tracks?!

I know you're joking but Indycar have already licensed their video game rights to Motorsport Games. The new Indycar video game was announced in July.

Oh, and the president of Motorsport Games? Stephen Hood, former Codemasters Creative Director (F1 2012-2013) and Chief Game Designer (F1 2010-2011). 

It's a small world.

29 minutes ago, Sector4 said:

I know you're joking but Indycar have already licensed their video game rights to Motorsport Games. The new Indycar video game was announced in July.

Oh, and the president of Motorsport Games? Stephen Hood, former Codemasters Creative Director (F1 2012-2013) and Chief Game Designer (F1 2010-2011). 

It's a small world.

Think they are doing British touring cars also.... which was a codemasters game... Put them on the map for racing games 

5 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

What even is this thread?

Don't know how serious you were with that offhand remark, but very often we get random threads with "look at how this mod exclusive for PC exclusive for Assetto Corsa Competizione made by a team of 3D modeling designers that make a living out of Blender looks so much better!" and "this game is so unrealistic guys I'm telling you I should not be spinning on these kerbs like this no I do not care about replays and wheel placements I should not be spinning see how easily Hamilton laps this circuit on real life". 

It is as legitimate of an opinion as any of those. Worst case scenario, someone will drop by and enlighten why they not drive like a seven times world champion, or why licensing IP is hard - including the rights to depict a private venue in a representation of private championship.

If we were all to resort to "go play modded ACC" or "go play Mario Kart" this community would take a spin for the worse.

Back on topic, I'd wager it's safe to assume that Codemasters would want to pack their games to the brim with content they already have, which includes classic cars and tracks. Not only that, just imagine being able to go through, say, the current hybrid era in a career game, driving the "classic" cars that actually were the final product of F1 2018, F1 2019 etc? The livery updates season after season, the calendar roster... This is all content already present in Codemasters database.

A few weeks ago Microsoft announced they'd be delisting one of their Forza games. Reason, the license for the cars had expired. Imagine that, not being able to buy a digital game that is already made, patched and updated, just sitting idly at the Xbox store servers, because the license expired?

Licensing is tough business sealed in a room with suited up individuals trading offers and discussing minutiae of contract clauses. Very often these deals deviate from what common sense would have as reasonable just because one side of the table managed to arm wrestle the other out of it for a couple more quids. 

Hopefully, with EA adding to our side of the table (yeah, I chuckled) Codies can wrangle better deals in the future. There are interesting ideas being dropped in this forum that didn't even occur to me before, like having "legacy" tracks available for GP mode, detached from the F1 202x Championship®. That's a substantially different proposal from simply portraying the current championship everywhere. Costs extra, but then again, licensing is an extended and tiring bargaining. That suits EA well 😉

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, marioho said:

Don't know how serious you were with that offhand remark, but very often we get random threads with "look at how this mod exclusive for PC exclusive for Assetto Corsa Competizione made by a team of 3D modeling designers that make a living out of Blender looks so much better!" and "this game is so unrealistic guys I'm telling you I should not be spinning on these kerbs like this no I do not care about replays and wheel placements I should not be spinning see how easily Hamilton laps this circuit on real life". 

It is as legitimate of an opinion as any of those. Worst case scenario, someone will drop by and enlighten why they not drive like a seven times world champion, or why licensing IP is hard - including the rights to depict a private venue in a representation of private championship.

If we were all to resort to "go play modded ACC" or "go play Mario Kart" this community would take a spin for the worse.

Back on topic, I'd wager it's safe to assume that Codemasters would want to pack their games to the brim with content they already have, which includes classic cars and tracks. Not only that, just imagine being able to go through, say, the current hybrid era in a career game, driving the "classic" cars that actually were the final product of F1 2018, F1 2019 etc? The livery updates season after season, the calendar roster... This is all content already present in Codemasters database.

A few weeks ago Microsoft announced they'd be delisting one of their Forza games. Reason, the license for the cars had expired. Imagine that, not being able to buy a digital game that is already made, patched and updated, just sitting idly at the Xbox store servers, because the license expired?

Licensing is tough business sealed in a room with suited up individuals trading offers and discussing minutiae of contract clauses. Very often these deals deviate from what common sense would have as reasonable just because one side of the table managed to arm wrestle the other out of it for a couple more quids. 

Hopefully, with EA adding to our side of the table (yeah, I chuckled) Codies can wrangle better deals in the future. There are interesting ideas being dropped in this forum that didn't even occur to me before, like having "legacy" tracks available for GP mode, detached from the F1 202x Championship®. That's a substantially different proposal from simply portraying the current championship everywhere. Costs extra, but then again, licensing is an extended and tiring bargaining. That suits EA well 😉

Your so eloquent 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨😂

No seriously you are...  😁

• Haha 1

I often question the license excuse.

I mean, F1 2013 had 4 tracks that were not part of the calendar, F1 2015 had all cars & tracks of the 2014 season, some games had shorter layouts & classic cars, F1 2019, 2020 & 2021 have F2 cars from the previous season. Yes there is license deals, and it costs money, time & resources to add extra content but looking at content in past F1 games it seems like if CM really wants to include something they will figure out a way and do it. 

An extra track DLC for F1 2020 that included Nurburgring, Imola Portimao, Mugello, and Istanbul would add a lot of replay value to the game. Same goes for adding tracks from previous games such as Hanoi, Hockenheim & Sepang. 

• Agree 2
4 hours ago, TomAAA said:

Only classic cars were allowed to be used on those tracks not the current season cars of that year.

Not true, I played F1 2013 a lot and did many custom race weekends on the classic tracks using 2013 cars.

• Agree 4

Anyone else remember Ubisoft's "Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2"? It was the sequel to Ubi's "F1 Racing Simulation". The company had lost the F1 license after the first title, but released an F1 game anyway, without the F1 branding and with made-up driver names and manufacturers. The game did have all the official race tracks and the company supplied a livery editor and the ability to edit the track textures. The modding community (of which I was a part of) took it upon themselves to release "unofficial official" patches to make the cars look like the real F1 cars, and update the looks of the race tracks to replicate the real season. I'm not saying Codemasters should drop the license, but what if they made the game more moddable to allow 3rd parties to add custom race tracks? I'd gladly spend some of my free time making tracks like Nurburgring or Mugello 🙂 It would absolve them of 'including tracks that aren't part of the calendar' by putting it in the hands of the community. Maybe there is a clause in their F1 contract about this too, who knows.... just an idea 😋... After seeing how great Portimao was received I am just so hungry for more tracks!

• Like 2
On 9/15/2021 at 2:41 AM, ScaredDuck said:

Think they are doing British touring cars also.... which was a codemasters game... Put them on the map for racing games 

Yes, they are and the BTCC game will have an eSports series tied to it. It's supposed to come out next year but there's been radio silence since August last year. 

• Agree 1
On 9/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, ScaredDuck said:

And to have a team big enough to compete their objectives on time as clearly they aren't. (broken games on release) But yeah the more tracks outside the calender the better.