Jump to content Jump to content

Performance Mode Fix on Series X - When?


Recommended Posts

Is there anything new regarding the 120 fps performance mode on Xbox Series X? The in-game wheel is flickering and visually lagging when this mode is enabled in any mode at any time. It's very annoying while driving. Will this be fixed or updated soon? Quality mode is fine but most people would prefer to have the smoother frames.

Not sure if Codemasters is even aware of this. @BarryBL can you clear this up?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have a quick search of the bug section if I were you, and if you can't find a suitable thread just start one. I'd include TV details too in case this is relevant, as I have a suspicion this isn't an issue all XSX players are experiencing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'd have a quick search of the bug section if I were you, and if you can't find a suitable thread just start one. I'd include TV details too in case this is relevant, as I have a suspicion this isn't an issue all XSX players are experiencing.

Agreed as I have watched YouTube vids of people streaming races using series x and steering wheel and while it accepted that there is a 0.2 delay from steering wheel to car turning( not on pc though) they don’t have the problems this thread has stated.
 

Maybe also worth a net search to check your wheel and screen set ups are right too surprising what a little change can make( found that with my controller settings).

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Silverchris said:

Agreed as I have watched YouTube vids of people streaming races using series x and steering wheel and while it accepted that there is a 0.2 delay from steering wheel to car turning( not on pc though) they don’t have the problems this thread has stated.
 

Maybe also worth a net search to check your wheel and screen set ups are right too surprising what a little change can make( found that with my controller settings).

Odd. I have been missing my apex.. consistantly... I thought it is me... Its not? Delaying response?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2021 at 7:04 AM, GestirnZinker97 said:

Is there anything new regarding the 120 fps performance mode on Xbox Series X? The in-game wheel is flickering and visually lagging when this mode is enabled in any mode at any time. It's very annoying while driving. Will this be fixed or updated soon? Quality mode is fine but most people would prefer to have the smoother frames.

Not sure if Codemasters is even aware of this. @BarryBL can you clear this up?

I play on XSX here; I always have mine in quality mode though.  I ran one race in performance mode when the game first came out to see the difference but never noticed any issues of course several patches have come out since then.

I'll try a race shortly in performance mode to see if I have these issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ran two races in performance mode and I didn't notice any issues visually driving in cockpit view or any other view you can see the wheel.  I never pay much attention to it and i was actually quite impressed by how cool the shadows from the halo look as they move across the inside of the cockpit as I was driving.  guess I only just noticed it as I was focused on it.   If anything maybe I felt the steering wheel was turning slower than id expect, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me.  No flickers etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, GestirnZinker97 said:

Is there anything new regarding the 120 fps performance mode on Xbox Series X? The in-game wheel is flickering and visually lagging when this mode is enabled in any mode at any time. It's very annoying while driving. Will this be fixed or updated soon? Quality mode is fine but most people would prefer to have the smoother frames.

Not sure if Codemasters is even aware of this. @BarryBL can you clear this up?

Have the same issues with performance mode. Play with XSX, LG C17, Fanatec DD2 and cant enjoy the performance mode. Its unplayable  

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the people that are having this issue and are using a TV specifically. Have you made sure that its software is fully updated, and have you made sure that any "game mode" it has, is actually turned on?

Historically, TV's have not been the greatest of screens to play games on. With higher latency, usually upwards of 20+ms in a lot of cases. Even higher without the "game mode" turned on. It is highly noticable in racing games and first person shooters. Due to the nature and fast pace of the games. If you are using a wheel specifically, it will be highly noticable. As the force feedback wont line up correctly to what you happening on the TV. This is becuase the wheel will be recieving and sending data faster than the TV can display what is happening. It causes a massive disconnect with racing games.

It is also worth making sure you are running at the correct resolution settings, as a HDMI 2.0 TV will only do 4k60. Some will only allow 120hz at 1080p, so its an important setting to check.

The Xbox series X can output 1080p120, 1440p120, and 4k120. But only if the display you are actually using supports it. If you are using a HDMI passthrough device or EDID (extended display identification data) workaround to force the console to run at 120hz on an unsupported 60hz only display. You will get frame tearing and stutter.

This may not be what is happening with you all, but it is something to check. Anyone experiencing this issue on their Xbox series s/x, NEEDS to make sure they include what TV or Gaming monitor they are using. They also need to make a full bug report to codemasters, so that it can be investigated properly.

 

8 hours ago, Driver74 said:

Play with XSX, LG C17, Fanatec DD2 and cant enjoy the performance mode.

{Post edited at 20:19 to remove wrong information. Thank you @IGLDuskwalker82
for highlighting my mistake 👍
}


For everyones information, HDMI 2.0 can carry these signals, when paired with an appropriate panal; that can handle these maximum resolutions and refresh rates -

1080p/240hz
1440p/144hz
4k/60hz

HDMI 1.4 spec support these maximums -

1080p/144hz
1440p/85hz
4k/30hz

These are the highest refresh rates those two specific HDMI specifications can output. But you will only be able to use them if your display actually works with them. If you force things to use high refresh rates, it always causes stutter and screen tearing. Even on gaming monitors.
So it is very worth checking your displays specifications and TV's settings. If you ever replace your TV or monitor for a different, newer version. Always do a google and youtube search, and see what its performance is like while gaming. It saves a lot of headaches.

A bit of an infodump, but information that may be worthwhile in topics such as this one. I hope it helps in some way.

Edited by Ialyrn
edited to remove wrong information
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, IGLDuskwalker82 said:

Sorry lalyrn, But this is bs. 
 

the LG C17 is an actual OLED TV from 2021 with 4 HDMI 2.1 Ports and of course the TV is capable to Display 4K@120 hz  

 

The information i looked up was muddled up with a c7 review and tech specs. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. Much appreciated

Edited by Ialyrn
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

For the people that are having this issue and are using a TV specifically. Have you made sure that its software is fully updated, and have you made sure that any "game mode" it has, is actually turned on?

Historically, TV's have not been the greatest of screens to play games on. With higher latency, usually upwards of 20+ms in a lot of cases. Even higher without the "game mode" turned on. It is highly noticable in racing games and first person shooters. Due to the nature and fast pace of the games. If you are using a wheel specifically, it will be highly noticable. As the force feedback wont line up correctly to what you happening on the TV. This is becuase the wheel will be recieving and sending data faster than the TV can display what is happening. It causes a massive disconnect with racing games.

It is also worth making sure you are running at the correct resolution settings, as a HDMI 2.0 TV will only do 4k60. Some will only allow 120hz at 1080p, so its an important setting to check.

The Xbox series X can output 1080p120, 1440p120, and 4k120. But only if the display you are actually using supports it. If you are using a HDMI passthrough device or EDID (extended display identification data) workaround to force the console to run at 120hz on an unsupported 60hz only display. You will get frame tearing and stutter.

This may not be what is happening with you all, but it is something to check. Anyone experiencing this issue on their Xbox series s/x, NEEDS to make sure they include what TV or Gaming monitor they are using. They also need to make a full bug report to codemasters, so that it can be investigated properly.

 

{Post edited at 20:19 to remove wrong information. Thank you @IGLDuskwalker82
for highlighting my mistake 👍
}


For everyones information, HDMI 2.0 can carry these signals, when paired with an appropriate panal; that can handle these maximum resolutions and refresh rates -

1080p/240hz
1440p/144hz
4k/60hz

HDMI 1.4 spec support these maximums -

1080p/144hz
1440p/85hz
4k/30hz

These are the highest refresh rates those two specific HDMI specifications can output. But you will only be able to use them if your display actually works with them. If you force things to use high refresh rates, it always causes stutter and screen tearing. Even on gaming monitors.
So it is very worth checking your displays specifications and TV's settings. If you ever replace your TV or monitor for a different, newer version. Always do a google and youtube search, and see what its performance is like while gaming. It saves a lot of headaches.

A bit of an infodump, but information that may be worthwhile in topics such as this one. I hope it helps in some way.

Really good info here for some I suspect.  My tv lets me output at 4k-120 from my XSX and I had no issues in performance mode as I reported earlier.  However just now I'm realizing that these guys are talking about lag from their wheels as control inputs.  When I first read the OP I thought they were talking about the visual steering wheel in game being late to respond to control inputs because the OP said "The in-game wheel is flickering and visually lagging".  Now I see this is more about control inputs and the visuals not being synced.

Either way though I also strongly suggest people double check their settings.  I know I can go into the tv options and settings on the xbox itself and change options around and all of the sudden my visuals are way out of whack as well.  Some of these settings can certainly cause issues. 

For example when I first got my tv and my XSX I had big visual & audio sync issues.  Not the kind that you can fix with the delay settings in your tv either, it was the opposite of what your tv and surround sound systems let you adjust.  I forget how I resolved it now, but it's working fine so I touch nothing. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 2:28 PM, Ialyrn said:

For the people that are having this issue and are using a TV specifically. Have you made sure that its software is fully updated, and have you made sure that any "game mode" it has, is actually turned on?

Historically, TV's have not been the greatest of screens to play games on. With higher latency, usually upwards of 20+ms in a lot of cases. Even higher without the "game mode" turned on. It is highly noticable in racing games and first person shooters. Due to the nature and fast pace of the games. If you are using a wheel specifically, it will be highly noticable. As the force feedback wont line up correctly to what you happening on the TV. This is becuase the wheel will be recieving and sending data faster than the TV can display what is happening. It causes a massive disconnect with racing games.

It is also worth making sure you are running at the correct resolution settings, as a HDMI 2.0 TV will only do 4k60. Some will only allow 120hz at 1080p, so its an important setting to check.

The Xbox series X can output 1080p120, 1440p120, and 4k120. But only if the display you are actually using supports it. If you are using a HDMI passthrough device or EDID (extended display identification data) workaround to force the console to run at 120hz on an unsupported 60hz only display. You will get frame tearing and stutter.

This may not be what is happening with you all, but it is something to check. Anyone experiencing this issue on their Xbox series s/x, NEEDS to make sure they include what TV or Gaming monitor they are using. They also need to make a full bug report to codemasters, so that it can be investigated properly.

 

{Post edited at 20:19 to remove wrong information. Thank you @IGLDuskwalker82
for highlighting my mistake 👍
}


For everyones information, HDMI 2.0 can carry these signals, when paired with an appropriate panal; that can handle these maximum resolutions and refresh rates -

1080p/240hz
1440p/144hz
4k/60hz

HDMI 1.4 spec support these maximums -

1080p/144hz
1440p/85hz
4k/30hz

These are the highest refresh rates those two specific HDMI specifications can output. But you will only be able to use them if your display actually works with them. If you force things to use high refresh rates, it always causes stutter and screen tearing. Even on gaming monitors.
So it is very worth checking your displays specifications and TV's settings. If you ever replace your TV or monitor for a different, newer version. Always do a google and youtube search, and see what its performance is like while gaming. It saves a lot of headaches.

A bit of an infodump, but information that may be worthwhile in topics such as this one. I hope it helps in some way.

Thx for your try to help but your TV spectification are wrong in my case.

I have a 2021 LG Oled with HDMI 2.1 Its a special TV for gaming (input lag boost, VRR/GSync, AMD Freesync prime ...). The Input Lag is 6-12 (addicted from my settings).

I have many friends in my league, who try to use the performance mode with good monitor's. They play with highest fps on PC and have no problems.  The moment when they use the performance mode, they have the same issues like me.

Its a fact that the performance mode have big issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...