Jump to content Jump to content

Camera positioning in relation to steering/


Recommended Posts

I’m going to confuse myself here and apologies for confusing you.

Ok when driving car the ideal place to spot your tune braking, turning and apex is front cockpit view...   pretty much every racing sim I’ve played is the same...  

But problem is for me anyway is so little field off view..  how F1 driver do it with everything else they have to be swears off.   I know we can remove the halo support.. but when I tried cockpit view with the support In place I was shock by how much it obstructs your view..

Any way so like most I drive tv pod view...  Now I expect @PJTierney may understand me and have an answer..  I already use his esports camera settings..

So my question is does it effect your steering inputs by Changing camera position..  Cause I feel that it does or should beings the steering does move when you adjust horizontal or field off view.

Basically I want to get the tv pod  camera as close to cockpit point off view... but just abit higher

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team

A different view doesn't mechanically change your inputs, it's simply a different angle that the image is displayed from.

It does however change your perception, especially when you first switch.

Portimao is an excellent example, as some corners are straight-up blind in cockpit view, but in TV-Pod you can see the kerbs.

Subtle changes like this do infuence how you drive, but it's more a case of the piece between the seat and the screen changing, and not the game.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also use your camera settings @PJTierney, but adjust the FOV closer in Cockpit view. I lost the view to mirrors, but use the virtual mirror instead. 

I also tested the alternative nose camera, but as this camera is not adjustable I switched back. I hadn't get a feeling for this view as the inputs feel laggy and so I missed every corner. I think this camera would be awesome alternative to the cockpit camera if adjustable. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KAI1989215 said:

I also use your camera settings @PJTierney, but adjust the FOV closer in Cockpit view. I lost the view to mirrors, but use the virtual mirror instead. 

I also tested the alternative nose camera, but as this camera is not adjustable I switched back. I hadn't get a feeling for this view as the inputs feel laggy and so I missed every corner. I think this camera would be awesome alternative to the cockpit camera if adjustable. 

Yeah I had a try with the camera but needs to be adjustable.. so you can pull it back towards the drivers seat. 

As pj says it’s about perception. Trouble is I have trouble with depth perception.  Tv pod is to far and alt nose is to close.  Drivers position just right except limited   visibility is even worse.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Yeah I had a try with the camera but needs to be adjustable.. so you can pull it back towards the drivers seat. 

As pj says it’s about perception. Trouble is I have trouble with depth perception.  Tv pod is to far and alt nose is to close.  Drivers position just right except limited   visibility is even worse.

 

What camera settings do you use for cockpit?

There might be some adjustments you can make for a better overall view.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ialyrn said:

What camera settings do you use for cockpit?

There might be some adjustments you can make for a better overall view.

I’ve tried dude...  thing is you can remove the halo support bar.. halo wont work as designed without that bar.. so they could have least made the whole thing invisible from cockpit view.  

But thanks anyway dude.... I’m doing really good just as I said depth perception just means I don’t alway hit the apex as I want

def won’t hit anything at this min..  think I’ve gad more than I should.... slow spins 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some calculators out there that take into account (1) your screen size and (2) your distance from the screen to calculate a better field of view value for your setup. @Ialyrn is here already besides our man PJ and you'll hardly find a better user to crack this down for you.

Mate, I dare say we're past the point of table etiquette between us so I'll lay this down straight: the issue is not your vision, it's your arse. When driving for real your body is computing everything, from your speed and direction to your car balance, from what you see, what you feel through your hands and what your bubbly trunk catches through the seating.

On these games you see way less (flat screen, small screen) and feel way less (vibrations through the pad only) but, mostly, you get nothing from your curvey functional foundations. Don't get too caught up trying to set the camera "right", you're not dealt a good hand to begin with unless you got yourself a nice rig. I mean the metal one now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, marioho said:

There are some calculators out there that take into account (1) your screen size and (2) your distance from the screen to calculate a better field of view value for your setup. @Ialyrn is here already besides our man PJ and you'll hardly find a better user to crack this down for you.

Mate, I dare say we're past the point of table etiquette between us so I'll lay this down straight: the issue is not your vision, it's your arse. When driving for real your body is computing everything, from your speed and direction to your car balance, from what you see, what you feel through your hands and what your bubbly trunk catches through the seating.

On these games you see way less (flat screen, small screen) and feel way less (vibrations through the pad only) but, mostly, you get nothing from your curvey functional foundations. Don't get too caught up trying to set the camera "right", you're not dealt a good hand to begin with unless you got yourself a nice rig. I mean the metal one now.

Dude you right.  I’ve got a big arse electrics recliner... that I’ve moved into every position possible in my living room and     I do think though  my 55inch... yeah you know I got a big one.. but it’s not on the wall its... on a entertainment stand thing... I think it’s just alittle to high... 

but your also right i think years and years off driving over a million miles... I have become conditioned:.. that said I on purposely never got a wheel for the simple reason.. when I’m at home the last thing I want in my hands a steering wheel..

but I do have one bad eye and I struggle with depth perception anyway.. so looking a 2d screen has its challenges 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@marioho your probably right know.... I’m a trial and error... don’t think about it just get stuck,,., I notice in here with a you and others..  where you have calculated data and telemetry... and although I’m smart enough to understand it..., I’m not have no clue how you get the results.  

Im a timex watch living in a digital age I think the saying is

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LocoVarrido said:

The F1 game needs support to VR... maybe it might improve the field of view and the depth perception!!!

Also you don't need a big rig to play with it!!!!

That would be the dream.,.  I remember wheels being no more than £100 and as never looked into them over years. 

Clicked on a wheel ad by accident... fenentic or something..,. Saw a wheel Thought that’s looks awesome..... so started to browse.,... HOW ******* MUCH and a idiot posted that it’s harder to use a wheel..... If people ate prepared to pay those prices I very much doubt it.,, 

thing is next gen tv’s 16k apparently are so clear.  The picture actually looks naturally 3d

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...