Jump to content Jump to content

Crash to desktops and screen freezes in VR

I've been experiencing quite a lot of CTD's during club races. Usually these happen at the moment when the next stage should start loading. Luckily the stage times are then usually saved. But sometimes the game crashes mid stage too and then the time is missing and you get a that 15 or 30 minutes of penalty in the end time.

I've also experienced 1-2 sec screen freezes (Oculus Rift S, Steam version) in club races. That's enough to ruin your race because it seems that car is actually moving even though the HMD doesn't update.

Both of these issues are something that didn't happen before. But as the game itself hasn't been updated for a good while is it possible that some dynamic content (ads?) are causing these issues? Or the server side in the menu issue?

It seems I'm not the only one having these issues based from what I've discussed with people on the same leagues.

I have also had more crashes as you explain when the track is loading and its luckily not giving a DNF. I have not changed any drivers or hardware. This have happend more lately than before. I heard a couple others also having this issue lately and not only in VR.

I never crash when on stage, its always during the loading (seems to be when its done).

Edited by somethingthing

Hi @PJTierney This issue is really happening. I'm hearing the same in about every rally discord now. Something must have changed in Codemasters end be it the servers or some dynamic content that gets loaded into game during the race. At least in my case my system is just as it used to be and no problems on other sims or in OS general. And it's pretty unlikely that all of those who are experiencing CTD's have somehow broken their systems at the same time.

• Social Media & Community Team

@bn880 @StockTunesOnly You guys were chatting with a guy on Discord that had crashes on Stage Load weren't you?

Wasn't the issue being ghost files being too large or something? I can't remember the workaround you guys suggested that seemed to help.

@Esa Ahonen It could be the dynamic banners, but I'd like to see if this ghost workaround works first as that could be the cause here.

1 hour ago, Esa Ahonen said:

Humm. Ghost as in leaderboard or old pb ghosts? Are they some sort of caches? And where are those files? I have selected other ghosts to compare very rarely. Maybe like 10 times ever. 

I believe it's all your saved Personal Best ghosts from playing the game, but the guys I tagged above would know more 🙂 

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

@bn880 @StockTunesOnly You guys were chatting with a guy on Discord that had crashes on Stage Load weren't you?

Wasn't the issue being ghost files being too large or something? I can't remember the workaround you guys suggested that seemed to help.

@Esa Ahonen It could be the dynamic banners, but I'd like to see if this ghost workaround works first as that could be the cause here.

browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\ <your ID #>\690790\remote and delete the @ghost files there, not the profile files.

may be worth a shot

Edited by bn880
  • Thanks 1

Yep. But since the game itself is same as before it must be either some dynamic content or servers, right? And isn't the stage loaded before you go into the service area? So if there's something weird coming in dynamically it could cause the game to crash when loading? Maybe like textures too large or with wrong aspect ratio. Just guessing but something must've changed.

Hmm.

It's one possible theory, I could pass word on.

I would suspect if that was the case that the game would be knocked out everywhere those banners are being presented to people (every Steam player in the UK for example) and there'd be a much bigger volume of feedback on it.

Although your game code hasn't changed, it could be PC-related too, whether you have any new drivers, a file got corrupted etc. Try Verifying the Steam files, fully closing/restarting Steam and playing again. Might help, might not, worth a go.

I believe not many of users experiencing this come here and complain. But I've heard a lot about these crashes on Discord. 

It could still be something content related but also be affected by your graphics settings or video settings. But I'm just guessing here. It'd be great if this was inspected thoroughly. There's still huge amount of action on DR2.

I've done verifying files, nothing found. In this period that I've experienced these crashes I believe I've only updated Nvidia and Fanatec drivers. Either one haven't caused any problems previously. But of course they can't be ruled out.

I have not updated any drivers on my system. This just came out of the blue.

Since 2 days ago I only had one or two crash/crashes during a couple of hours of gameplay. Its possible that deleting the ghost files might have helped a bit but its not possible to tell just yet. At least its not giving a DNF.

Edited by somethingthing