Sign in to follow this  

[FEATURE] Dirt Rally Look to Corner Feature

Hi, For those of us racing on a single screen monitor, it can be very challenging driving a rally style game where there are so many twists and turns due to the lack of peripheral vision. Currently one must estimate where corners are when driving in cockpit view which detracts from the simulation. A suggestion to address this issue to add an option so the view automatically adjusts so you can see corners more clearly, a “look to corner” feature. The video below demonstrates this concept in an exaggerated fashion (through a mod in another simulation) but hopefully also illustrates how much more natural it feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySjaEIhVaQ

Verses what is essentially driving with the middle screen in the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ

Please let me know what you think.

I play with a single 24´´ display too.

Interior cams aer hard to deal with. No matter what you do with FOV.

The dashboard cam is nice, and provides you enough view, but at the moment I prefer the hood cam because FOV is adjustable there.

Occulus will be the sweep spot for me, as you can freely look around the entire cockpit.

Auto look in is a cool feature, but it is still "mechanic". Tho, better than always looking forward with limited sight.

The mod for AC looks pretty smooth actually, but there's some small problems with this. If you go through a switch back the camera may not transition fast enough and leave you completely blind through the exit. There's also the way PCars did it (Which really throws me off) and auto look to the corner. That bothers me because it doesn't care if your car is pointed another direction, leaving you blind. Maybe they could do a mix of both to get physical movement based off the cars vector and an amount of predictive based off of the upcoming corners apex. It'd be difficult to get the mix just right though.

I'd like to see something like this implemented, yes. Maybe as an option for those that do not want it. Will be quite difficult to make it work well though, so I wouldn't make it a priority.

Please don't force that on anyone. :)
I'm sitting with triples and can see quite fine.

Maybe an option to enable "look to apex" or...

paulieGTR said:
Ah, Triple screen, how I miss it. It's crazy how much better you can take corners with triple screen.

every time i have seen this feature in any game it was over-done and i didn't like it..... it will look where it thinks i want to look ore where the car is turned to and it simply don't work for me.....

rødelyn said:
every time i have seen this feature in any game it was over-done and i didn't like it..... it will look where it thinks i want to look ore where the car is turned to and it simply don't work for me.....
Usually, but in the AC mod the camera is connected to the vector of the car, rather than where the game thinks it should be.

JZStudios said:
rødelyn said:
Usually, but in the AC mod the camera is connected to the vector of the car, rather than where the game thinks it should be.
i see ... well if they can get it to work it will be cool. as long as its and option on/off thing.... 
another problem for me is in real life you feel/know where the front is. when it moves vision i lose that feel... which is why i need the static camera too keep that feeling off knowing where the front is... as in real life... but thats just my opinion :)

OzoreXS said:
Occulus will be the sweep spot for me, as you can freely look around the entire cockpit.
Only problem with oculus is cost to user = ~$300+Aud. This would be a free to the user and makes a massive difference in terms of driving experience.
pJZStudios said:
Maybe they could do a mix of both to get physical movement based off the cars vector and an amount of predictive based off of the upcoming corners apex. It'd be difficult to get the mix just right though.
Yes I agree, it will require a bit of tweaking to work in a rally game but even if the results are not perfect it is still a more natural response than looking straight the whole way. I've used the one on project cars and personally I once I got used to it, I found it really hard to drive the same car/track in assetto corsa because it felt like im driving a car with a camera stuck to it.

The best analogy I can think of is imagine trying to take a roundabout but without moving your head, it'd make for a very awkward inorganic experience. 

paulieGTR said:
Of course, that would be stupidity. Triple screens already have peripheral vision so this would be useless. The idea is the have a setting under options than you can turn on/off  and adjust some camera options (along with fov and the rest). The idea is the simulate where you would look when driving on the triple screens when taking a corner to allow for a more organic driving experience for those with single screen monitors. Don't like it, simply turn it off  :)

snip...

antz360 said:

The idea is the simulate where you would look when driving on the triple screens when taking a corner to allow for a more organic driving experience for those with single screen monitors. Don't like it, simply turn it off  :)

Yeah, i know what you're trying to get at.

It was there in GTR and GTR2 in the *.PLR(player) file.
There was a few settings that affected it, 2 of which are below.

Leanahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)

I suppose it wouldn't hurt for some folks to have it added at a later date. :)

paulieGTR said:

Yeah, i know what you're trying to get at.

It was there in GTR and GTR2 in the *.PLR(player) file.
There was a few settings that affected it, 2 of which are below.

Leanahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)

I suppose it wouldn't hurt for some folks to have it added at a later date. :)
On a side note, I think GTR or GTR2 was my first introduction to racing games, and with a wheel. Wonder if it's worth buying.

I found this great example of a  "Immersive Head Camera Mod"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRNGGdk0q8
Not sure about where to get it but looks nice. 

For me this feature (Look to Apex ) is useful in GTR2, Race, rFactor etc., and haters, rifters, trackirers and triplers :) can turn off it of course.  :)

antz360 said:
That looks pretty smooth, the horizontal movement is pretty low. I wonder if you could add more jumpiness to the movement, it looks a little too smooth.

snip...

antz360 said:
Yeah, it looks good.

Also looks like it's doing it the same way "ets2" does it.
Whereby, the steering wheel moves the camera or the camera points in the same direction as the where the steering wheel is pointing.
You get what i mean.

It's a really nice feature in ets2, but i think i'll stick with my trackir. :)

I would find it off-putting.  Ok for a circuit, but on a stage it may be hard to implement, as a rally car moves around a lot more and you might not be looking where you need to be.  I have arrived at stage junctions & acute corners all sorts of crossed up under braking!! 

I didn't mind this feature in project cars, but I think it would be pretty tough to do well in Dirt Rally. Nonetheless, if they can do it well with minimal effort, they should.

antz360 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRNGGdk0q8
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rocket-v2-immersive-head-cam-for-dirt-rally.6566/

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rocket-v2-immersive-head-cam-for-dirt-rally.6566/
Thanks for the link. Does the DR have any plants of a steam workshop? I love mods but managing them manually for DR and ac is going to be a mission. 

antz360 said:
Thanks for the link. Does the DR have any plants of a steam workshop? I love mods but managing them manually for DR and ac is going to be a mission. 

CM doesn't really like mods. I think a texture reskin is as far as they'll actually accept.

At the very least I would love to see steam workshop for custom textures for the cars. 

I think this would be a nice feature. Playing with only one 24" monitor I think it would be nice to see a little more of the corner. I was impressed by it in Project Cars.

I read somewhere that the co-driver voice actor was strapped into a chair with movement simulation so that 'when he's calling for the second bump, he sounds like he's feeling the first' I think is how it went. 
      This could be an interesting way to implement the 'look to corner' feature to ensure the authenticity.

I know this post is 5 years old... but if you have just one monitor like me, change the field of view to maximum value (1.0) instead of default (0.5). You will lose a bit of vision on the center, but you will gain a lot of visions on the sides, very useful for sharp turns.