Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats your graphic card and wich settings/fps you get at dirt rally?

hello

i personally have a zotac gtx970 slim overclocked @1276mhz/1476boost  , intel i5 3570k @4,5ghz  , 16gb ram, ssd

i run evrything maxed out but i get only 35/50 fps.......... hows that possible?

EVGA GTX 980 Ti non-OC'ed
intel i5-4690K also non-OC'ed
G.Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Everything maxed except AA (which is disabled) @ 3840x2160
average 55 fps

teknoid85 said:
hello

i personally have a zotac gtx970 slim overclocked @1276mhz/1476boost  , intel i5 3570k @4,5ghz  , 16gb ram, ssd

i run evrything maxed out but i get only 35/50 fps.......... hows that possible?
What's your resolution? You won't get 60+FPS at 4K resolution after all. Stupid anti-aliasing settings like 16x etc. will destroy framerate as well. 4xMSAA is as high as you should go on 1080p resolution (1920x1080), while for 1440p and higher 2xMSAA should be enough. The higher the resolution the bigger the impact AA has.

My setup:
i5 3570k OC'd to 4,5GHz
GTX670 EVGA 2GB
2x4GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1866MHz CL9
OCZ Vector 450 120GB

High to Ultra settings, 2xMSAA, locked framerate to 72FPS, dropping below 72FPS at night and/or rain, mainly in the dense forest zones in Germany or Monte Carlo.

ok i've now setted of AA in the game but changed to nvidia multiframe AA  and resolution dsr 2715x1527 shrinked to 1980x1080p

i'm now getting my 60fps, not more because my monitor has only 60 hertz

AMD FX-8320
AMD Radeon HD7950
4GB DDR3
Some random HDD

4X MSAA
2560*1600 downscaled to 1920*1200
Everything highest settings, except Advanced Blending which is turned OFF.
I'm getting ~50 frames per second.

Intel i7 @ 3.4 Ghz
EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 Ti 3gb
16gb DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz
Western Digital Black 4TB HDD @ 7200rpm
Soundblaster Z pci-e soundcard.

All game settings on/maxed except for Advanced Blending
4x MSAA
1080p on a 46" 1080p Sony TV
Framerate locked to 60 to match the TV's refresh rate, 

DiRT Rally benchmark results with unlocked framerate
Minimum fps - 78
Maximum fps - 127
Average fps - 93

I just put Shader Detail to low and I got ~60 fps now, on top of that, I think the result looks better somehow.

chukonu said:
I just put Shader Detail to low and I got ~60 fps now, on top of that, I think the result looks better somehow.
If you're downscaling from 1600p to 1080p, you probably don't need 4x MSAA unless you want to maximise screenshot quality.

I got a lowly ATI 7870 with an i5 750. Old crap, but can run the game at 50-60 fps at low settings, and it really doesn't look that bad.

Maxed out without advanced blending @ 1920x1080 and max AA.
V-sync on = constant 60FPS, obviously.
V-sync off= 90/150 FPS but I notice some weird stuttering at sides. Very uncomfortable and annoying. And I get some tearing... so v-sync off is not an option to me.

OzoreXS said:
V-sync off= 90/150 FPS but I notice some weird stuttering at sides. Very uncomfortable and annoying. And I get some tearing... so v-sync off is not an option to me.
That'd be normal if your monitor is only 60hz. Exceeding a monitors refresh rate tends to cause stutters.

Gtx 860m (gtx 750 ti) 760p ultra at an average of 100fps in rally, in rx from 45fps to 80fps, with advanced blending i think, when i come back home i will check it

teknoid85 said:
ok i've now setted of AA in the game but changed to nvidia multiframe AA  and resolution dsr 2715x1527 shrinked to 1980x1080p

i'm now getting my 60fps, not more because my monitor has only 60 hertz
Not more because you're using V-Sync ;) Make sure you disable the Advanced Blending, as that kills FPS and doesn't do anything. You can try using the same trick I mention below if you don't like screen tearing.
OzoreXS said:
Try limiting the frame rate to 62FPS (or 60FPS if you will be using Nvidia Inspector for that as it automatically ads 2FPS to any frame limit). You'll avoid the input lag that way and screen tearing will be reduced significantly if not gone completely. Stuttering as well.
I'm using this trick for over a year so far, though in my case I have 70FPS limit in Nvidia Inspector as I overclocked my monitor to 70Hz. As long as I'm in the 71-73 FPS range (it will boost the limiter by 1 or more fps if it detects a lag, for example dropping to 71 FPS will result in bumping the limiter to 73FPS to "regain" the lost frame and then coming back to 72 again), screen tearing is basically non-existent, as soon as you get to 70 that's when screen tearing will happen. Same for 60Hz or whatever your monitor is running.
For some reason when you're 2 FPS above the refresh rate, there's no screen tearing at all. Seems like the GPU syncs itself with the refresh rate of the monitor in a "natural" way, without any forced synchronisation with means like V-Sync, G-Sync or FreeSync. Like the extra 2 frames fill the gap where monitor would ask for a frame and would be getting one complete and one incomplete, thus resulting in screen tearing. Just some very basic explanation I came up with for this so please excuse the lack of "technical precision".

Thanks, @G37L057 

I hate tools and software like nvidia inspector. I like the game take natively as much as it can, from graphics and wheel drivers; and take my config from ingame.

I dont suffer input lag with v-sync on. And the game runs soft like silk.

What I dont understand is, if I dont get input lag why I may force (lock) the FPS to 62hz?

What I would like is to play is >100FPS (wich is possible) but without the stuttering & tearing. I never could do this in other titles and I think I will never can do that on DR either.

OzoreXS said:
Thanks, @G37L057 

I hate tools and software like nvidia inspector. I like the game take natively as much as it can, from graphics and wheel drivers; and take my config from ingame.

What I dont understand is, if I dont get input lag why I may force (lock) the FPS to 62hz?

What I would like is to play is >100FPS (wich is possible) but without the stuttering & tearing. I never could do this in other titles and I think I will never can do that on DR either.
If you have a 60hz monitor and input lag, then you should lock the framerate to 58 in Nvidia Inspector (which is a fantastic tool as most games and Nvidia's control panel don't give you access to all that many of the drivers features, such as the framerate limiter WITHOUT V-Sync)

Playing at a higher framerate without stuttering and tearing requires a monitor with a higher refresh rate. Typically 120hz monitor played at 120fps.
It's purely an issue with the screens ability to process and display what the GPU is sending it.
Although your GPU might be rendering at 100fps, as reported by benchmark tools, fraps etc, that's purely on the computer side and doesn't take into account what the monitor is capable of.
A 60hz monitor simply can't display anything faster than 60fps, which is why framerates higher than that have tearing and stutters as the monitor simply can't process and correctly display that much data.

OzoreXS said:
BrySkye basically explained everything there. I'll just add that v-sync always adds an input lag. That's how it works. GPU will render frame and keep it until the monitor asks for the frame. That naturally adds an input lag as you'll be seeing frames that aren't representative of what actually is happening in the game (be that even 20ms). Even if you don't notice it immediately, you always have the input lag there. And the game will run "as soft as a silk" because every single frame is synced with the monitor's refresh rate. It's less responsive but more smooth ;)

Another thing is that you may not exactly benefit from having more FPS than your monitor can display. I mean sure, the game will take the input more often but you'll still be seeing the results as you would've at locked framerate which may cause in extreme cases overcorrection. It's best to have only as much FPS as the monitor can display. Another thing with locking framerate is that it allows the hardware to produce less heat output, which in turn extends the lifetime of it and gives you smaller electricity bills, since it won't be running at 99% usage all the time (100% GPU usage is impossible, at least in games).

Generally speaking if you want more than 60FPS to be actually usable, you need to get a proper monitor. 120Hz or 144Hz ones, preferably with a G-Sync/FreeSync to make the experience as smooth as possible. But those are expensive as hell. My solution with locking to 62FPS is basically the second best thing if you don't want input lag, stuttering and screen tearing. Standard V-Sync comes as third IMO.

And nVidia Inspector is simply a tool for configuring the driver behaviour for games. If nothing else, it makes it so everything is more native as the changes come from graphic card drivers, on which everything about the GPU usage is based ;)

AMD 9590
16GB DDR3 2133MHz
Asus Sabretooth Rev 2.0
Sapphire AMD R9 290X 8GB x2 (crossfire)

I'm using maxed settings apart from AA down 1 setting and crowd turned off (Can be a big help for those with very low fps)
Min; 67.71
Avg:90.13
Max: 118.90

What I've also noticed is that the view CAN make a massive difference to the FPS.
Try it yourself  by running the games benchamark and also the free version of fraps in the background so you get the realtime fps count during the run.

I use bonnet cam and make vids for youtube when I'm not recording the fraps fps counter never drops below 95 fps. from memory the best view is bumper cam followed by bonnet being the fastest with in car being the heaviest load (it's been a while since I ran these tests and game/driver updates may have changed this).

Try it for yourselves.....

i5-4570S 2.9GHz
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GT 750M/1GB
(I.e. a 21.5" late 2013 iMac)

1366x768
CMAA
Mix of medium and high settings:
Night Lighting - Medium
Shadows - Medium
Advanced Fog - On
Particles - High
Weather - High
Crowd - Medium
Cloth - Low
Ambient Occlusion - Medium
Advanced Ambient Occlusion - Off
Mirrors - Medium
Ground Cover - Low
Vehicle Details - High
Track - High
Trees - Medium
Objects - Medium
Vehicle Reflections - Medium
Water - Medium
Skidmarks - On
Texture Detail - Medium
Shader Detail - Medium
Anistropic Filtering - Low
Smoke Shadows - On
Advanced Blending - Off
Usually 40-50 fps. Sometimes hits 60, rain/snow can drop it to 30. Only times it drops below 30 are approaching Devil's Elbow corner in Lydden Hill in the rain (24-26), and the trees in Monte Carlo cause it to go down to 22.

DR feels pretty good with an unlocked framerate—I guess that's the motion blur?

@BrySkye , @G37L057  I must thank you for such magnificient explanations. Thank you guys.

I´m giving it a try right now at 58 and 62 FPS with v-sync OFF.

OzoreXS said:
@BrySkye , @G37L057  I must thank you for such magnificient explanations. Thank you guys.

Should have mentioned, 58fps lock is best used with V-Sync ON as a means to counter the input lag.

BrySkye said:
OzoreXS said:

Should have mentioned, 58fps lock is best used with V-Sync ON as a means to counter the input lag.
I dont notice any difference on Dirt Rally (not sure...) but what really improved was Assetto Corsa LOL. This "trick" plus the MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1 line at graphics.ini file worked like a charm.

Cant set refresh to 62... but the 58 limit did the trick.

Many thanks!

(I´m using this nvidia inspector for a while...)

OzoreXS said:
I dont notice any difference on Dirt Rally (not sure...) but what really improved was Assetto Corsa LOL. This "trick" plus the MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1 line at graphics.ini file worked like a charm.

Cant set refresh to 62... but the 58 limit did the trick.

Many thanks!

(I´m using this nvidia inspector for a while...)
Obviously you can't set the refresh rate to anything your monitor doesn't support ;) The 62 FPS limit can be achieved by going to nVidia Inspector, finding the game profile and changing the "Frame Rate Limiter" to 60. Like I said, nVidia Inspector adds the extra 2 FPS to the limit. With my fix you turn off the V-Sync.
My "fix" is basically setting a frame rate limit equal to +2 FPS to the refresh rate. So if the refresh rate is 60Hz, FPS limit will be set to 62 (60 if you use Inspector), 120Hz then 122FPS, 144Hz then 146FPS etc.

Remember, FPS is Frames Per Second, it's the number that indicates how many frames the GPU can render per second. Refresh rate refers to how many times the monitor refreshes the display in a second. The value for refresh is Hz (60Hz, 75Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz etc.). In other words, FPS is GPU bound, while refresh rate is Monitor bound. It's very important to be able to distinct those changes, otherwise the "download the RAM" jokes will start coming in xD

i7 4770k OC@4.2
GB 780ti GHz Edition
2x8gb G-Skill Trident X
Asus Z87 Pro MB
nVidia G-Sync Monitor

All settings maxed out @ 1920x1080 = 106fps

I turned the V-Sync off last night and got an additional 15fps, I don't really have any troubling tearing issues either

Dytut said:
I got a lowly ATI 7870 with an i5 750. Old crap, but can run the game at 50-60 fps at low settings, and it really doesn't look that bad.
Shouldn't you get more than that? I also have a HD7870, and an i5-3350P, I run the game on High and in rally it's almost always at 60 (V-Sync on), with some dips in rallycross