Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats your graphic card and wich settings/fps you get at dirt rally?

Going back to FPS.... I've noticed total increase in overall performance of game after Nvidia Eperience crashed...and it wasn't related to shadowplay as I keep it off for some time now.

versedi said:
Going back to FPS.... I've noticed total increase in overall performance of game after Nvidia Eperience crashed...and it wasn't related to shadowplay as I keep it off for some time now.
Yeah, their newest Share thing does impact the performance slightly. It is kind of annoying at this point, though it's still in Beta.

dwkGravey said:
G37L057 said:
JZStudios said:
G37L057 said:
In past games, you had less hardware to take into account when making a PC game. Now you have all the different DirectX versions, thousands of different GPUs etc. Worst thing is, people are still using that prehistoric hardware, which in Starcraft community is known as "Wooden PC". In more dire situations they use "Stone PC" xD
Now, this is just me, but chronologically speaking, shouldn't a wooden pc be worse than a stone? Since stone is an evolution of wood?
First tools were made from stone (not including torch). Wooden tools required more skill to be made. That's why the oldest age in human history is called "Stone age", not "Wooden Age". The fact that stone castles were made common later, is simply due to the fact it's easier to make a castle out of wood on the middle of nowhere, than from a stone. So don't take the "upgrade path" in economy/strategy games as a given ;)
Well... Gorillas and chimpanzees use sticks and stones as tools and weapons, and early Homo used both as well (and bone and antler etc). Stone just preserves whereas wood does not, so the record we have is stone tools, hence "Stone Age"; in fact, a "Wooden Age" probably predates the Stone Age, though we'll never know.
I've always found it easier to take a stick and grind one end into a spear. I guess it's all very confusing.

JZStudios said:
I've always found it easier to take a stick and grind one end into a spear. I guess it's all very confusing.
Grind with what? Or rather, how would you know about grinding when it wasn't even close to being invented? That's the stone age, remember. And by wooden tools, I mean actual tools like spoon, not a stick.

Also, on the note of nVidia's Share function. The save few last minutes of gameplay eats a lot of FPS now. More than just actively recording tbh o.O

G37L057 said:
JZStudios said:
Grind with what? Or rather, how would you know about grinding when it wasn't even close to being invented? That's the stone age, remember. And by wooden tools, I mean actual tools like spoon, not a stick.
Chimpanzees use their teeth to turn sticks into spears.

This is totally OT, but sorry, it's my area of interest! :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwPPkRvaxkQ6cmMxQWJCdWhZOHM/view?usp=sharing

I ran 4 benchmark : from Ultra to Low.
I'm only running this because, today I was enjoying the multisampling= 8f16xeqaa on Greece and Germany.  Immediately, the sun flares were different and replays were sharper.
Then I get to Finland...oh boy, it was stuttering like crazy.  Had to drop down to Low Setting and turn off the multisampling

Any chance this Finland is not fully optimized?  I was having the same issue when Germany first came out.  The last two updates fixed that for me.  I can run High with Multisampling = 8f16xeqaa on Germany no problem now.

Thanks, and yes, I'm making update with my rig next year, I'll be copying most the pc specs on everyone here with good results.

Ledanek said:
Any chance this Finland is not fully optimized?  I was having the same issue when Germany first came out.  The last two updates fixed that for me.  I can run High with Multisampling = 8f16xeqaa on Germany no problem now.
Multisampling is already an old thing. Try using SGSSAA (sparse grid supersampling) seeing as you don't mind performance drops. That is the best anti-aliasing method available, though only for nVidia side (nVidia Inspector app required).

I personally run 2xMSAA and I'm more than happy while racing, since I prefer higher FPS than smoother lines. Shame TXAA is not implemented in this game, loving that type of anti-aliasing.

Let's see:
Xeon 1231v3
16 GB 1866MHz
Palit Geforce GTX970
Win 10 on SSD
Steam on HDD
G27

Game runs at stable 99 fps on ultra settings.
no microstuttering or anything, smooth as ever.

JZStudios said:

Also, on the note of nVidia's Share function. The save few last minutes of gameplay eats a lot of FPS now. More than just actively recording tbh o.O
Anything hard and rough. You can grind it on a rock. I've done it before, and while utilizing stone, I don't think it qualifies since it's not the object I'm making.

Thought I'd chime in.
Pretty dissapointed by this game to be honest.
Set up most thinga at ultra excluding that last setting everyone avoids (blending).
I have a 1080p 120hz monitor so you would think that a game that's getting on 2 years old would be easy to run at these settings with a brand new high end gaming rig? Oh no it isn't. 
The benchmark shows impressive FPS, averaging about 150 with a low of 124.
You would think that you might expect to see this in the actual game, right? Wrong again.
I'm averaging 90-100FPS (with some tearing here and there) if I'm lucky and that's with me having to turn down a ton of stuff to medium or high and settle with the lowest AA (other than off) CMAA. I always considered Project Cars a real bastard in terms of graphical power and I'm able to get 150FPS with most of the nice stuff on. I don't think Dirt Rally is anywhere near as graphically pretty as Pcars, yet it runs like a pig. I can only assume crappy, inefficient coding....ironic given their namesake!
I have the title on my Xbox One and it's a much better experience which is laughable given how much money I dropped building this rig.
It's just not much fun really. Lol
My rig (the important parts at least):
Gigabyte GA-z170x Gaming 3
intel i7 6700K
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200hz
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Sandisk x400 512GB SSD

If something is troubling, as always, try the game with Ground Cover on "Low" or "Off", thats one of the biggest hogs often. Also CMAA lags more than 2x EQAA or 2x MSAA, at least on my grandpa rig. Also Shader quality can be a reasonable hit, and is turned to Low to stop Motion Blur if need be.

Other than that - yeeaah.. beyond these its just the game having a period or something, lol.

That doesn't sound right at all, my i5/970 rig can hit the low 80s on all ultra 1080p with 2xMSAA. You should have much higher framerates than that, on medium settings no less. Make sure Advanced Blending is off, and try testing different antialiasing modes as Snaky said, otherwise I don't know what to tell you.

My DR is running quite poorly on my i5-4570, GTX960 with 4gb, and 16gb's of ram. I run it at 1920x1080 - everything set to ultra except for shaders (and advanced blending obviously); they're set to low because motion blur and DoF looks daft to me. I also use 2x msaa. I get 80 fps most of the time - however, some parts of Wales and Monaco makes the fps dip into the 30's. It didn't use to be like this though. My framerate seems to have gotten worse for each patch. It is unexplainable.

I learned to live with it though.

Huh. My performance has remained the same for the most part throughout development, with a couple of some small performance boosts, particularly on Pike's Peak. PC gaming!

Truth be told, that sounds like the issue with nVidia drivers. Recently there's been some massive performance drops for some people in some games. Either update to newest or revert to some older versions (always remember to use DDU to uninstall drivers). You may also want to monitor the clocks on your GPU. Your GPU may simply not increase to higher performance level and stay at idle clock level. That usually drops the performance significantly.

At ultra settings with 4xMSAA you should be getting around 180FPS in the benchmark, given that I get around 60FPS with my GTX670 which is around 3-4 times slower than your 1080.

TL;DR; Revert nVidia driver, monitor your GPU clocks.

Not buying this driver thing. It only happens in Dirt Rally, so I'd have to revert to drivers from a year ago every time I wanted to play Dirt? No thanks. And, I'm not alone in having performance issues - a friend of mine had to stop streaming it because his DR started running so poorly. There are more examples here on the forum that I'm too lazy to search for.

That's the biggest mystery in the woooorld oooooh... Right, anyway, can't hurt to do a single super clean reinstall of drivers with the use of DDU, even if you reinstall the newest ones again. Some things can just be silly.

Example from my side - before i clean wiped my PC and moved to Win8 again, guess when my DiRT install had more FPS? Well, since i am writing this question, you probs are right - Windowed mode was the fastest mode when i had Windows 7 lol, even though FullScreen should be the fastest mode.

nvidia do make performance worse as a gpu gets older.amd tend to make older cards perform slighlty better.as someone who monitors benchmarked this game at most settings its been pretty consistant.

DDU can be both great and bad.also remember geforce experience can often cause issues or give less performance.you want as little as possible running so only real reason to add experience is for shadow play which i dont see the point as there are free better recording software.

Not buying this driver thing.
You don't have to buy, it's free :p Also, it wasn't directed at you but the guy with 1080.
Anyway, believe it or not, but drivers can often improve or degrade performance. I haven't updated my drivers in a while and guess what? My performance is the same as always.

Also, keep in mind that "clean install" isn't the same as using DDU. On your place I would just re-install the game and use slightly older drivers (I personally sit on 373.06). Does wonders. Make sure the Instant Replay feature of "Share" is disabled as well, aka the new name for Shadowplay and its shadow mode. That puts quite a hit on performance.
dgeesi0 said:
nvidia do make performance worse as a gpu gets older.
Not entirely true. I get some FPS increases from the latest drivers, decreases as well but the performance is generally the same (we're talking 1-2 FPS, which is a margin of mistake anyway). They are optimising new drivers for the newer GPU's more than older, that's obvious, but most of the optimisation for the older has been already done so there's not much to improve there, if anything. It's the same story on AMD side... or rather it would be if they would actually release new GPUs frequently, not just rename the age old ones. If for 5 years a company released only few actually new GPUs (Fury, Fury X, Fury Nano, RX480, RX470 and RX460) then obviously their older GPUs won't suffer any decreases at all, especially when AMD has never been quick to release new drivers.

I uninstalled that awful new Nvidia experience and reverted back to an older version, luckily they're separate from the GPU driver. I wanted my Shadowplay back.

Shadowplay still work with the newer version of Nvidia Experience. It's actually easier & better to use. You just press ALT+Z to pop out the shadowplay option.

It's not better because it demands a login. I don't want to login, I want it to work.
I also reverted, as from the old version to the new, The Witcher 3 dropped from ~60FPS to 8. Nice improvement huh?
Also had an issue with a newer Nvidia update and Blender, in that it would cause the Windows Aero to stop working. Reverting to an older driver fixed it, as well as a new Blender version.
So, I buy the drivers being the cause. That being said, I run DR on triples with my 2gb 960. Still gets about 60. Weird that you seem to have such issues.

Myeah like I said it only happens in Dirt, and there are more people with weird fps drops - so it's not just limited to Nvidia.

The technical forest sections on the Fferm wynt/River Severn/Bronfelen bits in Wales can drop me as low as 25 at night during rain, 35 during daytime. Monaco has some bits too where the fps drops like crazy. No problems anywhere else though.

Also, I'm one of those dudes that defragments the harddrive every now and then to not risk losing any performance. Disk cleanup is also done fairly regularly. I can even run Witcher 3 at Ultra (minus hairworks) and it runs supersmooth, so I get more surprised every time I lose framerate in Dirt Rally. Battlefield 1 also runs very sweet at Ultra.