Jump to content Jump to content

FIA announcing 2022 calendar - enough time to add ALL tracks this year?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

so I realized that FIA has just announced the provisional 2022 F1 calendar by reading this german F1 website:

https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/formel1/news-273382-formel-1-2022-rennkalender-2022-kalender-uebersicht-daten-rennen-frankreich-gp-wackelt/

I want to note this here, because every year we seem have the very same discussion with codemasters not having enough time (in fact, that equals the claim they would not have enough resources, which should be well covered by EA meanwhile) to implement the new tracks into the game. Given that F1 2022 will approximately be released the same time next year as it was this year (July 15th) this would leave Codemasters with 9 months track development time, if the dev team responsible for track implementation started right now. Might be 6 weeks less, if they are still busy with this years missing tracks.

Lets have a look at the task, here is the copy paste of the provisional FIA 2022 calendar:

  1. Bahrain Shakir  (present in F1 2021 game)
  2. Saudi Arabia Dschidda  (will soon be present in F1 2021 game)
  3. Australia Melbourne  (present in F1 2021 game)
  4. China Shanghai (present in F1 2021 game)
  5. USA Miami (NEW)
  6. Spain Barcelona  (present in F1 2021 game)
  7. Monaco MonteCarlo  (present in F1 2021 game)
  8. Azerbaidjan Baku  (present in F1 2021 game)
  9. Canada Montreal  (present in F1 2021 game)
  10. GreatBritain Silverstone  (present in F1 2021 game)
  11. Austria Spielberg  (present in F1 2021 game)
  12. France / Italy LeCastellet / Imola  (present in F1 2021 game)
  13. Hungary Budapest  (present in F1 2021 game)
  14. Belgium Spa  (present in F1 2021 game)
  15. Netherlands Zandvoort  (present in F1 2021 game)
  16. Italy Monza  (present in F1 2021 game)
  17. Singapor / Turkey Istanbul (one present, one NEW)
  18. Japan Suzuka  (present in F1 2021 game)
  19. USA Austin  (present in F1 2021 game)
  20. Mexiko Mexiko City (present in F1 2021 game)
  21. Brazil SaoPaulo  (present in F1 2021 game)
  22. AbuDhabi  (present in F1 2021 game)

If I am not mistaken, they will only need to implement a single new track for 2022, Miami. If they wanted to be on the perfectly safe side, they will however create 2 new tracks including Turkey (which the F1 has driven on over the past 2 years anyway, even though it was never present on the pre-released FIA calendars and thus not contained in the F1 2020 and 2021 games, which has been quite a shame).

Sounds perfectly doable, especially if they have already started earlier with Miami (what you would expect, since this track has been announced some time back) and / or with Turkey (for obvious reasons during the past 2 years). What you think? Will F1 2022 contain all the tracks listed above by release?

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Hi all,

so I realized that FIA has just announced the provisional 2022 F1 calendar by reading this german F1 website:

https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/formel1/news-273382-formel-1-2022-rennkalender-2022-kalender-uebersicht-daten-rennen-frankreich-gp-wackelt/

I want to note this here, because every year we seem have the very same discussion with codemasters not having enough time (in fact, that equals the claim they would not have enough resources, which should be well covered by EA meanwhile) to implement the new tracks into the game. Given that F1 2022 will approximately be released the same time next year as it was this year (July 15th) this would leave Codemasters with 9 months track development time, if the dev team responsible for track implementation started right now. Might be 6 weeks less, if they are still busy with this years missing tracks.

Lets have a look at the task, here is the copy paste of the provisional FIA 2022 calendar:

  1. Bahrain Shakir  (present in F1 2021 game)
  2. Saudi Arabia Dschidda  (will soon be present in F1 2021 game)
  3. Australia Melbourne  (present in F1 2021 game)
  4. China Shanghai (present in F1 2021 game)
  5. USA Miami (NEW)
  6. Spain Barcelona  (present in F1 2021 game)
  7. Monaco MonteCarlo  (present in F1 2021 game)
  8. Azerbaidjan Baku  (present in F1 2021 game)
  9. Canada Montreal  (present in F1 2021 game)
  10. GreatBritain Silverstone  (present in F1 2021 game)
  11. Austria Spielberg  (present in F1 2021 game)
  12. France / Italy LeCastellet / Imola  (present in F1 2021 game)
  13. Hungary Budapest  (present in F1 2021 game)
  14. Belgium Spa  (present in F1 2021 game)
  15. Netherlands Zandvoort  (present in F1 2021 game)
  16. Italy Monza  (present in F1 2021 game)
  17. Singapor / Turkey Istanbul (one present, one NEW)
  18. Japan Suzuka  (present in F1 2021 game)
  19. USA Austin  (present in F1 2021 game)
  20. Mexiko Mexiko City (present in F1 2021 game)
  21. Brazil SaoPaulo  (present in F1 2021 game)
  22. AbuDhabi  (present in F1 2021 game)

If I am not mistaken, they will only need to implement a single new track for 2022, Miami. If they wanted to be on the perfectly safe side, they will however create 2 new tracks including Turkey (which the F1 has driven on over the past 2 years anyway, even though it was never present on the pre-released FIA calendars and thus not contained in the F1 2020 and 2021 games, which has been quite a shame).

Sounds perfectly doable, especially if they have already started earlier with Miami (what you would expect, since this track has been announced some time back) and / or with Turkey (for obvious reasons during the past 2 years). What you think? Will F1 2022 contain all the tracks listed above by release?

You cant forget the changes to existing tracks necessary.. So Spain, Australia and Abu Dhabi, thats also some work and they need to completely redo the cars handling but in theory it should be possible, just depends on when what changes

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

You cant forget the changes to existing tracks necessary

That is a valid argument and I agree this will bind some resources, however we have not had certain changes to certain tracks for years, and the community has accepted this (or had to accept it). While not an ideal situation, I would rather continue to drive Spain with a "false" corner, than not have it in the game at all. Besides, you would expect that the developer team, that is setting up a new track, would not be the very same team which is responsible to maintain it, including changes - as this involves AI "learning" also, as we have learned here. There is enough Codemaster staff around here in the forums, to acknowledge or falsify this assumption.

Edited by Schneehase
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

That is a valid argument and I agree this will bind some resources, however we have not had certain changes to certain tracks for years, and the community has accepted this (or had to accept it). While not an ideal situation, I would rather continue to drive Spain with a "false" corner, than not have it in the game at all. Besides, you would expect that the developer team, that is setting up a new track, would not be the very same team which is responsible to maintain it, including changes - as this involves AI "learning" also, as we have learned here. There is enough Codemaster staff around here in the forums, to acknowledge or falsify this assumption.

I dont really agree with you on the first part, while there are differences in the tracks to real life, these changes are mostly minor in nature, nothing like a completely different corner (im wondering why everybody rants about Spain lol) or even half the circuit like Australia.. Those changes are really a necessity but im pretty sure they will bring them. And i also think that they have the same people working on new tracks and maintaining old ones.. I dont think that everybody at Codemasters has the same talent at doing the AI training or creating the tracks physics wise or graphics wise. But we will see what happens..

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue for CM usually is when the calendar changes after it was made official. So if Miami were stopped by Covid or by a court injunction etc. and replaced by Estoril for example. They would not have time to make the new track. Otherwise they should be able to get it done (I think).

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aef251 said:

The issue for CM usually is when the calendar changes after it was made official. So if Miami were stopped by Covid or by a court injunction etc. and replaced by Estoril for example. They would not have time to make the new track. Otherwise they should be able to get it done (I think).

I think they will probably do what they always do, which is wait for the calendar to be confirmed officially (the one released right now is just provisional afaik) and then make those tracks, and those tracks ONLY. If Miami gets cancelled, it will likely still be in the game as long as it makes it to the final pre-season calendar. Think of Vietnam, it was confirmed, CM made the track and we've never seen a race there. Same situation.

If one of the races (cough Australia cough) were to be cancelled again due to covid we may see a reshuffle and maybe Portimao comes back on the calendar, in which case the track is already done and they would probably just add it.

I do think they will have the updated Spain circuit in next year's game and also the updated Abu Dhabi and Melbourne layouts. Not holding my breath for any more 'minor' updates like updated kerbs in Monza or updated Spa bus stop chicance though...but one can hope 😄

Honestly though, the calendar is disappointing. How are Portimao and Imola just backup tracks? They are some of the best circuits in F1. Ugh.

Edited by CptBalloonhands
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CptBalloonhands said:

I think they will probably do what they always do, which is wait for the calendar to be confirmed officially (the one released right now is just provisional afaik) and then make those tracks, and those tracks ONLY. If Miami gets cancelled, it will likely still be in the game as long as it makes it to the final pre-season calendar. Think of Vietnam, it was confirmed, CM made the track and we've never seen a race there. Same situation.

If one of the races (cough Australia cough) were to be cancelled again due to covid we may see a reshuffle and maybe Portimao comes back on the calendar, in which case the track is already done and they would probably just add it.

I do think they will have the updated Spain circuit in next year's game and also the updated Abu Dhabi and Melbourne layouts. Not holding my breath for any more 'minor' updates like updated kerbs in Monza or updated Spa bus stop chicance though...but one can hope 😄

Honestly though, the calendar is disappointing. How are Portimao and Imola just backup tracks? They are some of the best circuits in F1. Ugh.

Fully agree with you, lets just hope Codemasters do themself a favor and A) dont waste their own work and B) listen to the fans - by keeping Imola and Portimao in the game even if not on the official calendar.. But working so hard to get them out only for 9 months playtime no value beyond that? That would super disappointing for me if i were working on that track for like 9 months😂

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The provisional calendar for 2021 as it was announced by FIA on October 2020:

f111111.png.a5a1132ce249e6ca4ebb9c81c0faa51d.png

Like what everybody else said, the same constraints are applicable. Calendar changes and studio budget. Those are the variables and I don't see why anyone could expect a different outcome if they develop the same as they did in 2020 and mid 2021.

When was Portimão slot confirmed this year? March?

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, marioho said:

When was Portimão slot confirmed this year? March?

Yup, March 5th.

Edit: btw this gives us a pretty damn good idea of how fast they can release a track in all-hands-on-deck mode. March 5th to September 13th… so about 6 months development time, assuming that development actually started in March. To do some super basic math, for a circuit with 15-18 turns that translates to about 6-10 days per turn (based on a 5-day work week) …just to put it into broad perspective. Also an interesting stat with respect to the unchanged Turn 10 in Barcelona with this year’s game and how long it roughly would have taken to change it.

Edited by CptBalloonhands
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CptBalloonhands said:

Yup, March 5th.

Edit: btw this gives us a pretty damn good idea of how fast they can release a track in all-hands-on-deck mode. March 5th to September 13th… so about 6 months development time, assuming that development actually started in March. To do some super basic math, for a circuit with 15-18 turns that translates to about 6-10 days per turn (based on a 5-day work week) …just to put it into broad perspective. Also an interesting stat with respect to the unchanged Turn 10 in Barcelona with this year’s game and how long it roughly would have taken to change it.

My head just exploded.... have you taken into account that they could have used the track from project cars 2.   As I’ve seen suggested.  Which if they have would cut development time considerably...  I have no clue... just putting it out there.

 

Also if they have used project cars 2... Worth mentioning project cars also has Imola

Edited by ScaredDuck
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScaredDuck said:

My head just exploded.... have you taken into account that they could have used the track from project cars 2.   As I’ve seen suggested.  Which if they have would cut development time considerably...  

Yeah of course, and looking at the track from Project Cars 2 it looks like they definitely re-used at least most of the track geometry (some differences in T1 and 2) and some of the textures. Most of the terrain textures would have had to have been replaced to make use of the stock F1 2021 textures (asphalt, grass, gravel etc) but having access to the already built circuit definitely ate away a huge chunk of time.

But that’s fair, any trick goes to produce a track in the shortest amount of time possible. It’s not exact math, and obviously every track is different but it gives us a window into what’s possible in the best case scenario for a brand new track with access to laser-scanned game-ready track geo. Building a brand new track from the ground up obviously would take a lot longer but I think most potential calendar slots would be tracks that already existed in one of the previous F1 games (Nurburgring, Turkey, Imola etc.) so the situation would be comparable when bringing back one of these tracks.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CptBalloonhands said:

Yeah of course, and looking at the track from Project Cars 2 it looks like they definitely re-used at least most of the track geometry (some differences in T1 and 2) and some of the textures. Most of the terrain textures would have had to have been replaced to make use of the stock F1 2021 textures (asphalt, grass, gravel etc) but having access to the already built circuit definitely ate away a huge chunk of time.

But that’s fair, any trick goes to produce a track in the shortest amount of time possible. It’s not exact math, and obviously every track is different but it gives us a window into what’s possible in the best case scenario for a brand new track with access to laser-scanned game-ready track geo. Building a brand new track from the ground up obviously would take a lot longer but I think most potential calendar slots would be tracks that already existed in one of the previous F1 games (Nurburgring, Turkey, Imola etc.) so the situation would be comparable when bringing back one of these tracks.

I am disappointed they didn’t make changes to Spain and Australia... I actually got all the way to Australia first time I played this years game... Driving around the track thinking to myself “I swear they changed the track”. Wasn’t until I started posting on here, I realised that they hadn’t made the changes

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CptBalloonhands said:

Yup, March 5th.

Edit: btw this gives us a pretty damn good idea of how fast they can release a track in all-hands-on-deck mode. March 5th to September 13th… so about 6 months development time, assuming that development actually started in March. To do some super basic math, for a circuit with 15-18 turns that translates to about 6-10 days per turn (based on a 5-day work week) …just to put it into broad perspective. Also an interesting stat with respect to the unchanged Turn 10 in Barcelona with this year’s game and how long it roughly would have taken to change it.

The thing is if they changed one of the tracks people would cry out about the other changes, also its not just one corner to design but to retrain the AI for the area before and after the corner aswell.. Still wouldnt be too long but i guess the followed a everything or nothing approach in this

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest they need to hire more people to work on the tracks if they're struggling to release them in that amount of time. Not having Jeddah ready when it was announced in October 2020 is poor. Can't recall when Imola and Portimao were confirmed but I think it was quite a bit later so they are more understandable. You can argue "well it takes them this amount of time to train AI etc.." but ultimately as a consumer, that's not my problem. When buying the licenced product, having it accurate with tracks and cars is the bare minimum.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jeddah will be this late due to the state of the real circuit which is still under construction. Codemasters got the basic layout but I guess they hold production to get more information what the real track will look like.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAK said:

I think Jeddah will be this late due to the state of the real circuit which is still under construction. Codemasters got the basic layout but I guess they hold production to get more information what the real track will look like.

They dont hold production now (we have seen the preview pics so its mostly done) but they couldnt start the work in october last year because the base layout is nothing they can make a track out of, they had to know exactly what the finalised plans will be which only happened early to mid this year? they will have it in the game before the actual GP is happening so thats not bad at all!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the desire of all F1 users is the same, to have the "important" updates of the circuits such as Spain, Abu Dhabi, Australia and Azerbaijan; as well as maintaining circuits that may not be used next year such as Portimao and Imola. However, stepping on the ground and being perhaps a little realistic for the same experience with this year's game I doubt very much that all that package of updates and cam will be completed For the only and great reason that next year all cars change from the aesthetic to the way of handling. 

Another question that comes to mind is whether the game will remain available to ps4 users or they will already make the definitive jump to ps5. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, DAVB12 said:

Another question that comes to mind is whether the game will remain available to ps4 users or they will already make the definitive jump to ps5. 

It's quite an important point as you'd not want them to create two different games as that'd take even longer for issues to get fixed if there's another platform to support. So you'd assume they'd keep the game the same between PS4 and PS5 until the next-gen crossover which still looks over a year away tbh.  It's way too early for them to commit to F1 2022 being PS5 only as they'd lose so many sales so we can pretty much rule that out. 

Therefore the game will be hamstrung to the lowest common denominator (PS4) so won't have all the bells and whistles it would do when it goes to prioritising PS5. 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...