Jump to content Jump to content

[ ALL PLATFORMS ] - Desync and General Quality of Life in Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Codemasters put a statement out like that, that will be the day lol. Been online problems before and codemasters always silent and in last years edition when the saves became corrupt in single player, the lack of info from codemasters was staggering ( but the admins on here did all they could to help and was greatly appreciated by me anyway).

Dear Members, dear staffs, dear f1 2021 players.

I am really angry! Really angry! This game isn't ready for Online, it is not ready for League races and absolutely not ready for a E-Sport Series. 

This is unbelievable. 
I watch many F1 leagues on Twitch and drive many myself. 

And in 10 races, 7 races are desynced, are bugged, and whatever. 

It got a lot worse after the update. Portimao is such a great track, the best Codemasters has ever done, but the multiplayer is neglected asf. That is not how it works! The servers are so crowded and lag and bug. There is a desync in almost every race. Desyncs even run in 3 (!) And 5 (!) Laps. You have to imagine that, the races are so short and yet they are buggy. Incredible. This is incredible. 
I spent almost € 80 on the game and I get a game that is only bugged in multiplayer, should I only play offline or what? And it's not without bugs.

Sorry but i am so angry about this.

It can't be that so many lobbies are bugging. That can't be, how do you get something like that. 
That is a cheek! The worst F1 in multiplayer ever. 
And should an e-sports series start in October? A professional series? That will not do.
I've rarely been so damn angry. Unfortunately there are no good alternatives for playing F1. But until then I prefer to play F1 2013 and F1 2017. Oh my, that's so unbelievable.

Just a few examples:

(2) THE WEIRDEST LEAGUE RACE EVER? - PSGL Round 5 Monza - YouTube
(2) PSGL | PC | Season 29 | F1 - Round 5 | Italy - YouTube

(2) F1 2021 desync lobby - YouTube

(2) Spins, DeSync and Chaos | F1 2020 League Racing Clip - YouTube

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
16 minutes ago, Billieboy said:

The servers are so crowded

Which servers? There are no servers. And yes the multiplayer lobbies are a pain in the backside, this should have been fixed with the very first patch that came out (but seemingly story mode was more important then). Since the lobbies seemed to work flawlessly in F1 2020, the question is, what causes these permanent lobby kicks anyway. And since you are refering to e-sports - for e-sports, F1 2021 uses a different build than we all play on, see here:

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 1

That is frustration at high levels!!!!!

I am not certain about this, but i think the online players are the majority in the game and yet the online part of the game has the same bugs for years and it is getting worse!!!!

Edited by LocoVarrido

Ranked mode still doesnt work.

Unranked mode says that you're going to join the lobby and instead puts you into the race on lap 7 of 13 instead. That's if the game let's you join the session at all!

• Agree 1
9 minutes ago, RLLL said:

The paying public dont need a stable version only the esports drivers

I understand that frustration and I share it. See the e-sport statement that I linked above and the "mixed" (to say the least) reactions about it.

However I do not think it is that simple. I am not an IT / network guy, but guessing into the blue, it seems to me that the current way how multiplayer games are being organized (1 of the players becomes the host with his very PC, all other players PC's or consoles connect to that and to each other) is the major part of the problem. It would be interesting to learn, in what way the e-sports build differs here. This game needs dedicated servers, like all major multiplayer titles are being run on today. That however, costs an awful lot of money to setup and to maintain, and i seems the F1 20xx series made it up to this point without those. Given all the problems you hear of (and you experience, e.g. in the forum championships) it seems though that the F1 game series wont go much further than this with this very multiplayer concept. The way multiplayer works as of today will certainly not help to better the franchise' reception by the playerbase. Problem for the playerbase: As long as the game sells due to "a new story mode that was years in the making" we can not expect the developers focus on this matter, at least not as much as we would like to see.

Bottom line - I would wish to hear from the developers a) that they acknowledge they are aware of these issues and are working on it, and b) some kind of timeline what to expect from patches short term c) some kind of timeline what to expect from F1 multiplayer gaming in the near / middle / far future and from upcoming iterations of the game (especially F1 2022).

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1
22 minutes ago, Badmayhem said:

PSGL commentator in the last tier 1 race state that CM was trying to fix the problem as they had been made aware of it (perhaps through Ultra's video?)

So they are trying!

Be nice if they would inform the rest of us lol.

You know, the vast majority of the playerbase. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
On 9/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, Bicarda said:

Ghosting is not the answer.. I think ghosting should be disabled across the board because it's too random and it's better if people always know they can't drive through eachother. 
(as well as giving lapped cars the feeling they do not, in fact, have to gtfo of the way, even though they very much influence cars behind) 

But regardless of that. the desyncs need fixing. ghosting under sc will fix just symptoms and then add more issues. also when should the ghosting stop? at the line? and then you just keep driving inside someone so you can't unghost and then drive straight through them in t1? ghosting doesn't belong in this game. It should just work well enough that it's not necessary except for maybe extreme freezes and ai cars and the likes. 

I've always thought that ghosting was a terrible band aid for connectivity issues. Connectivity issues have always undermined the core of the online experience. Fix your connection, play wired. The game needs to disconnect people without a good connection and say "you don't have good enough internet to play this game".

If the netcode requires too much bandwidth then let's get back to basics with a ground up rewrite. It should be possible to simply update car position to all involved in the session. Anything else is garbage and should be set in the session for the game engine to play out on the local peer / client.

And this thread should be in GD / chat.

Edited by steviejay69
  • Agree 1

We had an amazing s**t show in our league race today. Massive desyncing, safetycar for every little incident, cars warping around, safety car warping around... I'm amazed that some cars actually managed to finish the race. As it is right now it's just not possible to race online.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I was playing unranked the other day in Portimao. The Safety Car came out. After 1 lap a message popped up saying it was coming back in (that was fast ?!). The lights went green and everyone went full speed again…except the SC car was still on track. My buddy got DSQ’d for passing it. It stayed on track for the rest of the race. 

• Haha 1

Having a different build for esports is not that uncommon. Even FIFA used to have theirs hosted on Microsoft Store. Just recently Blizzard announced that the next season of Overwatch will run on an early build of Overwatch 2.

Plenty of reasons for that. Some of dubious legitimacy, as FIFA esports build supposedly not having the handicap/scripting that people claim to exist on regular multiplayer. Others are focused on a stricter code, e.g. with a closed list of peripherals and accessories allowed to lower the risk of third party tools hacking the code for cheats. If I'm not mistaken sometimes even those fancy cameras and data available for the broadcasting of esports game are esports' build exclusives.

I'm not familiar with F1 esports build and honestly there's no denying the current state of multiplayer is quite the shambles. Just pointing out what @Schneehase has touched on already. The sole existence of an esports build doesn't mean that there's necessarily something wrong with the public version.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

We never had (recognizable) desync issues before the last update, but now online Multiplayer seems to be unplayable:

Yesterday we had 4 races, I call them a), b), c).

a) 4 humans, 16 AI. I was host. One human player saw the other players right after the start with an "X" in front of their name. He was out of sync the whole race resulting in wrong ranking order, random blue flags at the finish line, cars parking on the finish line (that were in fact in the pits) on his screen. More severe: AI players don't seem to recognize the positions of all drivers properly and are driving as if they are not existent resulting in massive damages, just as it was in your forums-league.

b) 4 humans, no AI. Same issue. The same human player was out of sync after one lap. From that point onwards other human players don't see his "proper" position, resulting in a huge crash for him, while other do not recognize that he is existent.

c) 16 humans, one of the new players was host. After lap one, another human just ignores that I am next to him, drives me off the track, which results in a huge crash for me. On his screen I was behind him and not next to him. I continue playing, and see others drive on top of each others cars, just like in the Monza- PSGL Video. I "go back to main menu" and rejoined and from that point onwards, my game was synced again. However, other players still had issues. This could result in random crashes because poitions on track are slightly desynced or totally wrong poitions when positions are hugely out of sync.

• Platform: PC
  • Game-mode: Multiplayer Online (no league)

Edit: Just to make sure that we are not the only one experiencing the issue: There are many other threads about this topic, see e.g.

DxDiag_nCDes.txt

Edited by newCDes
Added links to other topics

This needs to be addressed as a priority, IMO.

A Triple-A game, that suffers with a simple concept of online play, is not value for money. League racing is a big part of the game, particularly with the uptick in sim racing, due to COVID-19.

To not address, will ruin the franchise for future releases, as people will turn their heads toward other games to get their league racing fix. Shockingly, the e-sports build will have no issues and I fear as long as this is the case, nothing will be challenged. 

• Agree 3
  • BarryBL changed the title to [ ALL PLATFORMS ] - Desync and General Quality of Life in Multiplayer Discussion Thread
  • BarryBL pinned and featured this topic