Jump to content Jump to content

ABS way too overpowered

i agree with TicoF1Gamer. ABS ist WAY to overpowered. I guess most drivers would accept non-ABS-users having benefits...

We have 3 leagues. Only in league 1 ABS is banned. In this season some league 2 drivers, that didnt use ABS in F1 2020, turned ABS on, because they had such a big disadvantage over a whole race. 

If someone like Jarno Opmeer who uses "ABS off" in perfection is just 1 tenth away from his "ABS on" time - every one else will lose much more time by turning the assist off.

I also think this game wont change even after the complaints. They are working on F1 2022.

10 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I'd also add racing line as shown assist, since a lot of people use it to go fast, you know :)

If a person follows the racing line strictly, never learning the actual track for themselves. The best places to brake, to turn in, and the best way to accelerate. They are going to slow themselves down. The racing line is only "optimal" in theory, but in terms of the actual game; it is suboptimal. It leaves a drastic margin for error, in order to guide people around a track in a fashion that allows them to keep the most control of the car at any given time. To drive fast with the driving line on, you have to essentially ignore it. Basicially, in certain places on certain tracks. You need to keep the line between yellow, amber and bright red, in order to drive fast with it.

Most people who follow the racing line, will usually do so in such a way as to keep it from going into the yellow, amber and especially the red. So they lose time on the track compared to a seasoned and fast player who doesnt use the line.

There really is no need to show that specific one on the LB, as it truly has no benifit in driving fast. I would actually say it is a hindrence, even for pure beginners. And I would encourage anyone who genuinly wants to be fast in any racing title, to turn it off completely.

ABS and TCS on the other hand, they should be highlighted. But again, they will still slow most people down. This is because most people who use those assists, will tend to be more forceful on their throttle and brake applications. Essentially, mashing the controls. Because those assists, for the most part, correct that player behaviour.

The issue with driving like that however, is that you again lose time compared to someone who is more precise and skillful with their controller inputs. Forcing the ABS and TCS to always be active under braking and throttle application, abusing the assists, is the most ineffective way to use those assists.

If a person wants to be fast with those 2 assists, they have to learn to drive as though they are not even using them. They shine the best when they are barely triggered, as they are not interfaring with the accelleration or deceleration of the car as much then.

Using ABS will make your braking distances longer, especially if you just plant the brake fully and just allow the ABS to stop you from locking up.

And TCS will slow you down in acceleration zones, if you just plant it fully and let the TCS control the wheel spin.

Its the same in most racing titles that have any semblence of real world physics in their design. Its the same in Gran Turismo, Forza, Dirt Rally 1 and 2, ACC, Asseto Corsa.

ACC, to my knowledge and experiance. Has the best implementation of ABS and TCS. Which makes sense, as it is a simulation based game trying to replicate a racing series that allows the use of ABS and TCS. So they have put drasictly more work into those systems, and how they behave while on track.

Either way, no one should be derided for using any assist they need. And if any assist does help anyone drive faster, or even if an assist allows someone to get top times. Then it really shouldnt be an issue. To be able to drive top 50 times in any racing game, you still have to be at the top of your game anyway. And even if those people was to turn off the assists they have used, they would still end up setting very similar times. So it really is a null and void point to say they are OP. No matter which way you look at it, they are in the game. And if they do allow people to drive faster, and that persons aim is to drive faster. Then they are going to use it.

They are not cheating, they are not being cheap. They are just using every advantage that the game provides them, and everyone playing the game can use those same advantages.

I say this as a person who doesnt use any of the assists in F1 2021, I dont like them or feel I need them. But I have no issue with those who do need them, or those who set stonking times using them. It is what it is, and it really doesnt effect me or my play through of the games.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
5 hours ago, shion13 said:

i agree with TicoF1Gamer. ABS ist WAY to overpowered. I guess most drivers would accept non-ABS-users having benefits...

We have 3 leagues. Only in league 1 ABS is banned. In this season some league 2 drivers, that didnt use ABS in F1 2020, turned ABS on, because they had such a big disadvantage over a whole race. 

If someone like Jarno Opmeer who uses "ABS off" in perfection is just 1 tenth away from his "ABS on" time - every one else will lose much more time by turning the assist off.

I also think this game wont change even after the complaints. They are working on F1 2022.

Sorry mate but i don t agree with your vision point.. in My case i don t use ABS and any other assists and i had done the test and i can confirm myself that i am able to be 0.5 sec or more faster without using Assists.. and ABS specially if you turn ABS assist On you Will loose time braking because Will increase your braking distance.. unique positive effect that cause in your driving style is don t let you lock up your tyres

14 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Well, thank you for such an extended reply!

Firstly, I always raced with the racing line until 2019. In my opinion and it has been proving to be right by many drivers I raced with that using the line is greatly improve general racing skills.

• Not only can you brake at near perfect spot every time you also fence yourself off from mistakes of not perfect hitting those braking points as well, same goes to wheel-to-wheel battles. Red colored always vividly assist you when its time to brake.
  • As you may know braking in particular defines how good the driver is, how good you perform under braking results what your lap time is.
  • Baku being an example of perfect braking is a limiting factor of lap time. I remember after I more or less learned all braking points on most tracks I turned the racing line off in Baku and I was 1.5 sec off of it being turned on.

So my point is the racing line is not of a nice little help to drive as if you drive without it. No, in fact, the pace of most drivers (addicted to it ofc) will be dropped down significantly once they try to nail a lap without it.

All in all I have no issues with anyone who uses the line or any other kind of assist I'm just say it's not necessarily their true pace that's it.)