Jump to content Jump to content

AI not properly effected by weather change?

When going from dry to wet, the AI doesn't seem to lose as much grip as the player, and its by a fair margin. The second to last corner on Budapest (the last hairpin) I was understeering even at very low speeds, and the AI past me like I was sitting still, for example. I can't match their pace even with TCS on medium coming out of corners either. Though that may have been exasperated by my frustration at being passed around every corner because I couldn't go the same speed as the AI.

This was with my downforce at 11-10 as I knew it was going to rain. 

My friend seems to have the same issue though, so I'm wondering if we are both just being trash at the game or if the AI genuinely has too much grip as the weather changes. 

2 hours ago, squalles said:

yes, but this happens since old versions too, and remains the same at today

It's been a long time since I played 2020, so maybe I just forgot, but I don't remember it being this bad. 

I think it was 2012 that I once gained like 6 spots because of the AI crashing on the final lap because of rain lol.

Your better off reducing tyre pressure,  softening suspension. than increasing downforce.... Slower you are the less effective downforce is....Hungary is a slow track as it is...  Mechanical grip is what you have overlooked.... Front suspension as low as 1 or 2. And front arb Softer. 

I have no trouble from ai in wet. If I’ve got the right setup fro the track.

Ai are faster cause they not running as much downforce thus less drag

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
15 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Your better off reducing tyre pressure,  softening suspension. than increasing downforce.... Slower you are the less effective downforce is....Hungary is a slow track as it is...  Mechanical grip is what you have overlooked.... Front suspension as low as 1 or 2. And front arb Softer. 

I have no trouble from ai in wet. If I’ve got the right setup fro the track.

Ai are faster cause they not running as much downforce thus less drag

In straight wet I'm fine and have no issues VS AI. Its the transition from dry to wet where they don't seem to be properly affected.

• Agree 2
14 minutes ago, DarkRedslayer said:

In straight wet I'm fine and have no issues VS AI. Its the transition from dry to wet where they don't seem to be properly affected.

If that’s case just reducing tyre pressure should solve that... gives your slicks abit more traction as the track starts getting wetter

• Disagree 1
30 minutes ago, Badmayhem said:

You sure ya dont have natural drag from water caused by ride height being to low?

Which should effect both you and ai equally.... but don’t quote me... I’m still perplexed at times... I’m not advising on actual physics but on experience 

• Agree 1

I play nearly full assists and have not found this if I shift brake balance full rear and differential to 50% when the first rain drops hit. My AI is between 70 and 80 depending on the track. When I don’t make the change then there is a little slippage in favour of the AI during the transition. But again full assists except for steering, ERS, and DRS. 

Maybe this is a bit off topic but it’s about AI behaviour in the rain.

Had a race in Austria the other day where it was raining for the last 13 or 14 laps. Not heavy, just inters. With about 4 laps left Jeff says the rain is going to let up in around 5 minutes. No big deal, race almost over so whatever. I think I’m running in 5th or 6th at that point. I notice the cars in front of me start to pit with 3 laps left. I’m wondering why would they pit now since theres no way their inters where shot and we only have 3 laps to go. They all actually pitted for wets and the whole field did including my teammate. So now I get a free win and Jeff never asked me to pit for wets and even said again the rain was letting up. First time that has happened to me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Aef251 said:

I play nearly full assists and have not found this if I shift brake balance full rear and differential to 50% when the first rain drops hit. My AI is between 70 and 80 depending on the track. When I don’t make the change then there is a little slippage in favour of the AI during the transition. But again full assists except for steering, ERS, and DRS. 

Do the exact same thing regarding brakes and dif.... 

Just curious why you don’t put drs on assist..  I found I never missed activating it once so I decided may aswell be on assist

22 minutes ago, qn999 said:

Maybe this is a bit off topic but it’s about AI behaviour in the rain.

Had a race in Austria the other day where it was raining for the last 13 or 14 laps. Not heavy, just inters. With about 4 laps left Jeff says the rain is going to let up in around 5 minutes. No big deal, race almost over so whatever. I think I’m running in 5th or 6th at that point. I notice the cars in front of me start to pit with 3 laps left. I’m wondering why would they pit now since theres no way their inters where shot and we only have 3 laps to go. They all actually pitted for wets and the whole field did including my teammate. So now I get a free win and Jeff never asked me to pit for wets and even said again the rain was letting up. First time that has happened to me.

Very odd... I’ve never seen this from ai with so few laps left. Normally it’s the other way round Jeff telling you to pit whilst the ai stay out

• Agree 1
36 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Very odd... I’ve never seen this from ai with so few laps left. Normally it’s the other way round Jeff telling you to pit whilst the ai stay out

It was very strange indeed. I had another weird one at Interlagos in my first season of career mode where it’s start raining with 4 or 5 laps left and the track got wet really quick and I couldn’t control the car at all, Jeff didn’t change my strategy or anything but I couldn’t take any corner with the slicks (can’t remember if med or soft) so I had to pit myself and put on inters but I was the only one. The AI didn’t pit at all. My car was still at the bottom in terms of performance and I wasn’t running in the points but I started to overtake cars as the AI were sliding around all over the place and still wouldn’t pit. I must have gained 4 or 5 places by the end in only 2 or 3 laps. That was a weird one too.

The strangest thing for me is I still have barely had any rain races. Practice and qualifying more so but probably only 6 or 7 rains races in 2 and a half seasons. I even practiced a lot in the wet in anticipation of having a 3rd season of monsoon racing but so far so dry. I’m not complaining but it’s the opposite of what I read on here and from my past experience playing 2017.

Since 1.07 I think rain has been reduced.  Before then I was getting rain over two thirds off races...   now it’s about 10%.

Also think he rain is scripted... As it tends to rain at points that gives you tough choices like last few laps... do you stay out? Or do you change?

17 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Do the exact same thing regarding brakes and dif.... 

Just curious why you don’t put drs on assist..  I found I never missed activating it once so I decided may aswell be on assist

No reason really, seemed like a simple thing I can control that can make a difference if I forget to do it.