Jump to content Jump to content

AI Completely Ignores Player

The AI in this game completely ignores player positioning. I can be following the racing line, and the AI will aggressively push into me and won’t give up until the AI forces me to spin out. It happens all the time, the AI will even push into me during cornering. It’s like the AI isn’t programmed to recognize player location and just goes for the racing line no matter what. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
26 minutes ago, Moebius21 said:

The AI in this game completely ignores player positioning. I can be following the racing line, and the AI will aggressively push into me and won’t give up until the AI forces me to spin out. It happens all the time, the AI will even push into me during cornering. It’s like the AI isn’t programmed to recognize player location and just goes for the racing line no matter what. 

I have never noticed this. I only crashed with AI when I ignored that someone is attacking or is even next to me, while I stay on the ideal line. If you have a video, we could discuss your situation. The AI is aggressive but it is not more aggressive than human beings are. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

You say while you stay on the ideal line. So you crash with the AI, while you’re on the ideal line. To me that means the AI should be giving up the positioning, instead of pushing you off the line, like the drivers are supposed to do in real life.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Moebius21 said:

You say while you stay on the ideal line. So you crash with the AI, while you’re on the ideal line. To me that means the AI should be giving up the positioning, instead of pushing you off the line, like the drivers are supposed to do in real life.

Do you ever give up position to the aI? Just curious. 

• Agree 1
Just now, Moebius21 said:

No in my opinion, that is most happened mistake in a fight with an opponent.

We often ignore other racers because we think, "well i am in front, so the ideal line is mine". That thought is too easy and don't work in a sport like this. If someone already next to you, or even some part of his car (seen by the red arrows) then, you should better leave space. This is a situation when you exactly should not insist on your driving line. A clean duel means that you have to adapt your line, you have to accept, someone else is there. If someone is attacking in the inline, you failed "closing the door" before. You leaved space for his attack there. These attacks can be surprising but it is fair from an opponent to use that chance. 

• Agree 3
12 minutes ago, DonBlanko said:

I have never noticed this. I only crashed with AI when I ignored that someone is attacking or is even next to me, while I stay on the ideal line. If you have a video, we could discuss your situation. The AI is aggressive but it is not more aggressive than human beings are. 

So in this video, clearly I am off the racing line as I head toward the next turn. I am rejoining the racing line as it approaches my line, and Mazepin, who I passed is on the line. But he just holds the racing line, even though I am passed him. Mazepin just moves right into my left rear, spinning me, instead of avoiding the collision.

But, as a avid watcher of real world F1, the FIA has very strict rules set on things like this. In the real world, it is the responsibility of the drivers to give up positioning to the driver with the superior line and give space. If you want to attack with the inferior line, you can, but you have to give space in order to avoid a crash. No way would the crash in my video occur normally. The AI should’ve given the space and didn’t. 

Actually its not about the line but about how far alongside you are. If you are alongside like in your video both have to give space and cant force a driver off. That doesnt mean Stewards consistently punish this, in fact they rarely ever do it. But to have real racing, you need to do that otherwise you can always force a driver off the track only because you are either a tiny bit in front or on the better line

• Agree 1

You didn't leave any space and you had plenty of space to your right to go in to that corner at a wider entry as the ai you passed can't just vanish when you pass them they still on your inside and you have to have some awareness of were the ai is which in this instance you did not . In this case it wasn't a ai fault but your error. You want ai with no awareness go play acc then you will appreciate this ai a lot more ... 

• Agree 2

Exactly this. The ops experience with the AI isnt my experiance at all in this game. I find them rather fun to race and overtake. And for the most part, its usually really clean. Even when it gets 3 wide.

• Like 1

Exactly as long as you are aware of them and don't just expect them to give up the corner or battle easily you will have great battles. But if you just drive like you own the road then things like the op experience wil happen. Like I said all they had to do was go wide entry in to that corner and continue the battle out and in to the next corner. It posts like this that could get the ai dumbed down and just be passive bots which we definitely don't want . 

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

You didn't leave any space and you had plenty of space to your right to go in to that corner at a wider entry as the ai you passed can't just vanish when you pass them they still on your inside and you have to have some awareness of were the ai is which in this instance you did not . In this case it wasn't a ai fault but your error. You want ai with no awareness go play acc then you will appreciate this ai a lot more ... 

I have to disagree with you here, yes he had a bit space to the right but considering there was much more space to the left and he didnt turn left its not to blame on him, the AI just followed the racing line going into him.. In general you are right and it is probably often the case that the player is also at fault (or mostly), but in this instance its all the AI, following the racing line altho there is a car, ending with its front wing touching his rear wheel, in real life this would always be a penalty for the Haas

1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

Exactly as long as you are aware of them and don't just expect them to give up the corner or battle easily you will have great battles. But if you just drive like you own the road then things like the op experience wil happen. Like I said all they had to do was go wide entry in to that corner and continue the battle out and in to the next corner. It posts like this that could get the ai dumbed down and just be passive bots which we definitely don't want . 

I don’t want passive AI, but no way ever in the history of ever would one driver just continuously drive over into another to the point of spinning. I was way more than 50% ahead of the HAAS. I expect it to give me a challenge, but to just drive over straight into me and continuously push against me? No.

I have had the AI push against me, I pull away wide, then they close the distance and push further against me again to the point I have no track. The AI in this game is completely broken. It might be an issue specific to multiplayer career because that is what I was playing. 

I would also like to point out that the AI never receives penalties for contact. I have had the AI straight slam into the back of me as I am breaking. Not softly either, with extreme, Rocket League level force, sending me flying off the track. But I get the penalty for contact? How TF is that a thing?

You have to realise you are racing against a code that are programmed to drive a certain line so you have to be aware of were they are . Example in your video as you went past the ai you didn't look back to see were it was and you just took the line as if it just disappeared and it was still on your side as you moved across hence it hit your rear wheel and you span.  Now if you had checked you would of seen it was still on your inside and gave more room . Racing ai will never be like racing a human player who can react differently etc . But compared to everything else available this is bar far the best for wheel to wheel battles ....

14 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

You have to realise you are racing against a code that are programmed to drive a certain line so you have to be aware of were they are . Example in your video as you went past the ai you didn't look back to see were it was and you just took the line as if it just disappeared and it was still on your side as you moved across hence it hit your rear wheel and you span.  Now if you had checked you would of seen it was still on your inside and gave more room . Racing ai will never be like racing a human player who can react differently etc . But compared to everything else available this is bar far the best for wheel to wheel battles ....

I agree the AI is great in this game, but even F1 2019 AI didn’t do this. The AI in 2019 would react and respond to player positioning and wouldn’t do that. I didn’t play 2020 enough to talk about it.

20 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

Why are you accusing him of going accross? He held the line and the AI went accross.. The AI is usually reactive to where the player is and will instantly go off the line when you get close (this year less extreme), but this time it really acted as if the player wasnt there.. Criticism on the players ignoring them is fine but keep it on facts pls

Just try and look back when you side by side or in battles to be a bit more aware of were they are and just give them bit of space and not just follow the set line . The ai this year fight back a lot harder than 19 ever did so just because you think you passed they will fight back hence why I suggested trying to get in the habit of looking back to see were they are ....

Watch the video please he wasn't fully ahead and on the outside line for the next corner so he should of went right and realized the ai would still be on the inside fir the next corner. If people actually have had some awareness and not just expect the ai to as you say insanity go offline why should they ? The move was far from done and they had inside so he should of gone towards the right kerb left space not just expected the ai to just vanish ..... 

8 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

Watch the video please he wasn't fully ahead and on the outside line for the next corner so he should of went right and realized the ai would still be on the inside fir the next corner. If people actually have had some awareness and not just expect the ai to as you say insanity go offline why should they ? The move was far from done and they had inside so he should of gone towards the right kerb left space not just expected the ai to just vanish ..... 

The move wasnt dont but he was much in front and went straight, he didnt turn left nor right, in real life you can expect the driver thats behind not to turn right to get more of the racing line. There was plenty of room on the left for the AI and one should expect the AI to adapt its line not force the car in front off the track by turning right. Its really not that hard and has a fairly recent counterpart in reallife with Räikkönen and Vettel in Austria when Vettel was not even as much in front and Räikkönen went to the right, guess who got a penalty

Why are you comparing real life driver's to racing a code in a game ?? It never going to be like that.... Plus you don't know what the ai did as he never looked back to see were it was or how far ahead he was did he ... He was going round the outside and just took his normal line when there was a car near his inside you simply don't do that you go the long way round as he should of done . If he had adapted as the human player and went right and wide entry it would never have touched.  

1 hour ago, Naxlr said:

My issue is this, you just gave the code and the coders and excuse. I have to realize I’m racing AI and not a human. The coders COULD have and SHOULD have coded the AI to recognize a players positioning. But instead, the AI just follows a line to the death with no regard for where the player is. The AI could be 1000% better if it was just as challenging, but also detected the player positioning and didn’t just crash. I saw the HAAS in my left mirror, watch the left mirror. It just drives into me.

9 minutes ago, Naxlr said:

Why are you comparing real life driver's to racing a code in a game ?? It never going to be like that.... Plus you don't know what the ai did as he never looked back to see were it was or how far ahead he was did he ... He was going round the outside and just took his normal line when there was a car near his inside you simply don't do that you go the long way round as he should of done . If he had adapted as the human player and went right and wide entry it would never have touched.  

The goal is to make the AI behave like real drivers so why should i not compare it to real life? He went down the inside which would turn to the outside and kept his line! You dont need to look back, you can see the arrow and you can see the car in the left mirror and you can see how he spins out, by that you can make a fairly accurate guess on how far behind the AI was - not even half way alongside which is enough to give the AI space, which there was.. I dont know why you want him to take an extra wide line only to give even more space? When there is sufficient space for a car (there was) you should never have to give more space! The AI just followed the racing line which led it right into the player you can see this by the arrow being on the far left first and then almost moving into the middle, but this was not caused by the player as you can see on the right with the white line - the space between the line and the tyre didnt change (even got little smaller) so he went straight - the AI went right

1 hour ago, Moebius21 said:

I would also like to point out that the AI never receives penalties for contact.

I'm not sure about that. Loading the Race Director screen after a GP is always a joy as there's usually warnings and even 5s penalties dished out for the AI having contact with other AI cars.

On the topic as a whole, to say that the "AI in this game completely ignores player positioning" does not reflect my experience at all. And what @Ialyrn showcased is often what I find – naturally with less skill on my part haha!

On OP's particular incident, I'd only have a beef with it if it were a consistent behavior. Awareness goes both ways, just like @Naxlr is saying, and I wouldn't go past me to cause the same exact collision if it was a multiplayer match with me in the Haas cockpit: I'd fully expect the Red Bull to make better use of the breadth of the track and widen that corner for a better exit.

Now with this all I'm saying is that I could make the same mistake as the Haas. As in, the Haas was in the wrong here, even if it's hard to judge as OP does not have the virtual rearview mirror and does not look back to see where the Haas is going.

Again, I'm all for this. Specially with Mazepin, the AI with the lowest Racecraft and one of the lowest Awareness ratings. As long as it does not happen consistently and is indeed a bad decision taken by the AI with other options available on their decision tree. 

• Agree 3