Jump to content Jump to content

Pole position


Recommended Posts

Not once during the 9.1/2 seasons ive played in My Team have i been able to keep the lead from the start. Every time at least 2/3 cars zoom past me once the lights go out , im using full TC, as I cant play any other way. Is this a known thing ?

Edited by Madmaz116
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Madmaz116 said:

Not once during the 9.1/2 seasons ive played in My Team have i been able to keep the lead from the start. Every time at least 2/3 cars zoom past me once the lights go out , im using full TC, as I cant play any other way. Is this a known thing ?

Yes traction control will have this effect on race starts. I watch a youtuber that uses traction control on full and 9 times out of 10 he gets swallowed up on the start. 
 

you could try short shifting to 3rd gear as soon as possible and then get the power down and overtake mode on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

TC basically limits your power output, so the rear wheels will not get more power than they can handle and put it onto the track surface. You can try and accelerate as if TC would be switched off, so it would not need to kick in. But then you could basically turn it off. So yes, working as intended. There are a few videos on YT how to get a great start, rest is practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jobling1983 said:

Yes traction control will have this effect on race starts. I watch a youtuber that uses traction control on full and 9 times out of 10 he gets swallowed up on the start. 
 

you could try short shifting to 3rd gear as soon as possible and then get the power down and overtake mode on. 

But I never had this with 2020

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madmaz116 said:

But I never had this with 2020

I dont know, but its a different game so could be coded different. I thought starts on 2020 were quite easy, so they might have adjusted it. 
 

i know you said you cant play without TC, but if i were to give any advice on this forum it would be to play without TC. Once you get used to it, you will be amazed at how much quicker you can go.

there will be a big learning curve and you will be frustrated with spinning out, but will be worth it 😁

there are lots of tips on this forum and YT to help you along.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What difficulty level were you in F1 2020, what difficulty level did you start at in F1 2021 and what at level are you playing now?

Asking because assists will be a performance hindrance. There's probably a difficulty band where the game might become unbalanced in some aspects (like race starts) if you keep on playing with assists well beyond the point where we assume one wouldn't be anymore.

A standing start is like prime time for TC. You're going from zero to 200kph+ in a short patch. The TC will probably be kicking in like crazy, capping your performance.

Assuming that's indeed the case, I guess you either get to slowly move past using TC or Codies bake in a handicap for the AI on higher difficulty levels to keep up with players using TC.

Lots of assumptions here though, mate! With these things the best course of action still is showing what you're experiencing. A clip would go a long way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

Not once during the 9.1/2 seasons ive played in My Team have i been able to keep the lead from the start. Every time at least 2/3 cars zoom past me once the lights go out , im using full TC, as I cant play any other way. Is this a known thing ?

Do ya have the overtake activated before you start?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Badmayhem yeah, if one is playing with TC on there's really no reason not to have overtake active from the get go, I guess. That's helpful.

Just a heads up that Overtake mode will only kick in after reaching 100kph, even if you have it on before that. Now and then we get some Youtubers "testing" the optimum way to have race starts and often they gloss over that.

That's a restriction the game realistically simulates from F1 technical regulations. You do need to be wary and manage your throttle application to account for the full ERS deployment you'll get once you hit 100kph, but there's no extra BHP being delivered to your driven wheels before that.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, marioho said:

What difficulty level were you in F1 2020, what difficulty level did you start at in F1 2021 and what at level are you playing now?

Asking because assists will be a performance hindrance. There's probably a difficulty band where the game might become unbalanced in some aspects (like race starts) if you keep on playing with assists well beyond the point where we assume one wouldn't be anymore.

A standing start is like prime time for TC. You're going from zero to 200kph+ in a short patch. The TC will probably be kicking in like crazy, capping your performance.

Assuming that's indeed the case, I guess you either get to slowly move past using TC or Codies bake in a handicap for the AI on higher difficulty levels to keep up with players using TC.

Lots of assumptions here though, mate! With these things the best course of action still is showing what you're experiencing. A clip would go a long way.

I was playing with the Ai on 78 in 2020 in 2021 im on 75 (as they harder, plus Im not that good) In 2020 if i got pole i was able to fight to keep it (and it was a fight)  from the start of the race ,  in 2021 IF i get pole Im taken almost immediatly , I'll try and do a video.

Link to post
Share on other sites

75? That sounds reasonable. What is the name the game gives to this difficulty band? From 70-79?

Doesn't look like TC should be holding you back that much to the point of being overtaken immediately.

Assuming you're playing with realistic performance, are you using a "legitimate" pole car? Or are poles still hitting above your weight given your car's performance?

Anyway, if this is indeed just the TC, you could try to actually train to input the right amount of throttle as if you had no assist on. By making the TC activate less often and to a lesser extent, you won't have such a hit to your acceleration.

Every time this assist is engaged, you're losing performance. I've posted this in the Opmeer thread but take a look at the HUD for Gran Turismo Sport. You can see what the original player input was (white+red colors in the throttle and brake bars) and by how much it was cut (red area in the bar) by the assist. The screenshots are for ABS and TC, respectively.

80503072_GTS-ABSTC.thumb.png.1bd888b7a7abd1a8a70bfae86964c2da.png

The issue is, the assist will always cut out more input than it needs. Say you can apply 95% throttle, but you press the trigger 100%. The TC will cap your input to 85% instead of just shaving the extra 5%. Now if you had managed to apply 97% throttle, it would cap it to 92%. I'm conjuring numbers out of thin year but you get the gist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, Madmaz116 said:

Not once during the 9.1/2 seasons ive played in My Team have i been able to keep the lead from the start. Every time at least 2/3 cars zoom past me once the lights go out , im using full TC, as I cant play any other way. Is this a known thing ?

Let me guess, did you set the formation lap option to on, but then skip it and just start the race immediately? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

I was playing with the Ai on 78 in 2020 in 2021 im on 75 (as they harder, plus Im not that good) In 2020 if i got pole i was able to fight to keep it (and it was a fight)  from the start of the race ,  in 2021 IF i get pole Im taken almost immediatly , I'll try and do a video.

What is your target rpm on start?  Do you hold full throttle or something lower?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So similar for me. I race between 70 and 80 depending on track, start assist, surface temps only, and TC. I will always lose places at the start of a race no matter where I qualify. I do not have formation lap on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aef251 said:

So similar for me. I race between 70 and 80 depending on track, start assist, surface temps only, and TC. I will always lose places at the start of a race no matter where I qualify. I do not have formation lap on. 

Was ERS assist on? Normally you should have overtake button on as soon as your tires started gripping in 3-4 gear, because all the AI does it or else they'll just fly past you as if you're standing still. 

Edited by DRTApophis
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thought....... Put you starts on assited instead of manuel. On the start have overtake activated and full throttle applied, this should get ya to the turn 1st. If not then you must be using manuel gears and missing shifting points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Badmayhem said:

Another thought....... Put you starts on assited instead of manuel. On the start have overtake activated and full throttle applied, this should get ya to the turn 1st. If not then you must be using manuel gears and missing shifting points.

It's weird because I never had any issue with race starts. I think I've more issue with AI being way too slow 90% of the time at start despite running 100+ Ai with no assist. The only legit way to make them faster than me is to make sure myself have cold tires by skipping the formation lap on purpose. Make sure you check your tire temp at start to see if they're below 80 degrees or so, below 80 is where you'll really start to struggle with acceleration. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DRTApophis said:

It's weird because I never had any issue with race starts. I think I've more issue with AI being way too slow 90% of the time at start despite running 100+ Ai with no assist. The only legit way to make them faster than me is to make sure myself have cold tires by skipping the formation lap on purpose. Make sure you check your tire temp at start to see if they're below 80 degrees or so, below 80 is where you'll really start to struggle with acceleration. 

The guy is using full TC what your saying is true if he wasn't using TC. I myself have never used a formation lap in almost a year of playing, that is what I like about the game...it's depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Badmayhem you mean the tyre temps? You'll surely will have a easier time with cold tyres if you have TC on, but you'll also have better performance by racing with them in the correct temperature window regardless of the assist. I think the key is whether you have the Formation Lap option ticked on or off, assuming the game put you in a relatively good temperature range if you play with the option turned off.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marioho said:

@Badmayhem you mean the tyre temps? You'll surely will have a easier time with cold tyres if you have TC on, but you'll also have better performance by racing with them in the correct temperature window regardless of the assist. I think the key is whether you have the Formation Lap option ticked on or off, assuming the game put you in a relatively good temperature range if you play with the option turned off.

Formation laps off for myself as I just run 5 lap races in My Team and career modes. I dont even run practices unless im doing a major change on setups or turning an assist off on tracks I know which also gets rid of the wear issues. If I need more of a warm up I just restart 1 shot qualifications which resets the wear on the car and saves resource points as I dont have to spend them for durability.

To each his own😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Havnt read he entire thread... just my 2p.... If your using full tc can’t you  just give it more revs?  As wheelspin isn’t as much as a factor.

 

Must say ps5 triggers at start give awesome feedback 

Edited by ScaredDuck
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

Was ERS assist on? Normally you should have overtake button on as soon as your tires started gripping in 3-4 gear, because all the AI does it or else they'll just fly past you as if you're standing still. 

No ERS assist is off, and I only turn it on after the tyres grip, but by then the rest of the field is off like a shot. I just expect start assist to be more even with the AI. On the other hand, the AI is daft going into the first corner so I usually make places back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry not been around for a few days wow so many answers , ok so i cant do a video , as i dont know how to get it from my PS5 to this forum

@marioho its says the level is hard.  "Assuming you're playing with realistic performance, are you using a "legitimate" pole car? Or are poles still hitting above your weight given your car's performance?" not sure what you mean by this.

@DRTApophis no formation lap, i have ERS on right from the get go

@Cook95 worth a try

@gatorlb I hold it full , its impossible on the controller to hold it any less , Ive tried to hold it more gentle but the revs just cut out completely

@Badmayhem using automatic gears

 

Thanks for the responses guys

Edited by Madmaz116
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Madmaz116 said:

 

@marioho its says the level is hard.  "Assuming you're playing with realistic performance, are you using a "legitimate" pole car? Or are poles still hitting above your weight given your car's performance?" not sure what you mean by this.

Ever heard of the Trulli Train? He'll be on a slower car, say the equivalent of a Alfa or a Williams, and qualify it way, way ahead of where it "should" be. He had good defending though, so come Sunday there he is stopping everyone's lunges at him and forming this huge queue of faster cars that should be running alongside the spearhead but instead are all bulged up in the field behind him.

My question was if you're not outqualifying your car natural position. Like finishing in the top 10 on My Team season 1 or, well, scoring a pole with a midfield or backfield car. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, marioho said:

Ever heard of the Trulli Train? He'll be on a slower car, say the equivalent of a Alfa or a Williams, and qualify it way, way ahead of where it "should" be. He had good defending though, so come Sunday there he is stopping everyone's lunges at him and forming this huge queue of faster cars that should be running alongside the spearhead but instead are all bulged up in the field behind him.

My question was if you're not outqualifying your car natural position. Like finishing in the top 10 on My Team season 1 or, well, scoring a pole with a midfield or backfield car. 

Still dont quite understand what your asking me , sorry mate , Im in My Team season 10 my car is maxed out I qualify in the top 10 quite a bit , a fair amount in the top 5 , not all the time mind you , as i do one shot qualify , when I get pole its normally within a few tenths of 2nd place. But i get taken every time at the start by at least 2 cars

Edited by Madmaz116
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...