Jump to content Jump to content

How to get faster in F1 2021?

6 months ago I moved to a wheel and turned nearly all assists off thanks to the help of people on this forum! Pretty much all assists are off but I just didn't have the patience for taking off the line for corners, which in hindsight I really should have done. 

Unfortunately, i'm back because i'm now at the brink of giving up with this game. Since moving onto a wheel i've really not improved, at all.

- I'm stuck at playing on 75% AI at my best tracks and even lower at some of the others. I used to play on higher difficulty with a controller. 
- I literally cannot turn flashbacks off, and cannot stop crashing into the back of the AI, despite all my efforts. One example - today i've literally re-started my race from 4th on the Grid in Baku a good 40 times, I cannot get through the first corner without crashing into the AI. This had lead to me, for the second day in a row, packing up the rig and turning the game off. 

When I watch others enjoy the game, i'm extremely jealous, as it has so much potential, but more me I feel i'm at the end of my tether. I could put all the assists back on, but after putting in days and days of playing this, that'll take the fun out of it.

I really don't get where I am going so wrong. 

It is all about patience mate,calm down,row in and wait for your overtake,do not force it. The more you train you get used to brake zones so you do not crash in the back anymore. F1 is a quick reaction Sport,always have a food on the brake to react quickly. Mate this is like real,when you force it you crash...the more you play you will get better. Be aware some of us playing racing games since 20years. It will come,the feeling for it,no worries.

Further it is not a shame using flashbacks,you are not a pro,you not get paid to do it. So no shame

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

It is all about patience mate,calm down,row in and wait for your overtake,do not force it. The more you train you get used to brake zones so you do not crash in the back anymore. F1 is a quick reaction Sport,always have a food on the brake to react quickly. Mate this is like real,when you force it you crash...the more you play you will get better. Be aware some of us playing racing games since 20years. It will come,the feeling for it,no worries.

Further it is not a shame using flashbacks,you are not a pro,you not get paid to do it. So no shame

Seem to force it too much with flashbacks - so better to turn it off and take your time. 

Which brings me to this point - I'm not being inpatient, I just genuinely can't tell when the car infront is slowing down and am unable to slow the car in time. I'm not going for overtakes - this is just going into any corner. 

I think the route cause may be not knowing breaking zones and relying on the 3D line. 

Oh yeah get rid of this...no clue how to learn it without gaining experience...learn to let lose the throttle when you enter the 150,100 markings...and start to brake easy,maybe a bit earlier than the car before,next lap you know better when the AI is braking this corner,next season you know it as well and so on...

3 minutes ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Seem to force it too much with flashbacks - so better to turn it off and take your time. 

Which brings me to this point - I'm not being inpatient, I just genuinely can't tell when the car infront is slowing down and am unable to slow the car in time. I'm not going for overtakes - this is just going into any corner. 

I think the route cause may be not knowing breaking zones and relying on the 3D line. 

Don't wait to see that the other car is slowing down but rather anticipate that they will.

Your point about using the dynamic racing line may be a significant one though.

Just now, svensenk86 said:

Oh yeah get rid of this...no clue how to learn it without gaining experience...learn to let lose the throttle when you enter the 150,100 markings...and start to brake easy,maybe a bit earlier than the car before,next lap you know better when the AI is braking this corner,next season you know it as well and so on...

I might bring the AI down to 30 or something and do practice sessions, start a new season with the line off. I done this before but gave in. 

One thing is that when following another car closely, it is best to brake slightly earlier than normal as that gives you slightly mor3 time to react to car in front. Watch f1 a lot and you will see what happens when a car following to close behind brakes at normal point and car in front brakes slightly early, especially going into first corner on first lap lol( erm bottas this season lol)

Edited by Silverchris
32 minutes ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

think the route cause may be not knowing breaking zones and relying on the 3D line

Yep, i would agree with this, wish i had turned it off years ago. I’m planning on getting a wheel in the near future & it will be the first thing i turn off. Even if it means being a few seconds off the pace for a while

Edited by Jobling1983
  • Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Since moving onto a wheel i've really not improved, at all.

This is going to be a bit basic, but have you dialled it in correctly?

When I first tried F1 with a wheel I struggled a fair bit, and it turns out I was using too much Force-Feedback, and was too aggressive on the pedals.

Once I got the wheel to talk to me a bit better it all began to work out.

29 minutes ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

I might bring the AI down to 30 or something and do practice sessions, start a new season with the line off. I done this before but gave in. 

But then the cars are slower than you...i would stay with current AI level.

4 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

Yep, i would agree with this, wish i had turned it off years ago. I’m planning on getting a wheel in the near future & it will be the first thing i turn off. Even if it means being a few seconds off the pace for a while

I never use this assist,even now for portimao,takes 15-20 laps to get used to it. 

• Social Media & Community Team

One tip I could possibly give is to look at your flachback/replay of an incident, from the chase view.

You might see for example that you turned in way too late, braked too early or hit a nasty kerb.

Seeing and understanding why you're struggling is the first thing you can do to get better, as you build a database in your head of things to avoid, and eventually don't have to think about it.

Also, you don't need to master everything at once. Try to build up skills one at a time.

• Agree 2
30 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

This is going to be a bit basic, but have you dialled it in correctly?

When I first tried F1 with a wheel I struggled a fair bit, and it turns out I was using too much Force-Feedback, and was too aggressive on the pedals.

Once I got the wheel to talk to me a bit better it all began to work out.

You know what - I'm not too sure. I'm using the G29 and have switched the break pedal and clutch - one thing I did think this may have done is mean that my braking wasn't near hard enough, so i've changed this Linearity to 30 now. Throttle Linearity i've also changed to 10. I'll see if that helps. 

Playing with racing line off now and starting from scratch - i've put the AI probably too low. I think patience is the key thing, learn the tracks without the line and hopefully I should be more aware of my surroundings. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Playing with racing line off now and starting from scratch - i've put the AI probably too low. I think patience is the key thing, learn the tracks without the line and hopefully I should be more aware of my surroundings. 

If you've just switched the racing line off I would personally start in TT rather than racing with AI cars. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

The AI at lower levels will be slower than the optimal line would have the player traveling, so it makes sense you would be more prone to hit the AI with it turned on. The whole idea with the dynamic racing line assist, is to act as a referance guide more than anything. A little help to remind you where you need to be slowing down and controlling the grip more. Outside of that, it can and should be largely ignored.

Ideally, if you can learn without the racing line on at all. That would be the best change you can make. To learn the tracks without the line on, drive them slowely in Time Trial mode. You dont want to be going anywhere near racing speeds to do this, as it will cause more frustration. Driving slow gives you the time to learn your braking, steering and acceleration points. Thinking time is the most important thing when trying to learn something new and improve, you need that time to process what you are learning. If you spend a good few laps just learning the flow of the track and the lines, and aim for consistency in lap times; you will find you gain speed and confidence.

The same thing needs to happen with your race craft also, learning the tracks is only part of the story. So once you get confident on some of the tracks, pick your worst one. Jump in the Williams or Haas, with a resonable AI difficulty. Make sure you start at the back of the grid, and then follow the AI and practice overtaking when the change appears. Dont go for the win, just aim to get used to the traffic and passing it responsibly when a window opens. I do this all the time on 50% and 100% races, in order to improve my race craft. It became a bit lack lustre after years of only really playing Dirt Rally 🤣

Speaking of Dirt Rally, you can see me putting this advice into practice in this video. its a bit green with the commentary, but will allow you to see the above advice in action. This approch works regardless of the game or sim, its always the same. And even real race drivers start slow when learning a new track -

I would also recommend not changing the linarity of the pedals. Using the approch above will teach you better throttle and braking control, and changing the linearity to aid in control of the car can become a hindrence in your overall skill level over time. Having full use of the pedal is always the desirable effect. I have used the G27 and G920 in the past, I still own my G27 but recently gifted the G920 to a friend 2 weeks ago. And the F1 games work really well with the logitech pedals. It just takes time to get used to how much you need to press the pedal for the desired amount of throttle in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the advice - I actually just went ahead and started a new Career Mode in the Williams on 55% AI with the racing line off. Done a couple of practice sessions doing a number of laps to learn the breaking zones etc. 

I'm currently half way through my first race - it does feel alot better and my awareness seems to be be more on what is going on around me and driving the car, rather than just following the line. Bahrain of course is one of the easier circuits - but as has been mentioned, doing practice sessions (rather do this than TT) in order to learn each track for 10/20 laps before going into qualification should go someway towards helping. 

I think the racing line potentially has just made me completely lose focus of racing altogether. I've enjoyed this Bahrain race without it on more than any other so far during the game. 

• Like 1

I’m absolutely horrible on the game (still) and I switched to a wheel a few months back so I understand your pain. I turned all the assists off also and here’s what I’ve found helped me adjust and get a little faster.

1. The brake pedaI: really had to spend time calibrating my brake pedal and modifying the resistance/travel to my liking and that alone made a huge difference.

2. Knowing the breaking zone: I tuned off the racing line and what I did was watched YouTube setup clips of each track because most content creators do a lap breakdown that covers breaking zones with their setup and give great tips that really help.

3. Dial back the AI and focus on having fun: I had to go from 90+ AI on a controller to 70 and just accepted the setback and focused on enjoying the journey back to 90 AI instead of being frustrated and discouraged. I also race in a league where I get my ass kicked every week and thats helped me learn to have fun while getting faster. 

Edited by Theseus
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Looks like there are two things you need to put some work on: relying less on the racing line or ditching it all for good, and keep an eye on your frustration levels.

It would be easier if you had on-track references for when to break, when to turn in, etc. The best thing though, you already have plenty at your disposal. 

• The kerbing is a great reference for turns. You know how you brake on the outside, turn in and touch the inside of the track and exit on the outside?
  • The marker boards at the side of the track, indicating the distance to the apex. Those usually are our first references, even when discussing online – "brake at the 50 marker", "brake slightly after the 100 marker".

So when you're out there using the racing line assist, put some effort into finding on-track references for the braking, turn in, apexes and corner exits. 

There's one single best advice I got to grow out of the racing line that got sorely neglected, to my regret. Look ahead. There's plenty of videos on the subject on Youtube, and Scott Mansell from Driver61 even dabbed on it at least twice, but the quick rundown would be look where you want to go, not where you're going. That's the immediate thing you should be doing with your vision, though; a good stretch of the time you should be looking way ahead on the track so that the line will gradually turn into an unconscious thing instead of a goal you actively work towards to. 

Say you're on a long straight. Spot your braking zone 2+ seconds ahead, point your car there, then look at the apex while you approach the corner. You should the braking mark with your peripheral vision while focused on the apex. When you steer your car to the apex, now fix your sight on the corner exit, that point where you'll lick the kerbs on the far side of the track.

Rinse and repeat. So it's always: Braking zone ➭ entry ➭ apex ➭ exit ➭ braking zone.

Now regarding the frustration, don't overlook it. Turning off the assist abruptly will definitely feel like being a complete novice again if you didn't work on your references. If you could work things simultaneously, as in using the racing line while (1) learning on-track references and (2) training to look ahead, I think that would be ideal. 

The game even offers settings to make the racing line less intrusive. You could set one of the color blind accessibility options, if I'm not mistaken the last one turns the racing line a faded gray. There's also the option to turn the assist on for corners only. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to How to get faster in F1 2021?

Thanks all for the advice and tips again - I think where I went completely wrong was not persisting with learning different circuits without the racing line, it's really hampered me to a point that i'm just following the line with zero focus on what is ahead and around me.

Since turning off the racing line yesterday I genuinely enjoyed re-learning Bahrain and racing - I actually wish I done a 50% race as with every lap I felt that I was getting more and more used to the track. 

I started to learn Portimao was going well but had to get back to work - will go back to it today and see how I get on.

I appreciate the advice on Time Trial mode being a better place to get quicker, and agree that is likely the case. But for me personally, to learn each circuit without the racing line in a career mode is more enjoyable for now. 

• Like 1

@CFCJDSW6 should also have pointed out that we don't crash that often on real life because we have braking lights. Remove them and suddenly even going out to pick up your groceries becomes risky business. Saying this because of this bit:

On 9/22/2021 at 7:26 AM, CFCJDSW6 said:

- I literally cannot turn flashbacks off, and cannot stop crashing into the back of the AI, despite all my efforts. One example - today i've literally re-started my race from 4th on the Grid in Baku a good 40 times, I cannot get through the first corner without crashing into the AI. This had lead to me, for the second day in a row, packing up the rig and turning the game off. 

No racing driver relies on their "sense" of the car directly ahead slowing down to hit on the brakes. If they're at your side then sure, you'll instantly know they're braking, but when chasing you gotta estimate what their braking point is going to be by feeling the speed you're in, your knowledge of the track and your racetrack.

A lot of good advice on here. Just wanted to add that I turned off the line a couple of months ago. It was the last of the assist that I turned off. I use kerbs, brake boards, the black boxes, cranes and feel for my braking points. Whenever I start learning a track I use flash backs on every corner until I know my approximate brake points. I usually did this in FP1 of career mode so once I think I am ready, I restart the session and just keep doing laps until I’m able to do about 20-25 laps in a row without crashing (this can take a while for me). Once I’m confident, I restart the session again and play for real. This has worked pretty well for me. I’m not the fastest or anything but just doing laps and races over and over really help and slowly getting a tiny bit faster. You will see the difference when you just keep putting in the laps. Cheers

Forgot to mention I also watch track guides from you tubers to get a starting point and @PJTierney is one of the best and I would suggest to watch his track guide. Just learned France with the help of his guide.

Edited by qn999
  • Like 2
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 11:26 AM, CFCJDSW6 said:

6 months ago I moved to a wheel and turned nearly all assists off thanks to the help of people on this forum! Pretty much all assists are off but I just didn't have the patience for taking off the line for corners, which in hindsight I really should have done. 

Unfortunately, i'm back because i'm now at the brink of giving up with this game. Since moving onto a wheel i've really not improved, at all.

- I'm stuck at playing on 75% AI at my best tracks and even lower at some of the others. I used to play on higher difficulty with a controller. 

When I watch others enjoy the game, i'm extremely jealous, as it has so much potential, but more me I feel i'm at the end of my tether. I could put all the assists back on, but after putting in days and days of playing this, that'll take the fun out of it.

I really don't get where I am going so wrong. 

I haven't seen it mentioned above in any responses , if it has been then pardon the protrusion ....  but if you are not left foot braking then you should be doing this  because it will speed up your response to other cars that are slowing down ..........you need to find space into the first corner at the start either by cutting in on the inside or going the long way round on the outside , this depends of course on which side of the track that you end up on the grid at the start ..... remember that you can put 2 wheels off the track over the line to gain more space . The Ai usually follow the line from left of the track and move to the right for the Apex of the corner (Or visa versa , on a left hander ), this pattern means that you can mainly get over to the inside and shoot down the inside of them while they slow down then dab the brake with your left foot at the exact same time as lifting off the throttle with the right foot and slot into a gap then keep as far right/left as you can to give the Ai room to operate without hitting you and then accelerate away and slot in somewhere when you can . The main thing is to be patient and wait for space to manoeuvre.

Braking does not just involve the brake it involves  backing off the throttle , lift your foot completely off the throttle during the braking in such close quarter battles for position and let the car coast along under braking and also drag the brake in anticipation of any braking into a corner as this heats the brake up and makes it brake faster ......cold brakes don't stop as quickly or as predictably. Anticipate what is going to happen and start dragging the brake a little with your left foot at the slightest hint that the car in front may suddenly slow , or keep back and give more room between you and other cars while in a corner and attack them when you exit the corner by rapidly accelerating and short shifting while pushing the ERS deployment button .

Your brake must be set up so that it does not snatch and lock up easily , it must be sharp but progressive in operation it should only lock up a wheel at the end of its stroke ,   this is why I originally suggested last year that your brake pedal needs to have a short throw of only 10mm or such so that you can easily control it during its movement and know when you are going to hit the lock up point. If your brakes are poorly set up when you touch the pedal it wont brake and slow the car it will just lock a wheel and slide/ skate into the car that is in front of you.

Just an add on while talking about braking (Slowing the car) .....you can use DRS wing to help slow the car as well as the brakes by pushing the DRS button at the end of an activation zone before you apply the brakes , for example at the 150 marker press the DRS button and it will close the wing and the drag caused will start to slow the car before you apply the brakes at the 100 75 or 50 board.

You can use the brakes for more than slowing the car down ......for example if you are losing traction out of a corner under acceleration a bit of left foot dragging of the brake can stop things getting out of control before the car ends up fishtailing and you end up spinning wildly into a barrier or off the track , another is lightly dragging the brake in a corner on a front bias brake set up so as to add bite to the tyres by pushing weight onto them while cornering , this is where left foot braking is the best option as it means you can apply the brakes even when you have the throttle open and therefore adjust the way the car handles.

Good luck and remember the being patient bit which is key to less crashing .

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1