Jump to content Jump to content

How to get faster in F1 2021?


Recommended Posts

I’ve always found with racing lines in all games you need to just be on the outside off it when coming into your braking zone and at your turn point.... and turn just inside it as you corner...  Never follow it religiously... As been said it’s more off a guide rather than the optimal line to follow... And as been said it’s more useful as a guide for your cornering speed.  And learning a new track...  And lastly as above poster says... Ai will follow the racing line... so far inside or outside into the first corner is the best option.... Baku fist corner is actually a good first corner for a lunge down the inside.. I use controller so by default I left finger(foot) brake... if you’ve tried 40 times.... 10 more wont hurt getting used to using your left foot like @Exasperated suggests.  Or you can attempt toe and heel like a rally driver🤘

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of an update - I've completed Bahrain, Portimao and Baku now, each of them i've done quite alot of practice to learn each track and then a 50% race. Just started Canada, very easy one to learn for me, only took a few laps. 

Patience is absolutely key, but it wasn't a lack of patience that was the reason for me crashing, it was the fact that I wasn't really aware of my surroundings, I was focusing on the Dynamic Line. If a driver was infront of me, I wouldn't know my breaking zone, as they'd be covering the line that I use to identify it. By learning the first 3 tracks in my new career, i've found myself alot more aware of what is going on around me, it also feels alot more rewarding not just following a racing line. 

I'm doing my career in a Williams at the moment - I did put it down to 60% AI, but this was too low as I could easily have won all of the first three races. I've put this up to 70 now, so hopefully a bit more of a challenge whilst I learn each track at the same time. 

 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, delange93 said:

do you have a video of you driving? I would be happy to give you some tips/tricks 🙂

 

Absolutely - I'll spend a bit more time using my new method and see where I get and then i'll look at uploading a video! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Bit of an update - I've completed Bahrain, Portimao and Baku now, each of them i've done quite alot of practice to learn each track and then a 50% race. Just started Canada, very easy one to learn for me, only took a few laps. 

Patience is absolutely key, but it wasn't a lack of patience that was the reason for me crashing, it was the fact that I wasn't really aware of my surroundings, I was focusing on the Dynamic Line. If a driver was infront of me, I wouldn't know my breaking zone, as they'd be covering the line that I use to identify it. By learning the first 3 tracks in my new career, i've found myself alot more aware of what is going on around me, it also feels alot more rewarding not just following a racing line. 

I'm doing my career in a Williams at the moment - I did put it down to 60% AI, but this was too low as I could easily have won all of the first three races. I've put this up to 70 now, so hopefully a bit more of a challenge whilst I learn each track at the same time. 

 

 

Absolutely - I'll spend a bit more time using my new method and see where I get and then i'll look at uploading a video! 

Sorry about that misunderstanding about your situation with the braking problem  , I didn't quite understand your problem which is of course being caused by you not turning off the track training wheel arrows. As long as you are using that to decide when to brake then of course you will crash into the back of other cars. I just assumed after all this time that you had made the switch to really having turned all the assists off, my mistake sorry about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Sorry about that misunderstanding about your situation with the braking problem  , I didn't quite understand your problem which is of course being caused by you not turning off the track training wheel arrows. As long as you are using that to decide when to brake then of course you will crash into the back of other cars. I just assumed after all this time that you had made the switch to really having turned all the assists off, my mistake sorry about that.

No problem - I did initially turn that assist off, but got inpatient when I got the new game and turned it on, stupidly! It's off now, not coming back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey All - Update for you. 

 

I'm on race 7, which in my career is Silverstone. I've got much better at avoiding accidents now and feel i've certainly turned a corner in that respect. I'm now playing at 80% AI in a Williams and am qualifying and finishing around where I would expect in that car.

One issue I do seem to have, which slows me down, is difficulty with the steering. It just feels really heavy and can be a struggle even in corners which aren't exactly tight. One example for me is at Copse - it is not possible to take this full throttle in 8th gear for me without taking it extremely wide on the exit, even if i'm taking the wheel full lock and nailing the timing, it just will not happen for me. I've always played with the Steering Saturation at 50 - as this isn't a new problem for me, any tips on this. (G29 wheel)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, it took me almost 8 months to be consistent at the wheel, without assistance, I know how frustrating it is but keep training and soon everything will work out. Although I find the force feedback of this game depressing compared to the control (that you have brake and traction vibration), while the steering wheel has lane, zebra and off-track vibration. The main thing is missing, which is the traction vibration (I think this is ridiculous). I saw that above gave good tips on how to run without a line, after a while you start to brake by instinct, I usually look at the apex of the curve and it works. good luck, it'll all work out. English is not my natural language, I hope you can understand the text 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2021 at 7:23 AM, CFCJDSW6 said:

 I've always played with the Steering Saturation at 50 - as this isn't a new problem for me, any tips on this. (G29 wheel)

I think your the 1st player I've heard of that uses saturation. Most people change the the middle one that starts with L (I cant remember how to spell it)

Interested in why you change saturation....just curious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoSuarez99 said:

I think I’ll start racing without the dynamic racing line and see how good I do

You won’t regret it in my opinion. It’s rewarding once you get there. If you’re like me it will take some time and it can be frustrating at first but stick with it and don’t give up. I didn’t think I could do it and it wasn’t easy. Once you start getting the feel for it you’ll continue to get better and better. I’m able to drive all tracks now without the line except Monaco (I’m a pinball around Monaco) and Portimao. I’m still slower than I was with the line but I’m getting better and a bit faster every time I see the tracks again. I also went from tcam to cockpit around the same time which made it more difficult for me (I probably  should have switched to cockpit first, get comfortable and then turn off the line, or the other way around). Anyway, good luck to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, Badmayhem said:

I think your the 1st player I've heard of that uses saturation. Most people change the the middle one that starts with L (I cant remember how to spell it)

Interested in why you change saturation....just curious. 

Because I feel that the wheel doesn't turn enough for me to go around tight corners? So for example, my saturation is at 50, so it should in theory require half the wheel rotation. 

Even with this, the steering still feels heavy and the car just doesn't seem to turn in when I want, it's weird. 

Settings below - struggling at Zandvoort

 

IMG_2311.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Because I feel that the wheel doesn't turn enough for me to go around tight corners? So for example, my saturation is at 50, so it should in theory require half the wheel rotation. 

Even with this, the steering still feels heavy and the car just doesn't seem to turn in when I want, it's weird. 

Settings below - struggling at Zandvoort

 

IMG_2311.JPG

What is your wheel rotation set at? I would also check to see if steering assist has been turned on by accident. Also how high is your FFB?

You should be twitching all over the place with your saturation set that high not have a heavy wheel feeling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Because I feel that the wheel doesn't turn enough for me to go around tight corners? So for example, my saturation is at 50, so it should in theory require half the wheel rotation. 

Even with this, the steering still feels heavy and the car just doesn't seem to turn in when I want, it's weird. 

Settings below - struggling at Zandvoort

 

IMG_2311.JPG

No Brake dead zone , that's an odd one. Badmayhem has a good point about what your wheel rotation is set at , try it set at 270 degrees if your wheel will accept that as an input ....if its a TM T300 it will ,  if its a Logitech G29 then you need to set the wheel rotation in the G-hub menu or whatever it is called . In my extremely limited experience driving in TV camera view it feels weird with 360degrees and works great at 270degrees which is what I think pad users set it at .....if that's wrong sorry but I wouldn't have a clue I never played F1 games with a pad so I wouldn't know.

With most of your settings being at zero your driving problems may be being amplified by a poor set up that works against you instead of making it easier to drive?

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Exasperated said:

No Brake dead zone , that's an odd one. Badmayhem has a good point about what your wheel rotation is set at , try it set at 270 degrees if your wheel will accept that as an input ....if its a TM T300 it will ,  if its a Logitech G29 then you need to set the wheel rotation in the G-hub menu or whatever it is called . In my extremely limited experience driving in TV camera view it feels weird with 360degrees and works great at 270degrees which is what I think pad users set it at .....if that's wrong sorry but I wouldn't have a clue I never played F1 games with a pad so I wouldn't know.

With most of your settings being at zero your driving problems may be being amplified by a poor set up that works against you instead of making it easier to drive?

If your car isn't turning in IE it has understeer then try setting your Aero  at 11 front 6 rear just to give you a feeling of how more wing on the front less at the rear helps turn in and then knock it off a bit if you are at a track like .Monza (high speed set up)  etc  to cut back on drag.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a g920 and when i first started playing f1 i couldnt figure out why i had such trouble going around tight corners. I tried the same as you messing with the wheel rotation. it didn't work.

what you need to do is go with a 360 degree rotation, set your saturation back to zero or close to it.

The 2 differential settings that make a huge difference in cornering are off-throttle differential and on-throttle differential.

google these and you will figure out why they are so important to car performance

if you unlock your off-throttle differential the inside wheel is enabled to spin at a lower rate, decreasing the radius of your curve and helping you to rotate the car tighter.

I found that using trl-limitless's settings are a great starting point for good track setups. there are a few of his that don't work for me but most of them are great. you can find his setups on youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClm-9W9f6CoiHJuX3mnMRyQ

another great way to test setup is use the one from others in time trial, test them out and make them your own

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dp63 has given good advice as this is very important part of car set up , on a more simple point a poster last year put a video of his driving in corners up on the forum to ask why he wasn't able to go round a corner , basically the problem was that he was trying to drive like real drivers do in real life F1 and its virtually pardon the pun impossible to do it in the game because the game does not provide the same amount of grip for an in game car so diving very deeply  into a corner while rapidly down changing 3 gears in a window of 1.25 seconds while braking from 175 mph to 40mph in 2 seconds    to get the car to have a straighter exit path and therefore less chance of spinning out while exiting doesn't work under normal game settings . Basically in game you have to slow down more gradually than is possible in real life in order that you actually manage to stay on the track and are able to exit the corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Exasperated said:

No Brake dead zone , that's an odd one. Badmayhem has a good point about what your wheel rotation is set at , try it set at 270 degrees if your wheel will accept that as an input ....if its a TM T300 it will ,  if its a Logitech G29 then you need to set the wheel rotation in the G-hub menu or whatever it is called . In my extremely limited experience driving in TV camera view it feels weird with 360degrees and works great at 270degrees which is what I think pad users set it at .....if that's wrong sorry but I wouldn't have a clue I never played F1 games with a pad so I wouldn't know.

With most of your settings being at zero your driving problems may be being amplified by a poor set up that works against you instead of making it easier to drive?

 

After you talked about the G hub i seem to remember Logitech wheels defaut to 900 degrees rotation and you have to set to 360 so your 1 to 1 with the game then you can adjust in game iirc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all - Below are further settings. 

I never really go into the car set-up to be honest, i've been focused on using the defaults as I just try and get used to playing without assists and thought that looking into details such as car set-up would be more beneficial once i've mastered getting around the track in one piece, but completely understand this may be completely wrong.

I went for the default minimum downforce set-up at Monza, which may not have helped to be honest.

*I have found out why I struggled so much at Zandvoort though, I moved to Mercedes and didn't realise that most of the components were 99% worn, which explains something* 😅

IMG_2324.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, CFCJDSW6 said:

Seem to force it too much with flashbacks - so better to turn it off and take your time. 

Which brings me to this point - I'm not being inpatient, I just genuinely can't tell when the car infront is slowing down and am unable to slow the car in time. I'm not going for overtakes - this is just going into any corner. 

I think the route cause may be not knowing breaking zones and relying on the 3D line. 

Sounds to me your difficulty is too low . Hence rear ending the cars in front . I have to lower my difficulty on  off tracks . And just for the sake off one or 2 corners in the tracks that I can't take like the A1 . And loose too much time . So end up lowering the difficulty . To make up for the tine lost in that 1 corner . What j do at start is once pulled away once get close to the corner . Freewheel the car just before breaking zone . Makes it easier   at worst you will loose a position or 2 . But should be able to get  them back up . I feel your pain with them flashbacks rhow . I'must off used over 40 yesterday at Belgian go . Thanks to the car spinning out all the time . Going threw the double right hander . Taking the long straight . To final chicane . All threw practice and quali didn't have a single issues with it then from first lap off race . The car just constantly span . Got to lap 9 them I got told to park the car for mechanical failure . I was over the moon when the car died on is . As having to use 2 to 3 flashbacks every single lap . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...