Jump to content Jump to content

Front Suspension- Soft or Hard

Most setups I see online have a very soft front suspension setting.  Some videos claim this makes it easy to ride curbs.

I wanted to test this at Spa by repeating P1 using soft tires, no ERS for consistency, and with a variety suspension settings.  I settled on a 8 (front) 5 (rear) setting.  Compared to softer front suspension setups, this was much more stable throughout the lap.  I was able to get through Au Rouge and T15 flat out as long as I took a good line.

This seems to match my understanding of weight transfer.  When braking, I don’t want too much weight transfer forward since that unloads the rear and forces all braking to be done through the front.  At the same time, a softer rear gives weight transfer that will aid in acceleration as long as I balance understear on corner exit (fronts are unloaded so will/did experience understear).

My question is, am I missing something? How are all the posted online setups I find using the opposite settings and not impacting performance in the way I would expect?  What do others use?

As a side note, this was done in a season 1 MyTeam car with very few upgrades.  Chassis is worst in the field, aero is bottom 5, and powertrain is 3rd.