Jump to content Jump to content

PS5 & F1 2021 - Advice needed

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from those who are playing F1 2021 on PS5. I’m currently playing this on PS4.

I understand that you can play the game on the PS5 in two versions; PS5 and PS4.

My question is what differences are there between the two versions on the PS5 platform. I remember reading somewhere that voice commands don’t work on the PS5 version, but do in the PS4 version, for example. Are there any other things like this I should be aware of? I imagine there are other benefits (like graphics) of having the PS5 version - is anyone able to provide a rough breakdown of functionality of each / pros, cons etc? What functionally missing on the PS5 version vs the PS4 version and vice versa?

I’m trying to figure out which of the two versions I should run when I get my PS5. I will also has a 4K 120hz tv soon to factor into this, although I don’t currently. And I also play on a wheel (fanatec formula v2) - all the buttons etc work on the F1 2021 game I have on my PS4.

Any help is greatly appreciated 🖖🏽

Edited by Monzie83
30 minutes ago, DutchRacer87 said:

Graphics is slightly more sharper and I think the PS5 will have less pop ups of buildings and trees when you’re racing.

By “pop ups”, do you mean the environmental detail of the track is less on the PS5 version than on the PS4 version?

I know you use wheel. But controller with the triggers is awesome once you get used to it.

120framerate is ok not mind blowingly obvious.  Game offline seems to be far more stable compared to pc and Xbox.   

Tbh I hadn’t even thought off downloading the PS4 version.  But I’m pretty sure you would be able to tell the versions apart.

Most developers take a year or so before they release games using new gen consoles full potential 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

By “pop ups”, do you mean the environmental detail of the track is less on the PS5 version than on the PS4 version?

No, I mean buildings and trees literally ‘popping up’ in the distance when you enter a certain part of the track. PS5 is more powerful, so all the textures will already be loaded when racing, so no scenery ‘popping up’ , whereas the PS4 is less poweful. On PS4 you can see pop ups on tracks with a lot of scenery like Melbourne or Monaco.

• Thanks 1

As a player on PS4 Pro I've not noticed any pop in while racing, Even down the main straight at Monza you can still see all the trees and other trackside details down past the first chicane.

If there is pop-in, it's minimal and I have to admire those able to look that closely while driving to notice it, wheras it is often obvious on other racing games but doesn't take away the enjoyment for me personally. 

As you said in OP you play on PS4 now, so you know it looks great 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
24 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

As a player on PS4 Pro I've not noticed any pop in while racing, Even down the main straight at Monza you can still see all the trees and other trackside details down past the first chicane.

If there is pop-in, it's minimal and I have to admire those able to look that closely while driving to notice it, wheras it is often obvious on other racing games but doesn't take away the enjoyment for me personally. 

As you said in OP you play on PS4 now, so you know it looks great 👍

Wanted to disagree 😁

But your right... But lots disagree with me and the fact my main concern is gameplay than far off scenery.  I’ve never even noticed popping before.  

3 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Wanted to disagree 😁

But your right... But lots disagree with me and the fact my main concern is gameplay than far off scenery.  I’ve never even noticed popping before.  

I know we've played a lot of the same games over the years so the track being built right before our eyes is something we probably overlook as it's just how it was with the tech that was available.

I do think it helps me appreciate when a game genuinely looks good though, and F1 looks good. 

I always wonder how those who complain the the Aston Martin gloves are not 100% accurate would have coped with games of the past, with F1 games that didn't even have real drivers and tracks were sketchy at best. 

• Agree 2

I've only played the PS5 version but based on comparison to running the PS4 version of F1 2020 on my PS5 I'd say the single biggest difference you'd notice would be the much faster load times. This really does make the whole experience feel much slicker. I also use the 120 Hz mode but whilst it is better I wouldn't personally sell it as a huge difference.

Are you aware that you won't be able to transfer your PS4 save game file to the PS5 game?

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Wanted to disagree 😁

I know you're a big fan of Championship Edition and you'll know that game was released in 2007, but still presented the 2006 season. 

I often wonder if CM did something like that, they'd have to shut down the forums and board up the offices. 

There'd be riots in the (virtual) streets

Edited by KNT2011
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, KNT2011 said:

I know we've played a lot of the same games over the years so the track being built right before our eyes is something we probably overlook as it's just how it was with the tech that was available.

I do think it helps me appreciate when a game genuinely looks good though, and F1 looks good. 

I always wonder how those who complain the the Aston Martin gloves are not 100% accurate would have coped with games of the past, with F1 games that didn't even have real drivers and tracks were sketchy at best. 

Pole position.,,, outrun groundbreaking graphics 👍🏻

9 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

My question is what differences are there between the two versions on the PS5 platform. 

You can install both versions (if your want to use the space) and play either, but setups, wheel config, etc will be separate. Voice control and OSD customization is only on the PS4 version. Only one graphics level on PS4 version but it looks similar to the PS5 performance setting. PS5 detail setting is noticeably nicer looking. That said there are graphics bugs in the PS5 version not in PS4, such as no ghosts in PS5 TT replays and other minor things. PS4 performance would be a bit less as its emulated, but load times are similar either way. Load them both up and see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
13 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

I had a PS4 slim where buildings and trees didn’t pop up on 2021, but you could see finer details like on-track shadows being rendered as you went along. I’m now on a PS4 pro, and like you have not seen that happening. I expect this won’t be an issue on either PS4 or PS5 version when run on the PS5.

13 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Are you aware that you won't be able to transfer your PS4 save game file to the PS5 game?

👍🏽 - Wasn’t aware of this, and something I will factor in.

9 hours ago, Neilrs60 said:

You can install both versions (if your want to use the space) and play either, but setups, wheel config, etc will be separate. Voice control and OSD customization is only on the PS4 version. Only one graphics level on PS4 version but it looks similar to the PS5 performance setting. PS5 detail setting is noticeably nicer looking. That said there are graphics bugs in the PS5 version not in PS4, such as no ghosts in PS5 TT replays and other minor things. PS4 performance would be a bit less as its emulated, but load times are similar either way. Load them both up and see.

👍🏽 - Didn’t know you could have both, will give it a shot. TBH, it sounds like the PS4 version has less issues, and voice commands are a big thing for me, as well as my current save game not transferring over; if the upside of the PS5 version is better graphics, I might forgo the PS5 version because of these. I also seem to remember reading somewhere there is a helmet audio option on the PS5 version?

Didn’t know you could have both, will give it a shot. TBH, it sounds like the PS4 version has less issues, and voice commands are a big thing for me, as well as my current save game not transferring over; if the upside of the PS5 version is better graphics, I might forgo the PS5 version because of these. I also seem to remember reading somewhere there is a helmet audio option on the PS5 version?

I didn't know too and I'm running the PS4 version just because of voice commands. I didn't compare the graphics with PS5 version but it looks quite good, similar to F1 2020 actually. Besides my wheel is Fanatec F1 Esports, so less buttons than yours, working as expected.

Regards,
Nuv

16 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Meaning that is possible to transfer from PS4 to PS5 (PS4 version) but not from PS4 to PS5 (PS5 version), right?
Thank you 😊

5 hours ago, Nuvolarix said:

I didn't know too and I'm running the PS4 version just because of voice commands. I didn't compare the graphics with PS5 version but it looks quite good, similar to F1 2020 actually. Besides my wheel is Fanatec F1 Esports, so less buttons than yours, working as expected.

Regards,
Nuv

Cheers Nuv, I’ve downloaded both versions and have just given the PS4 version a go. Everything on the wheel works and the game runs nicely as expected. Downloaded my save game so it was nice and easy. I will give the PS5 version a go later. I think the voice commands  are a big deal breaker for me on the PS5 version, it’s confusing why it’s not supported - hopefully they can figure it out soon. When I get my new tv, I’m sure I’ll benefit from lower input lag and 4K 120hz - I’m not too fussed about graphics, but let’s see when I experiment with the PS5 version once I have the tv. Will note down any other differences I find.

Edited by Monzie83
5 hours ago, Nuvolarix said:

Meaning that is possible to transfer from PS4 to PS5 (PS4 version) but not from PS4 to PS5 (PS5 version), right?
Thank you 😊

Yep that’s right. The PS5 version is like a new game so nothing transfers over. If you are using the cloud to store your save games, you can go into the game options in the PS5 Home Screen and download the save game for the PS4 version. There was nothing there when I did the same for the PS5 version.

• Thanks 1
On 9/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, ScaredDuck said:

I know you use wheel. But controller with the triggers is awesome once you get used to it.

@ScaredDuck, I remember a while ago you mentioned on another post where you went to change these settings - Specifically what you changed. Could you provide a link to that post?

@ScaredDuck, I remember a while ago you mentioned on another post where you went to change these settings - Specifically what you changed. Could you provide a link to that post?

Triggers on strong then linearity for brake and throttle 50%. Brake linearity is not so important.  But without it your brake trigger won’t have much travel

ive changed ffb to match Barry’s in Barry’s basics thread which is where the patch update notes are

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

Cheers Nuv, I’ve downloaded both versions and have just given the PS4 version a go. Everything on the wheel works and the game runs nicely as expected. Downloaded my save game so it was nice and easy. I will give the PS5 version a go later. I think the voice commands  are a big deal breaker for me on the PS5 version, it’s confusing why it’s not supported - hopefully they can figure it out soon. When I get my new tv, I’m sure I’ll benefit from lower input lag and 4K 120hz - I’m not too fussed about graphics, but let’s see when I experiment with the PS5 version once I have the tv. Will note down any other differences I find.

Hi, yes voice commands is too important a feature for me as well, I have never even tried the PS5 version for this reason and I hope it can be fixed too, at least for F1 2022.
On the other hand, as you say, 120hz mode... I use a monitor and perhaps the times are not yet ripe (at least at decent prices) but I'm curious to know your opinion regarding the comparison with the current 60hz when you get the new tv ☺️ ... I will have to make some choices for the future too, even if I would definitely exclude for F1 2021.

Thank you and regards,
Nuv

12 hours ago, Nuvolarix said:

but I'm curious to know your opinion regarding the comparison with the current 60hz when you get the new tv ☺️

It won’t be a direct comparison because current tv is 1080 60hz, new tv will be 4K 120hz 😎. Will let you know though. Might be some way away still - have seen the tv I want with good input lag and hardly any motion blur, but it’s too expensive for me at the moment…

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

It won’t be a direct comparison because current tv is 1080 60hz, new tv will be 4K 120hz

Just so your aware the resolution is dialled back to 1440p if you want 120hz. The drop in resolution is worth the extra frames in my opinion.

Edited by Jobling1983
  • Thanks 1
On 10/1/2021 at 8:30 AM, Jobling1983 said:

Just so your aware the resolution is dialled back to 1440p if you want 120hz. The drop in resolution is worth the extra frames in my opinion.

Good to know. Does this apply to the PS4 version or the game or the PS5 version? Are there setting for this in the game? I’ve deleted the PS5 version for the moment until I get my new TV (hopefully next week), so will download then. 

Good to know. Does this apply to the PS4 version or the game or the PS5 version? Are there setting for this in the game? I’ve deleted the PS5 version for the moment until I get my new TV (hopefully next week), so will download then. 

This applies to the PS5 version. I dont actually have one so can’t tell you the settings that need changing (I’m on PC). I think you need to change the game to performance mode, you also need to change some settings in the ps5. 

i know @ScaredDuckuses this mode, he  could point you in the right direction? 

• Thanks 1