Jump to content Jump to content

Racing Line - corners only

So this is the last assist I am still using.  I think I know all of the tracks well enough to turn it off, honestly during races I don't even look at it.   That said, would like to hear anyone's experience after they turned it off completely.  In a weird way I think it could make me faster in TT as I'm not beholden to the magic line... appreciate the thoughts.

7 minutes ago, SLR MattJXN said:

In a weird way I think it could make me faster in TT as I'm not beholden to the magic line... appreciate the thoughts.

Not weird at all. Braking points, turn in points and apexes become all second nature to us with time. They actively become elements we're processing in the background of our minds. Even when you think in the foreground that you should be taking the inside line or a late apex in a specific corner for whatever reason, those markers will most likely be adjusted in the background.

For thinking that you're probably feeling that you can achieve faster times by actively "overriding" your instinct of going by the racing line markers in favor of the ones you feel could be faster. It just so happens that it's costly to try to suppress things we do without thought as it takes a constant and conscious effort from your part.

Haha all this rambling just to say that your feeling makes sense. Get your on-track markers right, try to consciously focus on them for a handful of laps, and hopefully they get so ingrained within you that when you turn off the assist completely it will be a breeze. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
16 minutes ago, marioho said:

Get your on-track markers right, try to consciously focus on them for a handful of laps, and hopefully they get so ingrained within you that when you turn off the assist completely it will be a breeze. 

Yeah this is just to +1 on this

Do a couple of laps with the line still on, notice your usual braking points, what's around? Is there a brake marker board next to you? Does a Kerb start or end? Is there an exit road or other trackside detail like a marshals box? Make a mental note of it and that's your braking point when the line goes off. 

You will find time, as you can then start to push the limits on those braking zones without a giant red light scaring you off. 

You will likely feel the track open up as well, sometimes the line isn't the right line for you or your driving style, you can go wider, or narrower, and find time based on a different braking point that's more comfortable for the way you drive the car. 

The racing line can be another tool or it can end up being a crutch, once it feels like you're being limited, to continue with it is to miss out on so much circuit racing has to offer. 

Edited by KNT2011
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, marioho said:

Not weird at all. Braking points, turn in points and apexes become all second nature to us with time. They actively become elements we're processing in the background of our minds. Even when you think in the foreground that you should be taking the inside line or a late apex in a specific corner for whatever reason, those markers will most likely be adjusted in the background.

For thinking that you're probably feeling that you can achieve faster times by actively "overriding" your instinct of going by the racing line markers in favor of the ones you feel could be faster. It just so happens that it's costly to try to suppress things we do without thought as it takes a constant and conscious effort from your part.

Haha all this rambling just to say that your feeling makes sense. Get your on-track markers right, try to consciously focus on them for a handful of laps, and hopefully they get so ingrained within you that when you turn off the assist completely it will be a breeze. 

I totally get what your saying.  Thank you for the insightful feedback.  We will see how it goes...

• Like 1

Great advice from marioho and knt2011. I turned off the line a couple of months ago and have learned all tracks except Portimao. I did basically what marioho said with having the line on and doing multiple laps and making mental notes of my brake points. I use brake boards, black boxes, cranes, signs, kerbs and feel on corners where I can’t really find anything else to use. I also use flash backs on each corner until I’m confident. It then takes me about 20-25 laps to be really comfortable the first time I’ve learned a track. Next time I’m back at a circuit it does take a little bit of time to remember my brake points (really need to just write them down or something) but I’ll be good within about 10 minutes. I still try and do 20+ clean laps before I actually start the race weekend (use restart session in practice until I’m ready). I think I’m close to my times with the racing line but I don’t really keep track of that and recently switched to cockpit so I’m still learning that too but I think I’m pretty close to where I was in tcam/racing line. It does become 2nd nature like turning off assists and the more you practice the better you will get. For me, it’s really rewarding to be able to drive with no line or assists and I’m glad I did it. If I can get there, you will get there. Good luck.

Forgot to mention I watched track guides and PJtierney on here has great guides and I recommend you check them out.

Edited by qn999
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I echo the comments above. I turned off racing line in one go rather than go for corners only. Agree with @KNT2011 - keep it on and notice what’s around and as soon as you have your braking/ turning points down, my advice would be to turn it off and keep it off. Smash through loads of laps on TT. What I realised was I still had to put in the time to “re-learn” the tracks a bit - because even though I wasn’t looking at the racing line, I was still using it to some degree through my peripheral vision. I actually went though this process on 2020, so don’t have to re-learn old tracks although there is still a bedding in process to get up to speed on 2021. It’s now my go-to method when there’s a new track. Watching hotlap videos and @PJTierney’s track guides is also helpful. Overall, I did find it helps with laptimes - not being chained to the line opened up more possibilities and is actually freeing in a way.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 2