Jump to content Jump to content

Qatar Circuit

@PJTierney its not that I want to critizise the closing of that thread - but if I am not mistaken, then F1 group has announced today, that the Qatar Circuit will not only be driven this year as a replacement for Australia, but also that Qatar will get a 10 years (!) contract participating in the upcoming annual F1 championships. That said, it looks like the Qatar Circuit has to be on the agenda for the 2022 iteration of the game, and under that aspect the OP question was perfectly valid - even though he phrased it with a twist of irony. If the 10 year part was true, developers better start early to train AI on that circuit, or else we will end up with the same situation of several tracks being released too late like this year. Dont you think?

Edit - see here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-qatar-to-join-f1-calendar-in-2021-as-country-signs-additional-10.50lbiJcZfoo6udNWZMDAn6.html

Edited by Schneehase
12 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

@PJTierney its not that I want to critizise the closing of that thread - but if I am not mistaken, then F1 group has announced today, that the Qatar Circuit will not only be driven this year as a replacement for Australia, but also that Qatar will get a 10 years (!) contract participating in the upcoming annual F1 championships. That said, it looks like the Qatar Circuit has to be on the agenda for the 2022 iteration of the game, and under that aspect the OP question was perfectly valid - even though he phrased it with a twist of irony. If the 10 year part was true, developers better start early to train AI on that circuit, or else we will end up with the same situation of several tracks being released too late like this year. Dont you think?

Edit - see here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-qatar-to-join-f1-calendar-in-2021-as-country-signs-additional-10.50lbiJcZfoo6udNWZMDAn6.html

From what I’ve read they are skipping the race in 2022 as they are concentrating on the word cup. They are then possibly looking to have a street race. So the current circuit might not get used after this year. Therefore we probably wont get the track in next years game, although it’s too soon to say…

20 minutes ago, Jobling1983 said:

skipping the race in 2022 as they are concentrating on the word cup

Yup you are right, "starting from 2023" it says about the 10 years contract. Then I was mistaken about 2022 and devs have another year inbetween to set up the tracks. The better, no excuses then for coming in late in the 2023 game 😄 Also @PJTierney now I understand why you decided to close it 👍

• Social Media & Community Team

While discussing the circuit isn't a big deal, that thread started with a question, a link and a giant troll face.

I don't think a discussion was the intent of that thread 😉 

The only tracks we've communicated as coming post-launch are the ones in the pinned thread:

• Agree 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to Qatar Circuit
12 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

While discussing the circuit isn't a big deal, that thread started with a question, a link and a giant troll face.

The only tracks we've communicated as coming post-launch are the ones in the pinned thread:

Only ones we've communicated, eh?   The lexicology of that would make people think there are going to be ones coming that you haven't communicated (yet)! 😜

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Only ones we've communicated, eh?   The lexicology of that would make people think there are going to be ones coming that you haven't communicated (yet)! 😜

With that kind of sleuthing I'm surprised you're not in the DiRTy Gossip thread more often 😛 

Let me be more clear then: Don't expect Qatar/Losail in F1 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

With that kind of sleuthing I'm surprised you're not in the DiRTy Gossip thread more often 😛 

Let me be more clear then: Don't expect Qatar/Losail in F1 2021.

The phrasing here is interesting... leads me to think Turkey may be coming to F1 2021 😊

Wishful thinking maybe but it definitely seemed like deliberate wording in the last few posts... 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I can confirm discussion was not the intent. Pure satire regarding unreasonable demands. 😅

Edited by SASColfer
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

how about pinning this so people don't ask for it every other day?

Let's see if it gets to Portimao levels of chatter first, there were dozens of threads on that in July/August 😉 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

leads me to think Turkey may be coming

Its kind of overdue, sure, never was on the official calendar, but it seems with 2021 and 2022 this circuit will be driven 3 years in a row now, would be most nice to have.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Agree 3
6 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

The phrasing here is interesting... leads me to think Turkey may be coming to F1 2021 😊

Wishful thinking maybe but it definitely seemed like deliberate wording in the last few posts... 

Sorry to disappoint you but the chance Turkey will get into 2021 is about 0.001%.. They said time and time again that it wont happen, it would be amazing, but im afraid it really just wishful thinking.. If it makes it into the official calendar till end of the year it could make it into F1 2022

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Meza994 said:

Sorry to disappoint you but the chance Turkey will get into 2021 is about 0.001%.. They said time and time again that it wont happen, it would be amazing, but im afraid it really just wishful thinking.. If it makes it into the official calendar till end of the year it could make it into F1 2022

Is that really what it’s come to... “If it makes it into the official calendar it COULD make it into F1 2022”?

We need some higher expectations here and stop making excuses for CM!

• Agree 3
8 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Is that really what it’s come to... “If it makes it into the official calendar it COULD make it into F1 2022”?

Err you know how much time it takes to make a track? Iirc they stop working on F1 2021 end of the year still have a lot to do - F2, 2 Tracks, Livery update, countless bugs, adding another track to that list might just not be possible.. Im being realistic, not making excuses for them, Id love them to add Turkey as i would possibly not need to buy F1 2022 then lol but its just not gonna happen.

• Agree 1
21 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Indeed. I expect functional online modes as that is of the core of the game even though I only play offline, updated setup and telemetry systems as the ones in place are long in need of some overhaul, deeper career modes as get relatively trite after the 4th season or so, and stable performance on all platforms.

I'd hope for Turkey being added to the game but do not expect so until it turns out to be a fixed feature in the calendar instead of a band-aid.

I don't feel like that's making excuses if we're still acknowledging the shortcomings and faults of the game. Like @Meza994 pointed out, that's just being realistic. I don't expect temporary tracks to be added while having other glaring aspects not up to the industry standards. Hopes and expectations are different things and resources are limited.

• Agree 2

In theory, if EA see enough value in putting Turkey in this year's game, they could throw more money and staff at Codemasters to get it done as fast as possible. 

But I can't see it happening. 

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, Sector4 said:

In theory, if EA see enough value in putting Turkey in this year's game, they could throw more money and staff at Codemasters to get it done as fast as possible. 

Indeed, if there were surveys showing 500k people would only buy the game if Turkey would be added, even in 2022, then they would go for it.. but as is they wont think it will have any major effect on the sales so no reason for that extra work

On 10/3/2021 at 7:47 AM, Sector4 said:

Not sure what EA would have to do with it but ok. The "value" in adding the circuit will be whether it is on the confirmed 2022 calendar or not. Currently the only new circuit for 2022 is Miami. Turkey is only a possibility depending on the situation with Singapore.

• Like 1

An aspect that I see people missing with all this. Is that codemasters (and now EA), are only licensed to add the tracks in for the "offical" F1 calander as it originally stands when annouced. Codemasters (EA), wont be licensed to add in any replacements circuits, even due to the unprecedented effects of the Covid pandemic. Even if they was granted licensing to add in the short notice replacement circuits, it would still take them 6+ months to build them. And that is assuming they could travel in order to collect the relevent data needed to create the tracks. Or if could hire a "local" group to do their data gathering for them, at the quality and detail level they require. It is not just as simple as slapping a few polygons and vertices together and calling it a day. They require measurements of everything, pictures of everything. It takes time to gether, and they can only start building a track once they have that data. If they dont have that data, and rushed in order to just get the track in the game. There would be mass complaints over track inaccuracies, and quite possibly, a completely broken track.

By the time they have the replacement tracks ready to go into the current game, they would already be close to (or releasing/have released) the next years title. It is just unfeasable for them to put any resources into building those tracks.

Everything Codemasters do in regards to the cars/circuits. Is mandated by their licensing agreement with the F1 managment. It isnt just as easy as phoning up someone in order to change that, and there are a lot of hidden considurations that are taken into account that we are not privvy to. Such as shareholders opinions and voting on all sides, licensing with the tracks, licensing with the sponsers. Making sure any sponsorship abides by the local laws of any country where the game is releasing to. And so much more besides.

Some may see this as "just defending Codemasters/EA blindly". But honestly, it isnt. I just have a realistic and fair view of the situation, and have an understanding of some of the work that goes into this stuff.

I am with all of you and wish these other tracks was coming into the game. But just because we want them, doesnt mean we will get them.

I do agree that Codemasters could "push" to have some additional circuits in a future F1 game, but ultimately. It will boil down to how the shareholders feel, and how the F1 managment feel. Since the scope of the game is to give us as close a representation of F1 in video game format. Adding tracks outside of that years original calander, isnt seen as a high importance. It probably never will be.

• Agree 3
  • Administrator
On 10/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, Meza994 said:

Less than that @Meza994. Won't be happening I'm afraid.

Also, more complicated that responding to demand. There's a lot of resource that goes into any changes we make, and adding a new track in a life cycle is about the most time consuming and demanding on resource. In pre-pandemic times, a track would take typically around a year to fully create. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Less than that @Meza994. Won't be happening I'm afraid.

Also, more complicated that responding to demand. There's a lot of resource that goes into any changes we make, and adding a new track in a life cycle is about the most time consuming and demanding on resource. In pre-pandemic times, a track would take typically around a year to fully create. 

Good to have another confirmation! Just curious how it was possible to do Portimao in half a year, but i guess the surroundings of the track are not as complicated as e.g. Hanoi or Zandvoort.

I'd be curious to know if having any data for Portimao available in house from Slightly Mad Studios and Project CARS may have helped with the creation of the track in the F1 game.

I assume as they run on different engines, it would have been only limited help at best as it's not like you can just convert it 1:1, but I would be interested to know if having fundamental geographical data on it would have helped the process compared to somewhere entirely new, like Hanoi or Jeddah.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, magpieracer48 said:

Not sure what EA would have to do with it but ok.

EA owns Codemasters, they are now the ones dictating how much money Codemasters can spend and how big the size of their staff is. 

I'd say they have a lot to do with anything that Codemasters might or might not do.