Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[FEATURE] Access to Graphical settings from the Replay

A lot of us are not playing at the highest graphical settings to get the stable framerate, so in the replay right now we're often left with something that doesn't look as good as it could. Would be awesome if we could change the settings while in the replay mode to get the best possible looking screenshots when we get a really worthy run down, or simply record the replay in the full graphical glory ;)

maybe i am missing something. but if you cant run higher in game. i don't really see the point of this.... 

rødelyn said:
maybe i am missing something. but if you cant run higher in game. i don't really see the point of this.... 
If you can launch the game, you can run it on any graphical settings in over 99% of cases. However it's hard to call 5FPS a playable framerate for a rally simulator. Not an issue when watching a replay though.

So you play at low settings at 60FPS or so, and then when you watch the replay to take a screenshot, you would change the settings to Ultra. Having 5 FPS in a replay mode when you just want to take a screenshot won't matter, it will be laggy, but it all comes down to getting that moment and then hitting screenshot key. Go back to low settings, continue on.
Also, some people can run Ultra settings while staying above 30FPS threshold always, but they prefer 60 or more FPS for actual driving to be more consistent. For a replay it doesn't really matter if you record it at 30 or 60FPS, the visual quality matters most.

oki i get it.
not sure how replay mech in the game works... but if it runs clean in replay it seems replay is a record and not in game.. and maybe not possible .....

then again om not a game developer :D

rødelyn said:
oki i get it.
not sure how replay mech in the game works... but if it runs clean in replay it seems replay is a record and not in game.. and maybe not possible .....

If it would be just a video, you wouldn't be able to choose different camera angles, adjust them etc.

rødelyn said:
oki i get it.

The saved replays hold all the same data as right after the race, it still loads the 3-d environment and has the car moving through space, all the camera angles and such would still be accessible, and as such, would allow you to view it at whatever resolution/graphical setting you want.

I'm sure you figured this out, but maybe right before the finish line you can pause and up the resolution, then the replay would be full high res.

JZStudios said:
I'm sure you figured this out, but maybe right before the finish line you can pause and up the resolution, then the replay would be full high res.
Usually at that point I'm looking at the timer hoping I'll score a new PB, so in most cases I'm like "Oh ffs, forgot to pause again -_-" xD Generally speaking the ability to enter the option screen during the replay or just standings screen would be rather usable still.

It's also a handy way to do some real-use benchmarking, and more convenient than playing with the graphics while driving—you can rewind sections to compare different settings, pause and take a good look at the picture, and there's no drive-pause-fiddle-unpause-crash.