Sign in to follow this  

If you were in charge of F1...

What would be different?

Now, I know that I've made threads similar to this in the past, but with the stupid ideas like double points and the standing safety car restarts I think it's time to bring this back.

Different Rules:
  • Scrap double points
  • Scrap standing SC restarts
  • Spare cars to be brought back - with restrictions below
  • An equal share of prize money to the teams at the end of the season, but with bonuses for improvements or defending titles (sort of like the premier league)
  • Lapped cars simply drop back behind the back when under the SC to speed up restarts
  • Curfew hours reduced
  • Teams are allowed to postpone a grid penalty once for each driver during the season. This penalty however will be doubled at the following event.
  • The teams would be limited to a maximum transport weight for each race. Anything that they can't fit into that weight gets left behind (people aren't included). This is to encourage teams to stop bringing the giant transformer trucks etc to races to lower costs and save fuel
  • Teams are allowed to refuel during races, but must still stick to the 100KG limit.
Spare car rules:
  • Each team may bring 1 spare car to each race weekend to help with the reduced curfew hours in the event of a big accident
  • In the event of a normal race car being written off in a practice session, the spare car cannot be used until the next session (for example, if a driver writes off the car in FP1, he can't use the spare car until FP2)
  • If the race car is repaired during a session, the driver may take to the track again in that car provided it passes the FIA regulations
  • Any power unit components used in the spare car will count towards the driver's allocation for the season - but grid penalties will not be applied until the following race meeting
  • A driver can change cars during qualifying at any point before they leave the pit lane, but once they have been registered as having left the pit lane they must only use that single car (like the parc ferme set up rule)
  • Any driver needing to start the race in the spare car must start from the pit lane
  • In the event of a large accident within the first 2 laps of the race, the race director can red flag the race. Drivers eliminated are allowed to take to the grid in the spare car at the teams discretion
  • Apart from the circumstance above, once the formation lap begins a driver may not change cars
Testing:
  • Just as is now, there will be three four day tests before the season starts. The first will be at Jerez, with the second and third taking place at the same track (which will be decided by majority vote between the teams).
  • There will be three mid season test days after three Grand Prix weekends.
  • Teams may sacrifice 1 or more of these test days in exchange for running their spare car during the first two free practice sessions of three Grand Prix weekends. If they want, they can sacrifice all three days and run three cars for nine weekends.
Calendar

My calendar will be:
  1. Australia, Albert Park
  2. Malaysia, Sepang
  3. Bahrain/Turkey alternation
  4. Spain, alternating between Jerez and Catalunya
  5. Portugal, Estoril
  6. Monaco
  7. France, Magny Cours
  8. Canada, Montreal
  9. Great Britain, Silverstone
  10. Europe, alternating between Oulton Park and Budapest
  11. Germany, alternating between old Hockenheim and Nurburgring
  12. Austria, Red Bull Ring
  13. San Marino, Imola
  14. Italy, Monza
  15. Belgium, Spa
  16. USA, Austin
  17. America, alternating between Indianapolis and Leguna Seca
  18. Japan, Fuji/Suzuka alternation
  19. Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina
  20. Brazil, Interlagos
What about you?

A lot of the actually problems in F1 (rather than what is just personal preference) would be solved by simply ditching the strategy group. Having 6 teams (4 of which are financially huge teams) deciding the rules for the rest of the grid is completely dumb. 

Needless to say, the agenda for what is best for the teams in the strategy group and the agenda for what is best for the sport don't line up. 

Mexicola said:
Invest all my sponsorship money into women and cocaine.
Bit expensive, don't you think? And then there's the cocaine aswell...

Sorry, but you are seriously out of touch with what modern F1 needs. I'll do a full response when I have the time later, unless someone beats me to it.

@ukfan758 I have a feeling the original post didn't come with overwhelming agreement huh? I don't even know where to start there's so much that doesn't make sense.

Formula 1 should never go to equal cars... that's just a terrible idea. If you know any history of F1, equal cars couldn't be further from its purpose. What makes F1 the pinnacle motorsport is that things aren't equal. If you have one chasis, the same exact engine, and same aero, there is nothing in it for the teams. Competition breeds innovation, if the teams aren't allowed to take different approaches to the rules the cars will never advance. Also how do you propose engine manufactures will make the exact same engine? If all the manufactures have to make exactly the same engine there is no reason to have multiple manufactures. If you want the exact same cars across the field go watch Indycar or NASCAR or Formula E. Sure the racing is closer, but it is still boring as %$@#.

But if you think equal cars will make F1 better you can think that... but you justify it with cost saving. But by the end of your paragraph you're saying we need unlimited testing, engines, and unlimited tyres? You do realize what that will bring (as it's happened before)? The top teams will change engines at least every race (if not every session) and since you want V12s(albeit I'm not against V12s) that will be one heck of a cost. With unlimited testing you'll get teams testing ever day (Ferrari doesn't even have to travel); testing this way will require the teams to build additional racing cars for their test drivers to test, they'll have to rent out tracks and pay for travel expenses, and more crucially the teams will double the amount of employees, they'll have a race team and an equally large and separate test team. All that ain't gonna come cheap. So Your cost saving ideas just went down the drain rather quickly. While cost cutting is a legitimate concern in F1, your ideas will not solve anything.

You want to ban KERS? Why? You do realize that KERS has been one of the biggest technological advances in the motorsport. KERS lead to the hybrid systems in the current formula. And again if you know anything about the history of F1, its that the sport is meant to usher in superior technological advances. Taking away KERS and the hybrid systems will revert back to traditional power units which no longer is an advance in technology.

I'm not even going to touch your ideas for changing the tracks. They're just so out of touch with motorsports that it hurts.

Free F1 on the internet? HA! Why would the FIA want to give away they product? That's just silly. I don't know how TV subscriptions work overseas but in America there really isn't free television, so all F1 broadcasts are essentially paid for. While I agree you shouldn't have to add a subscription to your current TV bill to be able to watch F1, I still have enough common sense to know that F1 will never be truly free to watch on any platform... seeing as it is a business.

Finally... You're kidding about a 30 race calendar right? You have to be. If you aren't then you have zero understanding of what cost cutting is. Do you know how much it costs to travel to these races? And you want to fill up 30 out 52 weekends with racing? So you want teams to travel to a race Wedensday/Thursday, practice Friday and Saturday, then race on Sunday, pack up and immediately ship to the next race? and since you have 30 weeks of racing, you're going to have a lot of back to back races so the teams will get no down time whatsoever... besides the incredible stress and expense on the teams it would have traveling so much. Plus you want to run extremely modern cars on completely out of date tracks? That's just a recipe for disaster on sleep deprived teams.

Sorry for the incredibly long post but it need to be said.

The only money saving mechanism that I think would probably work is a cost cap and none of that two-tier championship crap that was floated back in 2009. Accept it or you're not allowed to enter.

@ukfan758‌ 30 race season? Are you for real? 

If I was the director of F1, I would just go back to 2010 spec cars, with no DRS and KERS, make the field a bit closer in terms of performance. I would probably keep the V8 instead of the V10 to save costs, but I would encourage the engine manufacturers to find ways of making the engines more economical, as well as raising the RPM limit to 20,000. I would make the aerodynamic restrictions more open to allow designers more freedom and creativity. I would make the pit lane open to everybody on the Thursday, but in places with bigger pit lanes. Bye Bye Pirellis, hello Bridgestones. Plus I would reverse all the silly changes made for the 2014/2015 Sporting Regulations. As for the calendar, I would go: 

1. Albert Park - Australia 
2. Sakhir - Bahrain 
3. Istanbul - Turkey 
4. Imola - San Marino 
5. Catalunya - Spain 
6. Monte Carlo - Monaco 
7. Magny Cours - France 
8. Montreal - Canada 
9. Silverstone (Bridge Version) - Britain 
10. Nurburgring - Germany 
11. Budapest - Hungary 
*Mid Season Break* 
12. Red Bull Ring - Austria 
13. Spa - Belgium 
14. Monza - Italy 
15. Marina Bay - Singapore 
16. Sepang - Malaysia 
17. Suzuka - Japan 
18. Yas Marina - Abu Dhabi 
19. Austin - USA 
20. São Paulo - Brazil

Well, the others above have said most of what I wanted to, but just to add on:

KERS is one of the best ideas to have come to Formula 1. It isn't an overtaking gimmick (because it's not push-to-pass), and the only thing it adds is efficiency. You could have V8s, V10s, V12s and they'd all be perfectly complemented by KERS (or ERS). Can you imagine if we took the 2.4L V8s, allowed development to improve efficiency, made the cars run leaner for less power and further improved efficiency, then complemented it with the 2014 ERS? We'd have monstrous power yet incredible efficiency figures.

People always say the want the V8 or V10 engines etc, but you forget they were effectively in the stone ages compared to modern technology. Only now do the F1 cars have fuel injection, so even when the V8s were introduced in 2006 they were outdated. Renault already said that they would withdraw if the new engines weren't introduced and there would be no way new manufacturers like Honda (and maybe VW) would enter. Honda and Toyota pulled out because they weren't successful and because there was no technology crossover between F1 and road cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the classic V6s from the 80s and the Ferrari V12 howl of the 90s (and of course the V10 scream and V8 roar), but I dread to think where F1 would be now without the V6 turbos + ERS.

Exactly. It's fine to prefer the V10's or whatever (I know I do), but for the sport Renault and Mercedes said they would've pulled out at the end of last year had this more road relevant change not been made, so it was massively necessary and while personally I'm not a huge fan of the "efficiency era" I totally understand it needed to happen.

And I don't about anyone else but I think one engine manufacturer in the sport would've been a bit boring. 

But the thing is the current engines aren't really road relevant at all . LMP1 cars are road relevant. Not these engines. Hybrid cars have been here for years for goodness sake. I wouldn't be able to resist the V10's to be honest. A V10 will never be outdated.  :P

But the thing is the current engines aren't really road relevant at all . LMP1 cars are road relevant. Not these engines. Hybrid cars have been here for years for goodness sake. I wouldn't be able to resist the V10's to be honest. A V10 will never be outdated.  :P
True, hybrid has been around for years but this is the chance to expand on it. Brake energy recovery came from F1 and all the manufacturers are moving towards smaller forced induction engines. ERS will be fitted onto road cars soon enough - the Ferrari 599HYKERS was developed from F1.

I'd probably go more down the touring car route in terms of the races I think I'd keep all the other rules as they work quite well atm.

By touring car rules I'm referring to the way the races are structured in that they have shorter races but I'd split the races into like 2 or 3 rounds per race weekend. in the second and 3rd race grids are decided by the pervious race results in reverse for example the Mercedes if they won round 1 would be at the back of the pack to start race 2 and the Caterham's and Marrussia's would be at the front. This way it would give everybody a chance to taste victory.

I'd probably go more down the touring car route in terms of the races I think I'd keep all the other rules as they work quite well atm.

By touring car rules I'm referring to the way the races are structured in that they have shorter races but I'd split the races into like 2 or 3 rounds per race weekend. in the second and 3rd race grids are decided by the pervious race results in reverse for example the Mercedes if they won round 1 would be at the back of the pack to start race 2 and the Caterham's and Marrussia's would be at the front. This way it would give everybody a chance to taste victory.

Artificial racing at it's best.. How about success ballast as well? :P

mike96 said:

Artificial racing at it's best.. How about success ballast as well? :P
you can have it if you want it :p

ukfan758 said:
@ukfan758 I have a feeling the original post didn't come with overwhelming agreement huh? I don't even know where to start there's so much that doesn't make sense.

Formula 1 should never go to equal cars... that's just a terrible idea. If you know any history of F1, equal cars couldn't be further from its purpose. What makes F1 the pinnacle motorsport is that things aren't equal. If you have one chasis, the same exact engine, and same aero, there is nothing in it for the teams. Competition breeds innovation, if the teams aren't allowed to take different approaches to the rules the cars will never advance. Also how do you propose engine manufactures will make the exact same engine? If all the manufactures have to make exactly the same engine there is no reason to have multiple manufactures. If you want the exact same cars across the field go watch Indycar or NASCAR or Formula E. Sure the racing is closer, but it is still boring as %$@#.

But if you think equal cars will make F1 better you can think that... but you justify it with cost saving. But by the end of your paragraph you're saying we need unlimited testing, engines, and unlimited tyres? You do realize what that will bring (as it's happened before)? The top teams will change engines at least every race (if not every session) and since you want V12s(albeit I'm not against V12s) that will be one heck of a cost. With unlimited testing you'll get teams testing ever day (Ferrari doesn't even have to travel); testing this way will require the teams to build additional racing cars for their test drivers to test, they'll have to rent out tracks and pay for travel expenses, and more crucially the teams will double the amount of employees, they'll have a race team and an equally large and separate test team. All that ain't gonna come cheap. So Your cost saving ideas just went down the drain rather quickly. While cost cutting is a legitimate concern in F1, your ideas will not solve anything.

You want to ban KERS? Why? You do realize that KERS has been one of the biggest technological advances in the motorsport. KERS lead to the hybrid systems in the current formula. And again if you know anything about the history of F1, its that the sport is meant to usher in superior technological advances. Taking away KERS and the hybrid systems will revert back to traditional power units which no longer is an advance in technology.

I'm not even going to touch your ideas for changing the tracks. They're just so out of touch with motorsports that it hurts.

Free F1 on the internet? HA! Why would the FIA want to give away they product? That's just silly. I don't know how TV subscriptions work overseas but in America there really isn't free television, so all F1 broadcasts are essentially paid for. While I agree you shouldn't have to add a subscription to your current TV bill to be able to watch F1, I still have enough common sense to know that F1 will never be truly free to watch on any platform... seeing as it is a business.

Finally... You're kidding about a 30 race calendar right? You have to be. If you aren't then you have zero understanding of what cost cutting is. Do you know how much it costs to travel to these races? And you want to fill up 30 out 52 weekends with racing? So you want teams to travel to a race Wedensday/Thursday, practice Friday and Saturday, then race on Sunday, pack up and immediately ship to the next race? and since you have 30 weeks of racing, you're going to have a lot of back to back races so the teams will get no down time whatsoever... besides the incredible stress and expense on the teams it would have traveling so much. Plus you want to run extremely modern cars on completely out of date tracks? That's just a recipe for disaster on sleep deprived teams.

Sorry for the incredibly long post but it need to be said.

Thank you for telling me that my suggestion was s***, it was very thoughtful of you. Here's a cookie :). In fact, I was so impressed since you mentioned only a few da** positives that I will give you TWO COOKIES. I love how you said that your comment must be said. My gosh, if it was not said, people could have DIED *gasp*, people could have starved! It must be so hard to be positive for you, isn't SR? Exactly. Go eat your cookie, good job my young padawan. ;) I see that you said that I don't know ANYTHING about F1, yup I don't know ANYTHING. F1 must have never had V12 engines, senna never raced in F1 (man, I am an idiot for thinking he raced in F1, wait, who is Senna) and Michael Schumacher did not get 91 Grand Prix wins. Here's a hint, sarcasm. :) Holy crap my ideas were radical, infact it's too radical. My new ideas: - Have only one race a season because anything that requires traveling is bad. -The race will be 1 lap long and will take place at Silverstone with a million chicanes to ensure safety, so that most teams don't even have to travel because traveling is a radical idea. -Use V1 engines because anything higher would be Stone Age technology, F1 is the pinnacle of Motorsport and it can't be anything old. - Let the teams use only 1/2 an engine, that's right, 1/2 an engine, because if it was a whole engine, that would be inefficient and too expensive. -The cars must be made of 100% recycled air because anything else is Stone Age technology and too expensive.
Um, I'm pretty sure you cant get V1 engines  :))

Dude, you can't. You can have a v-twin (V2) but you can't have a V1, because you can't shape it a a V. It's just a one cylinder engine.