Jump to content Jump to content

Its probably me, but 2021 has much more oversteer?

HI guys, new to the forum, but been playing F1 games for a couple of years now. Im still not very good, but in the 2020 game I had decent setups and had good control of the cars. But now, in 2021, I really struggle to get on the throttle without spinning out, the cars seem much 'twitchier'. 

(for perspective: i'm on PS4, with Thrustmaster T300 wheel and pedals).

I have used setups from other drivers before, but now i can't seem to find any ones that suit my driving style. Anyone have recommendations, and/or a username they know has pretty stable car setups?

Thanks!

• Like 1

hello, On f1 2021 I'm using more conservative setups. Ex: 1-4 Shock Absorber, 1-3 Stability Bar. That way I'm not losing too much of a tail. I have a Thrustmaster TMX and I play on Xbox, so I don't have anyone to indicate who you can look at the setups for. It would be so nice if we had a vibration in the wheel drive tires. in control has 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BenandJerry74 said:

HI guys, new to the forum, but been playing F1 games for a couple of years now. Im still not very good, but in the 2020 game I had decent setups and had good control of the cars. But now, in 2021, I really struggle to get on the throttle without spinning out, the cars seem much 'twitchier'. 

I have used setups from other drivers before, but now i can't seem to find any ones that suit my driving style. Anyone have recommendations, and/or a username they know has pretty stable car setups?

Thanks!

If you are spinning out and you are using NO traction control then you need to adjust the action of the throttle to make it more progressive and slow the way it opens , you do this by adjusting the throttle linearity . Try doing a test starting with 10 then try 20 then 30 etc upto 100 and when you find something that prolongs the action of applying the throttle and gives you a greater degree of control then do tests around that setting I.e if its best at 25 set it at 26then test at 27 ;or test at 24 and so on until you find the best action that stops the throttle being aggressive at certain points on  its stroke. This will iron out any snappy parts of accelerating , but you still need to use a technique where you throttle on and reach a certain point where you hold the throttle at that point and let the revs increase before you can get out of the torquey range of the rev band and then apply full throttle.

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 2

Setups are subjective, if your having a bad day no setup in the world is going to seem good and bad driving habits also are punished in this edition. Plateaus happen and you have to be patient till ya get better sometimes. 

That being said SimRacingSetups on YouTube may help. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BRPSaga said:

hello, On f1 2021 I'm using more conservative setups. Ex: 1-4 Shock Absorber, 1-3 Stability Bar. That way I'm not losing too much of a tail. I have a Thrustmaster TMX and I play on Xbox, so I don't have anyone to indicate who you can look at the setups for. It would be so nice if we had a vibration in the wheel drive tires. in control has 

If you want vibration in the wheel drive tyres then try adjusting your FFB settings ;  concentrate on the 'On track FFB setting and the 'Wheel Damper ' setting but not a lot of wheel damper keep it low , around 15 or below  higher settings of 'On Track' FFB settings should at a specific sweet spot give you the vibrations at the wheel that you are looking for , FFB settings are sometimes very sensitive and moving from for example a setting of 75 to a setting of 76 MAY produce a dramatic difference in effects sent to the wheel. If you're prepared to put the time into testing many different FFB settings then you may be surprised at what you end up with.

Try here for some good stable setups https://simracingsetup.com/category/f1-2021-game/

His setups at first glance will have you scratching your head... But his setups aren’t aimed at being fast over a lap... but having good pace and stability over the entire race... I use his setups as a base then tweak to personal preference 

They are setups for wheel users but I use a pad and find they still work well with a few controller adjustments 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 2
10 hours ago, Badmayhem said:

Setups are subjective, if your having a bad day no setup in the world is going to seem good and bad driving habits also are punished in this edition. Plateaus happen and you have to be patient till ya get better sometimes. 

That being said SimRacingSetups on YouTube may help. 

Sorry fella didn’t see you already suggested sim racing setups 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:38 AM, Exasperated said:

If you are spinning out and you are using NO traction control then you need to adjust the action of the throttle to make it more progressive and slow the way it opens , you do this by adjusting the throttle linearity . Try doing a test starting with 10 then try 20 then 30 etc upto 100 and when you find something that prolongs the action of applying the throttle and gives you a greater degree of control then do tests around that setting I.e if its best at 25 set it at 26then test at 27 ;or test at 24 and so on until you find the best action that stops the throttle being aggressive at certain points on  its stroke. This will iron out any snappy parts of accelerating , but you still need to use a technique where you throttle on and reach a certain point where you hold the throttle at that point and let the revs increase before you can get out of the torquey range of the rev band and then apply full throttle.

I am indeed not using any TC or other assists. I will definitely look into the setup of the throttle progression!!

On 10/10/2021 at 2:31 AM, BenandJerry74 said:

Thanks!

Try these setups: https://simracingsetup.com/category/f1-2021-game/

or look for Dodger1's setups here: https://www.f1carsetup.com/forum/674-f1-2021-setups

The handling I find in 2020 is harder than 2019 but very rewarding once you get the lap right and get used to it. You need to be a bit more modular with the throttle input. 

Caveat is that setups are subjective and what works for one person may not work for another. For example, SRS setup for Silverstone, I find a bit too oversteery for me compared to Dodger1's which I find more stable and I'm actually quicker with over a lap. 

Edited by Sonic6L