Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] [UX] Show specific button graphics for input devices

Currently only generic buttons (1,2,3, ...) are shown for menu and ingame control instructions. Sometimes it is hard to remember what number matches to which button on the controller or wheel. Therefore it would be great to have specific button graphics for specific supported devices. For example showing X, O, Y, Square, L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3, PS, +, -, .Shifter+, Shifter-, ... instead when Logitech Driving Force GT is used. Or showing the XBOX-Buttons when an XBox-Controller is used.

I see not everything works that way, but a lot of wheels do have face buttons, but for those who don't it would be pretty useless, since it would still have to be the same. One of the biggest things I didn't like about the thrustmaster wheel was all the same color buttons.

How about using the keyboard?? Would be so much easier.  Currently I have know way of knowing what button 17 or any others are.  Makes navigating the UI a nightmare :(

Imjoemang said:
How about using the keyboard?? Would be so much easier.  Currently I have know way of knowing what button 17 or any others are.  Makes navigating the UI a nightmare :(
The keyboard still says button 27? That's actually kind of funny. I'm pretty sure using my Xbox controller all the buttons are the actual ones, but not my wheel with Xbox buttons. On a bit of a side note, in DiRT 3 the accept button is my wheels left paddle, and the back button is an unmarked face button, instead of the A and B buttons. So at least they got that much figured out so it's now the right face buttons, but I can't remember if button 4 is X or Y.

I dont need this really, but yeah it can be great (and more clear)

But messing around a bit you get quickly the buttons map

DiRT Rally is the first game I play with my brand new G29 and having to navigate with non descriptive buttons 1 to infinity is pretty annoying. In almost all modern games, console-controllers get picked up very easy and the UX gets adjusted for it on the fly. They could just as well use PS4 themed buttons for the interface (or whatever fits the controller that is in use), the game is even out for consoles!