DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Suggestion Box Round Up

I've taken all @KickUp replies to the steam forum suggestion threads and put them in a (Hopefully readable) Q&A format over the next 2 posts. I would of done it in one but we have a max character count.

[FEATURE] Co-OP Mode (Driver and Co-Driver)

A. I'm not sure we will be able to do this as an actual multiplayer mode but I am currently working on getting the co driver calls into a written format that can be downloaded so that you can print them and do some co driver role-play. I realise its not the full thing but it should at least allow you guys to have some opportunity to be the codriver.

Originally posted by flagg:
It would be nice if we could record our own notes and pass them to the game.

A. That is an even bigger ask but something I would like us to work towards in the future.   

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Equal car upgrades in leagues 

Currently I understand the game carries your career upgrades to leagues.

I would like to see everyone able to use the fully upgraded car in leagues. I think it is better to have everyone on equal footing.

Or even better, how upgrades are handled could be controlled by the league administrator. And the league results would show how upgraded each person's car was.

A. We are looking to support this soon

Originally posted by Al Pacino:
Yeah, an option to choose whether car upgrades were active or not. (if not, everyone would have the same car upgrades up to the max or something).

A. That bit will take a bit longer but we are aiming to do it too

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Car Maker Nationality

Please add a flag in the car selection menu to make clear from where the car originates. Now it is not clear which upgrade bonus to use. For example the 2010 Mini, is it British or German? Or we can select American manufacturer. Some think it is Ford, which is wrong in my opinion.

A. Its a good idea and one that we discussed in the studio a while back. Part of the problem is exactly what you have called out. When we license a Ford they expect it to be seen as American even when we know that the cars in game were designed and built in Europe.

If it helps here is the list so far:

Japanese
Subaru
American
Ford
German
Volkswagen
BMW
Audi
Opel
British
Mini
MG
Italian
Lancia
FIAT
French
Peugeot
Citroën
DS Automobiles
Spanish
Seat 

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Engine blowing when shifting to a lower gear 

At the moment you can go in the 6 gear at top speed and if you downshift to 5 or 4 the engine won't blow.

A. We have limiters on our engines even in those cases where the engine had no limiter in real life. This is not actually because we can't simulate it, it is because of limitations in the way our audio speaks to our simulation.

I agree that it is something we need to improve but there is not an easy solution to this.

In topic [FEATURE] Manual headlights and wipers 

Buttons we can bind for manually turning lights and wipers on and off.

A. We are adding Manual Wipers and Headlights to the next update.

I feel like the force feedback is very light in the RX rally.

A. We will be revisiting the FFB once we have done the full V2 handling pass.

In topic Hard-core Damage

A. This is something we are looking into.
When we first setup the damage we wanted to make sure that players were driving with the true spirit of rally and trying to take their car to the finish line rather than simply restarting when they damaged their car.
In hindsight we have made the cars too robust and I would like us to at least have more realistic damage caused when having impacts. We are investigating this but it may take some time to implement it properly.

Disable Auto Recovery

A. We are investigating this but it may take some time to implement it properly.

In topic Retiring a stage, not the whole event. 

A. Super rally is a feature specific to the WRC and because we don't have the WRC license we cannot represent it. In most other rallies when you retire from a stage you go over time limit and you get eliminated from the rally.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Pick countries in custom championships 

A. Custom championships were introduced to allow players to make events that were of a length and difficulty suitable to the time they had available rather than to allow a full Championship to be created with all events defined.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT}] Co-driver light/pod/bumper lights 

Would love to see a co-driver light in the car at night stages.

Would also love to see realistic/car specific bumper pods as well. Many of the cars in this sim has that in real, so put this on the cars as well. And maybe correct pod lights, example, the Impreza Group A and Focus WRC don't have their real looking pod lights.

A. We can't do that sort of lighting in the interior at the moment. Also the lamp pods we put on the cars are built using the same system so we can't do the bumper pods on specific cars. Sorry

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Minimap 

A. We wanted to make this game as authentic as possible so we removed the minimap so that you have to use the codriver. Sorry

In topic [CAR & TRACKS] Arial Nomad 

A. Its a cool looking vehicle but I don't think it fits with DiRT Rally.

In topic Damaged Car Displayed in Repair menus 

A. We considered this too but we'd still have to create the scene on every stage, but we chose to focus on making more stages instead, I think it is something we should definitely be improving on though so its very high on my wish list."

In topic (rejected) Helicopter view replays have pace notes 

A. We did this because you hear the co driver in the helicopter footage in most Rally TV coverage. It was actually suggested by one of our community members.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Remove 'Hold Handbrake' and Countdown display when HUD is hidden. 

A. This was actually a bug and should be fixed in the next version

Originally posted by T.Anderzon:

Great to hear! Hope you remove every visible countdown and so on when we use "No visible hud". And hope you can remove the auto revs in the start of the stage.

A. The handbrake prompt is definitely removed. The countdown may require another fix but we will sort it.

In topic [FEATURE] Different tyres. 

I'd suggest you add the tyre gamble aspect of rallying in the game.
Asphalt: Dry, wets and studded (for Monte Carlo)
Gravel: Dry and wet
For example in Monte Carlo you see that the next stage is mainly on icy tarmac, the stage after that is not but there's a 60% chance of rain coming for that stage, what do you do?

A. To do this properly we would need to start simulating tyre degradation and we don't currently support that. I agree some tyre choice would definitely add a strategic element to the decisions you make in the service area but I would want to do it properly if we are going to do it at all.

Originally posted by joker747    

Do you not support (as in like) the idea or do you not support (as in missing know-how or time) the idea?

A. like the idea but if we do it I want to do it properly. Its time not know-how that is the issue.

In topic [FEATURE] Rally School 

A. I'd love to have a rally school too but to do it I would want to do it properly.
   If any of you guys have been to a rally school you'll know that the instructor watches how you drive and gives you very quick, clear and concise instructions to guide you to become a better driver.
   To do such a reactive system in game is a huge undertaking and in the end we have focused on getting more stages in the game at the cost of something like this.
   I totally agree that with a game with more depth some kind of tuition or guides become much more important as it becomes vital to understand the techniques of rally driving to be able to perform out on stage.
   I'm currently in the process of writing some guides that I hope we can turn into something that explains the theory behind rally driving but it is taking time.
   So, a rally school is probably not going to happen but I would like us to explain rally theory to you guys so that you are not going into the stages as a complete novice.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] More detailed display of Personal Best [PB] times history 

A. We are planning to do more leader board support so this may get included with that.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] 900 degree wheel rotation animation in cockpit mode 

A. So we have some significant limitations in our animations that mean that we are not going to be able to do this when the driver's arms are being rendered. However we are planning to do the correct steering wheel rotation when you turn the driver's arms off in the preferences menu.

In topic Anti-lag 

I would like to see that you fix anti-lag in for example the Group-A class and ofc in the wrc cars.

A. The Group A cars are getting their v2 handling pass which should help with this.

In topic [GAME MODE] Hot Seat Mode

Hot Seat is basically a local multiplayer mode where a group of people take turns on a single PC racing a stage and the game tracks each person's time and places them in a local leader board

A. Sadly we have investigated hot seat mode and its not going to be technically possible right now but knowing how strongly you guys feel about it I will try and ensure that it is factored into future plans.

Originally posted by think:
what does future plans mean? waiting to April next year is a long time. but it wouldn´t be so bad if it would be possible to drive online some real time rally's against your friends.

A. I can't say yet as we are still working things out. Its really my way of saying that I want to do this but I cannot guarantee when that will happen. Sorry if that is a bit vague.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Co-driver comments when driving to wrong direction 

A. Yeah - we'll look into getting these recorded as you are right its not clear when you have turned the HUD off.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Historically accurate drivetrains 

A. We actually model the various differential types in the different cars but the setup screens are (for the most part universal) - I don't think we are going to be able to go this deep this time round but we can look to improve it in future. v2 Handling on the Group B cars makes them more of a handful so hopefully you'll feel their nuances a lot more.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Save Replay 

A. This is not possible with the system we are using. To support this we need to rework stuff at a very fundamental level.
   I agree its a cool idea and I want it in future.

In topic [CAR & TRACKS] Japan 

A. I loved those stages back in the day too. I think its fair to say that we need to be supporting some other locations first before we go back to Japan though.

In topic Option to disable Mouse 

A. We are fixing this in the next update - sorry

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Variable/Dynamic weather throughout a stage 

A. Because our stages only ever last a maximum of 12 minutes we focused our efforts on other areas. I totally agree it would be cool and its something I am keen to support but I think our stages need to get a bit longer for dynamic weather to have a real impact.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] More information about the stages

I'd like to see at least the length of the stage. Also the height profile would be neat to setup the car accordingly.

A. Stage length and elevation are going to be included in the next update.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Finland pace note calls are too early 

A. The system we use looks at the angle of the corner and as such is a Route note and not a Pace Note. More info here: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/

As for the timings on Finland - we have had to push them earlier as there is so much extra info and the speed at which the cars should be travelling are so much higher.

I know that co driver calls are a very personal thing but we have tried to create a system that is suitable for most and contains the detail required to navigate stages that have much more technicality to them.

We've tried to add more adjustability to them but a full recce system would require calls to become very robotic and you would lose a lot of the detail we have added.

In topic [FEATURE] Pacenote export 

I'd like to play dirt rally with my friend as one of us is the Co-Driver, and it would be great to be able to export the pacenotes to print them somehow.

A. Yeah - I'm currently working through all the notes and getting them ready to do this. Its going to take time though.

In topic Support for the Logitech G29 sounds like a good suggestion.... 

A. We are looking to get this supported properly.

In topic Separate Co Driver Call Sound through headset

A. We've looked into this and its not feasible. I agree it would be a cool idea though.

In topic Features, Improvements and Fixes List 

New features:

- Stage length on loading screens
- Add a 'master' audio slider on audio options
- Add the stage map on the selection screen (instead of only having a picture)

Improvements:
- Improve the damage model of vehicles (windshield breaking, etc) and make vehicles break faster. note: On older vehicles it's fine, but I believe that newer vehicles are just too tough and can handle a lot of hits, when in reality it shouldn't be like that. Take a look at the first DiRT game, those damage models were great, and if CM could work on that to make it look and play better now (8 years later) it would look sick.
- Make the car harder to drive when heavily damaged (I feel like it doesn't change much apart, for example, from a blown tyre messing with the turning, or less speed when the engine is damaged)
- More menu soundtracks
- Better optimize the game, especially on RallyX
- REMOVE the slowdown when you get terminal damage. It ruins replays imo. (Just let it play normally)

Fixes:

- Fix the foliage (and some objects like barriers) pixel issue. note: I believe this is only affecting AMD GPU's.
- Fix Finland pace notes (I believe those are too early in comparison to other countries)
- Some stages in Finland have the ground a bit buggy (you can spot some white lines)

A. We are doing stage lengths in the next update but we won't be doing the stage maps (although it is a cool idea)

I agree on the damage and it is something we are investigating.

We will continue to optimise the game and fix bugs.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Things to learn from CMR 3

You've made the hardest things happen in the game: the physics, the graphics, the sounds.
But now you're missing the easiest things, which also play a very important role, specially for ambience purposes.

This video is going to be used for a few aspects:

https://youtu.be/2voFQS2nno4

1. @0:11 Windscreen effects when there's rain
We're missing a few details in Dirt Rally concerning the windscreen and the wipers when there's rain and dust.
I'm not just talking about the water drops, as these already exist, but the trace that the wipers leave when cleaning the water. Also, it looks like rain doesn't fall fast enough nor that the wipers run fast enough, which is something that made it feel like rain gameplay in CMR3 was faster.

2. @0:26 I don't remember seeing the driver and co driver being so dynamic in Dirt Rally like in CMR3. This is a detail, but a very good one.

3. @1:38 Damaging models, specially on rolls, need to be more critical in Dirt Rally. Rolls need to be spectacular.
I think that part of the video is self-explanatory. Plus, after a roll like that, the car should be so damaged that you just retire. Right it's feeling like the car can complete the stage no matter what happens to it. Also, I haven't seen wheels coming off in this game yet. We need that as well.

Now, on this video:

https://youtu.be/pCOauB8E5rU
1. @0:33 Podium presentation at the start of the rally. Rally order.

2. @01:09 Seeing the car in front of you leave, and the cars waiting behind you.
Overall, more interactive start of the stage rather than just showing the car coming to the starting line. CMR3 portrays this so good.

3. @06:02 The wipers effects again. As you can see, the visibility isn't that good. In Dirt Rally we have way too much visibility while on heavy rain. We need more water drops, faster wipers and less visibility. This will just make us feel like rain is actually a fair obstacle.

4. @08:53 Let us drive to the stopping area, instead of the slow motion end like we have now. Damage done after passing the finishing time control should still account since you can still damage the car while driving to the stopping area.

5. @13:00 Interactive and alive service area.

6. @25:30 We're missing Super Specials.

7. @27:23 Podium at the end of the rally with the winners and their cars, with the public and all that stuff.

All this stuff is present on a game you made previously. Use the golden era of the series to improve DR.
--- Things to learn from other rally games ---

https://youtu.be/pyeNFaH9pnk

1. @ 0:47 Start screen.
Why not have a start screen like this, showing the cars and the legends? Yes I'm talking about the real videos, so you just have to do some video editing and that's all.
You could even keep it going on like this, with videos in the background while going through the menu @02:07.
You don't really need to change your UI, you just need to replace your background with a more interactive thing and the videos are a nice idea

2. @02:14 Whenever you start a new career season in the championship, this is something nice to have.

3. @03:43 Wouldn't it be nice to have a video for each important car that has made into WRC? Take that Xsara for example. It shows the video with the legendary pilots that passed through it, the crew, etc. This is all very easy to do... after all it's a video.

4. @13:08 At the place you show the flags of each driver's nationality, replace them with their manufacturers and put the flags elsewhere.

And last, but not least, it would be nice to have a video introducing each rally just like in WRC. At the moment there's just a transition between the existing rally locations (e.g. from Monte Carlo to Greece) but there are no videos showing these locations like an intro.  

A. For now we have focused on building new foundations for DiRT Rally and I am hoping that we can start to layer in this additional stuff in the future.

On a couple of the specific points -
   - The windscreen effects in CMR3 were 2d they are more challenging to do well in 3d especially when we let players adjust the position of the camera etc.

- The movement of the driver and co driver - we have to make sure our driver and co driver are properly restrained within the car due to licensing restrictions that didn't exist back in the day. That said I do agree we could improve on the way that they react to impacts and collisions.

- Damage - we wanted players to have a much greater sense of persevering through an event rather than just restarting so we made the cars pretty strong. I agree that we have probably pushed this too far and we are looking into some possible solutions but it won't be an easy fix.

- Podiums and Driving to the start/finish line - Totally agree and this all really adds to the atmosphere but it is expensive to do and we made the call to focus on the on stage action at this stage.

- Interactive service areas / Super Specials - again I'd love to do these but we made the call to make more stages instead.

In topic Rally multiplayer? 

A. I know it would be a cool feature but we originally decided to make Rally part of our online (Asynchronous) events as that was more in keeping with the sport and it reduces a lot of the friction around getting players competing against one another.

Since we released our Rallycross multiplayer we have seen that people have really wanted us to support it in Rally but sadly there are a number of factors that have made this a lot more challenging for us to do than we had hoped.

In topic daily event with same class? 

so when I heard about daily events it only took a few seconds before I bought the game.
But I didn't like it at all. every day there is a different class? I want to drive with MY class.
Like I only drive group B, then I don't want to drive 60's or 2010's or RWD or anything like that.

You should add a daily event where there is always the same class, I don't care if its group B or 2000's or 2010 or whatever. I just want it to be the same class every time I drive.

Oh and this will happens please don't choose RWD :P

A. We designed the daily event system to offer a different challenge each day. The weekly and monthly challenges are where you get to stay in the same class. Sorry

In topic How long? 4 Kilometres left. 

Just watched this weeks episode of Launch Control (great youtube series following the American Subaru Rally and RallyCross team).

But on the episode, David Higgins punctured and immediately said ''how long left?'' co-driver replied ''4 miles''.

What a cool little extremely helpful feature for people who have splits disabled and have no idea how far they have left on a stage with a puncture.

A. We have looked into doing the co driver giving splits and stuff like this but it never sounded right cutting into the pace notes. As a co driver myself I do think it is a cool idea though and I would like to try and get more interaction with the co driver in future.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Service area amount in custom championship 

When creating custom championship add selection for how often/how many service areas there are per event.

For example: after 1/1 (rookie mode), 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 stages etc. or entirely off during event (for short events at least).

Still thinking that service areas after every second stage is too often..
Every third of fourth would be more sensible.

A. Its a cool idea but the service intervals are always every 2 stages in the main career so we decided to keep it that way. You can change the service interval when you create leagues and we may look at varying this stuff a bit more in the future but for now this is how it will be. Sorry

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] POWER STAGE 

Make it possible to add power stage at the end of a rally in the league creator or make it possible to add points. Maybe make it permanent in career mode?

A. I agree it would be a cool thing to add into the League creator but we have to be really careful with doing stuff like this as we don't have the WRC license.

In topic Suggestion: Time trial needed 

I love comparing my best times with the ones of my steam "friends"

The reasons for this post:

1. What I would like to see is both in the game on the dirtgame website the possibility to check all my best times and compare it with the ones from my "friends". I understand this can get complicated with all the tracks, cars' groups and conditions (rain, snow) but I think it is feasible and it would add great added value to the game. It was possible (and well done) in Grid Autosport, why not in Dirt Rally?
  2. I would like to do time trial in the game. So pick up a track, track conditions, a car and compete against my best time (and my friends').
  3. Of course global leaderboard is needed as well, showing as it is now my placement in the global leaderboard beside my name. It would be also nice and motivating to see how many positions we have gained (in green) or lost (in red) since last attempt or last time we checked the leaderboard.

A. We are looking at supporting leader boards better. It probably won't be a time trial mode but the global leader boards should really help with this.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] Wrecked cars through the stage. 

I was thinking that it would be a cool feature in career mode if we were finding abandon cars during the stage either off a cliff or in an intersection or something like that.

A. It is a really cool idea but we have optimised the game to run one car on stage. Its not something we can do right now but its on my list of things I want to improve on in future.

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] In-game Seat Adjustment 

it would be nice to see a seat adjustment option. Assetto Corsa, Eurotruck Sim 2, rFactor, and other titles allow the user to adjust the viewpoint to their preferences as well as full scale FOV. Would be great to save each car profile.

A. Seat adjustment will be in the next update

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] More Replay cameras 

A. Unfortunately this is a limitation in the way that our replays are created and we aren't able to support this. It is something that we want to improve on in the future though.

In topic [Improvement] Repeat Pace Note 

A. We've looked into doing the repeated note system but it introduced a number of additional problems so we decided against it in the end. Sorry

In topic [IMPROVEMENT] More Realistic Crowd 

A. This is a limitation in our character system and while I agree that we should be looking to improve the crowd animations it hasn't been our priority.

Wow, it's pretty impressive all the community ideas they're implementing. It just kind of sucks that they did this surprise unannounced release and put themselves on such a stringent timeline. Based on KickUps responses it seems like their Ego engine is getting a bit dated and could use a new iteration, maybe on the next game then. It's also interesting how much red tape these guys have to deal with. In any case I feel like they'll have to release more content, patches, and updates after the EA unless they extend it, a lot of these suggestions are inconceivable based on the small amount of time they have, and if they extend EA or do post release patches they'll be able to add a lot more to the game. I'm not incredibly content picky, but even with releasing all the claimed content they're making the game still feels a little small.

JZStudios said:
Wow, it's pretty impressive all the community ideas they're implementing. It just kind of sucks that they did this surprise unannounced release and put themselves on such a stringent timeline. Based on KickUps responses it seems like their Ego engine is getting a bit dated and could use a new iteration, maybe on the next game then. It's also interesting how much red tape these guys have to deal with. In any case I feel like they'll have to release more content, patches, and updates after the EA unless they extend it, a lot of these suggestions are inconceivable based on the small amount of time they have, and if they extend EA or do post release patches they'll be able to add a lot more to the game. I'm not incredibly content picky, but even with releasing all the claimed content they're making the game still feels a little small.
There is a new version, it's first game was f1 2015. If they release Dirt Rally on consoles maybe it will come with a port to the new engine and an update for us pc users.

AphDburn said:
JZStudios said:
There is a new version, it's first game was f1 2015. If they release Dirt Rally on consoles maybe it will come with a port to the new engine and an update for us pc users.

@AphDburn 
Umm, sorry this is not the 2015 engine.  I asked about this long before DR was released (early in DiRTY Gossip section) and was told that simulating gravel was way different than Tarmac in F1 as well as many under the hood things.  They may share some basic tech, F1 and DiRT has separate paths now.  Later it was mentioned that DR runs on an improved Grid Autosport ego engine.  

@JZStudios 
I completely agree that there is a lot of tech that PC users demand a little more of, and as Consoles have 'grown up' a bit there is a lot that needs to be added.  If you look back as far as the EGO engine has been used, the basic effects have been there since the start, and where quite good for the time.  As hardware has improved so has the definition of the graphics, but only incrementally.  

AphDburn said:
JZStudios said:

gfRally said:
AphDburn said:

@AphDburn 
Umm, sorry this is not the 2015 engine.  I asked about this long before DR was released (early in DiRTY Gossip section) and was told that simulating gravel was way different than Tarmac in F1 as well as many under the hood things.  They may share some basic tech, F1 and DiRT has separate paths now.  Later it was mentioned that DR runs on an improved Grid Autosport ego engine.  

@JZStudios 
I completely agree that there is a lot of tech that PC users demand a little more of, and as Consoles have 'grown up' a bit there is a lot that needs to be added.  If you look back as far as the EGO engine has been used, the basic effects have been there since the start, and where quite good for the time.  As hardware has improved so has the definition of the graphics, but only incrementally.  
I think he meant that F1 was running the new engine, and was hoping DR updates. I know sometimes you can't use specific engines because they might not do something as well. I'm also not convinced of the "incrementally" improved definition of graphics, but whatever. I'm not sure when the EGO engine was first used, but technology changes so much and so quickly that what we do now, may have been top of the line a few years ago. I'm just waiting for the day when something like the 980ti or Titan is found in the bargain bin.

@JZStudios 

You are correct I did misread @AphDburn post.  Just to clarify, what I meant about "hardware improving" I mean that EGO engine has improved as well, but incrementally by bumping up texture quality/mesh quality resolution, etc. as newer hardware allowed.   Looking back at say CM3 to DiRT Rally its night and day, but nothing revolutionary, graphics wise.  

gfRally said:

@JZStudios 

You are correct I did misread @AphDburn post.  Just to clarify, what I meant about "hardware improving" I mean that EGO engine has improved as well, but incrementally by bumping up texture quality/mesh quality resolution, etc. as newer hardware allowed.   Looking back at say CM3 to DiRT Rally its night and day, but nothing revolutionary, graphics wise.  
Ah, gotcha. So a quick googling and they've been using the same engine since 2002? That's kind of insane actually, almost every other company makes a new engine every few years.