Jump to content Jump to content

Long Steam names overflow name length in Multiplayer, causing garbage data to be shown

• A detailed description of the issue.
    • Names over a certain length in Steam seem to mess with the game, causing a variety of issues. Some that I've found (username is 2006 Honda Odyssey with XM Radio):
      • In-game data is displayed after the name - I've seen null, invalid characters, and COLLISION WITH LEVASSUER (or other multiplayer AI)
      • When fastest laps are achieved, they are displayed as having been performed by another person in the multiplayer lobby (though the long named person still receives credit in points and with the purple colored name)
      • Issues are displayed to everyone in the lobby
  • Report Code
    • N/A
  • Platform?
    • Steam
  • Game-mode?
    • Multiplayer Lobbies
  • [ONLINE] The amount of players in your session? If you know the players forum username, please tag as many people who were in your session here.
    • Has occurred with 2-20 player lobbies
  • [ONLINE] Were you the host?
    • Both yes and no
  • [PC ONLY] Please post your DXDiag, including the make and model of motherboard.
    • Attached, mobo is MSI B450 A-Pro.
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.
    • Changing name to something shorter resolves the issue
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 
    • Will add screenshot when I get the chance
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.
    • In Steam, change your name to something that fills the character count limit
    • Join or Create a multiplayer lobby, then start a race
    • Open the Race Director or achieve a fastest lap

DxDiag.txt