Jump to content Jump to content

F1® 2021 | Barry's Basics | My Camera Angle of Choice

BarryBL

• Administrator

Hi everyone, I’m back with Part 2, which is my camera settings view I use while racing. After a lot of trail and error, I think I’ve found something that is a unique angle, and quite immersive. It’s sort of a hybrid between T-Cam and cockpit, and I can’t really race with anything else anymore. Settings are below:

20211015120751_1.jpg

I like to limit camera movement and shake, especially in Race. I want to know what I’m seeing, and the movement, although compromises realism, is my preferred setting.

20211015121236_1.jpg

Adding the On-screen display and the Virtual Rear View Mirror renders my side mirrors irrelevant, and lets me get closer in the cockpit. I race on a TMX wheel, so the closer I can get, the more involved I feel.

20211015122026_1.jpg

20210929171502_1.jpg

This is how it looks in session. Virtual Rear View mirror is in the halo, I can see all of the track, and feel close enough to the action. I also move non-essential elements into spots that are out of the way, as being able to see as much of the track is key. There are a few tweaks to camera angle and vertical to find the right balance per car.

Also, remove the halo column because I lack the skills 😄

So there it is, my camera angle I use for testing and racing. Show us your camera angles you use and test mine out to see if you like it. Its for sure not the best in the Community, but I feel involved in this one, and that’s all that matters for me in a Friday race session. As always, please post your own, any further tweaks I could make, and add pictures to compare 👍

Check back for Part 3, which are my wheel settings and calibration!

Many thanks,

Barry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15-10-2021_3-22-53_PM-jx3t5ry2.png
15-10-2021_3-23-11_PM-wl2lay5f.png

These are my camera settings. For a very long time, until F1 2020, I used to race the standard TV Pod camera angle without any changes. In F1 2020 I changed to the TV Pod Offset and pretty much changed it to a TV Pod (central position).

I like this new angle because I see the majority of my helmet, I can see the whole steering wheel which was important to me and I generally like the look of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 2:32 PM, ReimvomSchleim said:

These are my camera settings. For a very long time, until F1 2020, I used to race the standard TV Pod camera angle without any changes. In F1 2020 I changed to the TV Pod Offset and pretty much changed it to a TV Pod (central position).

I like this new angle because I see the majority of my helmet, I can see the whole steering wheel which was important to me and I generally like the look of it.

I'm sorry but that just won't do ! ..... you see ; a gentleman's' helmet should never be visible while it/he/she/they/them/those are racing. One should take notice of BarryBL.as he seems to have a grip .......well perhaps the Sonic the hedgehog eyebrow template  he uses. At the top of the screen is a little unorthodox and the missing halo strut (Which is illegal) but in the main everything seems to be in order...... marvellous.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Exasperated said:

I'm sorry but that just won't do ! ..... you see ; a gentleman's' helmet should never be visible while it/he/she/they/them/those are racing. One should take notice of BarryBL.as he seems to have a grip .......well perhaps the Sonic the hedgehog eyebrow template  he uses. At the top of the screen is a little unorthodox and the missing halo strut (Which is illegal) but in the main everything seems to be in order...... marvellous.

Two different opinions, fair enough. I've seen a good improvement in terms of pace but more importantly consistency and track limits after changing it to this setting. 

But it's obviously not gonna be the same for everyone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Your so misunderstood 

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 7:56 PM, ScaredDuck said:

Your so misunderstood 

When you have been set to ' Serious Mode ' while being indoctrinated at 'Tax payers training camp'  its difficult to see the wood for the trees , still their loss is our gain. In answer to Russell Crowe we can say " Yes we are entertained ". Marvellous. Enjoy your self .......... not too much mind.

Edited by Exasperated

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 6:51 PM, ReimvomSchleim said:

Two different opinions, fair enough. I've seen a good improvement in terms of pace but more importantly consistency and track limits after changing it to this setting. 

But it's obviously not gonna be the same for everyone

I was on a weekly challenge in WRC10 the other day in Cockpit view with a FOV setting giving what it actually looks like when you are sat in a car IE incorrect for the game but correct if you don't sit with the steering wheel pressed into your chest and your nose 1.cm away from the windscreen  anyway I completed a time after being absolutely full on it in full rain conditions , windscreen wipers on , head lights , on underpants on ( and still could barely see where I was going) and I don't hang about , anyway I got the usual notification that I wasn't cheating enough and so  I finished in 1200th place or whatever . With this in mind I thought I'd try a different camera view so I chose the preferred view 'bonnet cam' and bizarrely it was only spitting  rain in this camera view and I could see the stage as if it wasn't raining , I thrashed through the stage at warp speed and was informed at the finish that I still wasn't cheating enough but I had knocked 1 minute 9 seconds off my previous time which I know isn't that much but it did show that changing your Camera view can be worth the effort .........I still only managed to end up in 1,199 th place though ( of course) . its all very strange , my times were around the 10 min mark for the long stage .....top of the leader board had managed to do the job in 4 mins 9seconds which would have been unlikely on the stage in dry clear conditions , but of course winning is everything and Lance Armstrong is a great champion.   "Carry on Competing"........ Oooooooh Nnnowhhh , Stop it !!

On 10/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, ReimvomSchleim said:

I very very much like this one... 

i would prefer cockpit.  But even though removing the column helps... I still find the halo annoying.. just another thing F1 drivers seem to take in their stride.  I know over time we humans get used to pretty much everything to the point we don’t notice. (When I bought my first flat at 19.  It was less than 50 yards from the Southend-London line. One off the busiest commuter lines in the country.  People would be round and hear it and feel it as the whole flat would shake.. like a small earthquake. And they would ask how Can I put up with trains going past every ten minutes. To which my reply would be... Trains? What trains.) but how they get used to half their vision being completely impaired on a already impaired view is truly awesome 

all good bought it for  £19000. Sold it 6 years later for £120000.

then went to Australia for 2 months.  No crappy hostels for me 4 star and above and that was only cause 5 star wasn’t available.   Best 2 months off my life.  Those were the days <sigh>

Edited by ScaredDuck

@ReimvomSchleim

Seriously.. Thankyou.  I gave up on trying to find a camera angle I was really happy with.

Just used yours at Portugal. Was roughly 0.5 lap quicker.  As your setting is a apex magnet.. As I havnt raced Portugal that much.  I was off the pace off the ai.  But absolutely dominated.  True test will be Spain. If I do well there. I’ll have to bump the ai quite abit I think.

all settings are personal preference. So normally most settings and setups, I find posted by other people are either useless.  Or a base that needs a little tweaking. But yours feels bespoke to me.  That said did have to just the lateral offset to bring it dead centre.😁

ok update after 5 races:

spIn last chicane still a pain.  But everywhere else awesome.  I’m not 1/2 a second a lap quicker I’m more like a second quicker.  On every track.  

Cockpit view I had no problems hit brake, turning point and apex.  But because your field off vision is small and impaired.  Is annoying as I’m no f1 driver.

With default tv pod I often missed my line.  @PJTierney setups helped loads.  But I wasn’t 100% and whenever I tried to tweak them I just made things worse.

ice always been convinced there’s a sweet spot for camera settings and control inputs.  As camera adjustments change your view and thereby the turning axis.  As many settings I’ve played with had me braking to late to turn in or to early.

You my friend have found for me the holy grail.  And completely changed and it improved this game for me. 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

@ReimvomSchleim

Seriously.. Thankyou.  I gave up on trying to find a camera angle I was really happy with.

Just used yours at Portugal. Was roughly 0.5 lap quicker.  As your setting is a apex magnet.. As I havnt raced Portugal that much.  I was off the pace off the ai.  But absolutely dominated.  True test will be Spain. If I do well there. I’ll have to bump the ai quite abit I think.

all settings are personal preference. So normally most settings and setups, I find posted by other people are either useless.  Or a base that needs a little tweaking. But yours feels bespoke to me.  That said did have to just the lateral offset to bring it dead centre.😁

ok update after 5 races:

spIn last chicane still a pain.  But everywhere else awesome.  I’m not 1/2 a second a lap quicker I’m more like a second quicker.  On every track.  

Cockpit view I had no problems hit brake, turning point and apex.  But because your field off vision is small and impaired.  Is annoying as I’m no f1 driver.

With default tv pod I often missed my line.  @PJTierney setups helped loads.  But I wasn’t 100% and whenever I tried to tweak them I just made things worse.

ice always been convinced there’s a sweet spot for camera settings and control inputs.  As camera adjustments change your view and thereby the turning axis.  As many settings I’ve played with had me braking to late to turn in or to early.

You my friend have found for me the holy grail.  And completely changed and it improved this game for me. 

Fantastic to hear, so happy for you man. I didn't expect this to happen but glad I could help one person enjoy this game so much more.

As I already mentioned this camera angle helped me a lot, in terms of pace, consistency and track limits. The main difference between TV pod and TV pod offset seems to be under braking tho, as the camera movement seems to change under braking (basically no movement under braking with TV pod offset from my experience)

I saw my picture can't be opened any more, there seems to be an issue with the page I uploaded them to. Hope it gets fixed

6 minutes ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

Fantastic to hear, so happy for you man. I didn't expect this to happen but glad I could help one person enjoy this game so much more.

As I already mentioned this camera angle helped me a lot, in terms of pace, consistency and track limits. The main difference between TV pod and TV pod offset seems to be under braking tho, as the camera movement seems to change under braking (basically no movement under braking with TV pod offset from my experience)

I saw my picture can't be opened any more, there seems to be an issue with the page I uploaded them to. Hope it gets fixed

Honestly I’ve been on huge session. Ten 50% races and every race I’m faster and it’s quite clearly the camera is the reason, as I’m hitting pretty much every braking point and nailing the apex. 

Think the height helps but I think it’s the perception you get from where its position is on the car.

if I drive any racing game in chase view I tend to brake and turn to early. And in nose camera I tend to brake and turn late.

Im not a racing driver but i am a professional driver.  And I guessed muscle memory or learned behaviour.  I needed the same sort off perspective I’m used to.  And your camera does it 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone, I’m back with Part 2, which is my camera settings view I use while racing. After a lot of trail and error, I think I’ve found something that is a unique angle, and quite immersive. It’s sort of a hybrid between T-Cam and cockpit, and I can’t really race with anything else anymore. Settings are below:

I like to limit camera movement and shake, especially in Race. I want to know what I’m seeing, and the movement, although compromises realism, is my preferred setting.

Adding the On-screen display and the Virtual Rear View Mirror renders my side mirrors irrelevant, and lets me get closer in the cockpit. I race on a TMX wheel, so the closer I can get, the more involved I feel.

This is how it looks in session. Virtual Rear View mirror is in the halo, I can see all of the track, and feel close enough to the action. I also move non-essential elements into spots that are out of the way, as being able to see as much of the track is key. There are a few tweaks to camera angle and vertical to find the right balance per car.

So there it is, my camera angle I use for testing and racing. Show us your camera angles you use and test mine out to see if you like it. Its for sure not the best in the Community, but I feel involved in this one, and that’s all that matters for me in a Friday race session. As always, please post your own, any further tweaks I could make, and add pictures to compare 👍

Many thanks,

Barry.

@BarryBL

Very nice, I'm testing your settings for the cockpit view this evening.

Two questions please:

Do you use your cockpit view settings for each team, or do you have to change the settings slightly depending on the team?

And when do you plan to release Part 3? I would be very interested in your steering wheel settings.

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Magic1111 said:

@BarryBL

Very nice, I'm testing your settings for the cockpit view this evening.

Two questions please:

Do you use your cockpit view settings for each team, or do you have to change the settings slightly depending on the team?

And when do you plan to release Part 3? I would be very interested in your steering wheel settings.

Thanks for the feedback.  Answers of your questions:

• I use this across all teams, but I do race in a Ferrari in my Career mode and my league, so also use them for testing at the moment.
  • Planning to do my wheel settings tomorrow. 
  • Thanks 1

• Social Media & Community Team
On 10/15/2021 at 12:26 PM, BarryBL said:

20211015122026_1.jpg

Have you messed about with the Dashboard in the HUD, by moving it above the steering wheel?

I have it above the halo when in TV-Pod view and it really helps me focus on the road as I don't have to look all the way down at the bottom of the screen.

Given it's the same into on the steering wheel it's a bit of a moot point, but worth trying out 🙂 

19 hours ago, BarryBL said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Answers of your questions:

• I use this across all teams, but I do race in a Ferrari in my Career mode and my league, so also use them for testing at the moment.
  • Planning to do my wheel settings tomorrow. 

I tested yesterday evening your cockpitview settings from post #1 of this thread, and I must say, they are the best settings I`ve ever use! I love it!

I use it now with Alpha Tauri/Red Bull in my career.

Should you optimize the settings again during the course of the game, or change / adapt them slightly for different teams, would you then post these settings here?

Thanks in forward, and I´m looking forward to see your wheel settings. ☺️

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Magic1111 said:

I tested yesterday evening your cockpitview settings from post #1 of this thread, and I must say, they are the best settings I`ve ever use! I love it!

I use it now with Alpha Tauri/Red Bull in my career.

Should you optimize the settings again during the course of the game, or change / adapt them slightly for different teams, would you then post these settings here?

Thanks in forward, and I´m looking forward to see your wheel settings. ☺️

Of course, thanks for the top feedback. I used it with AT last year in the Forum Championship, and it worked quite well. There's always a few tweaks you can do for personal preference, but the basis is there.

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
On 10/28/2021 at 3:46 PM, Exasperated said:

There's a joke in there that's far too childish for me to communicate, but you can all see it 😛 

Yeah, the halo column really doesn't agree with me, I like the old school view. Halo in real life - Wonderful. Halo in-game - I just couldn't adapt, so got it gone 🙂  

6 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Of course, thanks for the top feedback. I used it with AT last year in the Forum Championship, and it worked quite well. There's always a few tweaks you can do for personal preference, but the basis is there.

The only thing I did was to switched off the OSD in Cockpitview, because in my opinion I can read everything from the steering wheel display. And I don't think it's so nice to have a double display with the same information (on the steering wheel and the OSD).

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 11:18 AM, BarryBL said:

There's a joke in there that's far too childish for me to communicate, but you can all see it 😛 

Yeah, the halo column really doesn't agree with me, I like the old school view. Halo in real life - Wonderful. Halo in-game - I just couldn't adapt, so got it gone 🙂  

Too much influence  of Benny Hill and Carry on films I'm afraid , its that era thing , still its probably better than todays influences;  although neither are very palatable to any connoisseurs out there.

I think your drivers view is an excellent example to wheel users , I'm not happy about you flouting  the rules about the halo strut obviously ;  as it improves your view but other than that superb although I'm still smarting from being punished for being naughty , you're very strict with the rules but not so much with the halo strut , remember God is watching and atonement will be inevitable. Happy racing !!      Regards Your Uncle Bingo.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, Exasperated said:

Too much influence  of Benny Hill and Carry on films I'm afraid , its that era thing , still its probably better than todays influences;  although neither are very palatable to any connoisseurs out there.

I think your drivers view is an excellent example to wheel users , I'm not happy about you flouting  the rules about the halo strut obviously ;  as it improves your view but other than that superb although I'm still smarting from being punished for being naughty , you're very strict with the rules but not so much with the halo strut , remember God is watching and atonement will be inevitable. Happy racing !!      Regards Your Uncle Bingo.

I think your funny😂

• 3 weeks later...

So after some tinkering with the offset camera I’ve come up with this.

Find as I have a slight issue with depth perception increase the height off the camera then angle in down just so the tip off my nose is poking out infront off the halo helps with my perception issues and also helps hit my braking, turn in and apex with a lot more accuracy. 

Also I find in my team as you get towards max upgrades.  I increase Field off view to help offset the performance increase.

CDB1FF03-33FE-4DCF-BD15-0D4E7CF60716.jpeg

39F44000-9A27-45E3-9D9F-141CC148AC28.jpeg

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2021 at 6:15 PM, ScaredDuck said:

I very very much like this one... 

i would prefer cockpit.  But even though removing the column helps... I still find the halo annoying.. just another thing F1 drivers seem to take in their stride.  I know over time we humans get used to pretty much everything to the point we don’t notice. (When I bought my first flat at 19.  It was less than 50 yards from the Southend-London line. One off the busiest commuter lines in the country.  People would be round and hear it and feel it as the whole flat would shake.. like a small earthquake. And they would ask how Can I put up with trains going past every ten minutes. To which my reply would be... Trains? What trains.) but how they get used to half their vision being completely impaired on a already impaired view is truly awesome 

all good bought it for  £19000. Sold it 6 years later for £120000.

then went to Australia for 2 months.  No crappy hostels for me 4 star and above and that was only cause 5 star wasn’t available.   Best 2 months off my life.  Those were the days <sigh>

Dude you use a pad don't you ,,its hard enough as it is without going to cockpit view  ( proper **** pit view not **** view , as in that fish eye lens effect with arms and legs like inspector gadget so you can see the mirrors nonsense) makes perfect sense when you are on a wheel as long as you have a 30" odd inch screen set at eye level and less than a metre away so you get a proper connection visually , sat 4m away from an 80" screen resting the wheel base on your knees and the pedal set sliding around on the carpet like some people do just makes using a wheel pointless. Regarding Halo , when you get used to it , and with the strut in the way , after a very short time you forget it is even there. I am speaking from experience.

https://youtu.be/hgFTKuWWYhQ you did well on that flat , it doesn't look much. London uses notional values of course so anything goes.

P.S you don't look anything like how I imagined you to be.

Edited by Exasperated
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Dude you use a pad don't you ,,its hard enough as it is without going to cockpit view  ( proper **** pit view not **** view , as in that fish eye lens effect with arms and legs like inspector gadget so you can see the mirrors nonsense) makes perfect sense when you are on a wheel as long as you have a 30" odd inch screen set at eye level and less than a metre away so you get a proper connection visually , sat 4m away from an 80" screen resting the wheel base on your knees and the pedal set sliding around on the carpet like some people do just makes using a wheel pointless. Regarding Halo , when you get used to it , and with the strut in the way , after a very short time you forget it is even there. I am speaking from experience.

https://youtu.be/hgFTKuWWYhQ you did well on that flat , it doesn't look much. London uses notional values of course so anything goes.

P.S you don't look anything like how I imagined you to be.

Some say your a controversial fellow.  But I just think your wit is to clever for them 😁

I bought my flat when the housing market was rock bottom and basically the day I moved in house prices starting going up and still havnt stopped 

Edited by ScaredDuck

• 4 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 12:26 PM, BarryBL said:

20211015120751_1.jpg

20211015121236_1.jpg

20211015122026_1.jpg

20210929171502_1.jpg

Many thanks,

Barry.

Wow Barry, how on earth did I miss this thread?? I have to say your cockpit camera settings are absolutely ace and should easily be the default out the box for this game. Only minor change I made was pushed the field of view forward a touch to -2, as some cars such as the Ferrari seem to be set slightly further back than others. Looks awesome though 👍  We should partition to have these as the default for F1 22 in cockpit cam, providing the settings out the box aren’t too different to F1 2021. 

Many thanks.