DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[OFFTOPIC] Licences and rally games

:neutral: 
 That's my face when i saw this video
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJLjhKXnqc

Why the arcade game "SLRally EVO" have the best licences of the one of the most good rally cars in the world? Mitsubishi, Toyota, Subaru, Renault... comeon, that's not good for us (players of DR), i really hope that Mitsubishi and Toyota allows  dev's to put his amazing cars in the best game of rally!!
What do you think? You would accept to pay 1 DLC for all Toyota cars for example? 

It's much easier to use resources to acquire licenses than making a good game. And at the (unless you don't really care), it's the good game we all going to play.
I doubt that Codies will consider DLC for DR, this will really complicate things for leagues and the online events.

Lets get things straight.Licensing is 90% percent money,5% brand marketing and 5% PR and other reasons.Every license(YES,EVEN PORSCHE) is available for the right price.There is a brand thing (like BMW and Ford) who have no problems handing out licenses for marketing and brand recognision.And last,PR and others like Kunos and Ferrari for national issues or a few years ago Simbin-Volvo.In a nutshell if CM didnt put millions upon millions on F1 they would have been able to snatch every manufacturer license outthere.My 2 cents.

that video....

how to show something without showing anything...¿?¿?¿?

did you noticed? you cant see a single car landing afer a jump. Whats wrong when the car takes ground? :)

A car about to get damage -> cut
A car about to oversteer -> cut
A car about to rollover -> cut 

whats goin on here?

And yeah... the licensing they have.. meh.. I just hope they can take some advantage from it and do something decent.

Fur Coat - No Knickers....

Looks the part, BUT handles like Milestones finest

If all the Dirt Rally lovers filled in the survey, they might reconsider to continue working on the title with DLC's for example.
Although I'd like to see them use Dirt Rally as a platform for a future build.

"Dirt Rally is what we can do with the resources and time we have right now, but we can do better if..."

Hopefully after the survey CM will conclude that many of us want more Dirt Rally or a new and improved version of it and therefore give the Dirt Team more funding, resources and time. And why not offer a way for the community to help out in the form of crowdfunding. I believe many of us would donate money to the Dirt Team for the development of the 'ultimate' rally game, the reason being that the Dirt Team listens to what we want and use our ideas. We know that with the right funding and resources they would deliver a stunning product. And if possible continue improving and expanding the game after its actual release if CM allows them to do that.

This was slightly off topic but still.. Food for thought!

snip...

meerkat80 said:

I doubt that Codies will consider DLC for DR, this will really complicate things for leagues and the online events.
Well i hope they really do consider it, because with the amount of stages we have right now(sweden coming).
This Rally game is already dead for me with no DLC stages packs.

snip...

SimVansevenant said:

And why not offer a way for the community to help out in the form of crowdfunding. I believe many of us would donate money to the Dirt Team for the development of the 'ultimate' rally game...
Absolutely...  +1

Codies where is the Crowdfunding button, so that i can donate to get the ultimate Rally Sim with very long stages and great physics.

paulieGTR said:
meerkat80 said:

Well i hope they really do consider it, because with the amount of stages we have(sweden coming) right now.
This Rally game is already dead for me with no DLC track packs.
I don't think so, just we need to wait until the multiplayer of Rally comes out. The multiplayer of rallycross is fun and the leagues are good for me, remember, the game still in early access! :smirk: 

paulieGTR said:

Well i hope they really do consider it, because with the amount of stages we have right now(sweden coming).

That's a bit harsh. I'll continue playing this for a long time until something else comes along that is better.
It's a game where challenging yourself to get better is rewarding.

SimVansevenant said:
paulieGTR said:

That's a bit harsh. I'll continue playing this for a long time until something else comes along that is better.
It's a game where challenging yourself to get better is rewarding.
Yeah, i didn't mean to sound harsh.
But there just isn't enough stages(12 and reversed) for a Rally title.

I bought into DR because codies stated they were going back to CMR roots.
So far i've saw a glimpse of what could be, but then they started adding other modes.

Don't get me wrong...
I wanna support them big time, but there just isn't enough to keep me coming back for more in the future.

Anyways to quote myself, i think you may have missed it because i was editing my post while i think, you were replying. :)
paulieGTR said:
snip...

snip...

SimVansevenant said:

And why not offer a way for the community to help out in the form of crowdfunding. I believe many of us would donate money to the Dirt Team for the development of the 'ultimate' rally game...
Absolutely...  +1

Codies where is the Crowdfunding button, so that i can donate to get the ultimate Rally Sim with very long stages and great physics.

games dont want to last long now in business.

if you make a too good game then you may still be playing that the next year so might not buy the new one.so many now just do just enough .

the thing is.....

if you make one monster just superb game and really go to town on it you could make more on that just selling really well that two or three subpar games.

i think dirt rally could just add content and just keep growing set price to like 30-40 and leave it at that .

in one years time if there is a dirt rally 2 would it be worth buying ? seeing as it takes 2-3 years to make a decent game .

so i think just pile everything into this game make it the best possible with everything in and just grow it.once this hits consoles i can see probably 2 million maybe 3 million sales if its marketed right and more stuff added.

as for the other games who cares they suck if we honest.what challenges is there from any decent car games recent ? only assetto really. all rest are subpar.

would i buy dlc for dirt rally ? probably yes but....remember when this game was launched it gave the impression of all content would be included to many gamers. once its released if you add extras on some will be pissed as when a company does this it feels like you only gave half of the content.

give it all keep a good price make it legendary. its already one of the best rally games ever make it even better.

as for licenses what do codies want to do ? tbh what better platform is there for them than rally ? F1 is seen by many as boring in comparison.

i would try to get all the licenses and build the rally as the priority project.

dvx91 said:
Why codemasters not considering ERC license? 
+1
ERC almost never comes up in rally games, it's always the same WRC stuff

dvx91 said:
Why codemasters not considering ERC license? 
I said that but nobody were really interested in it, i think, ERC license would be really beneficial for DiRT Rally in Licensing cars

The IRC license from 4-7 years ago would have been a great license to have and add to Dirt Rally.
Nowadays the ERC is but a glympse of what it used to be back in 2008-2011 when it was called the IRC.

The entire ERC programme isn't popular amongst manufacturers and top drivers anymore . It's just about two drivers in the top class: Breen and Kajetanowicz. They're all privateers except for Breen who drives the 'official' Peugeot Rally Academy. Every rally it's Breen and Kajetanowicz against local stars. The next rally it's again Breen and Kajetanowicz against a new bunch of local stars.

I want to go back to the days where Meeke, Hanninen, Loix, Kopecky, Basso, Rossetti and many more battled for the title the whole season!

The IRC license from 4-7 years ago would have been a great license to have and add to Dirt Rally.
Nowadays the ERC is but a glympse of what it used to be back in 2008-2011 when it was called the IRC.

The entire ERC programme isn't popular amongst manufacturers and top drivers anymore . It's just about two drivers in the top class: Breen and Kajetanowicz. They're all privateers except for Breen who drives the 'official' Peugeot Rally Academy. Every rally it's Breen and Kajetanowicz against local stars. The next rally it's again Breen and Kajetanowicz against a new bunch of local stars.

I want to go back to the days where Meeke, Hanninen, Loix, Kopecky, Basso, Rossetti and many more battled for the title the whole season!
But the thing with ERC is not to have the drivers, it is that it will help DiRT Rally in its weak point, The Licenses, having with ERC the licenses of all the Rc2 cars, all the Rc3 cars and Rc4 cars would be great, not to race against craig and kajto

In a way you have a point. But if they want the ERC license, they can't just use the cars I presume. If they only want the cars, they need to go to the manufacturers.
Nope but they make a Championship with some ERC locations and the cars and thats it we have the cars, they can merge the ERC in their career mode, they include barum rally, Açores or estonia or any other rally which all are great and we will have some awesome locations, a bunch of new cars and a better career mode

All the licences would be nice, but Codemasters have some tough decision to make as to how to get the money to fund the sort of rally game that has all the licenses and is the standard in racing. Paying once for a whole game is a poor model because, it makes it unfeasible to improve the game without additional funding, DLC isn't a great option because it makes the buy in for new players unattractive and shrinks the new sales as more DLC comes out, and a continual subscription is similarly too big a commitment for new people to get involved.

They need to figure out a way for the committed people who use Dirt Rally as a hobby and want to pay more to be able to contribute AND get something in return other than the basic improvements that the base player base should be entitled to. A small buy in with trivial stuff to pay for that the committed people will buy seems a popular model at the moment, but it would not be as easy to apply to this game.

We know it's not as simple as just getting the license for a series, saying as DiRT Rally has the official FIA WRX license, but doesn't have a license to use all of the cars that participate, in particular the Audi S1

BrySkye said:
We know it's not as simple as just getting the license for a series, saying as DiRT Rally has the official FIA WRX license, but doesn't have a license to use all of the cars that participate, in particular the Audi S1
Yes, but fía rx its really different in terms of teams than fía ERC, the rx teams want money, the ERC guys will be really happy to have their Car in game, and teams also would not have problems, as they arent factory teams(only peugeot that is partial) are own teams.

paulieGTR said:

Yeah I agree. If they did a crowdfunding campaign it would probably be very successful since they've already shown what they can do.

Also, I agree with what DG said. I want a game that's developed and supported over a long period of time like iRacing is. If that means I have to pay a subrsciption fee, or buy DLCs, or donate to a crowdfunding campaign then I'm fine with that because I know I'll be getting a game that's 5x better than anything else on the market.

BrySkye said:
Yes, but fía rx its really different in terms of teams than fía ERC, the rx teams want money, the ERC guys will be really happy to have their Car in game, and teams also would not have problems, as they arent factory teams(only peugeot that is partial) are own teams.
And, as such, they don't have the right to license the cars.

I do love the ERC though, great events.

Anyway, got to go, Valais Shakedown is about to get under way in front of me ;)

I'd love to see them recreate the stages from ERC rallies. Some of them are spectacular and hugely challenging.
SATA Rallye Açores has amazing stages as does the Circuit of Ireland, the Barum Rally, etc. 
I live near Ypres and the Ypres Rally is a great event with challenging fast and narrow stages where cutting is an art.

That's also what I meant regarding the licenses for cars. Because they're privateers the cars won't be included in the license. In other words they need to go to the manufacturers in order to secure the cars.