Jump to content Jump to content

Help on Belgium turns 2-4


Recommended Posts

Beginner question.  Going through the uphill portion of Belgium I keep on losing control of the car and crashing.  Cannot tell if it is a car setup or racing line problem.  I am using the general car setup called "increased speed" after finding this recommended on a subreddit.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Maybe turning steering wheel too hard into these turns?  This is in practice by the way, I have been unable to get good enough to make it to a real race with other cars yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Super finesse and perfect line is required.  Or lift off before you go up the hill then power!!! Up it.  Or change setup I highly recommend looking here.   These setups are for wheel but work well for controller.  https://simracingsetup.com/category/f1-2021-game/

setups are a very personal thing... these may not suit you but provide a good base

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the increased speed default is the one that reduces downforce on the car so you go faster in a straight line? If so then naturally you're going to find that uphill section more tricky but generally the key is to do as little turning as possible. Line the car up to make that whole section as straight as you can with only the tiniest steering required.

Any jerky turns are going to cause the back to come spinning round as we've all experienced probbaly once or twice. Try doing it in practice just slow to get the line right then get faster as you get used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team

Normally what causes cars to go off through Eau Rouge and Radillon is the ride height. If you have it too low you'll bottom out at the crest of the hill and lose rear grip.

Up the Ride Height a little and see if that makes a difference.

Other than that it could be an imbalance of wing settings (not enough rear downforce compared to front) but I'd try Ride Height first.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly also the steering input, if you are playing on controller its fairly easy to steer just a bit too much and get oversteering that way

Edit: I should start to finish reading first before writing lol, even on steering wheel you can turn too much but id advice trying all things especially what PJTierney said

Edited by Meza994
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cyberdude450 said:

Beginner question.  Going through the uphill portion of Belgium I keep on losing control of the car and crashing.  Cannot tell if it is a car setup or racing line problem.  I am using the general car setup called "increased speed" after finding this recommended on a subreddit.  Any tips would be appreciated.  Maybe turning steering wheel too hard into these turns?  This is in practice by the way, I have been unable to get good enough to make it to a real race with other cars yet.

Try this setup here: https://simracingsetup.com/f1-2021-game/f1-2021-belgium-gp-setup-guide/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, @Cyberdude450! If you could upload a clip of you driving there it would help. Guys got you covered already on the setup, but your line is just as important.

The immediate hotfix would be the suggested by @ScaredDuck. Even a partial lift off the throttle would help immensely with taming the car. You could go on this way, lifting less and less while you adjust your line until you find your sweet spot. 

To take it flat out, assuming you have a good enough setup, the steering is very minimal. From the top of my head, I don't even flick the analog stick past the 2 or 10 o'clock right/left respectively. Straighten your line through it as much as possible.

It's a tough series of corners mostly because of the elevation changes of the track, your grip is going up and down like crazy so you really need to nail your entry. Your budget for adjustments once you're in the hill is severely diminished. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

What @PJTierneysays makes perfect sense as the option your picking in default setups height setting is 2-6.  Try 3-7,  which I use on just about every track without issue.  Try 2.8 front camber and 1.6-1.8 rear

and if your using controller increase steering linearity in controller options to 50

Forgot about ride height on this track.

Brake bias is 100/56 in this preset to high imo

Also change your rear tire pressures, go all the way to the right.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2021 at 11:43 AM, Badmayhem said:

Forgot about ride height on this track.

Brake bias is 100/56 in this preset to high imo

Also change your rear tire pressures, go all the way to the right.

I was not able to take eau rouge flat out until I made suspension changes.

I had a lot of success running a stiffer front suspension and slightly stiffer front arb than rear arb.  This reduced oversteer in this section as long as my steering input was smooth.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gatorlb said:

I was not able to take eau rouge flat out until I made suspension changes.

I had a lot of success running a stiffer front suspension and slightly stiffer front arb than rear arb.  This reduced oversteer in this section as long as my steering input was smooth.  

See now I prefer a slightly stiffer rear suspension to help prevent bottoming out.  But I tend to run less front camber and more rear

Setups are truly a personal thing

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, gatorlb said:

I was not able to take eau rouge flat out until I made suspension changes.

I had a lot of success running a stiffer front suspension and slightly stiffer front arb than rear arb.  This reduced oversteer in this section as long as my steering input was smooth.  

More than one way to skin a cat!

Cyberdude is running preset 4 which has lower tire pressure in the rear than front which can cause major oversteer by itself. Even if he changes ride height or what you do he is still going to have problems. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone I really appreciate all of the advice!  I did switch to the normal car setup which helped.  Still crashed a few times in practice, but completed enough laps to make it to race day and came in 8th with McLaren.  Next time I will try the car setups recommended above.  It is hard to hit a precise racing line with a 360 pad.  Maybe I should try a PS4 controller with its gyroscope for more accurate steering.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cyberdude450 said:

Hey everyone I really appreciate all of the advice!  I did switch to the normal car setup which helped.  Still crashed a few times in practice, but completed enough laps to make it to race day and came in 8th with McLaren.  Next time I will try the car setups recommended above.  It is hard to hit a precise racing line with a 360 pad.  Maybe I should try a PS4 controller with its gyroscope for more accurate steering.

A cheap fix is precision rings by Kontolfreak. They are design to help aiming and work well in F1 to make the micro adjustments easier. I used them on the Xbox one in 2020. The pac I got has 2 strengths medium and hard of which I used the hards. 

Should be able to find at your local game store or Amazon.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...