Jump to content Jump to content

F1 2021 | Barrys Basics | Wheel Setup and Calibration

BarryBL

• Administrator

Barrys Basics | Part Three | My Wheel Configuration and Settings

Welcome to Part 3 of ‘Barrys Basics’. This time I am going over my in-game wheel settings and why I use them. As always, feel free to post your own, try these out and let me know if there are any improvements or recommendations you have.

Wheel Configuration (Thrustmaster TMX)

For basic settings on the wheel, I have lowered the degrees of rotation to between 280 - 300, as I prefer its feel and more alive turn in.

tmx.PNG 

Monaco is the exception here, as it needs its own ‘steering rack’ as such, and I lower to around 240. I am also average when I get to Monaco, so take this advice with a pinch of salt.

My In-game Wheel Settings

20211103170716_1.jpg

These are my standard in-game settings for the wheel. Something that is usually overlooked by the Community is the ‘Vibration and Force Feedback Strength’. Having it at 100+ can cause some clipping issues and not run in an ideal experience, as well as taking your hands on a rough adventure! I run mine on 60, which eliminates clipping and is smooth enough. Take it from someone who drives a low, rear wheel drive sports car in real-life, feeling every bump can sometimes be the worst thing in the world! Also, lower setting takes less energy out of you, and results in a far more consistent experience in race trim.

Same story with the rumble strip effects. It was reported this year that users were really struggling with them and, as well as being a little gentle on them and increasing your ride height in setup, having them turned down a bit really helps. I still spin mind! Kerbs can be quite challenging, especially if you have ever been to outdoor go kart track in real life. Running on those too much will cost you a trip to the dentist.

My Calibration:

20211103170657_1.jpg

Above are my current calibration settings. These get a LOT of tweaking race by race, and how careful on my right foot I can be. I have added this to combat two things:

·         Front end responsiveness, as I make some mistakes at times on turn in.

·         My trigger-happy right foot. I am left footed at football and rarely floor my car IRL, so it does not get a lot of training of finesse.

Again, disclaimer on these as they take a lot of tweaking to consider how I am driving and feeling.

So, these are my current settings in races. I like them a lot as they seem to contribute largely to my increase in consistency and are comfortable to drive longer distances (like in tests and league races for example). Try them out, let me know what you think!

• Thanks 2

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Magic1111 said:

Wonderful, many thanks for share your settings with us.

One question straight away: Why do you have disable the understeer enhance? What is the difference between understeer enhance switched on and switched off?

Understeer Enhance exaggerates the feeling of understeer. No reason for me to have that when I can notice it anyway. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Hi , i have a fanatec gt wheel , i cant see any wheel options at all in the controller options on ps5 , any one know of a bug or available update all videos i have seen show wheel options , i cant see any just controller  ? 

• 2 months later...

I've raced the F1 series on my XB1 for many years with Thrustmaster wheels and pedals.  I'm jealous of additional one-button commands that PS and PC users have available to them and am thinking of switching platforms to get access to these.  I'm asking PC and PS users what are the additional commands that you can activate from your wheel.  I'm looking for things like Diff +/-, Brake Bias +/-, and calls to Jeff on race situation.

Thanks, Bob

With a PS 4 (PS5 is probably identical) you can do what you are wanting to do and more but the only trouble is that you are limited to choices by the number of assignable buttons even if you have an F1 style wheel with Rotary thumb wheels and multiple switches as some of them are just doubled up due to the number of available  buttons there are on a PS controller. Its very good but if you want to assign many things then I suppose that you will need to go the PC route so you will have to get that information from a PC user if they turn up with the info. It will also depend on your budgie and how loud it can chirp as to the availability of buttons that actually work on the wheel you buy.

4 hours ago, Explorer said:

I've raced the F1 series on my XB1 for many years with Thrustmaster wheels and pedals.  I'm jealous of additional one-button commands that PS and PC users have available to them and am thinking of switching platforms to get access to these.  I'm asking PC and PS users what are the additional commands that you can activate from your wheel.  I'm looking for things like Diff +/-, Brake Bias +/-, and calls to Jeff on race situation.

Thanks, Bob

Hola Kettle, I didn't quote when I answered , just a notification or it'll get lost in a blizzard of posts.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 2:18 PM, BarryBL said:

Barrys Basics | Part Three | My Wheel Configuration and Settings

Welcome to Part 3 of ‘Barrys Basics’. This time I am going over my in-game wheel settings and why I use them. As always, feel free to post your own, try these out and let me know if there are any improvements or recommendations you have.

Wheel Configuration (Thrustmaster TMX)

For basic settings on the wheel, I have lowered the degrees of rotation to between 280 - 300, as I prefer its feel and more alive turn in.

tmx.PNG 

Monaco is the exception here, as it needs its own ‘steering rack’ as such, and I lower to around 240. I am also average when I get to Monaco, so take this advice with a pinch of salt.

My In-game Wheel Settings

20211103170716_1.jpg

These are my standard in-game settings for the wheel. Something that is usually overlooked by the Community is the ‘Vibration and Force Feedback Strength’. Having it at 100+ can cause some clipping issues and not run in an ideal experience, as well as taking your hands on a rough adventure! I run mine on 60, which eliminates clipping and is smooth enough. Take it from someone who drives a low, rear wheel drive sports car in real-life, feeling every bump can sometimes be the worst thing in the world! Also, lower setting takes less energy out of you, and results in a far more consistent experience in race trim.

Same story with the rumble strip effects. It was reported this year that users were really struggling with them and, as well as being a little gentle on them and increasing your ride height in setup, having them turned down a bit really helps. I still spin mind! Kerbs can be quite challenging, especially if you have ever been to outdoor go kart track in real life. Running on those too much will cost you a trip to the dentist.

My Calibration:

20211103170657_1.jpg

Above are my current calibration settings. These get a LOT of tweaking race by race, and how careful on my right foot I can be. I have added this to combat two things:

·         Front end responsiveness, as I make some mistakes at times on turn in.

·         My trigger-happy right foot. I am left footed at football and rarely floor my car IRL, so it does not get a lot of training of finesse.

Again, disclaimer on these as they take a lot of tweaking to consider how I am driving and feeling.

So, these are my current settings in races. I like them a lot as they seem to contribute largely to my increase in consistency and are comfortable to drive longer distances (like in tests and league races for example). Try them out, let me know what you think!

Just for comparison this is interesting as Barrys TX servo ; same power out put as My T300RS on a PS4 ; basically the same servo , one for Xbox one compatability the other for PS compatability.

My FFB settings for F1 2021 are as follows top to bottom 125 ; 95 ; 60 ; 40 ; 15 ; OFF (WTH is this Supposed to replicate because it sure isn't breakaway , it simulates disconnecting the power from the FFB motor as far as I can feel.) 360 degrees even at Monaco circuit. 

My settings give ZERO clipping and ZERO FFB fade over constant racing (NO Breaks) for more than 1.5 hours at a time. What's going on here then ?

18 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Just for comparison this is interesting as Barrys TX servo ; same power out put as My T300RS on a PS4 ; basically the same servo , one for Xbox one compatability the other for PS compatability.

My FFB settings for F1 2021 are as follows top to bottom 125 ; 95 ; 60 ; 40 ; 15 ; OFF (WTH is this Supposed to replicate because it sure isn't breakaway , it simulates disconnecting the power from the FFB motor as far as I can feel.) 360 degrees even at Monaco circuit. 

My settings give ZERO clipping and ZERO FFB fade over constant racing (NO Breaks) for more than 1.5 hours at a time. What's going on here then ?

A TMX and a T300 are not the same animal, regardless of platform. TMX not TX.

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

A TMX and a T300 are not the same animal, regardless of platform. TMX not TX.

Yeah I knew it is the equivalent to the T150 when I was composing the piece , its just hard to understand what Barry is doing using a Fisher price wheel.

Just now, Exasperated said:

Yeah I knew it is the equivalent to the T150 when I was composing the piece , its just hard to understand what Barry is doing using a Fisher price wheel.

His job. Maybe it was provided, maybe not 😄

If you're fast, you can be fast with many wheels. It's more about the pedals TBF, and the TMX can use any of the Thrustmaster pedals. I know he goes between XB and PC so cheap is good.

• Like 1

Just now, AyrtonSenna5052 said:

the force feedback at 60% fades I had to lower the force feedback to 40%

Dude that really sucks , I would be looking at another platform and wheel combo , all that money spent on your kit and you are restricted to 40% while playing.

4 minutes ago, Exasperated said:

Dude that really sucks , I would be looking at another platform and wheel combo , all that money spent on your kit and you are restricted to 40% while playing.

I know, but as long as it works it's fine with me and more than 40% is good I think

Just now, steviejay69 said:

His job. Maybe it was provided, maybe not 😄

If you're fast, you can be fast with many wheels. It's more about the pedals TBF, and the TMX can use any of the Thrustmaster pedals. I know he goes between XB and PC so cheap is good.

He can do what he likes of course , I'm always just joking around ; and of course some of the fastest sim racers on the planet drive using zero or very low force feedback levels at the wheel , there are a multitude of ways to use a force feed back wheel on the road to happiness. Its just the thought of the feel of that thin plastic wheel and its ease of flexing ...... gives me the shivers , Reminds me of that Fanatec CSR Forza wheel that was available years ago , it used to creak , oooooh not good. Any way Best wishes and happy racing to you. Regards Bingo.

• Administrator

It my personal wheel I've had for ages, about 4 years before I worked at Codies. I used to/still do play F1 games and racing games in general a lot, and wanted a wheel I could a) afford and justify the price and b)was a good enough size to fit in my flat. 

TMX is heavily underrated imo. Does the job for me. I'd like an update, but maybe when i get back in the office. The Ferrari F1 wheel Thrustmaster brought out looks really good, and as a Ferrari fan, would be something I want. 

• Administrator

If your happy that's all that matters. Happy racing . Regards.

Exactly this. If you find something you like, happy days. Feel free to share them here, as others may like it too. 

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

It my personal wheel I've had for ages, about 4 years before I worked at Codies. I used to/still do play F1 games and racing games in general a lot, and wanted a wheel I could a) afford and justify the price and b)was a good enough size to fit in my flat. 

TMX is heavily underrated imo. Does the job for me. I'd like an update, but maybe when i get back in the office. The Ferrari F1 wheel Thrustmaster brought out looks really good, and as a Ferrari fan, would be something I want. 

The reason why I made the observation about the wheel is that I thought with your job would come some perks such as being given/loaned  gaming hardware because of the tie ins you have with the wheel makers , was thrustmaster now with fanatec , these companies aren't exactly lacking in the money arena , anyway they are obviously tight so you end up buying your own gear , I have the PS version of that TMX wheel and it does the job that's for sure ; in some ways it can give sharper FFB   detail some times because its less smooth than the pricier kit , That TMX/T150 wheel servo needs to have the same quick change system that TM uses for wheel mounting on its bigger servo's and then light weight more rigid wheels available and it would be much better. They could do it but of course its price point stuff , having said that they did go for selling that wheel as a pro version with 3tpa pedal set. Anyway whatever you like , keep up the good work. But I am expecting you to have a Fanatec DD servo and F1 wheel next time you report of course. Regards Bingo.

• Administrator

"anyway they are obviously tight so you end up buying your own gear " - Not the case, had it for absolutely years, and brought it before I worked at Codies. Just I'm tight with my own money 😛 Have access to a plethora of options at the office, but we are working from home. The Fanatec gear is HEAVY, and space consuming, especially when its at a premium at home at the moment. 

"But I am expecting you to have a Fanatec DD servo and F1 wheel next time you report of course. Regards Bingo" - If I brought that home, the gf would not be impressed, and would wonder why we've not used that money it to go on holiday instead. Justified my BRZ purchase as "Well, i may as well get a nice car" . Balance, balance, balance 😛 

• Like 1

Just now, BarryBL said:

"anyway they are obviously tight so you end up buying your own gear " - Not the case, had it for absolutely years, and brought it before I worked at Codies. Just I'm tight with my own money 😛 Have access to a plethora of options at the office, but we are working from home. The Fanatec gear is HEAVY, and space consuming, especially when its at a premium at home at the moment. 

"But I am expecting you to have a Fanatec DD servo and F1 wheel next time you report of course. Regards Bingo" - If I brought that home, the gf would not be impressed, and would wonder why we've not used that money it to go on holiday instead. Justified my BRZ purchase as "Well, i may as well get a nice car" . Balance, balance, balance 😛 

That's the trouble with girlfriends ; they actually care about what you are doing , what you need is a wife then you can do whatever you want as long as you leave her alone.