Jump to content Jump to content

Failing to enter online lobbies results in unresponsive white screen

blindbirdCRO

Hello, I wrote to some of the threads here, I have problem with connecting to online lobbies; so let's start.

• A detailed description of the issue.
    • I'm unable to join in online game sessions, I'm able to join in some of them 1 of 20 or 30 lobbies I try to enter.. In friends lobbies when I try to join, in some of them I can enter in some of them I can't. I'll add the pictures of problem, I can see the lobbie capacity and the other can see when I try to join.  
  • Report Code
    • No report code.  My game version is 1.12.815237
  • Platform?
    • PC - Steam
  • Game-mode?
    • Online - Public, Friends lobbies
  • [ONLINE] The amount of players in your session? If you know the players forum username, please tag as many people who were in your session here.
    • Cannot say.
  • [ONLINE] Were you the host?
    • When I host, players can join to me; but I don't know if other players than mine friends. 
  • What troubleshooting have you tried? Please list everything you tried.
    • Rebooting PC and Steam Client.
    • Restarting router.
    • Trying new connection type ( wireless; cable ) 
    • Closing all unnecessary software at the background.
    • Run with anti-virus and firewall off.
    • Validating local files.
    • Reinstalling game.
    • Deleting save game, from directory and from main menu in game.
  • Any screenshots or video of the issue? Remember to add as unlisted if video via a third party. 
    • Yes
  • How do you make the problem happen? Please add a step-by-step guide here so we can replicate and get reported as quick as possible.
    • When I enter the game, and going to online games, I tried to enter directly like beginner races and can't connect; I try through browse games and the same problem happens there too. 

I hope we can make this game working; and playable, because now I think this game is pure waste of money now.. f1_prob_1.thumb.jpg.674fb7292e3464c72d2a0e92c753ddc0.jpgf1_prob_2.thumb.jpg.a85a9784412f8dea425c53d0bbb051f6.jpgf1_prob_3.thumb.jpg.02de1e362f75f7b8b0c0eb0991cc51c4.jpg

DxDiag.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
16 hours ago, blindbirdCRO said:

And after this so called update, still nothing with online gaming..

Some extra troubleshooting to do here, as the online services are working as expected:

• Have you enabled port forwarding?
  • Have you added the online exceptions to your firewall?
  • Are you running with 3rd party modifications to any part of the game?
  • How do other games perform online?
  • Are you trying to join a game via the 'browse' function so you can see all sessions. 

Port forward is enabled,

The ports from your post under connection issues; 

I have exepction on game and for the public and private networks;

Nothing is installed on game, neither mods or anything like that. Clean installed game;

Every other game I play is normal ( FH5 ; Apex; Warzone, LOL )

Yeah, I'm finding games through browse function and searching for the ones with the best "signal" 

I tried today to enter 3 online games and the white screen happened again, yesterday after that update first game ( white screen ) ; I wrote post then.

After doing some laps in time trial, I tried again and after few tries I entered lobby. But today I can't.

Now I tried when I was writing this to enter in 3 different lobbies, and I succeded to enter in the last one. The lobbies aren't full or anything.

@BarryBL ; 
Here is a thing; 

I created the online game, my friend joined on me and we play for about 30 minutes;

We have training now in our league game, and when I tried to join the same problem perssist; I can hear people inside the lobby, and they can see mine connection; 

I can send you print screen of me joining that lobby from my friend perspective..

• Codemasters Staff

Sorry - I see you have already commented in that thread and it didn't help. 😞

Looking at the above info, does it connect ok on the first connection attempt but then fail for subsequent session join attempts?

On 12/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, Hoo said:

Sorry - I see you have already commented in that thread and it didn't help. 😞

Looking at the above info, does it connect ok on the first connection attempt but then fail for subsequent session join attempts?

Sometimes it does connect on the first try, but in the most cases it doesn't.. But it is all okay when I connect to the 2 or 3 of mine friends lobby with no problem, but when I try to connect to the closed lobby, I get into the lobby, I can hear them talking but I can't connect; that is lobby through invite..
Same case is through the explore section for the lobbies.. 

I know that if there is problem with ports, or connection I couldn't connect to any lobby; but it is frustrating that I can connect to the some of them, and the most of them I can't. 

I can give you all the info you need, logs, etc..

Edited by blindbirdCRO

• Codemasters Staff

Thanks for the extra info. The symptoms you describe are very unusual and not something we have seen before - you proceed past the initial session joining flow but then it fails at the very last step, so you are not completing the join process. We aren't able to replicate this behaviour, so are trying to figure out what might need to happen to cause this type of failure. Are you able to clarify the following:

• Do you always fail to join certain player's sessions (like the RaZor and Dux examples above), or does it seem to be random? 
  • Are you able to join any other private sessions by invite, or does this always fail?
  • Please could you provide a report code next time you get a join failure? To find your report code, please go back to the main menu screen then enter the options menu and select Settings - the report code will be the 16-character code displayed in the bottom-left corner. We can use this code to find basic diagnotistic information. 

Yeah, they create closed lobbies, friend only; and I can't connect to them. That picture was from yesterday around 9'o clock in the evening; and I couldn't connect. But in I think 30 minutes, other friend made another lobby and I could connect to that lobby, if you need usernames of that players I can give it to you. Razor and Dux are admins of our league, and that was pratice race. But that other lobby was created by Darrian Alfy and I could join it and played for around 2 hours.. The thing about report code, I can't give you when the game gives my white screen and I can't do nothing except to ALT + F4 to exit the game.. But I entered again into game and went into settings, so here it is.  JKVC-RRKX-TSKA-BCVG1679719463_Errorcode.thumb.jpg.240bb6a639aa466b39fa1568a0a2a0c2.jpg

• Hoo changed the title to Failing to enter online lobbies results in unresponsive white screen
  • Codemasters Staff

Hi @blindbirdCRO - I've changed the title of the thread to help me pick out the issue from other online issues reported. 

Are you able to briefly describe your internet setup (type of internet connection and how this connects to your PC). Also, are you able to try any other type of connection to see if this produces a different result, e.g. connecting your PC directly to your router, or using a phone as an internet hotspot? 

Another thing to check is whether your router has uPnP enabled as this typically improves the connection process between different devices. If you don't want to do this, then are you able to confirm if you are forwarding the ports correctly as listed here: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/80158-connection-issues-troubleshooting/

Thanks.

Hey @Hoo let's go; sorry it was stronger than me ( Ramones fan ).. 

At first I was connecting through wi-fi; had wireless adapter on PC;  At that point I couldn't connect through LAN cable.. So that was in August when I bought the game I think.. Later somewhere in november I connected via cable, and from that day I'm on cable.. Internet connection is stable, speed too, ping is low to the mine ISP.. All other games works like charm online, no problems or anything. I even try to hotspot from my mobile phone.

I did the port forwarding ( for F1 )  and the network discovery or upnp; I had to do it for warzone or something like that. 

I'm sorry that I respond a bit late. 

Can we try to ping your servers from mine PC or something like that? I'm a bit curious, because it's funny how can I join into some games and some of them not, that is what is bottering me. I would rather that the multiplayer don't work at all, than it sometimes working, and somethimes not. 

But I'm glad that the Barry and yourself are commited to this problem. So thumbs up for you guys 😁

Edited by blindbirdCRO

• 1 month later...
  • Codemasters Staff

Hi @blindbirdCRO - we've been unable to identify the cause of this issue. There are a couple of network fixes planned for the next patch, so it would be good to see if they have affected this issue at all. Please let us know once the next patch is out. Thanks.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:59 PM, Hoo said:

Hi @blindbirdCRO - we've been unable to identify the cause of this issue. There are a couple of network fixes planned for the next patch, so it would be good to see if they have affected this issue at all. Please let us know once the next patch is out. Thanks.

Hello, unfortunately that patch didn't help me.. As much as I wanted.. When the patch came on steam I rushed in public lobbies to try it out. But I get the same problem like always.. 

• Codemasters Staff

Hi @blindbirdCRO - we've taken another look at this one and think could be something in the way that your network is configured that is causing problems with the game and blocking some essential communication during the join process. Are you able to try the following and report what happens:

1. Disable Windows firewall. Some firewalls have been known to flag the F1 game as a threat and block some internet traffic. Please try temporarily disabling any Windows firewalls, then launch the game and try joining sessions again to see if that changes the outcome. Make sure to turn your firewall back on after completing the test!

2. Check MTU to confirm whether packets of a reasonable size are getting through the network. Open up a command prompt in Windows and enter the folowing command and press enter:

ping -n 2 -l 1472 www.google.com

Then type in the folowing command and press enter:

ping -n 2 -l 1473 www.google.com

These commands will attempt to ping Google's servers with specific buffer sizes. We expect the first to work quickly. The second might well time out and fail. If the first one doesn't actually work, that might indicate an MTU problem on your connection. MTU - Maximum Transport Unit - is the largest packet size allowed on the network. Anything larger than it is silently dropped, which might cause problems if the game wants to send a lot of data at once - such as the lobby settings when you join a game.

3. Try connecting through the DMZ. There should be a DMZ option on your router that opens up all traffic to the specified device (your gaming PC in this case). If you can put your PC in the DMZ and try running the game, this should tell us if there is anything blocking traffic from the router side of things.

Thanks.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, blindbirdCRO said:

And today again the same thing.. I tried to enter pratice lobby of mine friend and I could join.

I tried to enter my league lobby and I couldn't join.

Sending dxdiag and pictures again..

DxDiag3.txt
90.65 kB · 2 downloads

If you include your mainboard model I could suggest driver updates as the number of Live Kernel Events suggests something is quite unhappy at a driver level.

9 hours ago, Hoo said:

Hi @blindbirdCRO - we've taken another look at this one and think could be something in the way that your network is configured that is causing problems with the game and blocking some essential communication during the join process. Are you able to try the following and report what happens:

1. Disable Windows firewall. Some firewalls have been known to flag the F1 game as a threat and block some internet traffic. Please try temporarily disabling any Windows firewalls, then launch the game and try joining sessions again to see if that changes the outcome. Make sure to turn your firewall back on after completing the test!

2. Check MTU to confirm whether packets of a reasonable size are getting through the network. Open up a command prompt in Windows and enter the folowing command and press enter:

ping -n 2 -l 1472 www.google.com

Then type in the folowing command and press enter:

ping -n 2 -l 1473 www.google.com

These commands will attempt to ping Google's servers with specific buffer sizes. We expect the first to work quickly. The second might well time out and fail. If the first one doesn't actually work, that might indicate an MTU problem on your connection. MTU - Maximum Transport Unit - is the largest packet size allowed on the network. Anything larger than it is silently dropped, which might cause problems if the game wants to send a lot of data at once - such as the lobby settings when you join a game.

3. Try connecting through the DMZ. There should be a DMZ option on your router that opens up all traffic to the specified device (your gaming PC in this case). If you can put your PC in the DMZ and try running the game, this should tell us if there is anything blocking traffic from the router side of things.

Thanks.

Hello,

I tried pinging from CMD ; I got these messages in attachement.

@steviejay69 My motherboard is ASRock B450 Gaming K4 ver. P4.50 ; date 11/04/2020

cmd.JPG

• Thanks 1