Jump to content Jump to content

My problem with Patch 1.13

If anyone at Codemasters reads this, read it thoroughly, okay? So, here's the deal:

The new update that features the Jeddah Circuit is amazing, and during my first race yesterday with Hamilton's Mercedes, I found out that it's an amazing track to drive, and I can't wait to see the IRL Race in December.

However, there is one very crucial thing that still bugs me until this day... This one thing that still makes the game bad, is...

THE AI.

Many people may still not believe me, but in so many tracks like Monaco, Catalunya, Melbourne, and ESPECIALLY Zandvoort, the AI is insane and simply impossible to beat, which has never been the case in previous F1 Titles, which were games only you guys at Codemasters developed. But with EA taking over, the franchise got so much worse. When I downloaded the update, I thought they may have weakened the AI in said tracks. Wrong. In fact, I feel like they got even STRONGER in these tracks.

For the Record: Back in F1 2020, I WON in Monaco. On Expert Difficulty. Without the Driving Line. With an uncompetitive My Team Vehicle. And in this game, I can't even take 21st in Monaco if I run on Expert, even if I have a car that should wipe the floor with everyone else.

I seriously don't want to say that this game is bad, but the overpowered AI makes setups more crucial than ever, and since 90% of players don't know how to make good setups for the tracks (including me), the game is FAR less accessible for players who just want to play and have fun. And trust me, I would be lying if I said the game is well-made and fun to play, because it isn't. In fact, I almost went insane while trying to survive Zandvoort, on 0% AI, without collisions, with a supposedly good setup, which only made me wipe out the track even more. Took me hours to get through it. 😠

Retraining the AI on said tracks takes ZERO effort, so I hope that a fix for this issue will be coming soon. Otherwise I'm thinking about plugging in my PS4 and playing some F1 2020, because this is a perfect game made by you at Codemasters.

Thank you.

- Nico

PS: I know, F1 2015 is still my favorite F1 game of all time, but 2020 takes the top 2 spot. 😉

What AI level were you using in F1 2020 and what are you using in F1 2021? Commenting on how hard the AI are to beat without mentioning this, or in what way they are hard to beat (is it high-speed corner performance?), isn't especially informative...

It's clearly nonsense to say that retraining the AI takes 'ZERO effort' by the way.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 3

You know, that you can lower the difficulty? 🙂

And on a side note: its very unlikely that is has something todo with EA buying Codemasters in February. First of all EA is only the publisher, Codemasters are still the developers and the game development didnt start in March 😉

I usually run 60 AI on a controller on Xbox One.

And in what way the AI is hard to beat? Well, give me a Zandvoort setup in which I can take the two fast right-handers at the start of Sector 2, on Hard Tires, at full throttle, without spinning out.

Or give me a Monaco setup in which I can just race through Sectors 1 and 3 with ease, without losing the rear end.

And in Catalunya and Melbourne, the AI isn't fast per se, but more aggressive than anything.

4 minutes ago, viness said:

You know, that you can lower the difficulty? 🙂

I already know that. But that would hardly be a challenge if I play everything on 0, 20 or 40.

6 minutes ago, viness said:

And on a side note: its very unlikely that is has something todo with EA buying Codemasters in February. First of all EA is only the publisher, Codemasters are still the developers and the game development didnt start in March 😉

How would you know? If EA didn't rush out the game, maybe Codemasters would've had enough time to implement the three new tracks, work on handling and AI, as well as on this year's F2 championship. Codies cares about community, EA cares about money. It's just a fact. 😉

4 minutes ago, NicoTheJoker said:

I already know that. But that would hardly be a challenge if I play everything on 0, 20 or 40.

That really doesn't make any sense. The whole point of the adjustable difficulty setting is to choose a level to give the right challenge for you. For some, an AI setting of 60 would be no challenge to beat, whilst others will struggle to win with the AI at level 20. 

There is an acknowledged issue with the AI being unrealistically fast in some fast corners though, with your Zandvoort example probably being a reflection of this. 

• Agree 2
7 minutes ago, NicoTheJoker said:

I can definetely understand that its a nuisance that the ai difficulty is not consistant in all tracks and that I have to change it track by track to have a good experience. If this is what you mean.

8 minutes ago, NicoTheJoker said:

How would you know? If EA didn't rush out the game, maybe Codemasters would've had enough time to implement the three new tracks, work on handling and AI, as well as on this year's F2 championship. Codies cares about community, EA cares about money. It's just a fact. 😉

I dont know. I just say its not likely. And I dont think Codemasters would have waited till January to release the game if EA wasnt there 😛

You’ll probably find codemasters were contractually obligated to release the game when they did.  This game is officially licensed by FOM and as F1 isnt as popular as it once was. This game is a key tool in raising F1’s profile and attracting more followers especially younger ones. 

Codemasters would have had discussions with FOM and guessing raising the issue that due to covid the development was well behind... Codemasters may have asked to delay.  As specific tracks won’t be finished aswell as update Australia etc.  As FOM would have to sign off on the game before its launch.   They could have well insisted that delaying wasnt option.   Even if it ment key features and content hadt to be left out and released as free dlc.

im surmising but it makes sense to me

the Ai may not be perfect. But compared to other racing games it’s  in a class off its own.  It’s the ai that keeps me playing this game And not be bothered by the other faults 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1

There's also the case of setups. I've had a terrible time with the game since release, fluctuating difficulties on different tracks and so on, until a few days ago I bit the bullet and had a go at using someone else's proven setups. I usually use my own but didn't realise just how WRONG I was about everything regarding them. 

I'm copying all the setups from this page F1 2021 Game Ultimate Guide: Complete setups, tips, settings, news & updates | Racing Games and I'm now able to race competititvely at all tracks at 85. Before it was 84, 75, 68 etc. All because I didn't know what I was doing, and I've played F1 games for years.

But also, failing this, yes, the difficulty slider is there for a reason, and it frustrates me no end to see players who will absolutely refuse to drop the difficulty, as if it somehow makes them less of a player. They see others on the same difficulty or higher, and there seems to be a peculiar sort of "measuring up" complex. And you don't need to drop it by 20 for each track. Each 1% is equal to 0.100 seconds of AI time. If they're 0.700 faster than you, drop it by 7%. The key is try and keep the difficulty +/- 0.300 between you and your teammate, and you'll have fun.

Another thing is that the difficulty is separated into levels - Hard, Expert, Master, Legend etc. - and I believe that there is a slight grip increase for the player when you drop down past one of these levels. For example, say you want to drop 0.500 and you're going from Master back down to Expert, so (remembering off the top of my head here) say from 91% down to 87%, you'll not only be equal to the AI, but you'll also get a slight grip boost which could actually make you faster than them, so perhaps only drop by 0.300 or 0.400.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2021 at 8:11 PM, NicoTheJoker said:

I get that opinion but I think delaying it would be counterproductive to sales. People are less likely to buy something that is already over and having it in the middle of the season renews interest in the product.

Weirdly, I think the game comes out too late as it is. The real-life season is halfway through and i'm still zooming around with last years liveries and drivers so it doesn't feel authentic and I lose interest. If it was any later for a release date then the real life season would be over before the game even began! 

The problem with it how it is currently is that the game came out like 5 months ago, and for alot of players, it's still not finished. If they do one more sizeable batch of improvements (expected with the F2 2021 update) where they include driver transfer control and other improvements then that leaves 6 months of time to play the game you paid for and then intended to play months and months ago. For most people, that's fine but I find it less immersive post February when i'm still trundling along with drivers I don't care about (like this year with Albon) instead of those I do. <--- I'm aware Albon is actually coming back for the next edition and we'll lose Kimi so that's a kick in the gonads so less fussed if it takes a long time to update the lineup this time. 

There would be downsides to releasing it earlier as it'd be nigh-impossible to have all the tracks ready to go and the car performance would be questionable. However, considering those are things they don't fix until November anyway every year, is it really that much of a problem? 

I can understand the calls for a subscription based service for the game but that'll make more sense after the transition to next generation.  I'm not a fan of subscription models myself but would possibly work for a game like this.

7 hours ago, s00zster said:

There's also the case of setups. I've had a terrible time with the game since release, fluctuating difficulties on different tracks and so on, until a few days ago I bit the bullet and had a go at using someone else's proven setups. I usually use my own but didn't realise just how WRONG I was about everything regarding them. 

I'm copying all the setups from this page F1 2021 Game Ultimate Guide: Complete setups, tips, settings, news & updates | Racing Games and I'm now able to race competititvely at all tracks at 85. Before it was 84, 75, 68 etc. All because I didn't know what I was doing, and I've played F1 games for years.

But also, failing this, yes, the difficulty slider is there for a reason, and it frustrates me no end to see players who will absolutely refuse to drop the difficulty, as if it somehow makes them less of a player. They see others on the same difficulty or higher, and there seems to be a peculiar sort of "measuring up" complex. And you don't need to drop it by 20 for each track. Each 1% is equal to 0.100 seconds of AI time. If they're 0.700 faster than you, drop it by 7%. The key is try and keep the difficulty +/- 0.300 between you and your teammate, and you'll have fun.

Another thing is that the difficulty is separated into levels - Hard, Expert, Master, Legend etc. - and I believe that there is a slight grip increase for the player when you drop down past one of these levels. For example, say you want to drop 0.500 and you're going from Master back down to Expert, so (remembering off the top of my head here) say from 91% down to 87%, you'll not only be equal to the AI, but you'll also get a slight grip boost which could actually make you faster than them, so perhaps only drop by 0.300 or 0.400.

I don’t care what level people set their ai or what assists they use.   It’s a game.  It’s their game.  

Once I sign a 90ish rating driver.  I change ai difficulty after practice sessions off each race. As I play myteam and performance of my car and ai teams is constantly changing.  So compare whatever my teammates fastest lap is on mediums to mine if I’m faster I increase ai by 10 for every second.

majority off the time it seems to work well.  Often my teammate is within few seconds off me throughout the race.

biggest issue is if he’s behind me when I’m coming in to pit. He follows me in and loses tons off time being double stacked 

• Agree 1
19 hours ago, s00zster said:

I'm copying all the setups from this page F1 2021 Game Ultimate Guide: Complete setups, tips, settings, news & updates | Racing Games and I'm now able to race competititvely at all tracks at 85.

If there is a setup for Zandvoort, I'm gonna try it in Time Trial and see if it works. If it does, I'll try it in Season 6 of My Team. And if that works as well, I might think about copy-pasting these setups for Season 7 (I am trash at making good setups in F1) and try playing on a difficulty higher than 60.

5 hours ago, NicoTheJoker said:

If there is a setup for Zandvoort, I'm gonna try it in Time Trial and see if it works. If it does, I'll try it in Season 6 of My Team. And if that works as well, I might think about copy-pasting these setups for Season 7 (I am trash at making good setups in F1) and try playing on a difficulty higher than 60.

Also try here https://simracingsetup.com/category/f1-2021-game/

These setups are designed for wheel users but work well for pads.   They are setups specifically to give you good stability and race pace. And tyre temps and wear.  For long races.