Jump to content Jump to content

[Xbox one/series x] Can't install upgrade needed to start F12021. Error 0x8b050033

Just to add another data point. I am having the same issue. I just bought a disc copy of the game to play on a series X. After 3 tries I got the game to install from disk (~45gb). Each previous time it would get 2-3% into the install and say that an unexpected error occurred.  When trying to launch the game, it will bring up the splash screen then say it needs an upgrade. When trying to upgrade it gives the same error others are describing. That it’s not available.

Let me know if you need an additional person to provide diagnostic info so we can help y’all get this resolved. I imagine it’s going to happen to anyone that tries to play a disc version of the game on a series S or X console. 

Still having the same issue.

On Xbox One S
Running the latest system software (it auto-updates), last updated 19nov.
Also seeing v1.0.78.4235 in Xbox Manage Games page
Says v1.0 on the game home page

Have tried the suggestions:
- checked Microsoft server status & power cycled Xbox
- cleared cache & did reinstall
- did a hard reset
- also tried from a different profile

As with others, it seems to work offline, but there is definitely something wrong. Very frustrating!

If there is anything that needs testing, I'm happy to help.

23 hours ago, Mutiny83 said:

Hi @dogmangunny which workaround did you find? Did you had the same issue we had and worked?

I tried few of the one I could find online but didn’t work and mainly just suggested to turn off completely the consoles from the system menu.

which one did you find? I’d be eager to start using f1 2021 again!

It was on xbox support. Download online then put disc in. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JtGaming08 said:

Still having the same issue.

On Xbox One S
Running the latest system software (it auto-updates), last updated 19nov.
Also seeing v1.0.78.4235 in Xbox Manage Games page
Says v1.0 on the game home page

Have tried the suggestions:
- checked Microsoft server status & power cycled Xbox
- cleared cache & did reinstall
- did a hard reset
- also tried from a different profile

As with others, it seems to work offline, but there is definitely something wrong. Very frustrating!

If there is anything that needs testing, I'm happy to help.

@KielSowder @JtGaming08 what worked for me and others was to:

-uninstall the game.

-Go on the Microsoft store and install the F1 2021 trial version.

-once you put the disc in you will be able to use the full game. 

• Agree 1

I am having the same problem.  I purchased at Target on Black Friday.  When I first tried to install I kept getting an installation stopped alert on my XBox, this was after the prompt that it needed an update which I accepted.  No go after about 180mb of install.  I then proceeded to go back to Target and exchange it for another disc with that thought it was a disc issue.  The next copy did the same thing and then I decided to install without the needed updates.  The install completed, but game couldn’t be played due to it needing a update.  The update wont go through it keeps saying “Please Try Again That Didnt Work for some Reason. (0x80070057)”.  I hope this is fixed soon, as it seems I am not the only one with this problem (class action lawsuit maybe?).  Target wont refund a open game, so where do we get our money back for something that doesn’t work?

I am having the same problem.  I purchased at Target on Black Friday.  When I first tried to install I kept getting an installation stopped alert on my XBox, this was after the prompt that it needed an update which I accepted.  No go after about 180mb of install.  I then proceeded to go back to Target and exchange it for another disc with that thought it was a disc issue.  The next copy did the same thing and then I decided to install without the needed updates.  The install completed, but game couldn’t be played due to it needing a update.  The update wont go through it keeps saying “Please Try Again That Didnt Work for some Reason. (0x80070057)”.  I hope this is fixed soon, as it seems I am not the only one with this problem (class action lawsuit maybe?).  Target wont refund a open game, so where do we get our money back for something that doesn’t work?

On 11/25/2021 at 10:21 AM, BarryBL said:

Excellent feedback @Mutiny83.

Can others confirm this, that they started on Xbox One, and then moved to Xbox Series S/X using the same disc, and the game no longer works.

If so, that sounds like a niche error that would be affected a number of the playerbase (you) and would have been hard to find. I'd also need to track someone down internally who has the ability to do the test (One and Series X available), but thats a me problem. If a number of people can confirm the same, I'll get this sent over to the devs and Microsoft, as would be a really interesting one and one we'd really want to get sorted. Have you managed to run the disc at all on the Series X?

I can confirm this, I received my X Series today and have tried downloading the F1 upgrade from my external hard drive. But no luck. It’s sad as I really enjoy the game but will have to wait until it is patched.

I put my xbox in offline mode, and was able to install the game from the disc. It installed 44GB of data to install this way. I then uninstalled the game, restarted the console, and went to the Microsoft Store, with the disc in. The Microsoft store recognized the disc, and said I can install this game, and is currently installing 61 GB of data. But it is coming from the internet, and not from the disc. I will update my findings when it's completed.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:59 PM, JtGaming08 said:

So when I try to start up F1 2021 it goes back to the homescreen, when I restart it it shows this message: ‘This game needs an update, but the update can’t be found at the moment. Try again later.’ I’ve tried every solution I could find, like hard resetting the game or redownloading it and many other things. But none of them work, I bought this game the day before yesterday and really want to play it, according to Xbox theres nothing wrong with the servers so I really don’t know anymore. I hope one of you can help me....

Okay, so a update. A couple of days ago the game did an update, I don’t know if it was a official update but after the update completed it was working fine again. The issue is fixed for me now, so that’s good. Meanwhile, during this issue I did find something that will allow you to play. So what you do is you go to your network setting and go offline. Then you start up F1 2021 and just play it offline, there are certain things you cant do like play online or race online. But it does work, I hope it does for you guys as well.

good luck!

Same here, has there been an update in the past couple of weeks?

bought the disc version, it wouldn’t download unless I turned the Xbox offline, downloaded the game and then went to download the update and have the same error message as everyone else. Only tried it on an Xbox Series X

I am having the same issue. 

New game on disc on my Xbox Series X.

When installing, asks for upgrade. I choose to do so. It stops the installation. Tries a few times, then stops.

If I go offline, it installs from disc. But it needs to update, but can't find it. So it doesn't start. Tried removing and reinstalling... Same problems.

So I am stuck.

Edited by CasperEgas

Same issue for me. Just got this as a gift and it won't install on XSX. 

I put the disc in and it says there an upgrade available, disc spins and gets some progress then stops. I got to 200 MB of 61 GB it just keeps stopping the install after a few seconds. 

I have a different error code though, mine is 0x80070057.

Please let me know if there's a fix, I'd like to enjoy the game. 

Hello All,

I had the same issue on my series x, put disc in tried to install of disc then a message pops up to upgrade, click ok, installation stops. Tried installing offline only to be told upgrade wasn't available when connecting online again.

After many hours contemplating launching my Xbox through the window I tried the below.

What worked for me was,

-Insert disc(start download) 

-download will stop(as you all know), press the options when hovering over the game, manage game and delete/cancel the install with game still in.

-with game still showing in disc drive go to the store

-search f1 2021 

-click on the the full game, it will say a price for you to buy but when you go in first option should say something like "you own this download add to queue"(cant check to see what exactly it says as I don't dare uninstall).

-the download should be 87gb which is what the upgrade message says.

-Download and hopefully you have same result as myself.

I disconnected external hard drive(not sure if it helped or not), and also stay connected to the internet.

Hopefully this works for you guys.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Scottmckay01 said:

Hello All,

I had the same issue on my series x, put disc in tried to install of disc then a message pops up to upgrade, click ok, installation stops. Tried installing offline only to be told upgrade wasn't available when connecting online again.

After many hours contemplating launching my Xbox through the window I tried the below.

What worked for me was,

-Insert disc(start download) 

-download will stop(as you all know), press the options when hovering over the game, manage game and delete/cancel the install with game still in.

-with game still showing in disc drive go to the store

-search f1 2021 

-click on the the full game, it will say a price for you to buy but when you go in first option should say something like "you own this download add to queue"(cant check to see what exactly it says as I don't dare uninstall).

-the download should be 87gb which is what the upgrade message says.

-Download and hopefully you have same result as myself.

I disconnected external hard drive(not sure if it helped or not), and also stay connected to the internet.

Hopefully this works for you guys.

Just tried this, still no luck. It just lists the price (now on sale) and an option to install the trial. 

I installed offline but tried to play it online and it says it can't be updated right now. 

On 11/20/2021 at 4:05 AM, Mutiny83 said:

- When trying to start the game, a popup shows:  "Update needed: you need this update, but we can't get it right now. Try again in a while  (0x8b050033)"

- I tried a complete reinstall of the game, if I am online, the game won't install altogether because of the error with getting the update. When I set the Xbox series X as offline and I can install the game from disc but if I try to start it, I go back to the first point.

- Platform Xbox series X

- Note that I was able to use the game without any issue on the Xbox One

I’m having the same issues