Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[OFF TOPIC] Sebastien Loëb Rally EVO devs

PuddingFox said:
...I havn't got much hope for this anyway as its Milestone making it they have a habit of releasing unfinished broken games and release 1 or 2 patches if your'e lucky...

Same could be said about a great many game companies these days.

enamel said:
Is this game and WRC 5 based on the same engine? I am guessing Milestone licensed their engine to Kylotonn, but I haven't seen anything about it.

Looks like they got the Toyota license, I am guessing it was exclusive and that is why CM couldn't get it?
The Kylotonn's engine is KtEngineHD, Kylotonn used the same engine in Motorcycle Club. I don't think use the same engine as Milestone

Operator1 said:

PuddingFox said:
...I havn't got much hope for this anyway as its Milestone making it they have a habit of releasing unfinished broken games and release 1 or 2 patches if your'e lucky...

Same could be said about a great many game companies these days.

True

Pre Order DLC (Pikes Peak 1988, Peugeot 405 T16 PP  and 3 new career events)

Yes, it looks primitive, but I am really surprised!  If that's actual handling at work there, its a big step up from the awful WRC physics.

Pre-Order DLC... thanks but no thanks
If that's true it looks they're already stripping apart parts of the game so they can sell them separately before the release. What an insult, and to think I was considering to give it a go...
Besides, I thought the graphics would be better than that, what a letdown

Still realistic enough to be unrealistic. 

Please, stop being too negative about this. There will be SLR EVO II with realistic Irish pacenotes and a lot of French cars including Dacia Sandero, Kia Picanto (French Rally version with French flag stripes) and many more powerful hot hatches like the latter.

I'm kind of amazed they've put out that video today, it really does look a big graphical step down from some of the other recent videos.

I could understand it being really quite old footage at this point, like from when they first announced Pikes Peak and pre-order stuff back in June or so, but I really wouldn't be publishing (or re-publishing?) that right now to promote it so close to release.
The wheels look to be more brightly lit than the rest of the car and/or not collecting dirt as its running and the Pikes Peak number sticker on the side is practically glowing.
It also almost looks like they modeled the car as a single piece and then just cut the door out (3D modelers will know what I mean) without any consideration for them actually being separate pieces of metal that don't fit perfectly or seamlessly together, which looks really odd in the first few seconds.

If that really is representative of the game this late in the... er... well, game as it were then they might have a nice big car lineup, but they've been modeled to a much lower standard to get them all done than DiRT 3 was as a X360/PS3 game, and this is supposed to be a PS4/XB1 title.

I can't help but feel (or rather hope) that someone just screwed up and used really old footage by mistake.

er185 said:
I'll admit. Before seeing this clip i was going to come all defensive about SLRE graphics and with my hopes high for this (i had and still have my fears about physics though). Now that i seen that clip.. man.. i don't know where those graphics what we even had before  went?

Well.. At least the trees look like trees in my eyes still :smiley: (yes and i know that some people like those 3D trees, but i don't think they look real)

In concept there is much promise in this and car roster is big. Their Graphical style visioned being more realistic like and what they told us about wanting real and authentic physics. That all sounds good to me, but i just havent seem them delivering it yet.. except car list and maybe graphics (maybe, if this video is older)

ramPage16 said:
Not that I expected much from them, but man the stages in their trailer look awful. Literally just flat roads.
Apparently they're 1:1 creations of real life roads. I'll be the judge of that with the UK stages 
I shall join you aswell its annoying seeing WRC games and they say drive on the Great Orme, i live 5-10 mins away from the Great Orme and i know theres no trees each side of the stage or any trees at all there its all coast and cliff faces, I havn't got much hope for this anyway as its Milestone making it they have a habit of releasing unfinished broken games and release 1 or 2 patches if your'e lucky. I'll see what it's like when they bring out
Yeah, I always check out the Great Orme stage, having visited it: the first 2 WRC games had a stage nothing like it, 3 and 4 had a cliffside part that was pretty bang on, but only as part of a longer stage with forests. WRC5 had the Great Orme quite close to reality... if it was run in reverse and had a huge castle and island just off of the side in the sea! Check out videos of them on YouTube.

er185 said:

macebig said:
Hope the Pikes Peak has a nice feel...It looks like SLRE is shaping up well.
Are you off your meds, fella? The Vietnam War looked like it was shaping up well... well, actually, no, no it didn't. So I guess you could say SLRE is the Vietnam War of games. 

JZStudios said:
So I guess no one saw the work in progress disclaimer huh?
Of course we did, but it's not going to significantly transform in just 2 months.

Less than that actually. Since this is getting a physical release on consoles with their longer QA process and due to the time of year, it'll probably be approaching Content Complete any time now, definitely by Christmas.
It'll probably go Gold in around 7 weeks time and be released for manufacture.
The last few weeks are spent polishing things up and debugging.
Typically that doesn't mean things like replacing all the car models with more detailed ones.

Which is why I'd be hoping the footage is really old. Older than that trailer they put out to announce the release date.
Still, at least they can't be accused of Colonial Marines-ing it.

To be fair, given Kylotonn's catastrophic record, I was surprised that WRC5 seems to be an okay arcade rally game.

And to be really fair, given the Dirt games, which were dudebro versions of Sega Rally, I didn't expect the Codies to make Dirt Rally.

However it was clear that if you like the direction or not, the Codies can deliver high quality. That's not exactly what comes to mind when I think of Milestone. Milestone games always felt like "well it's not that bad, they tried" games to me. But by claiming to be a full-on simulation with Pikes Peak and Rallycross, they're just asking for broken noses. I am curious how this'll turn out, but I can't imagine that Milestone suddenly makes a great game. I'm afraid there's no place for their game between an arcade racer with the WRC licence and a pretty serious rally game.

I'm afraid they wanted to make a good rally game when the genre seemed to be dead, but now their game's going to be dead on arrival.

When people talk about Dirt Rally, hardly anyone talks about any WRC or Dirt or even CMR game. The only game it's constantly compared with is RBR. Just saying.

I didn't try it for myself tbh, and I'm not going to pay full price just for trying it. I hoped they'd make a demo, as they did with Motorcycle Club. But that demo just convinced anyone to stay far away from it, so there may be a reason why there's no demo for WRC 5.

Reviews for WRC 5 seem to be mostly in the ok range though.