DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[OFF TOPIC] Sebastien Loëb Rally EVO devs

OzoreXS said:
OzoreXS said:
I cant understand why they publish such poor video, showing that poorly modeled car doing clumsy moves at low speed... 
When was the last time you watched DiRT Rally trailer..? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usybmxQzxvQ

if you not prefer what you see on this video, you are in wrong place....

(close the door when you leave)
I didn't mean graphics or sound quality but you can see a LOT of  "clumsy moves" in this trailer on low AND high speed. :)

HillClimb category cars
https://www.facebook.com/SLRallyEvo/posts/668828113259531

0:15 in that video. If it were DR, the car would've been sent to the moon already, along with a puncture along the way xD
DR is better because you die ;)

But seriously, those graphics... for crying out loud, 30FPS on PS4 and Xbone with that? DriveClub is running at constant 30FPS, never even thinking about dipping below, and a lot of the footage would make you question if it's a game or real photo. With SLRE I'm wondering if this game is an experiment of seeing how good animals are at making games... scratch it, let's not insult animals, the level of crapness there (as in SLRE) is too high.
To add insult to injury, Dirt Rally will be 60fps on consoles.

Did I say "will"? I meant "would". Obviously. *cough*

Finland

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=668829163259426&id=501980619944282&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.668829163259426%3Atl_objid.668829163259426

It's easy to go with the the flow on the thread here & slate the game, but I'm quite curious to see how this turns out.  
It's beating WRC 5 for the most so far.  I half expect to be let down in the actual feel of it, but the locations & some of the newer cars look 'OK' at the min

KevM said:
but the locations & some of the newer cars look 'OK' at the min
No, really, no. They don't look even remotely OKish. OK is what DiRT Rally looks for today graphical standards, though more precise would be "good, but the cheap tricks show up rather often, which makes the game often have an old feel, so between average and good is where it sits". "OK" is a very difficult to pinpoint statement when it comes to graphics. SLRE is just crap in the graphics department all around. Look at the San Remo video and notice how the railings load a higher LOD version when you get really close to them.

Don't get fooled by nice "menu screen" which can be a 2D render (aka a video), not an actual 3D scene.

Now that doesn't the game will be bad in every aspect. It may turn out surprisingly well in the physics department, who knows. But in the graphical department it is a complete and utter crap all around.

Sorry for having an opinion of my own Ryu, it won't happen again :)

KevM said:
Sorry for having an opinion of my own Ryu, it won't happen again :)
I'm not saying you can't like the graphics, just that from a technical standpoint they are very bad :p Minor thing but makes a huge difference ;)

I'm not talking about the Pikes Peak rubbish, I don't like hill climb.  The rally/WRC cars are OK looking.  SLRE might be ok for the masses if customer expectations are lower and it's OK as a simcade racer.

Because Dirt is so much better, people become more critical because of higher bar it sets for itself.  Even though we all love the game, this forum shows we all want to push for that little bit more!! 

WRC 5, well, that's just a lost cause lol :(

Everyone has different standards though, the bulk of today's games don't look like Forza or Project CARS or whatever else is at the top of the pyramid. RBR and GTR2 look 'OK' to me, but might just be me showing my age there...

Everyone has different standards though, the bulk of today's games don't look like Forza or Project CARS or whatever else is at the top of the pyramid. RBR and GTR2 look 'OK' to me, but might just be me showing my age there...
Well that's also dependent on the time. I sometimes go back and play old Xbox games and it has some games that look surprisingly good. I still find PC sim racers funny, because PC guys always bash consoles for terrible graphics, but they play iRacing, RFactor, and AC.

JZStudios said:
I still find PC sim racers funny, because PC guys always bash consoles for terrible graphics, but they play iRacing, RFactor, and AC.
Especially when the best looking game right now is a console exclusive simcade racer known as DriveClub and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon, when even the newest Need For Sales Underground 3 looks worse with cheap "always wet cars" trick.

Immersion.
Tell me you don't need this kinda visual in your life....

I remember being stunned by the blocky mess that was Gran Turismo back in the day.  I think we're fast reaching the point of driving games not being able to get much better visually. It's hard to comprehend the quality evolving enough to make the likes of DriveClub, look bad in years to come!

function9 said:
Do you really need high end graphics when going 150kmh+ through a forest, or anywhere for that matter?
Yes, because it massively improves the immersion. I don't know about you, but I prefer to be going 150km/h+ through a highly realistic forest, not something that barely resembles it.

function9 said:
Do you really need high end graphics when going 150kmh+ through a forest, or anywhere for that matter?
Not needing them isn't really a perfect justification for not having them.
If graphics were going to be toned down, you'd at least expect a pay-off like 60fps on consoles.
That's the situation with the Forza main series where a lot of things like lighting are pre-baked and particle effects are abysmal.
In order to do it's open world, the Forza Horizon series dropped down to 30fps, but also gained some extra detail and weather.
The Codies racers like DiRT 3 and F1 series looked more spectacular than the Forza games, but they were also 30fps.

It might not need the best graphics, but it's really going to have to wow in other areas to make up for sub-par ones.

Makes me wonder what dirt rally would look with Physically Based Rendering :open_mouth: 

BrySkye said:
That's the situation with the Forza main series where a lot of things like lighting are pre-baked and particle effects are abysmal.
In order to do it's open world, the Forza Horizon series dropped down to 30fps, but also gained some extra detail and weather.
Actually, Forza 6's smoke is looking really good. Just thought I'd throw that out there. The cars are also insanely detailed, especially for being on console, I love the orange peel effect on the paint, realistic carbon fiber and the metal flakes. I've not seen another game that actually does any of those, much less correctly. Driveclub looked good, until rain happened, it was weird and blobby, and yet again, Forza one-upped them. If Forza (or something similar) made it's way over to PC and actually utilized PC capability, and gave super high fidelity lighting and models, I would be one of the happiest people in the world.

JZStudios said:
Driveclub looked good, until rain happened, it was weird and blobby, and yet again, Forza one-upped them.
How can Forza one-up them when it looks like a last gen game compared to it (maybe a slight exaggeration, but the trade offs for 60FPS are more than noticeable)? o.O It's like comparing DiRT Rally with SLRE graphically and then saying the latter has better graphics...
Also, people that moan about DriveClub weather haven't been in an actual storm or blizzard. You really don't see much then, just like in the game.

And before someone goes into "it's a matter of preference"... no it's not in this case. All racing simulators aim for as photorealistic graphics as possible. That means the one that is closer to photorealism is the one with better graphics. If games have similar graphical quality, then naturally it becomes more of a preference in the case of which "trade off's" we care about more. But that's not the case here at all. Let's not even try to fake it is, as you can't fool anybody into thinking that a screenshot from a Forza game is an actual IRL photo, while certain manufacturer (I believe that was Audi, not sure though) was tweeting screenshots of their cars in DriveClub and NO ONE realised it was from the game. Evolution Studios (aka devs behind DriveClub) had to inform on twitter those are screenshots from their game.

It's not to say Forza looks bad, because even with certain limitations it does look pretty damn good. But saying it looks better than DriveClub is kind of like saying that video games look more realistic than real life. I do understand someone prefers Forza over DriveClub as a game but let's not go into "fanboy'ism" and stay impartial on subjects that have... obvious differences. I have none of the games so I can only judge the graphical and audio aspects of the game, and in both DriveClub wins (the supercharger sound on the Jag... glorious).

This video is the one I usually link to when someone wants a quick peek at DriveClub graphics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlY6beTjTXc

DriveClub gfx are simply stunning, amazing, superb.

Despite the 30FPS cap, it has a great velocity feeling, or it looks like.. never saw it running on a real TV, just YT videos.

I dont know how good is DC played with a wheel but judging the interior wheel movement during oversteer it looks a bit arcady/challenging/fun.
Its a shame we can not get this title on PC.

PS: water effects are the best ever created on a racing game.

OzoreXS said:
DriveClub gfx are simply stunning, amazing, superb.

Despite the 30FPS cap, it has a great velocity feeling, or it looks like.. never saw it running on a real TV, just YT videos.

I dont know how good is DC played with a wheel but judging the interior wheel movement during oversteer it looks a bit arcady/challenging/fun.
Its a shame we can not get this title on PC.

PS: water effects are the best ever created on a racing game.
It's a simcade. In the sense that speeds are higher due to increased grip and traction, but the cars still behave like in a sim, most of the time at least. The drifting is simplified a bit from what I've seen, though you can still spin. Some people like to call it the "Hardcore Need For Speed".

And yeah, shame. One note, the weather effects are best ever created on any game ;) There still, even over a year after it was released, doesn't exist a game that actually looks better than DriveClub. That is an accomplishment on its own, as nowadays the title of best looking game usually last for few months at best.

BrySkye said:
And to be really fair, given the Dirt games, which were dudebro versions of Sega Rally, I didn't expect the Codies to make Dirt Rally.

I wouldn't go that far. DiRT, DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 weren't really all that different from the entire Colin McRae Rally series.
They've always walked that simcade line.
DiRT 3 is certainly a hell of a lot more of a sim than CMR and CMR 2 were, never mind Sega Rally 2 or V-Rally 2.
I'd say the original Colin McRae DiRT was more simulation than any CMR game, except for maybe CMR3.

Mind you, I've recently been playing the rather rare Direct3D version of Sega Rally, so yeah, it's pretty fresh in my mind just how big that gap really is. That was a game which didn't even have any damage, your reward for picking a manual gearbox was a straight up higher top speed and the Stratos was faster than the Celica or Delta Integrale.
It's about as pure, old school arcade as you can get. None of the newer games, not even WRC5, can really be compared to it.
I always thought the first McRae Rally game felt a bit like Sega Rally Championship, probably why it appealed to me.

Sega Rally is limited, but it's got lovely handling, something they messed in Sega Rally 2, even though they added a handbrake.

P.S. that rare D3D version has hidden night, evening and fog modes, hold a direction when loading a track! It's also a bit more messy looking that the normal version of the game, as early gen racing games seemed to have to use lower resolution textures in D3D than DX mode (or maybe it was just Sega racing games, like Sega Touring Car Championship too)...

P.S. that rare D3D version has hidden night, evening and fog modes, hold a direction when loading a track! It's also a bit more messy looking that the normal version of the game, as early gen racing games seemed to have to use lower resolution textures in D3D than DX mode (or maybe it was just Sega racing games, like Sega Touring Car Championship too)...
Yup! But someone made a mod that basically mixes the best parts of the original into the D3D version.
Believe me, a lot nicer looking than the Saturn port as well, saying as its double the resolution!