DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[OFF TOPIC] Sebastien Loëb Rally EVO devs

In the Facebook page of SL Rally EVO they released a video which says peace notes instead of PACE notes, that game could not be even near the king DiRT Rally

Pitched at being a Sim too.                            

It's embarrassing, but let's cut a little slack since they are Italian. IE, English isn't their first language.

More embarassing was a few weeks ago when they sent out a press release to gaming news sites etc with the wrong release date.
(courtesy of David Scammel of Videogamer.com)

https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/654955644835995648

Not that I expected much from them, but man the stages in their trailer look awful. Literally just flat roads.

ramPage16 said:
Not that I expected much from them, but man the stages in their trailer look awful. Literally just flat roads.
Apparently they're 1:1 creations of real life roads. I'll be the judge of that with the UK stages 

1:1 creations eh? That's about as bogus as WRC 5's claim on their steam page of being "THE racing simulation standard."

The layout of their Swedish stage reminded me heavily of the end section of Torsby, although the scenery less so - was early WIP though.

ramPage16 said:
Apparently they're 1:1 creations of real life roads. I'll be the judge of that with the UK stages 
Yup acquire GPS vector road data and slap some trees and other stuff around it. That's how Milestone's doing 1:1 rally stages.

ramPage16 said:
I keep seeing a sponsored Facebook page, not milestone but they're advertising SLRE. Anyway, they market it as 'the only rally sim with 100% real recreated stages and over 4 decades of rally cars'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkKYiWkM84  some gameplay of SLRE... 

• Body is 14 characters too short.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331752024607/s%C3%A9bastien-loeb-rally-evo-the-interview
Unlike circuits, which can be modelled once and used 80 times per race, SLRE requires vast swathes of road to be rendered, and Milestone has painstakingly scanned, mapped and recreated hundreds of kilometres of stages.

“Sébastién Loeb Rally Evo is the only game on the market that reproduces over 300km of real existing special stages,” says Zucca, and he's not wrong. For each stage, Milestone deployed a new way of scanning the road, often using a mixture of GPS data and videos collated by Loeb himself.

However, rather than simply mapping the road, Milestone instead tried to nail the rallying experience from the driver’s point of view first – and it looks as though it’s succeeded. Although the environment is a crucial factor, Milestone has taken the driver’s experience and worked outwards, and the results are stunning.
The bolded part explains exactly why the stages are wide and flat. You ever see a top athlete interviewed when they talk about being in "the zone"? It's always roughly the same description, the goal, goal posts, basket, strike zone, etc, feels like it's a mile wide to someone in "the zone". I imagine it's no different for a top rally driver that's in the zone. Even the most narrow and bumpy pieces of road probably feel like a four lane, smooth highway to him when he's at the top of his game.

What's also yet to be seen is how many of those cars and km's will be DLC? They already started it with pre-orders with a special PP car of your choice (out of two). I don't mind if a company says we'll have 40 cars and 500km of stages, and then adds more cars and kilometers on top of that later in the form of DLC's. But, it's a bunch of **** if 30 of those cars and 300 of those km will be available through DLC only.

I have to add that i was looking on their facebook an one person asked how realistic it will be...
And the answer? --> "ultra-realistic"
https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=661979110611098_662899903852352&count=2&showcount=2&pc=1&ft_ent_identifier=661979110611098&gfid=AQDpzXqxiN71qDxL&_ft_=top_level_post_id.661979110611098%3Atl_objid.661979110611098

From 29:46 to 30:08 this guy is almost on par with the AI time set driving 1km in 22 seconds. It's a bit of a straight road there, to be fair, but that would mean it takes 1:28 to complete a stage...

Also the cars don't seem to have suspension or something.

Either way, I hope it will come out alright. I mean, if it turns out that it is actually a good sim there would be something to enjoy there.

Job3k said:

My cat can drive better than than... oh my god...

SLRE doesnt look good ATM

OzoreXS said:
Job3k said:

My cat can drive better than than... oh my god...

SLRE doesnt look good ATM
Were his parents brother and sister? What the hell was wrong with whoever was playing!?

What I'd say of the small amount I managed to watch (it was pretty painful):

it it didn't look like there was much sense of speed
handling didn't look right
rallycross collisions looked terrible and definitely needs a lot of work before launch

Yes, Sebastian Loeb Rally propably won't be revolutionary in any way but people please. 

Respect other developers too. There's a room for all of them. Just remember Codies previous titles when critisizing other companies. It doesn't help Codies or any other developer if you guys talk bs about their "competitors".

Let's hope Milestone do well on their chosen path.

Yeah, while dirt rally looks to be the better game. Loeb evo doesn't look too bad. And I for one welcome some competition.

Of course, just clarify, I wish the best for both companies (BigBen and Milestone)
But I cant refuse my own opinion, I dont like neither WRC 5 and SLRE; maybe tradictionally because I didnt liked WRC series and Milestone´s titles...

Thankfully we can choose.

Sanremo rally comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsZkev0a-6g

• Body is 16 characters too short.