Jump to content Jump to content

Has anyone been able to get a refund for 21, if so how did you do it?

You need to apply for refund on Steam (only if you bought game on steam, if you bought it at retailer steam will reject it beacuse of they policy is that refund isn't granted for games bought form 3rd-party company), and wait max 24 hours for answer. If you meet requirements (which are: You can't own game for more than 2 weeks and you can't have more than 2 hours of playtime) you will be granted refund, but if you don't meet one of requirements you will be 99% rejected. To do it, write in Google, "steam refund" and click the first link and there you will have, full tutorial on how you do it and all of requirements

Edited by ZtwoA
2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

@RLLL's profile says he plays on XBOX One...

Oh, my bad, so you'll need to write into a google xbox one refund click first link, there will be requirements (pretty much same as steam) and it only grant refunds that are digital, and bought via xbox store

On 11/23/2021 at 6:18 PM, RLLL said:

Title.

If you bought digital Xbox will refund you if you've played for less than 10 hours, but that's about it.  I chatted with MS around release when I couldn't play this game without it crashing/turning off my console.  They wouldn't refund me then becuase I was over 10 hours, but when i started showing them the bug reports here and the thread in particular around my issue, with the responses from Codies acknowledging the issue, MS was changing their tune it seemed with me.  Eventually the patch came through and solved my issue so I didn't follow through, but that was back around release.  Not sure how they'll handle it now.

Personally I still find it completely appalling that I couldn't play this game on my Xb-SX for 2-3 months without it crashing my system.  It's a joke I had to wait that long with no recourse, and no sympathy from the folks at Codemasters/EA.  Lesson learned; they don't care about their consumers.  Even some free pitcoin would have been nice, heck we got that last year when the pre-order bonus was messed up, but that didnt even effect the game.  Here; I literally couldn't play it without it turning off my console and potentially damaging/overheating it and nothing but a mod here throwing the EULA in my face to say it's not their problem if it messes up my console.   Yeah.. ok.   Great service.  Follow that up with a 2 month or more wait for a fix, with nothing in return is pretty terrible customer service IMO.

Again; If you have a specific issue and have reported a bug and it's not been resolved and you can't actually play the game I'd suggest saving screenshots of the thread or printing it to be able to show proof if you bought digitally.  Retailers probably won't help you though.   If that fails, take to social media relentlessly tagging Codies and EA, and F1, and any type of consumer protection regulators in your country to raise awareness.  These companies have gotten away with nonsense like this for far too long now.  Cyberpunk got dragged through the mud because of everyone's awareness and a huge player base that wanted the game from the start.  This one flew under the radar IMO simply because the playerbase isn't that big and the game just doesn't get the media attention that cyberpunk did leading up to, and after release. 

Good luck to you.

Edited by petro1319

It is increasingly rare to get one-off refunds for many games these days. You get like a widespread occasion where companies will refund all players as they accept their game was a steamy pile of donkey dung at release but that's when it is undeniable and is usually a promise to fix it, instead of just immediately refunding.

On individual cases, you have to have barely played it and yet still have strong evidence of the issues. You can't just get refunds because you have buyers regret.   It's obviously quite hard to provide significant evidence AND have barely touched the game. 

Also, there's very limited context on why you want/deserve the refund. Depending on your reasoning, there'd presumably be a few avenues to strengthen your case. 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, RLLL said:

Title.

You won't be able to. You're stuck with it. 

I bought mine from Amazon, they said it has to be dealt with by EA.

EA said it needs to be Amazon because it was physical product but EA wouldn't accept that they need to refund me.

MS said EA needs to do it. I asked MS for backup to go back to EA. 

EA wouldn't refund me. 

Edited by Sonic6L

So in essence, codemasters sold us half a broken product and will get away with it and keep my money, despite the product not being fit for purpose. 

I've bought every F1 game since 2010.

Way to treat your loyal customers. 

Embarrassing, I almost feel bad for EA buying into this.

• Agree 2
8 hours ago, RLLL said:

So in essence, codemasters sold us half a broken product and will get away with it and keep my money, despite the product not being fit for purpose. 

I've bought every F1 game since 2010.

Way to treat your loyal customers. 

Embarrassing, I almost feel bad for EA buying into this.

Do something about it.  You've been given options.   Again, call MS.  Call EA.  Call Codies themselves.   Call a local regulator/politician/lawmaker/media folks involved in consumer protection.

Fact of the matter is these companies can get away with whatever they want, they just hide behind their EULA's which... if we're being quite honest aren't worth the paper they are written on.   Think of it this way, a EULA is basically you agreeing to waive your rights to any recourse against Codemasters/EA in exchange for your "license" to use the software.  So... the game kills your console due to the bug that lead to Xbox's overheating after release and even though it's caused by them, they say the EULA means your problem; not theirs.    Now think of this... You go to a hockey game, or baseball.  You get hit with a puck, or bat, or ball in the stands that permanently injures you.  Ever read the back of your ticket?  It says the team/stadium/league isn't responsible if you get hurt, you "waive your rights" to that.   Guess what though...  many injured folks at sporting events have successfully won compensation from the legal system regardless of the waiver on the back of your ticket.   To me, it's no different than the bogus EULA's they like to hide behind in the gaming industry.  They mean nothing IMO.  In my line of work when I was having issues with this game on release many "experts" in this area essentially told me it's worthless.  They can't force you to sign away rights legally yours; especially if they're liable. 

Now in this case, it sounds like you're just not happy with what you bought.  Not sure any of that helps you here.  If the game is causing you some big issues; like overheating your console or something then maybe you have a case.  If you just dont like what you bought; the way the industry has set itself up you're likely out of luck.  It's not fair.  It's not right.  However companies like this take every opportunity to take advantage of the consumer whenever they can.  Its never been so obvious than the last few years.   As I stated earlier; I coulnd't play this game for 2 months or more after release without it potentially damaging my console.  It's the only game that caused me an issue.  No others have shut my console completely off to this day other than F1 2021.  After the patch, 1.08 I think it was it all magically went away.  Clearly a flaw in this game, not my console as others tried to tell me here.  Yet what did Codemasters do for me?   Cite their EULA around here, provide a random bug report when threatened to do so, and eventually release a patch.   I've played a ton of this game since the fix so im fine with what I paid for the game now, but was i then? Hell no.  Was I treated fairly by Codemasters/EA?  Was everyone else suffering from the same issue?  Nope!  What did we get for it?  Nothing. 

Contrary to the popular saying "the customer is always right" That's certainly not the case in the video game industry.  The motto in this business really should be "screw the customer whenever you can".  You only need to look as far as card collection modes, loot boxes, in game purchases, DLC, and pay to play games to see that.  This industry is built on money; our money.  Every decision they make now is about how to get more money from us.  Just look at the podium pass stuff.   VIP is a joke...  play the game to progress and win these rewards.. ohh and if you buy VIP access you get more "free" stuff.  I mean come on...  I already paid $75 for a game I couldn't play for two months and you want MORE!?!?!?!!

I've said it in other threads around here, but Codemasters; I hope you're listening now finally.  You've gone too far, and it's going to start showing up where it matters most... game sales, and profits.  I know you won't see a dollar from me next year until I've seen enough proof that it's worth my while. Codies didn't just burn the bridge to my bank account, they burnt it, blew it up, pretended to rebuild it only to set it on fire, blow it up and then send me the bill to clean it up and rebuild it myself.  F1 2021 has been the worst game experience I've ever had I started gaming on an Atari when I was a kid.  Even Cyberpunk was a better experience than F1 2021 for me and it was an epic disaster.

Long story short; if you're upset with not getting a refund take matters into your own hands with the people that can help you because this industry has set itself up to protect itself from the consumer, and unfortunately most consumers in this industry are minors, or too young to know any better on how to fight for themselves.

• Agree 3

Saw a you tube thing about PlayStation refunds policy or lack off it.  Basically as soon as you download a game from their store getting a refund is like getting blood from a stone.  Apparently depends more on the person that deals with your request than any policy.

which is a shame as Sony customer services for their own products is actually really good and the single main reason I buy Sony.  I’ve had 3 ps3’s replaced (two out off guarantee) within a week.  You’d call them tell them ps3 was broke within a few days a person would turn up at your door with a Reconditioned ps3 which you exchanged for your broken one). But then they changed it. So I  had to send my PS4 by freepost and they sent me a brand new one back inside off 2 weeks. 

think your better off buying a physical copy from a shop.  As your protected by existing consumer laws.  As you get 28 days in uk to return. 

Edited by ScaredDuck
3 hours ago, audacious said:

do what i did and stop buying this game until it is on sale 12 months later...am amazed people still buy it on the day it gets released

The appeal of that approach very much depends on what someone is looking for from the game. Those interested in racing with this season's cars and drivers wouldn't get what they want a year later, plus usually the multiplayer and league scene will mostly migrate to the latest game each year. I suspect that the issues with this year's game may mean there is more current actively still in F1 2020 than there would normally be though.

That said, I'll bet that pre-launch sales will be markedly down next year.

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

The appeal of that approach very much depends on what someone is looking for from the game. Those interested in racing with this season's cars and drivers wouldn't get what they want a year later, plus usually the multiplayer and league scene will mostly migrate to the latest game each year. I suspect that the issues with this year's game may mean there is more current actively still in F1 2020 than there would normally be though.

That said, I'll bet that pre-launch sales will be markedly down next year.

That certainly should be the case and will be well deserved if so.  However with EA kind of being involved for the entire cycle this time I'm sure they'll have some aggressive pre-order bonuses or something to lure people in.  They'll come up with something; they always seem to.