Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FPS deterioration during recording

I'm having a weird issue, that hasn't been there for any other game, bar F1 2015 and Dirt Rally.

The live gameplay is working without any problems, with the recording and FPS counter at stable 50-60 frames, but when I watch playback, I see deterioration.
The recording starts at normal 55-60 FPS and then, over time, slows down to 5-10 FPS, losing on average 5 frames per minute. Short 1-2 min videos do not have any frame drop, neither does any beginning of the footage, but as the footage gets bigger, the frame drop is more noticeable, with it being completely unusable at 5-10 FPS after 15-20 minutes of recorded footage.

Checking multiple solution like fullscreen/windowed, Vsync on/off, any other visual changed didn't change much. Recording attempted with Bandicam/Fraps/OBS/Shadowplay. Anyone encountering similar issues or knows how to fix it?

---------
Specs:

CPU i7 3770K @ 3.5 GHz
RAM 16GB (4x4) 1337 MHz
MB ASUS Sabertooth Z77
GPU GTX 780 Ti
OS Win 7 Home x64
Screen Samsung SyncMaster T260HD 1920x1200
Wheel Logitech G27

Hello, try using the monitoring in MSI Afterburner and see if there is a link to the frame rate dropping with GPU/CPU usage etc

This will help narrow it down to find the cause.

Hello, try using the monitoring in MSI Afterburner and see if there is a link to the frame rate dropping with GPU/CPU usage etc

This will help narrow it down to find the cause.
I have recorded certain stats during recording. Here's the results:
http://imgur.com/uw4kXbF

This was taken during a 3 minute recording, during which FPS went from 54 to 29 with a stable decline.
Also, I have hoticed a severe FPS drop on focus loss (I'm running a dual monitor setup, noticed a drop from 60 to 15 FPS as I switched focus on Afterburner on 2nd screen)

Georgin95 said:

(I'm running a dual monitor setup, noticed a drop from 60 to 15 FPS as I switched focus on Afterburner on 2nd screen)
I think that's normal - it's happening in every game I've ever played - if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with overall process priority in Windows which's lowered when the application's not focused.

When a game is not in focus the FPS will drop to 15fps.

The Afterburner stats are not showing the PC being out of ram which is what I thought it could be.

Is the footage being recorded to the same drive as the game? If so try another drive.

Is the footage being recorded to the same drive as the game? If so try another drive.

Although it looked like it slowed down the frame loss, it didn't fix the issue. Usually 2 looped benchmark runs are enough to drop the FPS to 5-10, this time it got down to around 15-20.

Also, here's the captured footage from the benchmark, with the results at the end.
https://youtu.be/lvN0me2LROI

Do you have the DiRT Rally shortcut set to run the game in Compatibilty mode?

Also check your steam.exe (properties/compatability tab) to run as administrator.

Have you tried updating to latest nvidia graphics drivers?

Do you have the DiRT Rally shortcut set to run the game in Compatibilty mode?

Also check your steam.exe (properties/compatability tab) to run as administrator.

Have you tried updating to latest nvidia graphics drivers?
Steam has been running as admin.
I had a 358.87 driver, updating to 358.91 didn't resolve the issue.
Running drt.exe in Win 7 compatibility and as admin seems to fix the issue with dropped frames, but it now crashes the game on 3rd benchmark run.

Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers as this fixed stuttering for another community member recently.

Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset drivers as this fixed stuttering for another community member recently.
Installed newest Z77 chipset drivers, issue persists.
Used an Ultra Low graphics preset, issue persists.
Installed an SSD and recording to it now, issue persists.

Installed both game and recording soft to SSD, as well as writing to it and it seems to have solved the issue for now, FPS looks stable over 5 minutes. Will check longer recording session tomorrow.