Jump to content Jump to content

MAX Verstappen has Car Number 1 in F1 2022.

rally36738289

No way! Mercedes is still Car # 1, Power # 1! It was Red Bull's strategy of pitting Max on lap 54 and allowing him moves on Hamilton on severely worn tires! All things equal, it was the Red Bull trying to catch Mercedes before Nikita Mazepin crashed his car! 

Edited by FOneFanatic

Exactly; I've got to agree with Barry here and that was my main point initially.  I think F1 got the call right, simply because ending/deciding a RACING championship under a safety car is just the easiest way to kill any momentum the sport has earned itself with this epic season between two incredible drivers.  The road to the end was littered with questionable calls in favor of, and against each driver. 

I do think a red flag would have been more logical than what they did but I think alot of the confusion for Masi and the stewards came from the initial thought of likely not going back racing with the track not being cleared in time.  When that cleared up quicker than anticipated; things changed.  Unfortunately the pit decisions were already made at that time by Merc and Red Bull but the next priority for them I think became OK, lets finish this season and championship as a RACE.    I do feel bad for Hamilton as they did not pit and couldn't fight a fair fight on tyres, but it's not like anyone took away their option to pit, they most certainly could have; but they chose not to thinking the race wouldn't resume.  It was the wrong choice ultimately.  

As for Max; I hope he keeps 33 next year.  It just looks better.  the number 1 doesn't really look that great on the cars IMO.

And sorry; I misunderstood the original intent of this post.  I thought it was a celebratory post for discussion of the race; not game related as in will MAx have #1 on his car next year  🤣

Edited by petro1319

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

I won't be surprised if Max just keeps his 33 number personally. I'd forgotten the potential number change actually given how Lewis has just stuck with 44.

(The race yesterday ended in embarassment for the sport. Max is a worthy champion based on the season as a whole but Lewis was robbed yesterday.)

I agree. Even if Max was a deserved champion, I don't think he'll run driver number 1. After all, Lewis never did as well. The only drivers I heard about that did this were Prost and Senna, as well as Sebastian Vettel during his time with Red Bull after becoming champion in 2010.

1 hour ago, FOneFanatic said:

No way! Mercedes is still Car # 1, Power # 1! It was Red Bull's strategy of pitting Max on lap 54 and allowing him moves on Hamilton on severely worn tires! All things equal, it was the Red Bull trying to catch Mercedes before Nikita Mazepin crashed his car! 

Actually, it was Latifi who crashed.

9 hours ago, NicoTheJoker said:

I agree. Even if Max was a deserved champion, I don't think he'll run driver number 1. After all, Lewis never did as well. The only drivers I heard about that did this were Prost and Senna, as well as Sebastian Vettel during his time with Red Bull after becoming champion in 2010.

Lewis didn't run because of his image branding, I believe. #LH44 is a marketable product and if you try and then sell #LH1 as your image but don't win a title one year / retire then you have to change all your marketing. 

Well, the option to choose your own numbers only came in around 2014 and Vettel was the first one to choose. He hadn't even chosen a number really as he'd been number1 for years. Not really sure what Senna and Prost have to do with anything as they lived in a time where the champion was mandatory number 1. The only time I don't remember this happening was 94 as Prost retired and Hill was the lead of Williams so was number 0 as he couldn't be 1. 

• Agree 1

Honestly....all other races this season that had barrier damage (like Latifi's crash) ended up red flagged. The fact that they didn't red flag it and instead went under normal SC, then let lapped cars get out of the way - which is not the "normal" procedure when they are behind the leader as it gives them a free lap back, but when they HAVE done this, they wait until they come back around so it's not an immediate problem for the lead cars.

If it got red flagged, Hamilton gets a free set of tyres (which Verstappen did in Jeddah), he wins the championship. If they follow their precedent from before regarding lapped cars staying behind, Hamilton likely wins as passing 5 cars would take half a lap, where he could build a small gap that he could hold onto. If they let them pass then let them catch up, SC continues, race ends under SC.

To those that argue Hamilton's whole race was about that turn 1 infraction: he was pushed off track by Max, and he shouldn't have cut the corner that badly, but come on? Verstappen honestly drives like a ****** off teenager with road rage issues. Jeddah brake-check caused a 2.4 g deceleration - FYI most mid to high performance road cars max out at about 1.2 g's when decelerating (unless you have a Ferrari, Lambo, or other exotic). It wasn't just a brake tap to try to let him by, it was purposefully done to try to gain DRS. The few drivers I've seen commenting on it include Alain Prost, who stated that when you're letting a car pass, the only safe way to do it is to get off the racing line and let off the accelerator. Any other way is dangerous and foolish. That is also what I was taught when racing cars myself (there's also hand signals involved most of the time for road cars).

Also, Perez's driving, while amazing, clearly showed the Red Bull team gave no ***** about racing fairly. He drove insane to hold Hamilton up, knowing that if he knocked himself or Hamilton out, it wouldn't matter for the constructor's championship, but if he damaged Hamilton's car, or knocked him out, Verstappen likely would win.

I am not saying anything should really be done about this at this point, but it seems to me Masi had chosen who he wanted to win, likely hoping for a repeat next year, when HOPEFULLY Verstappen won't nearly kill Hamilton and then say on the radio "That's what you get for not leaving space". So to anyone still claiming Hamilton should've backed out of a turn, look through the vods of the races this year and see how many times Verstappen cut him off / didn't leave space / pushed him off track. Yes, there was the Silverstone crash, but overwhelmingly it's one great driver trying to drive cleanly / safely and another pushing his car to the limit in spite of everyone's safety around him. To me, I don't think Verstappen should be celebrated at all until he stops endangering those around him (7 penalty points currently on his license, only Yuki Tsunoda, a rookie, has more, and Sergio Perez is tied at 7, Hamilton has 2 points from said Silverstone crash).

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:51 PM, Meza994 said:

Not really a good idea. Well in theory it is but the problem is teams will not have 3 extra lap of fule on board because that costs quite a bit. A lot of drivers would just run out of fuel in those laps or get DSQd because no fuel is left for the FIA to analyse

Just add more fuel?

1 hour ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Lewis didn't run because of his image branding, I believe. #LH44 is a marketable product and if you try and then sell #LH1 as your image but don't win a title one year / retire then you have to change all your marketing. 

There's plenty of Max Verstappen merchandise available with the number 33 on it...

3 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

There's plenty of Max Verstappen merchandise available with the number 33 on it...

Max doesn't live off his image though.  Lewis is an international celebrity that transcends the sport and has interests in many other things than just his racing. Max is an exceptional driver that has a primary interest in the driving side, and a few other interests outside it that don't require MV33 to market.

I would have thought that was an obvious interpretation for most people, but I guess not...

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

Max doesn't live off his image though.  Lewis is an international celebrity that transcends the sport and has interests in many other things than just his racing. Max is an exceptional driver that has a primary interest in the driving side, and a few other interests outside it that don't require MV33 to market.

I would have thought that was an obvious interpretation for most people, but I guess not...

Err, no, not remotely obvious. But then I don't really pay any attention to what Lewis does outside of F1. However, I'd suggest the relevant comparison here is to Lewis when he won his first championship, which I'm doubtful is really that different?

Whatever, my guess is Max will stick to number 33. Let's see what happens 🙂.

10 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Err, no, not remotely obvious. But then I don't really pay any attention to what Lewis does outside of F1. However, I'd suggest the relevant comparison here is to Lewis when he won his first championship, which I'm doubtful is really that different?

Evidently it wasn't.

Maybe you don't pay attention to them but that still doesn't mean that they're any less a part of his brand. A brand that Max hasn't built up, nor shown any inclination to do so, let alone base it around his driver number.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the part about Lewis' first title being remotely relevant as they didn't have their own driver numbers in 2009 so only a fool would have built an image around something that most likely will change every year... Lewis' first Mercedes title? Sure. But that doesn't support your point at all as Lewis kept the 44 and built #LH44 around it. 

He may do. Personally, it doesn't bother me what he does with his number. I'm just curious to the game's interpretation of his number and whether it'll change in Season 2 if he doesn't win the title in Career Mode.  If he keeps the 33 in real life then it's a moot question. 

49 minutes ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with the part about Lewis' first title being remotely relevant as they didn't have their own driver numbers in 2009 so only a fool would have built an image around something that most likely will change every year...

Fair point :classic_smile:.

To point to Lewis Hamilton outside of racing: he is SIR Lewis Hamilton in about a day. He also routinely speaks out about tons of issues.

He's comparable to Michael Schumaker in the sense that even people outside of F1 know his name / brand (although Schumaker I don't think tried to build his brand quite so much, just sort of happened pre-internet?)

Similar to the Andretti name in the U.S., even if you don't follow IndyCar or anything, you know the name Mario Andretti.

18 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

But then I don't really pay any attention to what Lewis does outside of F1.

Quick googling gave me this:

- Confronting sportswashing by countries like Bahrain, Qatar, Hungary and Saudi-Arabia (but not Malaysia obviously because of Petronas LOL)
- Supporting movements like Black Lives Matter with public statements like wearing a t-shirt with the text "Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor" during a GP weekend
- The Hamilton Commission (a partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering, goal is to find ways in which motorsport can engage more young people from black backgrounds with science, technology, engineering and mathematics subjects and, ultimately, employ them in motorsport or in other engineering sectors)
- Mission 44 (a charitable foundation created to help young people from under-represented backgrounds achieve their ambitions in wider society, pledged £20m of his personal wealth to support the work of the charity)
- Ignite (a joint charitable foundation between Hamilton and the Mercedes Formula One team, focuses on increasing diversity in motorsport, by improving educational opportunities and offering financial support)
- Lewis Hamilton Foundation (a charitable foundation that provides grants and donations to a number of charitable causes)
- Advocating and donating for environmental issues and animal rights 
- Raising money for UNICEF by appearing in their ads and events
- Visiting sick children in hospitals and inviting young fans to spend race weekends with him
- Donating food to frontline workers during the pandemic
- Donating food to school children
- Donating his personal items to charity auctions
- Being a global ambassador for charities like Save the Children and Invictus Games Foundation
- Supporting charities like Make-A-Wish Foundation, Comic Relief, Rays of Sunshine, Children in Need and Stevenage's Keech Hospice Care Children's Service
- Designing his own clothing line with Tommy Hilfiger
- Owning a team (X44) in Extreme E series
- Appearing in movies (Cars 2-3) and video games (Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, FIFA 22)
- Appearing in talk shows like Good Morning America, The Daily Show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Schumacher did a lot of stuff like that, too, he just kept quiet about it. For example, did you know that he is a honorary citizen of Sarajevo and there's an initiative to name a street after him in some other Bosnian city because he helped build a hospital there after the Bosnian War and also visited many times, bringing gifts to children affected by the war (amputees, disabled, orphans etc.)? You probably didn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sector4 said:

Quick googling gave me this:

- Confronting sportswashing by countries like Bahrain, Qatar, Hungary and Saudi-Arabia (but not Malaysia obviously because of Petronas LOL)
- Supporting movements like Black Lives Matter with public statements like wearing a t-shirt with the text "Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor" during a GP weekend
- The Hamilton Commission (a partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering, goal is to find ways in which motorsport can engage more young people from black backgrounds with science, technology, engineering and mathematics subjects and, ultimately, employ them in motorsport or in other engineering sectors)
- Mission 44 (a charitable foundation created to help young people from under-represented backgrounds achieve their ambitions in wider society, pledged £20m of his personal wealth to support the work of the charity)
- Ignite (a joint charitable foundation between Hamilton and the Mercedes Formula One team, focuses on increasing diversity in motorsport, by improving educational opportunities and offering financial support)
- Lewis Hamilton Foundation (a charitable foundation that provides grants and donations to a number of charitable causes)
- Advocating and donating for environmental issues and animal rights 
- Raising money for UNICEF by appearing in their ads and events
- Visiting sick children in hospitals and inviting young fans to spend race weekends with him
- Donating food to frontline workers during the pandemic
- Donating food to school children
- Donating his personal items to charity auctions
- Being a global ambassador for charities like Save the Children and Invictus Games Foundation
- Supporting charities like Make-A-Wish Foundation, Comic Relief, Rays of Sunshine, Children in Need and Stevenage's Keech Hospice Care Children's Service
- Designing his own clothing line with Tommy Hilfiger
- Owning a team (X44) in Extreme E series
- Appearing in movies (Cars 2-3) and video games (Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, FIFA 22)
- Appearing in talk shows like Good Morning America, The Daily Show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Schumacher did a lot of stuff like that, too, he just kept quiet about it. For example, did you know that he is a honorary citizen of Sarajevo and there's an initiative to name a street after him in some other Bosnian city because he helped build a hospital there after the Bosnian War and also visited many times, bringing gifts to children affected by the war (amputees, disabled, orphans etc.)? You probably didn't. 

Didn't know the specifics of Schumacher, but honestly knew a lot of that about Lewis, which is why he's my favorite driver. Being a genuinely good person outside of racing matters to me. Even announcing all of that, there's no way that's all about just building his brand and staying rich and famous. Staying rich and famous and brand building is a usually the opposite of taking stands on social and moral issues.

Same reason why I really liked Peyton Manning for american football (I'm american). After a children's hospital in Indianapolis saved his kid's life, he donated $250m of his money anonymously, and the hospital asked him if he'd mind if they announced it, and renamed their hospital "Peyton Manning Children's Hospital" for branding / name recognition purposes. He accepted, and let them use his name.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, NicoTheJoker said:

Not gonna lie, I am kinda happy to see the rise of a new World Champion, but, and here is the HUGE BUT, do you think, after the aggressive driving that Verstappen pulled in:

1. Monza, knocking himself and Hamilton out of the race with an offensive passing attempt into the first chicane, in which the crash would've KILLED (!!!) Lewis if it wasn't for the halo...
  2. Jeddah, in which he brake-checked Lewis, cut the corners several times and drove very offensive overall, I still don't get why he didn't get black flagged for all this offensive driving...
  3. Yas Marina, after all the things he apparently should've done (I didn't see the race, sorry) including overtakes during the Safety Car Phase...

I didn't see all the races, but do you seriously think that an offensive driver like Max Verstappen deserves the Driver World Championship in any way? Honestly, if I was Masi, I would've disqualified Verstappen on the spot for all these incidents caused in Jeddah, and he would deserve a 5 second penalty for the (apparent) overtakes in Yas Marina.

I'm not taking sides here, I'm just saying what I feel, and honestly, to see that Lewis Hamilton lost the fight makes me lose hope about the record for the most Championship titles to EVER be broken... Which hasn't been the case in 17 years now. And if Hamilton retires before taking his 8th championship, it probably never will... 😢 But, if this is what F1 has become, a pure demolition derby and penalty lottery, well, I can understand what Verstappen meant with 'They're doing a great job at killing racing'.

You forgot about silverstone where Hamilton took out max and Hamilton didn’t get any penalty but max got a penalty for all his .. plus he didn’t brake test him he was told to give the position to Hamilton but Hamilton team didn’t pass it on quick enough max yet again paid the price. There was a lot of wrong stuff between both. Russell will be champ in 2022

Max is the devil 😁

Rules are rules and you just can’t ignore them to make things more exciting...   It was an unjust decision.  Is Masi on the Red bull Xmas card list I wonder?  He is corrupt imo.

Only fair way finishing the race as they opted.. would have been To pre warn Mercedes that max was coming in to change to softs.  So the start off the last lap would have had both drivers on the same tyre... But then Max would have just taken Lewis out as that is his way. 

Edited by ScaredDuck
  • Agree 1

On 12/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, Ultra3142 said:

He's said a handful of times already that he'd take the #1 if he won and today it's been apparently confirmed already since the weekend. I say apparently only because I already heard from him directly in one of the times the media pestered him with the question, so didn't feel like reading beyond the multiple headlines.

Drivers and their racing numbers. Some treat them as a thing of mysticism almost, some pour a lot of personal meaning into it. There's the whole marketing side of things too, but Max? I think that, of the current grid, he's probably the one I'd be most certain would grab the 1 in a heartbeat. There's a certain aura about him and pure racing in a way, I bet he'll rejoice in being the reigning champion for as long as he can.

That said, oh how I would do freaking love to see Daniel just go and turn his 3 into the 33 for the dares and the giggles and the giggling dare!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, NicoTheJoker said:

I dunno. It's his first year with Mercedes, so I'd say Lewis takes 1st, and George maybe 4th, behind Verstappen and Leclerc.

Nevertheless, go Mercedes, for the 9th Constructor title in a row! #Hyped 🎊

Actually think as Perez will still be at red bull... he will obviously be 4th or lower... But problem Mercedes will have is Russell and Lewis will end up sharing points at tracks Mercedes are strong.  And where Red bull are strong Max will take maximum points..  So I predict if Mercedes and Red bull are the two main contenders next season... Max will win championship again by a margin but Mercedes will still win constructors