Jump to content Jump to content

MAX Verstappen has Car Number 1 in F1 2022.

rally36738289

2 hours ago, marioho said:

That said, oh how I would do freaking love to see Daniel just go and turn his 3 into the 33 for the dares and the giggles and the giggling dare!

Isn't the 33 number protection for a while? 2 years maybe? I'm sure I've heard that Kim's 7 can't be used by anyone else yet.

• Agree 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:01 AM, CgSquall said:

To point to Lewis Hamilton outside of racing: he is SIR Lewis Hamilton in about a day. He also routinely speaks out about tons of issues.

I get your point but he's Sir Lewis Hamilton because he's a 7-time champion, not because he's a good egg outside of motorsports.  Your point about his external exploits will be more relevant when he gets his MBE for services to Charity and Social awareness.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, Sector4 said:

Schumacher did a lot of stuff like that, too, he just kept quiet about it. For example, did you know that he is a honorary citizen of Sarajevo and there's an initiative to name a street after him in some other Bosnian city because he helped build a hospital there after the Bosnian War and also visited many times, bringing gifts to children affected by the war (amputees, disabled, orphans etc.)? You probably didn't. 

I do think people have an opinion of Schumacher that he was hard-as-nails and uncompromising.  Quite a few drivers of the time have said that, while Michael was a machine on the track who took it to the limit, he was actually a different person off the track and an actual decent person.  There are loads of Schumacher stories if you look for them but he was a much more private person than Lewis.  However, that doesn't detract from either of their exploits to help the less-fortunate and both should be commended. 

22 hours ago, CgSquall said:

Didn't know the specifics of Schumacher, but honestly knew a lot of that about Lewis, which is why he's my favorite driver. Being a genuinely good person outside of racing matters to me. Even announcing all of that, there's no way that's all about just building his brand and staying rich and famous. Staying rich and famous and brand building is a usually the opposite of taking stands on social and moral issues.

I agree, and slightly disagree. Your general point is completely correct. However, the bit in bold is the bit i've slight contention with.  His social justice works because of his brand.  If he didn't have the fame of motorsports and his music/fashion/etc that he's umbrella'd under #LH44 then, even with the best will in the world, his voice wouldn't really carry much weight.  He needs the profile to be high to utilise it efficiently.   I don't argue he's using his voice in the best way but the two go hand-in-hand. 

18 hours ago, maxim650 said:

Russell will be champ in 2022

Offt, big shout!   It'd be nice to see someone young making those moves but I don't see it.   Russell is fast. Russell is opportunistic. However, Russell is also smart.  Russell will know that Hammy is the main man and his main role will be to support him for the next season and then he'll take over the reigns as main man the following year.   I do think if Russell smells a chance at the title though, he'll go for it. Say, they finish race 18 of 22 and he's less than 30 points behind.   He does need to be challenging though by the time Lewis leaves or I think Merc will look for another headline act.  If he does well over the next year or two then, I can see Ocon going to Merc. Maybe Norris would be a good fit but he's potentially too competitive and it'll be a Hamilton/Rosberg situation again. Vesti is too young.  Schumacher an outside bet if Sainz maintains his current level as Ferrari wouldn't need to drop him.    However, I think Red Bull won't be as competitive at the start of the season so Merc are the only team who I think can last the entire season so Hammy to win his 8th. 

4 hours ago, marioho said:

He's said a handful of times already that he'd take the #1 if he won and today it's been apparently confirmed already since the weekend. I say apparently only because I already heard from him directly in one of the times the media pestered him with the question, so didn't feel like reading beyond the multiple headlines.

Drivers and their racing numbers. Some treat them as a thing of mysticism almost, some pour a lot of personal meaning into it. There's the whole marketing side of things too, but Max? I think that, of the current grid, he's probably the one I'd be most certain would grab the 1 in a heartbeat. There's a certain aura about him and pure racing in a way, I bet he'll rejoice in being the reigning champion for as long as he can.

That said, oh how I would do freaking love to see Daniel just go and turn his 3 into the 33 for the dares and the giggles and the giggling dare!

I think you've pretty much encapsulated Max's character there.   He's definitely more 'old-school' in his style so i'm not surprised he likes the ego boost of being the number 1. 

Danny is just the type of character to do that to be a pain for Max. Although Max would just say he doesn't care as he'll be number 1 for the next few years anyway. However, the number 33 is tied to Max for at least two years after he last uses it and I expect it'll still be reserved if he's an active driver even if he's World Champion for the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:44 AM, maxim650 said:

You forgot about silverstone where Hamilton took out max and Hamilton didn’t get any penalty but max got a penalty for all his .. plus he didn’t brake test him he was told to give the position to Hamilton but Hamilton team didn’t pass it on quick enough max yet again paid the price. There was a lot of wrong stuff between both. Russell will be champ in 2022

Few things: Hamilton DID get 2 penalty points put onto his license for that accident. And telemetry showed that Max braked hard enough to cause a 2.4 g deceleration. That is not insignificant or just "trying to give the position back" as previously stated by other drivers and previous champions as well, the way you give a position back is get off the racing line and let off the gas, not stay on the racing line, swerve around like an idiot to keep him behind you, then slam on the brakes (read 2.4g deceleration. This is literally about 50% of an F1 car's total braking capacity) right before a DRS checkpoint to try to ensure you have DRS to immediately pass him again.

Edit: Copied from Wikipedia to back claim about 50% of braking capacity "An average F1 car can decelerate from 100 to 0 km/h (62 to 0 mph) in about 15 meters (48 ft), compared with a 2009 BMW M3, which needs 31 meters (102 ft). When braking from higher speeds, aerodynamic downforce enables tremendous deceleration: 4.5 g to 5.0 g (44 to 49 m/s2), and up to 5.5 g (54 m/s2) at the high-speed circuits such as the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Canadian GP) and the Autodromo Nazionale Monza (Italian GP). This contrasts with 1.0 g to 1.5 g (10 to 15 m/s2) for the best sports cars (the Bugatti Veyron is claimed to be able to brake at 1.3 g). An F1 car can brake from 200 km/h (124 mph) to a complete stop in just 2.9 seconds, using only 65 metres (213 ft).[31]"

Edited by CgSquall

15 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

I agree, and slightly disagree. Your general point is completely correct. However, the bit in bold is the bit i've slight contention with.  His social justice works because of his brand.  If he didn't have the fame of motorsports and his music/fashion/etc that he's umbrella'd under #LH44 then, even with the best will in the world, his voice wouldn't really carry much weight.  He needs the profile to be high to utilise it efficiently.   I don't argue he's using his voice in the best way but the two go hand-in-hand. 

Sorry I wasn't more clear: my point was that while the brand drives the social justice and actions, the social justice and actions arguably detract from his brand, as it narrows his "customers". You see it in rich and famous people a lot, especially companies / brands as a whole.

Hypothetical but sadly not far out of truth example:

"Will you take a stand against the genocide in Asia?"

Nike: Are they killing our employees in Sri Lanka? No? No comment then.

Seriously, the only responses I ever get out of Nike are when I tried to go into their employee store wearing Adidas. - Not a joke at all, they will not let you in, even if you have a pass, if you are wearing competing brands.

Max needed to win the title this year...  with Russell going to Mercedes and assuming the top teams stay as they are I could quite easily see max and Lewis taking eachother out whenever they get wheel to wheel and George just banging in fast consistent laps every race and running away with the title.  Then following year  Mercedes sign Norris😁 and unless redbull find a power plant that matches Mercedes,  I can see max being best off the rest.   Only way I see max winning another title is if Ferrari sort themselves out and sign him.  

But that said I’m out off my face and just talking nonsense 

8 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Max needed to win the title this year...  with Russell going to Mercedes and assuming the top teams stay as they are I could quite easily see max and Lewis taking eachother out whenever they get wheel to wheel and George just banging in fast consistent laps every race and running away with the title.  Then following year  Mercedes sign Norris😁 and unless redbull find a power plant that matches Mercedes,  I can see max being best off the rest.   Only way I see max winning another title is if Ferrari sort themselves out and sign him.  

But that said I’m out off my face and just talking nonsense 

I can see that.

Hell, let's go all the way crazy: Nikita Mazepin 2022 world champion. His dad just rebadges a Mercedes car as a "Haas" car, claims he bought it to even the playing field for his son, and promises George he can win 2023.

Edit: Serious worry though the way he's going: I am afraid Max Verstappen will only "get it" that he's driving too aggressively when he seriously injures or kills himself or someone else.

Edited by CgSquall
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CgSquall said:

I can see that.

Hell, let's go all the way crazy: Nikita Mazepin 2022 world champion. His dad just rebadges a Mercedes car as a "Haas" car, claims he bought it to even the playing field for his son, and promises George he can win 2023.

Edit: Serious worry though the way he's going: I am afraid Max Verstappen will only "get it" that he's driving too aggressively when he seriously injures or kills himself or someone else.

Right now I don’t think there’s anyone better than max when it comes to ability...  however he loses the plot when he sees Hamilton... And seems he has to pass him at all costs to prove he’s the better racer.  Which results in them colliding or as Has happened a few times Hamilton has opened his steering and gone wide  to avoid Max’s misjudged lunges

You would think marzipan knowing he’s clearly out off his depth would tell his dad... Thanks dad but I’ve had enough off humiliating myself.  Time to walk away

Edited by ScaredDuck

21 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

Isn't the 33 number protection for a while? 2 years maybe? I'm sure I've heard that Kim's 7 can't be used by anyone else yet.

The #33 will be protected until Max has been out of F1 for 2 years. Even if he keeps using the #1 for the next 15 years straight, nobody can take the #33 because it's still Max's "actual" number.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Right now I don’t think there’s anyone better than max when it comes to ability...  however he loses the plot when he sees Hamilton... And seems he has to pass him at all costs to prove he’s the better racer.  Which results in them colliding or as Has happened a few times Hamilton has opened his steering and gone wide  to avoid Max’s misjudged lunges

You would think marzipan knowing he’s clearly out off his depth would tell his dad... Thanks dad but I’ve had enough off humiliating myself.  Time to walk away

Yeah....someone wrote an opinion piece recently that Lewis has become "too nice" which opened the door for Max with his antics and that's the bigger reason he lost the championship, having looked at the whole season.

Not sure how I feel about that honestly.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:33 AM, SmokyAtom07 said:

I get your point but he's Sir Lewis Hamilton because he's a 7-time champion, not because he's a good egg outside of motorsports.  Your point about his external exploits will be more relevant when he gets his MBE for services to Charity and Social awareness.

I honestly don't know (as an American, and the internet is no help really), can a single person have different levels on the OBE list for different things? I.e. Knight for sports, Member for charity / social issues? If not I'm pretty sure we'll just have to settle that Lewis is a pretty class act when it comes to sports personalities / people, especially when compared to the "professionals" here in the US....

16 minutes ago, CgSquall said:

Yeah....someone wrote an opinion piece recently that Lewis has become "too nice" which opened the door for Max with his antics and that's the bigger reason he lost the championship, having looked at the whole season.

Not sure how I feel about that honestly.

I honestly don't know (as an American, and the internet is no help really), can a single person have different levels on the OBE list for different things? I.e. Knight for sports, Member for charity / social issues? If not I'm pretty sure we'll just have to settle that Lewis is a pretty class act when it comes to sports personalities / people, especially when compared to the "professionals" here in the US....

That and Bottas on a number off occasions just let max sail by.  Whereas Perez On the only occasion he could directly help his team mate did everything he could to slow Lewis.

Im not a fan off Lewis whinging personality.  However I like that he raises and acts on issues  that are important to him.      Whilst understanding the lack off diversity in the sport isn’t because the sport is institutionally racist 

16 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

That and Bottas on a number off occasions just let max sail by.  Whereas Perez On the only occasion he could directly help his team mate did everything he could to slow Lewis.

Im not a fan off Lewis whinging personality.  However I like that he raises and acts on issues  that are important to him.      Whilst understanding the lack off diversity in the sport isn’t because the sport is institutionally racist 

Yeah...the sport itself isn't, but the world is, and so are economics in general, and auto racing is a pretty expensive sport to get into. Therefore auto racing severely lacks diversity as the richer you are *Cough* Mazepin *cough* the better chance you have at making it. Unfortunately though, that is true for nearly everything in the world....

Edit: The above is also a reason why I was a bigger fan of the sport itself when there was a rule against team orders. I know they still did team orders, but they were sneakier about it. Not just outright on radio saying "Hold him up, hold him up". And Merc for their part at least I don't think ever issued a team order like that to Bottas - partially because I don't think Toto Wolff ever thought they'd actually lose.

Honestly this whole ending brings back to mind the one "not a team order but was a team order" that was under a lot of scrutiny almost ten? years ago. Alonso pitted, then his teammate crashed (oh nooooo) in a suspicious way, causing a safety car. Alonso stayed out, getting the lead on fresh tyres, everyone else pitted, and he ended up winning the race. Especially given how the safety car shenanigans occurred this time, if they don't straighten the rulebook / team orders out some, we WILL be seeing stuff like this happen again. Horner totally would ask Checo to crash to bring out a SC if it meant beating Merc again.

Edited by CgSquall
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, CgSquall said:

Yeah...the sport itself isn't, but the world is, and so are economics in general, and auto racing is a pretty expensive sport to get into. Therefore auto racing severely lacks diversity as the richer you are *Cough* Mazepin *cough* the better chance you have at making it. Unfortunately though, that is true for nearly everything in the world....

Edit: The above is also a reason why I was a bigger fan of the sport itself when there was a rule against team orders. I know they still did team orders, but they were sneakier about it. Not just outright on radio saying "Hold him up, hold him up". And Merc for their part at least I don't think ever issued a team order like that to Bottas - partially because I don't think Toto Wolff ever thought they'd actually lose.

Honestly this whole ending brings back to mind the one "not a team order but was a team order" that was under a lot of scrutiny almost ten? years ago. Alonso pitted, then his teammate crashed (oh nooooo) in a suspicious way, causing a safety car. Alonso stayed out, getting the lead on fresh tyres, everyone else pitted, and he ended up winning the race. Especially given how the safety car shenanigans occurred this time, if they don't straighten the rulebook / team orders out some, we WILL be seeing stuff like this happen again. Horner totally would ask Checo to crash to bring out a SC if it meant beating Merc again.

Wasn’t that sennas nephew that crashed on purpose.

At start off the season I believe their shouldn’t be team orders.  But as the season pans out to where one driver is in with a shout off winning the title(Lewis) and one has consistently and constantly underperformed (Bottas) then that driver should support the team whenever needed.  After all it may not be a team sport in the normal sense but your still in a team

On 12/13/2021 at 4:43 AM, BarryBL said:

From a game perspective, whatever numbers drivers have and choose, it would be honoured in our contractual agreement as part of the licence. 

In terms of the potential for wider debate here, steering well clear. As long as everyone remains respectful, all good from my books. Was one mammoth show though, I was screaming at the TV and didn't really have a dog in the fight (Most here know I'm a Ferrari fan). Having a championship end behind a Safety Car, for what its worth as my opinion, would've been a unjust end to a incredible competition that captured the globes attention and a terrible advert for the sport. Again, just my opinion.

omg thank goodness someone finally sees that had we have it end under the safety car, it would have been a bad way to end the season

3 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Ahh thanks...Knew it was a relation off a former driver. Senna only guy I could think off 

It was Nelson Piquet Jr.

And - for a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances that have no apparent causal connection with one another - Verstappen's girlfriend is his sister Kelly Piquet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoSuarez99 said:

omg thank goodness someone finally sees that had we have it end under the safety car, it would have been a bad way to end the season

I agree it would've been a bad way to end the season. The precedent that I wanted, and honestly I think most fans would've preferred, is to red flag the race immediately, both get a "free" change of tyres so there's no back and forth of footsies of who will pit and who won't, and just restart with 5 laps left, winner take all shootout.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, CgSquall said:

I agree it would've been a bad way to end the season. The precedent that I wanted, and honestly I think most fans would've preferred, is to red flag the race immediately, both get a "free" change of tyres so there's no back and forth of footsies of who will pit and who won't, and just restart with 5 laps left, winner take all shootout.

I don’t like Horner.  Have never liked red bull or Mercedes for that matter.  Orange is best.

But I will say this about Horner and redbull.   they constantly catch Mercedes out by changing strategy on the fly.  Whereas Mercedes strategy seems to be either plan a or b which they came up with before the start off the race

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

I don’t like Horner.  Have never liked red bull or Mercedes for that matter.  Orange is best.

But I will say this about Horner and redbull.   they constantly catch Mercedes out by changing strategy on the fly.  Whereas Mercedes strategy seems to be either plan a or b which they came up with before the start off the race

Until the Andretti family gets off their butts and buys Sauber, or ponies up the ridiculous "dilution fee" (it's 150 million euros, FYI) to just create their own team, I "am" a "Haas fan" because I want to root for the "home team" as a native of Indianapolis in the US. Although past that, I like Alfa Romeo actually, so....go less fun Red?

If Ford / Cosworth would get back in it at all, that'd be my go to (my IRL last name is Ford, no relation, but it'd be fun.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CgSquall said:

Until the Andretti family gets off their butts and buys Sauber, or ponies up the ridiculous "dilution fee" (it's 150 million euros, FYI) to just create their own team, I "am" a "Haas fan" because I want to root for the "home team" as a native of Indianapolis in the US. Although past that, I like Alfa Romeo actually, so....go less fun Red?

If Ford / Cosworth would get back in it at all, that'd be my go to (my IRL last name is Ford, no relation, but it'd be fun.)

Being a chest thumping Brit I by default love seeing anything American fail.   Tongue in cheek, friendly banter and rivalry you understand.  But haas racing  I only know off because My all time childhood racing idol.... Mr moustache himself Nigel.  Drove in Indycar for Newman haas decades ago and dominated.   I want them to succeed in f1 Haas is a world renowned racing team and seeing them always at the back doesn’t seem right.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Being a chest thumping Brit I by default love seeing anything American fail.   Tongue in cheek, friendly banter and rivalry you understand.  But haas racing  I only know off because My all time childhood racing idol.... Mr moustache himself Nigel.  Drove in Indycar for Newman haas decades ago and dominated.   I want them to succeed in f1 Haas is a world renowned racing team and seeing them always at the back doesn’t seem right.  

Oh I get it, I don't really have that about any one nationality or anything myself...well...now that I think about it, any team from New England, especially the Boston area I want to see do very poorly.

More than anything though, I want the US Grand Prix to move from Austin. I personally think the Portland International Raceway would be amazing to see F1 on, or Virginia International Race, or friggin' Laguna Seca...but Laguna may have too sharp of a sudden drop and would cause damage to F1 cars unless they jacked the ride height up....

Edited by CgSquall

1 hour ago, CgSquall said:

Oh I get it, I don't really have that about any one nationality or anything myself...well...now that I think about it, any team from New England, especially the Boston area I want to see do very poorly.

More than anything though, I want the US Grand Prix to move from Austin. I personally think the Portland International Raceway would be amazing to see F1 on, or Virginia International Race, or friggin' Laguna Seca...but Laguna may have too sharp of a sudden drop and would cause damage to F1 cars unless they jacked the ride height up....

I mentioned Laguna and front wings being a issue but someone replied that they have taken an f1 car for a jolly round it without issue.  Would be a great venue.

Not been to the states but if I did I’d love to go to Boston and San Diego.  They both look great in pictures 😁

6 hours ago, CgSquall said:

In hindsight I expect most would probably agree that an immediate red flag would have worked out better but honestly at the time what happened didn't seem to warrant a red flag. 

Whilst I understand that as a hypothetical concept the idea of finishing behind a safety car sounds bad I strongly feel it would have been better than what we got. There would have been far less controversy as it would have been clear that normally understood procedures would have been followed.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

In hindsight I expect most would probably agree that an immediate red flag would have worked out better but honestly at the time what happened didn't seem to warrant a red flag. 

Whilst I understand that as a hypothetical concept the idea of finishing behind a safety car sounds bad I strongly feel it would have been better than what we got. There would have been far less controversy as it would have been clear that normally understood procedures would have been followed.

Not even sure if he finished the race.  But as he now Lewis teammate and at the time it was his teammate that led to this outcome. As soon as the race restarted. Russell should have driven straight into a wall 😎😂

Because that would have been his last opportunity to be on good terms with Lewis.  Cause next season there will only be hate.  Rosberg/Lewis Prost/senna