Jump to content Jump to content

MAX Verstappen has Car Number 1 in F1 2022.

rally36738289

5 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Not even sure if he finished the race.  But as he now Lewis teammate and at the time it was his teammate that led to this outcome. As soon as the race restarted. Russell should have driven straight into a wall 😎😂

Because that would have been his last opportunity to be on good terms with Lewis.  Cause next season there will only be hate.  Rosberg/Lewis Prost/senna

He was out way before then so couldn’t do it even if he wanted. 
That being said I think both Russell, and Lewis, would find the idea of George crashing to get Lewis winning to be UNACCEPTABLE <—- I’m sure someone will get the reference.

In reference to your second point; I also don’t think George will be on Lewis’ pace immediately.   I know Bottas gets a lot of stick for being slower than Lewis but he’s not a bad driver and he can’t even hold a candle to hammy.   I think George is a sensational driver as I’ve watched him through the feeder series and I’d have him, Leclerc and Vandoorne as the drivers who impressed me the most. Piastri is another one who I think has done brilliantly but I’m less convinced of his outright talent, just his superior racing brain to his F2 competitors. He’s worth a mention in the same breath as the others. Anyway, I digress, I think George will be on speed by the end of the season but I think the car is made around hamiltons skill set (like the red bull for max) and that means he won’t be in championship contention when it matters.

4 hours ago, SmokyAtom07 said:

He was out way before then so couldn’t do it even if he wanted. 
That being said I think both Russell, and Lewis, would find the idea of George crashing to get Lewis winning to be UNACCEPTABLE <—- I’m sure someone will get the reference.

In reference to your second point; I also don’t think George will be on Lewis’ pace immediately.   I know Bottas gets a lot of stick for being slower than Lewis but he’s not a bad driver and he can’t even hold a candle to hammy.   I think George is a sensational driver as I’ve watched him through the feeder series and I’d have him, Leclerc and Vandoorne as the drivers who impressed me the most. Piastri is another one who I think has done brilliantly but I’m less convinced of his outright talent, just his superior racing brain to his F2 competitors. He’s worth a mention in the same breath as the others. Anyway, I digress, I think George will be on speed by the end of the season but I think the car is made around hamiltons skill set (like the red bull for max) and that means he won’t be in championship contention when it matters.

I wasn’t being serious.  I honestly wouldn’t expect Russell to do something like that.

As for Hamilton.  He wouldn’t have cared how he got his hands on this years title. He’s a sportsman and even if the opportunity presented itself to take max out without risk to himself. He wouldn’t.  But he knows this season was probably his best chance off having more titles than Schumacher.

And although he’s still an amazing driver and tons off experience.  He’s made some mistakes this year because his age is catching up with him.  His brain is still processing at warp speed.  But his body isnt reacting at the same speed on occasions.

Imola and Baku. Plus plenty off little errors a  Younger Hamilton wouldn’t have made.  

Schumacher was the same in his last season although he had the extra jeopardy off being amongst the pack.

Hamiltons race craft and experience will easily handle Russell in close quarters.  That I’m sure will take Russell time to gain confidence with himself and the car.

But

Russell is young hungry and  Fast very very fast.  Hamilton’s experience and race craft will only be able to look on as Russell drives off into the distance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Not even sure if he finished the race.  But as he now Lewis teammate and at the time it was his teammate that led to this outcome. As soon as the race restarted. Russell should have driven straight into a wall 😎😂

Because that would have been his last opportunity to be on good terms with Lewis.  Cause next season there will only be hate.  Rosberg/Lewis Prost/senna

Russell was already out by then if I remember right.

Finally came out from Perez himself though, that this is why Red Bull retired his car all of a sudden. His engine was on the borderline of going boom and they were afraid it'd poof under the SC, and end up extending the SC.

Now THAT would've been poetic justice for his earlier antics in the race, and an ending I would laugh about clear til next season's opener.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

I wasn’t being serious.  I honestly wouldn’t expect Russell to do something like that.

As for Hamilton.  He wouldn’t have cared how he got his hands on this years title. He’s a sportsman and even if the opportunity presented itself to take max out without risk to himself. He wouldn’t.  But he knows this season was probably his best chance off having more titles than Schumacher.

And although he’s still an amazing driver and tons off experience.  He’s made some mistakes this year because his age is catching up with him.  His brain is still processing at warp speed.  But his body isnt reacting at the same speed on occasions.

Imola and Baku. Plus plenty off little errors a  Younger Hamilton wouldn’t have made.  

Schumacher was the same in his last season although he had the extra jeopardy off being amongst the pack.

Hamiltons race craft and experience will easily handle Russell in close quarters.  That I’m sure will take Russell time to gain confidence with himself and the car.

But

Russell is young hungry and  Fast very very fast.  Hamilton’s experience and race craft will only be able to look on as Russell drives off into the distance.

I got that you weren’t being overly serious 🙂

I think Lewis would indeed accept a controversial finish but only one that couldn’t be traced back to him.  Russell suddenly binning it into a wall would taint the victory in a far-too-obvious way and his ego wouldn’t accept that.  He can’t go preaching his sermons if he’s profiting off cheating! 😂

I don’t know if his age is particularly catching up to him. It’s not unreasonable as Kimi, Alonso, Schumi (and to a lesser extent, Seb) all show signs of not being as good as they used to be, while still showing their true skill.   However, I’d attribute his mistakes to more along the lines of ‘ring-rust’.  He wasn’t used to having an actual consistent challenge and the pressure hit at critical points.  Hamilton made alot of mistakes in his McLaren days and they conveniently stopped when he was 30 seconds ahead of everyone else. 
I think next season depends on Russell. I don’t think Hamilton’s race craft is that great against cars he’s not 2 seconds faster than a lap. (See his McLaren days and battles against Max).  I don’t think Russell will overstep his boundaries in his first season but, if he did, he would have a chance. 

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:06 PM, petro1319 said:

If the FIA does that; I'm likely done with F1.  They'll lose all credibility in my books.  I'm not a Lewis or Max fan but I'm a fan of RACING.  I watched a season worth of great racing between these two.  I do not under any circumstance want to see a race end under a safety car; especially one that is going to decide a championship.  I get it; yellow flags are part of racing.  We all know that, but for the sake of sporting and competition you shouldn't end a race and championship like that.  Especially when you blatantly disregarding your rules already on lap 1 when Hamilton clearly went off track and clearly gained an advantage.  That was a racing move/pass that rather than backing out Hamilton chose to go off track, and how you can say he didn't gain an advantage when they went into the corner with Max ahead, yet come out of the corner with lewis about a second ahead. 

Either way though; they made a decision to let 5 lapped cars through, and not the other few.  Who cares?  They always let them through under a safety car.  The only difference here is they didn't have the extra lap under the safety car.  Generally that is done so the lapped cars have sufficient time to get to the back of the pack and out of the way.  At this point though it doesnt matter, they allowed them through early enough to have a large enough gap between them and the leaders.  The remaining lapped cars at the back of the pack are already at the back.  Their involvement in the last lap is irrlevant in the grand scheme of things so IMO the right choice is to let them finish under green, racing conditions.  this is RACING afterall; not a parade.

Mercedes is upset; I get that.  Their decision not to pit was based on their assumption the race would not go back under green.  They didn't want to give up the track position knowing if they pitted, Max wouldn't.   Red Bull had nothing to lose and gambled chosing to pit.  Ultimately they got the track cleared in time and we went back racing for a lap.  The lapped cars were hurried through so we could have a finish to a race and to a championship under actual RACING conditions.  Mercedes should have been prepared for the fact they may go back racing, and they should have known Red Bull would do the opposite of them. 

Imagine if this way... if Merc pits Hamilton, Max stays out for the position and to get the lead.  You now have 5 lapped cars in the way between Hamilton and Max and the same decision is made to pass them through; it's still the right decision IMO and we likely have the opposite outcome since Hamilton had a set of softs left anyways.  I want a RACE, not a parade to the finish to dictate a remarkable season.  Also; why would anyone want to see the 5 lapped cars stuck between the driver in 1st, and the driver in 2nd? Their race is OVER already with one lap to go and being a lap down; so who cares?  The only logical explanation I can see for anyone wanting that is so that their favorite driver in this race walks away with a win under the SC, or walks away with an easy win given the 5 lapped cars in the way.  Either way though if they were going back green; the lapped cars were getting through.  The process was rushed; big deal.  It's still the normal process; just condensed so the sport to have a RACING finish.  The only problem here is that one team made a strategy call that worked, one didn't and the only other problem here is the fans on either side bickering about it now.

Maybe it's just me because I'm not a diehard supporter of either driver and I'm looking at this from the racing standpoint but I think the right decision was made today, and if F1/FIA wants to overturn a race and championship this far after the completion because they can't eliminate the team politics from their sport, then it's likely not a sport I want to invest my time and energy into.

On that note; F1 needs to do 4 things this offseason IMO:

1. Find a way to eliminate SC/VSC finishes.  Nobody want to see a race end like that; especially one that decides a championship.

2. Clarify your rules around overtaking and penalties.  It's ridiculously inconsistent right now.

3. Prevent changing of tyres and repairing cars under red flag conditions.

4. Stop teams from being able to lobby directly to the race directors and stewards.  They have the authority to make the rules enforcement decisions and should be able to do so in a completely unbiased manner without pressure from the team principals.  All the whining and crying by Horner and Wolff this season was becoming enough as it is to make me not want to bother watching.

You are cleary biased 

On 12/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, GoSuarez99 said:

omg thank goodness someone finally sees that had we have it end under the safety car, it would have been a bad way to end the season

I understand the sentiment, but I respectfully disagree.

Ending the season under the construct of the rules and precedent at that time (whatever those may be, and however right or wrong they are), would have been infinitely better than finishing the way it did. Everyone would have understood that, even if it was an anti-climax; “Oh well, them’s the rules”.

Clearly what we ended up getting has, apart from generating some-short term headlines, been detrimental to the way the F1 is seen as a sport and perceived overall.

Sport always has the possibility to be exciting, but it does not “always” have to be, and certainly not to the extent that the excitement needs to be manufactured by it’s authorities. If it’s not in the rules then that’s just the way it has to be at the time. Change the rules after if necessary, but the integrity of the contest has to be maintained by the sport’s administration - we’ve had races and season finale’s finish under the SC before.

I feel sorry for both contenders. Max is a deserving champion no doubt, but his championship has been tainted, and I hope he gets another WDC so this fades into the background - he deserves better. Lewis would have won that race had the rules and precedence been followed (and by extension) his 8th championship - he deserves better. 

A sorry situation all round for F1 and an entirely avoidable self-inflicted wound IMO.

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 1