Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using Logitech G920 with F1 2015

I have bought a g920 today, and have been playing f1 2015 on Xbox one. You turn on the wheel, fine, start the f1 game, and the steering lock is automatically set to 360 degrees, brilliant, I've done all the wheel settings for all game modes, but after a while at random points, more often online., it just suddenly turns the lock off and becomes undriveable, the lock goes back to 900 degrees. It is extremely frustrating and the only I can get it to come back on is to close the game and restart. I tried turning the wheel off and on whilst still in the game and this makes the game have a hissy fit and the wheel does not work at all.

Also is there anyway to change the brake pressure so I have to push it less to reach 100%? And  I have no proper stand it's difficult to the get the pressure on the pedal?

Which platform are you on? When the lock changes what device is shown in the controller settings? Has it changed from when it was working correctly?

Have the same problem here (Xbox One User with a G920). Found out that any interaction with the Xbox one OS resets the wheel to 900 degree.

I'd start the game up, 360 degree lock (Nice!), then I'd press the start button to get to the main menu and it would ask me to choose a user (which brings up the xbox OS) and bam, the rotation resets. So I restart the game and don't have to choose a user because it remembers me, so I maintain the 360 degree lock. But then if snap any app, use Game DVR, or even just suspend the game, the lock will reset. Basically any interaction with the Xbox OS switches the wheel into the mode it is in when Xbox OS is being used. Switching back to the game, the game does not re-initiate the 360 degree lock.

With 360 degree lock, the game shows a logitech g920 connected. After the lock has been reset it still shows the G920 connected. Nothing has changed in the controller settings, the lock is just lost until the game is restarted.

As for the pedals that's another issue that I have also. It's impossible to reach 100% braking. The G920 brake pedal has progressive resistance, but even with full force it does not reach 100% braking. Tried everything with it, but nothing had solved it. Now you see in other games there's a setting to alter the brake sensitivity. Codemasters have called it brake saturation in their games. The setting has been in every single Codemasters game except for F1 2015. There's braking deadzone, and braking linearity, but no saturation and saturation is what would solve the issue. 

Please Codemasters, either adjust the default braking sensitivity for the G920 braking pedal or patch in the option to adjust braking saturation. Please fix the 360 degree lock as well! I've posted the bug reports for all of this in the appropriate sections. Other racing games are fine, it's just F1 2015 where the problem is occurring.

Thank you so much for posting this, now you mention about the lock resetting, mine kept doing it the other day when I was trying to use party chat on my controller at the same time (why is there no mic port in the wheel!!!) and also when going to the dashboard, or even sometimes if I was sitting in the garage for too long idle it would turn off, it is very frustrating and to sort the steering out I put the steering saturation to 100%, but it so irritating having to keep changing it, and as well when the lock turns off I find the force feedback isn't as realistic on it. The only to sort is close everything down, turn the wheel on and off and load the game back up.

You're right about the controller settings it automatically reads that it is a G920 whether the lock is on or off, I thought it could be that at first but it isn't.

And as for the brake, why would they take that option out!! Sometimes I do wonder what game developers are thinking because some of the decisions they make seem pointless, we seem to be going backwards with it. Didn't there used to be a brake pressure option when setting the car up as well? There are quite a few flaws in this steering wheel, considering the hefty price I'm quite annoyed. 

I posted my first comment on Logitech and they came back with this: 

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/Adjust-sensitivity-on-the-G29-and-G920-racing-wheels-with-Logitech-Gaming-Software?product=a0qi0000006PmxKAAS#pedal

But as were playing in Xbox, Im not sure whether we can use the PC software to alter the wheel and then plug into the Xbox, I think it's only for PC users, but Logitech didn't get back to me when I asked, they were very vague in the reply.  

Again thanks for the reply as I had no luck up until now!!

Literally every single Codemasters racing game I can remember has had braking/throttle saturation sliders, and yet of all of them F1 2015 is the one that doesn't have it. It even has steering saturation, so why not braking is beyond me. 

I understand being annoyed at the wheel, I can't help feel that a bit too, but in fairness the wheel is brilliant. Like in Forza 6 it's brilliant, and the progressive brake is fine because I've altered the necessary sensitivity settings. It's highly possible that the lock resets for all 900/1080 wheels, of this I can't be 100% sure.

There's nothing I found that can be done with the wheel when it's on Xbox One. I tried the usual resets just in case of USB conflicts and bad sync on the wheel, but there weren't any issues. The Logitech software is purely for PC and PC games. Even going into Settings > Controllers (on XB1) didn't yield any further options, nor did the Xbox Accessories app. It seems strictly an issue with F1 2015 at the moment.

The only workarounds I've found is for the lock, when it resets, set steering saturation to 60% and that should have the turning on a 900 degree wheel act in approximation to a 360 degree lock (FFB won't be as pronounced though). As for the braking it's impossible to drive without the braking force. I did try the braking assist on high and it allowed me to put some relatively fast times and get some laps together, but it wasn't as a fast as a fully working brake on manual and there's nothing like braking for yourself. I've resorted to using a controller to enjoy the game for now, but the wheel feels so good I just want the devs to fix the issues.

Now all we need is Codemasters to take note. Braking saturation, and a wheel lock fix.

I've heard quite a few people have that problem, although to confirm I've just played the game myself and the sound is coming through okay on both of my sound outputs (Stereo sound to TV via HDMI, and Bitstream to headset via Optical Cable).

Presuming the sound works for you on all other games as well as the Xbox OS, then it's obviously something unique to F1 2015. A worthwhile test to do is record a 30 second clip of gameplay from F1 2015, upload it to Youtube or Onedrive and then play it back. Whether or not you get sound through the playback might be a useful bit of information, especially if the devs have got to fix something.

As for immediate fixes, it's the usual process of things. Try a restart of the console, or try a full reinstall of the game. There's nothing to say it'll work, but it's always worth a try. Given that some people have sound and some people don't, it could be an Xbox OS problem, but then if sound plays in other games, then it could be a flaw in how F1 2015's game code interacts with the Xbox OS. The test above might help determine that.

Incidentally I've ruled out that it's anything to do with outputs as other people's posts in this section reveal the problem is happening with all sorts of sound setups.

Even more frustrating now as I can't even play the game, nothing but problems since getting this game. 

I tried doing a full reset of the console, tried fiddling the Xbox audio settings, I've tried changing all the f1 game settings and I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I've tried playing the game for 10 - 15 minutes but nothing, still no sound. 

Dashboard sounds are fine as so are all my other games, it's just F1, I've had no reply from code masters help site either!

Could you tell me a bit more about your sound settings on Xbox to see if there's anything I could change? 

Thank you

Dashboard > All settings > Display & Sound > Audio Output

My settings are as follows:

HDMI audio - Stereo Uncompressed
Optical audio - Bitstream
Bitsream Format - Dolby Digital

do we know when the steering angle problem will be fix... mine is stuck on 900 degrees, the only way to make it drivable is changing the saturation to 60... this just isn't good enough 

olijones44 see this thread to fix the Xbox One sound issue: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/144405/#Comment_144405

If the Xbox One is telling us a wheel has x or y degrees of rotation then there is nothing we can do about that I'm afraid. We just get the input we're given. I'm not sure what you can do about this but as best as I can tell it's for the wheel manufacturer or Microsoft to solve.

Lozzy, and I say this as kindly as possible, it's poor coding of F1 2015 in terms of the wheel rotation issue. Other XB1 racing games will re-establish lock according to the in-game setting, F1 2015 does not do this. Considering F1 2015 starts by establishing a 360 degree lock, but fails to maintain it, is clearly an issue for Codemasters to fix.

Also, Lozzy, can I get any information on whether Codemasters are implementing the Brake Saturation setting as discussed above? Or whether the above problems have, at the least, been passed on? I have asked politely in another thread, but I've had no response. If it won't be implemented, at least I know. I can sell the game, and review it appropriately.

Yep no other games has this issue. sadly from lozzy comments, it seem like codemaster do not even care to check this bug out.

I care, but I have higher priorities at the moment unfortunately.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this wheel isn't actually on our supported list is it? http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/06/f1-2015-supported-wheels-and-controllers/

I am still of the opinion that the wheel and the console should decide the rotation but I'm not that clued up about specific wheels and how these things are handled. I'll try to look in to it at some point but if the wheel isn't supported it's unlikely we have one in the office to even look at so I'm kinda stuck anyway.

@Lozzy Considering the game is actively recognising my Logitech G920 as a "Logitech G920", which is very clearly stated  in the controller menu, I'd say the wheel is supported by the game just fine. However it seems to me you're saying Codemasters cannot possibly support one of Logitech's flagship wheels, which I can assure you will lose Codemasters the custom of myself and many others who own the wheel. Not to mention there's no mention of wheel support anywhere on the game case (not even on the small print), nor in the manual.

We still don't know whether this happens with other wheels either. I never knew about the 360 degree lock for the first two hours as it had already been lost. I presumed Codemasters decided to opt for 900 degrees, until I started up the game and noticed the wheel was locked to 360 degrees. In other words, other players on XB1 might not even realise there's an issue with the game. To be honest, I'm not that bothered about it myself. It would raise the profile of the game if Codemasters bothered to fix it, because they've done a great job with the 360 degree lock and FFB and it would be great if they maintained those settings, but honestly I can live with it.

What is more important to me is the inability to brake, because that is what's making the game unplayable. If I cannot use the brake input as intended, braking an F1 car from 200MPH, the game is not fit for purpose. It can either be addressed and fixed, or if such support is not possible, a brake saturation setting in the advanced wheel settings menu will solve the issue. So @Lozzy, can I please (pretty please) get an answer to the following question. Are the Codemasters dev/patch team aware of the need to sort this braking issue out and is a fix, or a brake saturation setting, being prepared in an upcoming patch?

I'm telling you it's not on the list so therefore my understanding is it's not supported. Perhaps that list needs updating though, I'll look in to it.

Lozzy said:
I'm telling you it's not on the list so therefore my understanding is it's not supported. Perhaps that list needs updating though, I'll look in to it.
@Lozzy I live down the road from the dev studio in Birmingham. If they don't have a spare G920 amongst all those wheels on the list, blimey I'd be happy to lend them mine if it gets the issue sorted. It's literally the same wheel as the G29 except for the compatibility with consoles.

Also no answer on the braking issue which is my main priority :(  Really want to know if any kind of fix/brake saturation setting is in-bound on the next XB1 patch? Adding a brake saturation setting has nothing to do with the G920 at all, so I'm sure it's humanly possible for the dev team to do.

Can I get a clear answer, please?

Apologies the wheel is supported, it's an official Xbox One controller so we have to support it. I don't know why it's not on the supported list web page, as we added the support late on I guess it was just missed off.

So, we got a wheel out and connected it up to an Xbox One, the wheel does it's spinning calibration thing and it rotates 360 degrees. Now, without booting the game interact with the Xbox One menus and the rotation changes to 900 degrees, so this says to me that the initial 360 degree rotation is a bug with the wheel. This review http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/09/getting-to-grips-with-the-latest-xbox-one-steering-wheels/ says "The wheel defaults to 900˚ of rotation lock-to-lock, but unlike the Thrustmaster TX there does not appear to be a way of altering this on the wheel itself. However, you can change the amount of steering required via in-game preferences, and the G920 obeys." I don't know why it initially thinks it's 360 but that to me seems to be the bug here. The best thing I can suggest is to try the Firmware Update: http://support.logitech.com/en_gb/product/g920-driving-force.

We had test of the game with the rotation set to 900 degrees and were hitting full lock while stationary at about 180 degrees to the left / right so this all seems reasonable. That was without changing any settings in game. The braking was also okay other than the pedals slipping on the carpet.

So, my conclusion would be get the wheel in 900 degree rotation before you boot the game and make your setup for that rather than the 360 degrees and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy playing F1 again.

Let me know how it goes.

Okay so the 360 degree lock, which works brilliantly in the game I might add, is a bug. That would be determined by the dev team and whether they intended a 360 degree lock or not. Either way it is academic as I mentioned before, the wheel lock is not a priority. Also the wheel is always set to 900 degrees before games boot up, there's no way of altering the lock on a G920. Plus I've had the latest firmware update since it released.

The braking is definitely bad here. With all assists off, I do not have the full braking force to stop from 200MPH. The full braking force is there with a controller, but pushing the brake pedal down barely gets me 50% braking on the car.

I will try and post a video in short while of these problems, it might be better seeing them. It's really the braking that I want to solve, as I can't play without braking. Thanks for the info so far, I'll try to get that video posted ASAP.

That's odd because the braking for me was fine. The marketing blurb does talk about "The nonlinear brake pedal mimics the performance of a pressure-sensitive brake system for a more responsive, accurate braking feel. For even finer control, reposition the pedal faces to make heel-toe manoeuvres easier to perform." here http://gaming.logitech.com/en-gb/product/g920-driving-force. I wonder if that's related.

We'll continue looking at it for a bit and update you.

Edit: What are your brake linearity and deadzone set to? We've just got them on 0.

Brake linearity and deadzone are all at 0 at my end. Increasing them makes the problem worse for sure.

The G920/G29 progressive brake is indeed a bit controversial. With every game I've used the G920 I've has to alter brake sensitivty because by default, pressing the G920 brake pedal fully down will only achieve varying percentages of speed (classically 30-50%). This is true of DiRT rally, Forza 6, Forza Horizon 2. 

I'm just uploading the main video as an example, but here's a quick comparison I cooked up to partly show the braking issue. I really hammered on the brake pedal full, and the result was not stopping much. If I were put on the braking assist to high, that helps to at least stop the car when using a wheel, so I know for a fact that I'm not delusional and expecting too much from an F1 car. I'm happy to be corrected though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=choQtB6ZpCA

Here's the other video which shows the wheel lock issue, as well as the braking issue in a bit more depth. I probably shouldn't have bothered with the wheel lock thing as, like I said above, I'm not that bothered.

On a side note, I noticed in the PS4 V1.04 patch notes the following:

• Fixed Logitech G29 brake pedal not having full range

This sounds exactly like the problem I've got with the G920. Not getting full range. Still, it's strange if over your end you're getting full braking range on the G920. As other people have this issue with the brakes, I assume it's not a fault at my end. Unless there's a faulty batch out there. Very puzzling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo-gN9D1BZQ

I've emailed the guy who sets up all the wheels to find out if this fix might be required on Xbox One for the G920 too. I'll see what he says.

Have you tried mapping the brake to the other pedal? The middle pedal presumably has this clever thing that makes it more realistic, but if you used the clutch pedal instead could that work around the problem? It would be worth trying to see if that makes a difference for you. Let me know.

Yep, using the clutch pedal came immediately to mind as a quick fix, but unfortunately it doesn't register the clutch pedal at all so I can't assign it. Funnily enough I swapped the accelerator and brake assignments around to see what would happen, so the braking was on the throttle and vice versa. That just meant I couldn't go 100% throttle, and it was extremely awkward anyway.

Aside from mapping the brake to a wheel button, there's not much I can do for a workaround. I don't have a G27, so I can't swap the pedal sets around. I'm happy to wait for a fix as long as one is on the way, so thanks for investigating and hopefully some sort of solution will be found. Let me know if you find anything out. 

Lozzy said:
Apologies the wheel is supported, it's an official Xbox One controller so we have to support it. I don't know why it's not on the supported list web page, as we added the support late on I guess it was just missed off.

So, we got a wheel out and connected it up to an Xbox One, the wheel does it's spinning calibration thing and it rotates 360 degrees. Now, without booting the game interact with the Xbox One menus and the rotation changes to 900 degrees, so this says to me that the initial 360 degree rotation is a bug with the wheel. This review http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/09/getting-to-grips-with-the-latest-xbox-one-steering-wheels/ says "The wheel defaults to 900˚ of rotation lock-to-lock, but unlike the Thrustmaster TX there does not appear to be a way of altering this on the wheel itself. However, you can change the amount of steering required via in-game preferences, and the G920 obeys." I don't know why it initially thinks it's 360 but that to me seems to be the bug here. The best thing I can suggest is to try the Firmware Update: http://support.logitech.com/en_gb/product/g920-driving-force.

We had test of the game with the rotation set to 900 degrees and were hitting full lock while stationary at about 180 degrees to the left / right so this all seems reasonable. That was without changing any settings in game. The braking was also okay other than the pedals slipping on the carpet.

So, my conclusion would be get the wheel in 900 degree rotation before you boot the game and make your setup for that rather than the 360 degrees and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy playing F1 again.

Let me know how it goes.
No, the 900 rotation is def a bug. Please get the devs attention on this as its pretty annoying. though i fear our xbox patch is most likely in submission and this will most likely be the last patch. i could be wrong though.

The devs has made the wheel lock to 360 thats a design choice. its been confirmed previously in this forum. play the game at Monaco. go into cockpit view at 360 rotation the wheel is 1:1 what you see on screen is mimicked on the wheel and 100% perfect. 

go to the the dashboard. the wheel bugs back to 900 rotation and now look at cockpit view completely out. what is on screen is completely different to the wheel. not to mention f1 cars do not have a steering rotation of 900, but have a rotation of around 360.

(small tip when the game bugs  back to 900 rotation set the saturation to 60 that will give you back the 1:1 feeling)

the next test while at Monaco steer round the hairpin at 360 rotation, its perfect now try at the bugged 900. good luck its just not possible without crossing your arms up. 

also not sure if this bug is messing up ffb but its just way to light at 360 rotation, set saturation to 60 when the wheels at 360 rotations, to me thats what the ffb should feel like, nice bit of weight. obviously cant keep it at 60 coz it to twitchy but at 360 rotation and all settings 0 its just too light.

cant comment on the brake issue, i've hated the way the brakes feel on the tx and g920 wheel so any improvements are welcome.