Jump to content Jump to content

Codemasters - two developer teams?

I've read a few month or weeks ago in this forum that Codemasters probably is devided in two teams. Each team works on a F1 game for two years. I always asked myself if this is true and what to think about it.

I mean, if we look at some features and bugs we had in F1 19, which were solved in F1 20 but came back in F1 21 this theory seems quiet logical. 

If I remember correctly, in F1 19 we had no possibility to turn of driver transfers when the game released, in F1 2020 the problem got solved in F1 21 the problem came back, that the option was not implemented. 

For sure, the main elements like my team and career mode, which were built up in F1 2020 were improved in f1 21, but the deeper mechanic of some aspects (for example the car control / behaviour In f1 21) reminds me on F1 19. In f1 19 the car felt a lot too understeery, F1 2020 was good balanced like f1 18, and in F1 21 the understeer effect came back. Nevertheless we have a nervous rear too, and the setup changes feel a lot more effective now, so it is okay for me. No, I like the actual handling. But if I remember correctly, F1 19 got a new handling model with one of the patches, too. And I have the feeling that F1 19 had also more bugs like F1 21 than F1 18 and 20. 

Since F1 16 I bought F1 games each year. And for my personal feelings F1 18 and 20 felt more "complete" and there were less complainments in the forum, I think. But don't understand me wrong, overall F1 21 has some very good improvements and really enjoy the game. 

What do you think? 

Pretty sure that is the case, but it shouldn’t be accepted as an excuse for the nonsense we have to put up with as paying customers (think bugs that’re resolved one year only to resurface two years later). 

Given how long they’ve had exclusivity of the licence, iteration should be the name of the game but they obviously struggle to manage carrying over improvements from one year to the next…

In my eyes all this points to their whole operation sorely lacking leadership & while I’m interested to see what effect EA’s influence on the next one will be I sure as hell won’t be preordering anything from Codies anymore because the chances of it being a complete waste of money is 50/50 at best. 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
42 minutes ago, Guga_Cyr said:

iven how long they’ve had exclusivity of the licence, iteration should be the name of the game but they obviously struggle to manage carrying over improvements from one year to the next…

Evolution not revolution... How hard can that be... make the good bits better and drop the bad...  but All to often it’s making bad bit worse and dropping the good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
2 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

Evolution not revolution... How hard can that be... make the good bits better and drop the bad...  but All to often it’s making bad bit worse and dropping the good. 

Thats it. The core game has good stuff which should get built on. The features of my team mode, (coop) driver career, driver skills, etc. are very good elements which should be the focus for deeper expierences. But in case of handling I am asking myself, if F1 2022 will be again a solide expierence like F1 18 and 20 were. I mean, we don't should forget that F1 19 and F1 21 had both rule changes before season start (frontwing in 2019 and floor in 21) that could cause handling problems for some players. And nevertheless... bugs. I think in ourdays some bugs can not be avoided when releasing a new game. But for me it is not accaptable that bugs and problems, which were solved in the game before, have a comeback in the new game. And I had the feeling this had something to do with the two developer teams of codemasters. But I don't want to say anything wrong, anything unproofed. It is just what would be logical for me. 

• Agree 2