Jump to content Jump to content

Wheel Stand Pro

7 hours ago, Badmayhem said:

I looking at this as a possible option for my wheel.

Opinions/reviews welcome. 

Avoid it, get a gtomega classic wheel stand instead. Or a gtomega apex wheel stand. Both can be upgraded to a full cockpit at a later date with the addition of a rear seat fram addon.

The gtomega classic wheel stand is what i own, it has a full pedal plate, pre drilled for many different pedal sets. Wheel plate which is also predrilled for many different wheel bases. And can have a shifter mount added to it. And it can still fold away for easier storage. It should currently be £99, as it is in a similar price bracket to the wheel stand pro.

https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/classic-steering-wheel-stand

I also have the the rear seat frame addon, as i have space for a full cockpit. Works well with belt drive wheels like the t300 and tspc. And works great with logitech wheels also. I have a t300 now, but used to have my old g920 mounted to it.

Holds up well to use, you can see me using it in this video while i played Dirt Rally 2.0. And assetto Corsa

20211014_130110.thumb.jpg.1957006d3ec86385293f7b7ab0c3b29b.jpg

The wheel stand pro is just a stand,  and while it can meet basic needs. It leaves no room for future expansion. it doesnt have a full pedal plate either. People often have to resort to using zip ties to hold their pedals in place on it. Its more prone to tipping with vigorous driving, due to the very small foot print of the device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have used this stand for several years in combination with a Logitech g29 wheel, it worked absolutely fine.

however I recently bought a fanatec podium base and clubsport wheel, the wheel stand pro can’t handle the forces and strength of the wheel base. I now use the wheel stand DD from next level racing, I am very satisfied at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

I have a Wheel Stand Pro but looking at the link to the GT Omega Classic above I do think this looks better for similar money. My WSP worked better when I used the two peddle set that came with my T300 RS wheel. Going to the three peddle arrangement of the T3PA pedals I have now, the central column of the WSP gets in the way a little. I've offset the peddles are far as I can to one side so it is OK but the GT Omega would remove this issue. The WSP is also rigid enough to be perfectly usable but I can certainly believe that the GT Omega would be better. What wheel is going to be used would be a factor here of course, with wheels with stronger feedback needing more rigid mounts.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RhysWon1 said:

Maybe I run too high of a FFB setting, but I've had that exact stand and it will wobble. Be sure to get a pair of tennis ball to place on the bottom left & right front sides if you race in socks. To keep from stubbing your toes on the ends. 

For clarity, which stand are you referring to?

• Agree 1
19 hours ago, Badmayhem said:

I looking at this as a possible option for my wheel.

Opinions/reviews welcome. 

Total pants; I have one , you will have better results using a table ,  don't waste your money on that add more money to the budget and get a second hand sim rig off of Ebay  the one I have costs £450 new ; I got it for £50 on Ebay ......... patience and regular searching always pays off. Get silly people to do all the paying. Then *** in for a bargain when they are moving on to the next fad thing in their life.

• Thanks 1

Currently I have both the GT Omega Classic and the GT Omega Apex. I'm using the Apex version with a DD wheel. I've had the wheel stand pro too. As others said, stay away from it. I sold it after a month at the time to move to the GT Omega. If you find the GT Omega expensive, look for similar products. Next Level is another solid product.

My advice is GT omega classic for a belt driven and GT Omega Apex for a DD...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

I just watched the video below out of possible interest for myself but was actually put off my the comments about the challenges of simultaneously getting a good position for both peddles and wheel. 

The person doing the review made a few problems for themself. First, they didnt initially hard mount the shifter with bolts, and it didnt look like they hard mounted the wheel either. 2 things that should ALWAYS be done on a wheel stand or full sim rig. The logitech g wheels and the logitech shifter all have hard mounting points. They stated they do sim drifting, and that requires very quick wheel movements and gear shifts. So hard mounting is essential when a stand or full cockpit is in the equation.

Given the height they had the wheel stand extended to (looked like it was almost at maximum extension), i would be very surprised if they are using a gas lift desk chair fully lowered or a sofa. Much more likely they are using a reasonably high dining chair, or even a bar stool. Or a desk chair at the highest height setting. Which would make finding a comfortable position very difficult.

With a wheel stand or full cockpit, the aim is to get into as close a replication of a car seating position as possible. This puts the wheel and the pedals in a more natural and comfortable position while sim racing.

If you look at an image of the gtomega classic wheel stand with the addition of the rear seat frame and seat. You will see what i mean about seating position, and how low the actual seat is.

DwAz0EaWkAA-2o1.thumb.jpg.7d19b1ee780887c39f4d9b06a4a6a3b7.jpg

Bad position with almost any wheel stand, is more often than not caused by using a seat that is just too high.

The gtomega apex wheel stand offers much more adjustability then my gtomega classic wheel stand as well. So if the seating position is right, it should be far easier to get the pedals and wheel in a good position.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Given the height they had the wheel stand extended to (looked like it was almost at maximum extension), i would be very surprised if they are using a gas lift desk chair fully lowered or a sofa. Much more likely they are using a reasonably high dining chair, or even a bar stool. Or a desk chair at the highest height setting. Which would make finding a comfortable position very difficult.

What the person making the video said was that he was forced into a higher seat position to be able to get the peddles far enough away, rather than having done so to fit his chair.

(For myself, I have long legs and sit on a sofa that isn't super low. The wheel-stand pro I have allows wheel position to be adjusted fully independently of where the pedals are.)

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

What the person making the video said was that he was forced into a higher seat position to be able to get the peddles far enough away, rather than having done so to fit his chair.

(For myself, I have long legs and sit on a sofa that isn't super low. The wheel-stand pro I have allows wheel position to be adjusted fully independently of where the pedals are.)

I know what they said in the video, that usually almost always happens when using a chair that is too high. I am speaking from experience here, ive been using wheels and various sim hardware for 2 decades. Not trying to be a douch, just conveying that experience. The review is mostly good, but with a seat that is low enough; you never have to have the wheel set to such a high position. A lot of people when using a wheel stand, dont take into account chair height. The higher the chair, the higher the wheel needs to be. The more awkward it will feel.

As said, the whole point is to replicate the seating position you would have in a real car. So your seat needs to be be quite low in order to facilitate that seating position.

Both gt omega wheel stands allow the wheel height to be adjusted independently. It isnt a static "up/down" though, as again, the gtomega wheel stands are designed to facilitate a seating position that replicates sitting in a real car. So there is "forward/backwards" adjustment included as you increase or decrease the height of the wheel. I also have fairly long legs. Before i got my rear seat frame, i used a gas lift desk chair. Which i had lowered as far as it would go. Some people even remove the casters from their chairs in order to get even lower down when using wheel stands.

Where you are seemingly tripping up in your own analysis, is comparing it to the most basic form of a wheel stand. Aka, the wheel stand pro. While it is a wheel stand that works, its not the same type of wheel stand as the gtomega, and other stands of a similar style. Such as next level racing stands. Which are designed with the possibility of becoming full cockpits. So their design differs greatly to that of the wheel stand pro you are using.

Ive used multiple stands and setups over 20 years, from an ironing board (no joke, works well as a cheap solution), a desk, and full wheel stands and cockpits.

57 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Bear in mind that the video was of the Apex model.

I know its the apex wheel stand, it also offers a rear seat frame addition similar to the classic model. They are built differently, the apex is more sturdy overall. But ergonomically, they are designed to give the same seating position ive spoken about in my last 2 posts.

and both stands are designed with the option to turn it into a full static cockpit with a seat frame bolted on. 

• Thanks 1