Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Improvement" Co-drivers voice; does it need improving?

For me the problem is that the current co-driver voice is too flat and monotonous. Words bleed too easily in to one another in the heat of a long stage. It's fine when you are starting out, but when driving a WRC class car through the fast stages it's difficult to pick out the detail from his voice. I have my settings with the voice turned up and the engine and effects down, but it isn't punchy enough. There is very little discernible change in pitch or intonation. It could even do with a little more "microphone oomph" on it, bearing in mind that drivers/co-drivers communicate via a comms system so the voice is the loudest and clearest thing in their ear.

I know nothing about making a video game, but I am a fan of rally and my family is involved with a successful UK rally team, my brother even doing some co-driving in his younger years, so I have some experience of rally in the real world. Whilst showing this game to him and some rally friends all of them asked the same thing; could I wake the co-driver up.

I appreciate that it may be too late to find a new co-driver now, or maybe too much work,so perhaps having the audio files remixed would bring an improvement. Something to keep you focused on his (or her) voice. After all, your co drivers voice is what guides you. It is one of the most important factors of the sim.

Based on all that, my question is, does the co-drivers voice need improving?

I personally think it's the best co-driver in any rally game ever made, so can't say I agree with you.
Well, I find him quiet, but I thought they were supposed to have ramped up his audio?

I can't agree with you. This is definetely the most 'life' notes that were in a game of all time. You can even hear @KickUp's breathing in some moments.
@JZStudios Finland was definetely volumed up in mid-speed notes.

versedi said:
I can't agree with you. This is definetely the most 'life' notes that were in a game of all time. You can even hear @KickUp's breathing in some moments.
@JZStudios Finland was definetely volumed up in mid-speed notes.
I certainly can't hear him breathing...  I have the effects all the way down and the voice up and it's still not great.  I just wish there was a little more emotion in his voice.  Some zest...   I love the game and this is my only complaint, apart from the split times obscuring my view of the road... :o

Compared to the Generic robotic computerised repeated crap on all other titles, Paul's real co-driver detail completely make this game.  

KevM said:
Compared to the Generic robotic computerised repeated crap on all other titles, Paul's real co-driver detail completely make this game.  
I agree with you, when comparing it to the arcade style crap.  I'd rather avoid comparing it though and just concentrate on making it the best it can be.   Maybe Paul could re-record the notes during a WRX stage... :p

For a fact this is the best co driver in any game produced yet. So even though there could be made some tweaks i think the time and effort should be rather spent elsewhere in the game.

Why are we even still talking about this? To be fair though, getting a few different people and different styles of notes like Dirt 3 had would be nice. Still think the co driver's a little too quiet, especially if they only boosted him on Finland.

I find the co driver to be very good compared to other titles and it definately makes the game.

One improvement I would like though is to have a bit of emotion added to the co driver, it would be good if the co driver encouraged you when things were going well, or warn you when things are getting a bit wild. Maybe grunting when landing big jumps. But all that is ear candy so to speak.

He does sound like he's impacting on landings, but unfortunately, advancing or delaying the calls mis-align the bumps!  On a bit of a jump in Wales, Paul lands just before I approach the jump! lol

Its a good co driver, but could be better, esp in finland he needs more omph, he blends in too much on the fast patches, if I take attention to listen I crash because too much attention is on hearing what he sais, and when it sinks in its too late...

In the french version the co-drivers doesn't give the good information in multiple stages.... For example, in Bidno Moorland Reverse (Wales) at the hairpin right after the "water jump" (at the begining of the stage) the co-driver say "6 right".... 

This is probably the best co driver in any racing game. Having everything recorded like a proper stage instead of loads of snippets linked together makes it feel so much more authentic. I personally have never had issues understanding notes, but that is probably because I know the note system like the back of my hand!

I would say their voice is too quite. I have no problems with how he talks.

Although, as suggested in another thread, I would like to be able to have his audio stream play through a headset while the main audio stream is coming out of my sound system/tv/monitor as I think it would add to the realism of the game

I want Jen Horsey back.  :'(
She was my favorite co-driver in the previous dirt games, and the best Ive had in a rally game period.

Yeah...i hear the spanish co-driver and is not bad but can be more good. Try with Dani Cue (the voice in RBR Txec Mod)... And also in Deuthland...specially in Kreuengsring Reverse are 4 BIG ERRORS when he said left and is right or right when is left....impossible to go fast....Review it PLEASE.

I agree that he is rather monotonous.  When he reads R5, L6, R6, L5, R1, L5 without any emphasis on the 5th turn, it's as if he's *trying* to get me to crash.  And I don't know maybe because he's British, sometimes I can't tell if he said R5 or R1.  +1 for Jen Horsey.

And I don't know maybe because he's British, sometimes I can't tell if he said R5 or R1.  +1 for Jen Horsey.
English isn't even my native language, and I understand him perfectly.

And I don't know maybe because he's British, sometimes I can't tell if he said R5 or R1.  +1 for Jen Horsey.
English isn't even my native language, and I understand him perfectly.
I've been told however that you are fluent in Bridges and Dudespeak though, but thos're just rumors.

The co-driver is too monotonous and un-excited for me too. You are right: It feels like you have to wake him up by driving even faster :-)
It seems like he is leading you on a road that is boring, unexciting, easy and always the same and you are going top speed 50km/h :-(

PLEASE make him more excited/exciting!
When watching a rally event in tht TV you can hear the co-driver at difficult situations getting very excited, changing the tone, speed, pitch and everything in his voice depending on the situation (e.g. if the car just landed from a jump, hit something, is braking hard etc.).

I don´t expect from the game to adapt the voice on my current driving, but please at least remove the feeling that the co-driver is falling asleep while I am driving with him 160km/h over a winding dirt road!

i think codriver i perfect

maybe sometime  the  1<6 corner telling is not 100% accurate:  sometimes a 3corner could be a 4  and thing like this

and maybe this change from language to language.   otherwise nothing to report

The co-driver is too monotonous and un-excited for me too. You are right: It feels like you have to wake him up by driving even faster :-)
It seems like he is leading you on a road that is boring, unexciting, easy and always the same and you are going top speed 50km/h :-(

PLEASE make him more excited/exciting!
When watching a rally event in tht TV you can hear the co-driver at difficult situations getting very excited, changing the tone, speed, pitch and everything in his voice depending on the situation (e.g. if the car just landed from a jump, hit something, is braking hard etc.).

I don´t expect from the game to adapt the voice on my current driving, but please at least remove the feeling that the co-driver is falling asleep while I am driving with him 160km/h over a winding dirt road!

I don't want my codriver to get excited about my driving, I want him to be precise and reliable. And I think the game does that, apart from a few minor glitches.

I find myself concentrating too much on his call outs when I should be 100% focused on my driving. The co-drivers voice should be clearer and louder so your attention is on car control.  I will try it on headphones, might be more realistic. Oh, and when he says "maybe" it sounds like "baby" !!