Jump to content Jump to content

What are our opinions on the F1 2021 game now we had many months on it?

With it coming out in July we have now had 5 months to play it and feel how it is. I think it is very well done, the curbs are too punishing sometimes but the new tracks like Portimao and Saudi are really nice and I enjoyed them a lot. What do you all think about it?

• Agree 1
19 minutes ago, F1Racerz said:

With it coming out in July we have now had 5 months to play it and feel how it is. I think it is very well done, the curbs are too punishing sometimes but the new tracks like Portimao and Saudi are really nice and I enjoyed them a lot. What do you all think about it?

I really like it. Enjoying the handling too. But I play only grand Prix mode now, because of two things that ruin my career mode. It's rain and OP Bottas and Perez. I even enjoy the rain but not if it's raining every third session. And I don't mind Bottas to be faster than Lewis sometimes but not nearly every Q and R. But generally it's good game for me. 

• Like 1

Mixed.

Might depend on the platform you play it at (steam / PC in my case). A little sunshine, but lots of shadow. There is vast potential in the game, but it has not been lifted yet:

Multiplayer / league racing broken (desyncs), in several aspects the game seems a step back from the 2020 game, rather than a step forward. Handling improvements taken back by devs because of exploits. Driving assists a bit too effective over manual drive (breaking, mostly). Cheaters ruling time trial scoresheets and multiplayer races. Nothing being done versus sites offerin cheats in game over these lists. E-sports build as announced did not arrive (yet). Bottas took away Hamiltons stats and skills (myteam mode) like in last years game. Safety car not working as intended. Penalty system questionable (e.g. cars touching your back under SC, overtaking possible in multiplayer under SC if you know how). Visible damage model of cars underwhelming compared to what was intended in early development. Many features of the game delayed by months (F2 cars, tracks). Tracks driven by F1 in real life not all available in game. Weather model working as intended (rains a lot)? Quite some problems with FFB on several wheels (fading on thrustmaster e.g.). No in game telemetry (F1 games 20 years back had that), tons of graphical glitches e.g. DLSS in replay mode or on tyre models, weather effects / visibility / spray nowhere near reality, sound model simple compared to RL, in myteam mode engine manufacturer names are forbidden as team names (huh?), several track layouts not up to date (Spain, Abu Dhabi), AI not moving off the racing line on inlap / outlap / blue flags, building / skill bonuses in myteam / career mode need a rework as they cause driver stats to be irrelevant, driver stats questionable here and there, and so on. Game engine feels rather dusty meanwhile, but it has the advantage to be playable on older GPUs as well. I do not think that breaking point really adds to the game, it rather was a way to advertise the game for a new audience - that said, I d easily swap it for another track or two, and for a few improvements of the flaws listed above.

Many minor issues mostly, but they add up. I got over double the playing time in F1 2020 over F1 2021 and I cant imagine to make up for that during the upcoming months.

That is, unless Codemasters does at least get mulitplayer / league racing to work properly and without these regular desyncs / dropouts. As it is now, multiplayer is not really playable, if you are taking it seriously. In e-sports a different build / game seems to be played than we have at our hands, not sure if this is the way things should be handeled.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Imo its a great basis that gets clouded by old issues, new issues and problems that came from too much concentration on a not even half baked storymode.

I feel like many people only complain as much over some bugs and wrong mechanics because they are annoyed because of covid or how long the things are in the games.. However there are of course some things that are really bad, for example all the multiplayer bugs making it almost impossible on XBox.

But to get everything out of the great basis they need to concentrate on getting handling/grip levels right (not again reducing it by 35% and wondering about OP AI), update the tracks as much as reasonable, work on replayability of each mode - F2 season (correct tires, strategy variety, AI, F1 test drives?), Career mode and MyTeam (lots like advanced Regulation changes, car performance variety systems etc.) and of course release the game without major multiplayer issues for once... And yes that would be quite a bit of work in total lol but i doubt anyone serious would be raging about that one haha

So all in all im just a bit bored by the series being very very repititive and this iteration suffering from a few too many mistakes that were caused by different things, but new quality tracks, further improved handling (just one mistake at it), not as forgiving kerbs (went a little too far) and other little improvements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
31 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

It’s incomplete. A big disappointment this year compared to previous versions.

Just a curious question so dont kill me for it: What is that much more worse/incomplete in this years game compared to last years game where it was completely wrong car performance, missing 5 tracks from real life season, also a ****ton of bugs and F2 also only updated in december?

• Disagree 1

My biggest problem is ya cant get into Beginner Friendly lobbies. How does this NOT affect people new to the game?

The next is the lack of tutorials. Again affects new people.

Dump the story line....I quit playing it after the 1st section cause it didnt allow me to setup the car. 5 months later I still don't know how it went. Dont waste time and effort that could be better spent fixing problems.

The base racing game is GOOD just needs some TLC!

Career and myteam are excellent except for rare save fails that codemasters don’t care about.

online on other hand is completely broken for me and many others on Xbox and pc and seems it’s gone on that long that codemasters just think we just not important enough for it to be fixed now they have our money.

Unless Codemasters stop copying and pasting, I won't be buying next year's game until a big sale.

This year's release was an utter joke:

Online unplayable

missing circuits

killer kerbs

ridiculous driver transfers

'story mode' 

ghosting in career

same Jeff lines over and over and over

inability to hide the menu when adjusting the camera position

I know some of this stuff has been patched but it took months.

Lesson learnt: never buy a Codemasters game until it has been out for over half a year.

• Agree 2
On 12/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, Meza994 said:

Just a curious question so dont kill me for it: What is that much more worse/incomplete in this years game compared to last years game where it was completely wrong car performance, missing 5 tracks from real life season, also a ****ton of bugs and F2 also only updated in december?

Much of the same stuff i guess, just more...

Sprint races, and track updates missing are the obvs ones.

Still nothing like real life car performance, was worse at launch but they had already seen half a season this year so no excuse.

Still tracks missing they have raced on this year (and last year for Istanbul).

F2 still late (not that i care).

Some of the tracks late. That really did bother me as it put me off starting a career - given 2 of the tracks come right at the start of the season - and now i just can’t be arsed.

Features taken away that were previously introduced at players request (mid season tfr options).

So yeah, incomplete is the best way i can describe it, and that’s before we even get to the bugs (which to he honest haven’t been that bad on the whole this year from my experience).

Edited by kalamazoo123
  • Agree 2

Forget the side shows for next year concentrate on the game modes (ALL) not the invented stupid story's that can only be played once, stop copy and pasting the same old rubbish and listen to the incredible ideas heaps of people have had in the forums. SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

But I bet they don't, cant help themselves so how can we help cant, even if we suggest an incredible idea they still don't listen.

I have bought every F1 game but I will wait 3-4 months, I will wait and see?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Agree 1

I got the game during Black Friday on a major deal and with about three races left, but worth it based on the price I paid. The tire physics is the best it’s ever been on the game, and I hope they continue down this path going forward. Saudi Arabia was a cool addition to the game. Looking forward to new aero regulations next year and will probably get the game much earlier than I did this year. Now that EA has joined the stew, hopefully they’ll collaborate and improve things overall! 

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

I got the game during Black Friday on a major deal and with about three races left, but worth it based on the price I paid. The tire physics is the best it’s ever been on the game, and I hope they continue down this path going forward. Saudi Arabia was a cool addition to the game. Looking forward to new aero regulations next year and will probably get the game much earlier than I did this year. Now that EA has joined the stew, hopefully they’ll collaborate and improve things overall! 

Actually the tires are completely ****** at maximum load but okay, as long as you are happy with it its good for you😄

But just fyi, the tires are incredibly off of the grip they have at maximum load so not the best in terms of physics😉

• Agree 2

well in my opinnion, the 2021 is very very bad...I ended with 21, a month ago..I play old 20 sometimes and gran turismo now..

and since codies are bad at their work, 22 is a no go for me...so much better games with open wheelers out there..

I always pre ordered f1 games..but that one "21" is really really really bad..even esport guys say that

JUST MY OPINNION

Edited by Marko4455
  • Agree 4
On 12/23/2021 at 5:12 PM, Meza994 said:

Hmmm, when I saw a video after F1 2020's release, all the tracks from the calendar were there. True, the 2020 F2 was patched in afterwards, but I didn't see any missing tracks at release. Vietnam was there, Zandvoort was there, so... What should be missing?

Honestly, my opinions about F1 2021 are mixed, though they tend to 'Ragequit'.

It's faster to point out the positive things, so I'll start there: Braking Point is an awesome story mode, probably the best mode to play if you're new to the game. Then there's My Team and Driver Career, with a few enhancements compared to 2020 like development boosts and advanced Career Options to make your life easier or harder. Player Faults is also a neat feature, though I didn't get one Technical Fault (e.g. engine issue or ERS glitch) in ages despite having the Fault Frequency on Standard. The three new tracks in Portimão, Imola and Jeddah are also amazing to play, and after my first Career race there, it's been a true delight. The online mode also works seamless. Finding a session and waiting for the start is such a joy, mostly thanks to the amazing soundtrack.

Now for the negatives, which I have to list up:

• The cars are near impossible to drive when running a custom setup which is supposed to make life easier. The only setup that worked for me so far in all of Career Mode is Preset 3. If Will Buxton said that the cars were very similar to the ones from last year, then the F1 2020 setups should work fine as well. But no, they send you sideways every single time, so you never have stellar pace.
  • The AI is insanely overpowered on several tracks, and on some, they're no challenge. The difficulty fluctuates so much from track to track that it's impossible to find a perfect difficulty level to STICK to in which it's not unwinnable, but also not too easy. Perfect examples are the difficulty spike between Bahrain (winnable even at 80) and Zandvoort (AI behaves like 110 AI on 80). I can give the difficulty spikes in detail once I finished a 25% race on all tracks in a Williams.
  • The My Team vehicle is not the overall best vehicle when fully upgraded. This shows that either EA or Codemasters WANTED Verstappen to be Driver World Champion.
  • Speaking of Verstappen, why in the heck is he DOMINATING every single race? Was this a deliberate design choice to replicate the RL season's outcome? This makes the game predictable, and therefore, a pure joke. And regarding all other AI drivers in the field, they're randomly shuffled in Season 2 onwards in every race, making My Team a pure lottery whether or not you win the Constructor Championship (unless you have the superior car + a superior teammate).
  • Speaking of AI drivers, the Icons suck. Even with a maxxxed car + a legend driver, your teammate is performing very poor. Paying money for those guys without the investment paying off just shows either the obvious money greed from EA or poor AI driver balancing on the end of Codemasters. When I get an Icon with a maxed car, I expect it to keep up with me and destroy the grid, and not to trail the whole pack. I have seen a German F1 player, and Michael Schumacher (Legend Icon) on his end has 11 points after 5 races and trails Verstappen by 100 points. What in the heck happened here? Were the Icons nerfed or were they awful to begin with?
  • I recently encountered a bug in which, even if you say you want to use the driver number 1 in your main Career, if you start a new season in a different Career save, it reverts your choice. Back in F1 2020, if you picked the driver number during driver creation, it asks you if you want to use the number 1 once you become a reigning champion. Should've been like this too.
  • And finally, even if your Car Damage is just on Standard, miniscule front wing damage behaves as if you have no front wing. This makes the game very unforgiving, and therefore less accessible. Even Lewis Hamilton in the RL race in Jeddah had stellar pace despite slight front wing damage, so what the flip is this?

I have to be honest, this game is probably the worst F1 game I have ever played. I'm just gonna say this: If all these negatives would be eradicated from the game, it would probably be my third favorite F1 game, but at this rate, I'd rather play F1 2012 than this (if I still had it lol). And seriously, if Codies doesn't do anything to fix these things, then the future of this game looks insanely grim. 😡

All I can do is sit, play, wait, and hope for the best. And you can too. 😊

- Nico

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The game would be decent, however, it still feels quite unfinished I would say - even after all the patches so far (and expect the next patch only in January now).

Let's get straight with the negatives:

Online is a big mess at this point - heavy desyncs (to the point where the same driver is in different positions for different people), lags (inevitable at this point), SC issues (oh boy don't get me started on those, as I had a league race recently which had completely broken SC to the point we had to restart the race), timing issues (when a supposed 3 seconds gap (after one 3 second penalty) becomes a 6 seconds gap somehow), disconnections, other things... Oh and let's not forget the new bug - leaving the race early after finishing it may give you a random 20s penalty after the race for "ignoring yellow flags". I even wonder if Leagues systems work - so far, Car Performance is shown as Realistic, even if I set it to Equal...

Career Mode seems more of the same like last year, mostly - though it has it's own problems too, which I won't get into too much since I didn't play too much of it.

Braking Point - wait, people still care about that? The most linear plot ever with literally no replayability (only slightly different teams, but same story). I haven't even played it myself, watching it on YouTube was enough.

Handling - *sigh* where do I go with this... As a gamepad player - "understeer understeer understeer chronic understeer oH MY GOD TURN ALREADY", "*randomly loses car control while going straight*" and "oh you touched a kerb at a slightly different angle? alright, now spin". Oh and let's not forget the "50% brake bias or you're wasting your time" which came back from 2020. I am slightly disappointed, so to speak.

Damage Model - yeah, not even close to what we saw in early previews. And of course - "oh you touched your front wing a tiny bit? fine, you'll drive 2s slower now".

Tracks - Not having updated old tracks is not good. Spain should have been updated at least, as it is likely the smallest change.

Content removal - biggest question at this point, though I guess with the new systems in place there was no time to upgrade them all to the newer systems. Still, that's even less replayability. Again.

Performance - what is up with this game's performance... It looks equal/worse than 2020, but demands way more resources from PC... Game REALLY needs a big Optimization pass at this point.

Pricing - yeah, we talked about this, I won't comment anything else.

There were some positives though:

Damage - finally we can give damage to other places, and not only front wing. That's nice. Needs some improvement still, I think.

AI - racier for sure, if you can get the AI difficulty right. However, still dumb in out-lap/in-lap/blue-flag sittuation.

New tracks - solid work, even if Codemasters didn't use laser scan data. Though still a question as to why not just use the laser scan data available...

Full Race Replays - very useful new feature. Used to to great extent when analyzing incidents in the Leagues I race/help manage. Could get some improvements from Spectator Mode - Telemetry overlay, Timing switches (Gap to Leader, Interval, Fastest Lap; current tyres, pitstops, penalties, etc), Minimap overlay... A perfect thing would be UDP Telemetry output support in Full Race Replay, but that is probably unavailable.

F2 - still good fun.

Overall, I would say F1 2021 was worse than F1 2020 unfortunately - "Braking Point" didn't bring much into the game, while all Classic Cars content got removed for reasons (less replayability now); extended settings are nice (Car Damage Rate, SC rate, Car Damage level) but it sucks that the settings are still quite limited (No Rule selection option, No custom race amount selection for F1, Only 2 options for Corner Cutting still, etc); car handling is questionable (especially after Mercedes W12 was made available in iRacing now); New Tracks were late (understandable, I guess, but I expected at least Imola or Portimao on release or close after release) and old ones were not updated; Game Performance is quite worse compared to previous game; and not to mention bugs - some new, some quite old at this point; and of course, missing features (Red Flag, SC unlapping and proper restart, Sprint Race support, etc)...

I can only hope that Codemasters will try to do better next year. I actually would hope Codemasters made a completely new game engine for next game which would hopefully fix some of the long-standing issues, but at this point, I expect more of the same stuff for 2022, unfortunately. I will probably hold off on pre-order until the game actually releases this time.

Feel free to agree or disagree with me, but this is just currently my opinion. I probably missed a few points I wanted to make, but it's already a long post.

• Agree 2

I just got it today and played it for a few hours on a PS4Pro, T300 Base, Open Wheel Add-on, T3PA Pedals, no problems so far, really enjoying it too from last years version.  I really don't do multiplayer so can't comment on that.  Practice sessions are different, still getting used to that, overall zero complaints.  Standard mode, no assists, 100 AI.